HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Karlsson Injured Part III [YT#1] Lacerated Achilles, Surgery Required, Out Indef.

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Syckle78

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
I respect your opinion but that's hearsay.
No it isn't, it's conjecture.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:40 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Blaming victims because of the clothes they were wearing does not have the greatest history as a defense.
Believe me, when I saw him in that skirt, I knew he was asking for trouble.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Do you know what "hearsay" is?

And I'm still trying to do the math- how do those 5 make up "99% of players who have played NHL hockey"?
Someone agreeing with your assessment of what you witnessed isn't hearsay.

If MtlPensFan hadn't seen the play and used only the players' quotes to form an opinion on it, that would be hearsay.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Iggy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Edit: It's as much Karlsson's fault. Shoulda had better socks.
Pretty much every player wears those same socks. Maybe this incident will increase awareness.

There was once a time when no one wore a helmet, maybe there will be a time in the future when all players wear protective socks.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:06 PM
trellaine201

Wow Melnyk is a tool! Fine him NOW! What an ass.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:07 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Matt Carkner was just on Team 1200 and said it was "a dirty,dirty play".

I haven't heard anyone suggest that Cooke set out to sever his tendon but a number of players/former players and commentators have said it was a reckless and dangerous play, just as a number of people on here see it the same way.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
LOL, but yes, true.

Sorry Eugene, accidents DO happen....... sometime no one is to blame, just dumb **** luck.

Old
driver3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Matt Carkner was just on Team 1200 and said it was "a dirty,dirty play".

I haven't heard anyone suggest that Cooke set out to sever his tendon but a number of players/former players and commentators have said it was a reckless and dangerous play, just as a number of people on here see it the same way.
You shouldn't use quotes from former members of the team and likely friends of the player who was injured as your example.

Old
JMiller

Quote:
Believe me, when I saw him in that skirt, I knew he was asking for trouble.
In one sentence Karlsson's severed achilles turns into a **** joke #newlow. Probably just another "accident". After all there's no way we could figure out your intent when you typed this out.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:14 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Including the 99% of players who actually played NHL hockey.
There have been quit a few ex players on Ottawa radio saying they felt there was reckless intent.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:15 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver3000 View Post
You shouldn't use quotes from former members of the team and likely friends of the player who was injured as your example.
What about people who's employer decided it wasn't punishable?

Old
02-15-2013, 05:15 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I think Melnyk needs to chill out and head to Barbados again. What a nut.
To me the heads of the Sens organization (Owner & GM) are coming off as HUGE whiners. What Melnyk whined/said was a joke. Freak accidents DO happen despite what your whining anger makes you see.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:17 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
To me the heads of the Sens organization (Owner & GM) are coming off as HUGE whiners. What Melnyk whined/said was a joke. Freak accidents DO happen despite what your whining anger makes you see.
They "DO" but so "DO" dirty plays by Cooke.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
I know the league can fine coaches and players for comments, but can they fine owners? I'm not sure that's under their jurisdiction.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:19 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Unfortunately, when the same player is continually involved it would lead one to believe that it's more than freakish, as you contend. Matt Cooke could be replaced by any one of dozens of players and, at this point, the league would be better off without him. I'm sure the Penguins have somebody in the minors who could step in for him in a flash.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:30 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver3000 View Post
Lets see-should we exclude all Swedes as well as anyone who has ever played with him or may have known him at one time?Players have played at one time or another with many other players in the league.They can be rivals and/or friends but still form their own opinions. Carkner plays for the Islanders now-who knows. he could be bitter about the Sens not resigning him.

Jason York said that players told him it was no accident. Sean Donovan and another player tried to recreate the play as they found the raising of one foot and then bringing it down with force angled toward the back of the leg to be suspect. Again no one is suggesting that he planned to slice his achilles, but he
was definatly reckless.

It is far from a consensus that players think it was a totally innocent and accidental play.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
Unfortunately, when the same player is continually involved it would lead one to believe that it's more than freakish, as you contend. Matt Cooke could be replaced by any one of dozens of players and, at this point, the league would be better off without him. I'm sure the Penguins have somebody in the minors who could step in for him in a flash.
Yes, I'm sure there are many in the Pens system they can call up tomorrow without missing a beat that can score a fair amount of goals, kill penalties, forecheck, etc just like Cooke. But they don't because the Pens would rather have Cooke around so he can hurt people.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
They "DO" but so "DO" dirty plays by Cooke.
No way! Really? So do accidental plays by Cooke!.... but because of the name on the jersey everyone immediately goes to it being on purpose when its more then likely a freak accident. People will see what they want to see when anger comes in to the conversation.

Quote:
The league would also be better off without Owners whining in the media when they are clearly still mad & also trying to tell another owner/organization how to run their team.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Yeah, the Pens totally have a guy in Wilkes-Barre that's capable of scoring 15 goals and 35 points a year, while being very physical and one of the better PKers in the NHL.

They're just keeping Cooke and paying him 1.8 million for fun.

Cooke's a good player, if all he could do was hurt people, he'd have been out of the league years ago.

There's a reason why guys like Cooke have good careers while guys like Ryan Hollweg last few a seasons and then fade into obscurity.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:38 PM
oilexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy River View Post
Exactly what I had alluded to in an earlier post. His deflective comments and indications of 'having no idea' what happened - prove he is at least partly lying, covering up his guilt.
ďObviously, Iím sorry that Mr. Melnyk feels that way. But I understand the position that heís in. Itís not easy,Ē Cooke told the Sun. ďI obviously felt bad about the cut and just hope that he has a fast recovery. I know itís not fast, but as fast as possible.

listen to the "Obvious" Liar now...

Old
02-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Slow Hands
The feels

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yeah no biggie, the best player on our team and reigning Norris winner was lost for the season due to a perennial scum bag. What a bunch of a whiners. How dare they be angry about it.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:39 PM
GodlyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyDump View Post
Cooke has been warned by his team, and by the league. Do you not think they're looking for a reason to get rid of him the next time he crosses the line and does something stupid?

I'm pretty sure this is a serious enough event that would warrant him being kicked out of the league......if it was intentional!

Why is it that everyone is ignoring the comments by opponents, opposing coaches, analysts, former players etc? (all saying it was clean and accidental) Why are they ignoring the replays that they showed of the Blues and Wings game where it happened the exact same way, fortunately without the cutting! But the players did hit the same way, with a leg in the air.

It happens hundreds of times a season and nobody is worried about it at all because fortunately the skates haven't cut anyone. The one freak time it does, everyone is up in arms and saying it's a dirty intentional hit.

A short time after Subban cut Staal, he actually stomped on Cooke's skate and sliced all the laces. Wasn't intentional, it was an accident, but you didn't see the Penguins going crazy and claiming he was a stomper and that he went after two of their players with his skate. LOL
Maybe it has never happened before because no one ever did it on purpose.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Lets see-should we exclude all Swedes as well as anyone who has ever played with him or may have known him at one time?Players have played at one time or another with many other players in the league.They can be rivals and/or friends but still form their own opinions. Carkner plays for the Islanders now-who knows. he could be bitter about the Sens not resigning him.

Jason York said that players told him it was no accident. Sean Donovan and another player tried to recreate the play as they found the raising of one foot and then bringing it down with force angled toward the back of the leg to be suspect. Again no one is suggesting that he planned to slice his achilles, but he
was definatly reckless.

It is far from a consensus that players think it was a totally innocent and accidental play.
Plenty of people can see that this wasn't an accident. So no it's not the consensus.

...and im sick of Sens fans speaking for other Sens fans.

What about Karlsson, I bet he believes this wasn't accidental.

I love how Cooke is now the victim.

edit: this rant is in agreement with the post quoted.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hands View Post
Yeah no biggie, the best player on our team and reigning Norris winner was lost for the season due to a perennial scum bag. What a bunch of a whiners. How dare they be angry about it.
Understandable, but they should be professional enough to not let their emotions get to them in front of the media.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hands View Post
They have every right to be angry that their best player is injured & that their season is pretty much over but nearly everyone in the hockey world is saying that its a freak accident on a routine hockey play! Yet your owner & GM are crying about Cooke's history & coming off as complete babies about the League's POV because they think Cooke meant to do it. They are letting their emotions get the better of them which is never a good thing.

Closed Thread