HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

IF you had to trade one, who would it be?

View Poll Results: If you had to trade one, who would it be?
Eller 26 11.02%
Desharnais 210 88.98%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KadoCH View Post
DD at the draft, neither this season.
He is a RFA and you ain't gonna get much for him if you trade him at the draft

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Frankenheimer

I don't see how a center that produced 60 points last season would bring only minimal return. If the tables were turned, we'd be highly interested in a center with that kind of past performance. At the very least, he should net a second rounder, if not late first.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:37 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Plekanec is 5'11" 196lbs and strong on his skates, I wouldn't consider him a "small body" by any means.
Good point. I suppose compared to DD, Gionta, and Gally, he would be considered large. Though He looks more like 5'9" than 5'11".

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:38 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
DD:. 88 points in 143 games
Eller: 52 points in 174 games.

DD is paid 500k less than Eller.

Of course, Eller is tall, blond, beautiful -
DD is small, not attractive and most of all born in Quebec.

So for all these "great" reasons, Eller must be kept and DD traded to Chicago.... In the AHL, because of course, DD is not NHL caliber.
Good job addressing the many legitimate actual reasons people prefer Eller over DD.

You also think that Habs fans of all people want Eller over DD because the latter is 'born in Quebec'? What? That makes no sense. On the contrary, to me it means that whoever brought it up wants him on the team because he's 'un gars de chez nous'.

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Depends on the return we would get for DD or Eller.
You gave the ONLY logical answer. Other posters were chasing butterflies by voting for the player they like less without thinking about what's best for the team.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:44 PM
habsfanatics

I voted DD, but I don't see a scenario where we are ever forced to trade either one.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Care to elaborate, please?
Soft, easy to knock around, 50ish points. You can be small in this league if you have another great attribute. Jarvis was great defensively, Briere is excellent offensively but DD excellent at neither

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:48 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
You do realize Eller was absolutely ****** at faceoff yesterday. Desharnais have been able to keep the play alive in the O-Zone on multiple occasion by sheer tenacity.

People don't give enough credit to DD because they see him getting pushed around easily. Thing is; DD still manage to steal or hold on the puck more often than not when it happens.
You do know Eller > DD in faceoffs all year long right?

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:52 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Voted Eller. On the assumption that he's the only one of the two we'd get anything good for. I don't see the point in trading Desharnais for a 3rd round pick or whatever. At least in trading Eller I'd dare to hope we actually got something really good in return.

But you can't really ask the question in isolation. You have to say would you rather trade "Eller for XXXXX" vs. "Desharnais for YYYYYY"... the return and if/how it improves our hockey team is all that matters.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Playing the devil's advocate here..

-Desharnais produced over PPG pace 2 years in a row in the AHL.
-DD's produced 60 points in the NHL
-Eller (with worse minutes and linemates) produced 28 points. We don't know for sure what his offensive upside is. He could have a 45 point ceiling for all I know...
-DD's always been a Plus player in the AHL and NHL
-Cause and Effect has not been clearly determined in the MaxPac-Cole-DD slow-motion car crash. Did all 3 just decide not to suit up this season? Is it Cole? What's up with MaxPac?
Gionta - Team Captain
Gallagher
Dumont

All 5'9'' and under that will likely be on the team come September, none can be reasonably expected to be on a line with DD. Is DD good enough to mold an entire lineup after him?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:02 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I hate polls like this. What are we getting offered for each player? Which guy is going to be cheaper going forward since they will likely be the 3rd line centre?

I see no reason, at this point, to trade either though. What I do see a need to change is MT's brain. We have 9 offensive players.. put them together.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:07 PM
BlackStar

At the very least, Eller will/is be a very very good 3rd line centre. However, he would make for a good 2nd line centre also. Having Gally, Plex, and Eller as our top 3 centres for years to come would be great.

I wouldn't move DD yet (or maybe, at all) until he racks up some points as a winger.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:09 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I hate polls like this. What are we getting offered for each player? Which guy is going to be cheaper going forward since they will likely be the 3rd line centre?

I see no reason, at this point, to trade either though. What I do see a need to change is MT's brain. We have 9 offensive players.. put them together.
I agree with the bolded part. I also hate the desire on this board to put players against each other. The DD vs Eller nonsense has been going on for a while, the Markov vs Subban foolish war is a new one though.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

If we trade DD I'm not confident enough in eller to shoulder that load consistently. He still has alot to prove.

I don;t want to trade eller either because I still think he can be a top 2 centre... I'm just not entirely sure.

So you don't trade either at this point.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:19 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
You do know Eller > DD in faceoffs all year long right?
Only because Therrien stopped the hemmorage and sent Moen and Armstrong do the Faceoff after Eller proved to be inept at it yesterday. Otherwise Eller's FO stats would be even more atrocious.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:32 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

DD will be traded before being moved to the wing, there is no way he plays on the wing. In todays NHL for a small guy to play wing, you need to be a great scorer ex Cammy, or bit a grinding game, ex Gallagher, Gionta, St Louis.

In today NHL size has become more important on the wing, than it is for centres.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:33 PM
ChoseLa

The only reason i choose Eller is because of physical attribute. Love DD but Habs can't have 1/3 of its top 9 being under 5"8. I'd trade Gio before him but i doubt we could get any interesting return or even a trading partner.

Eller has a lot to prove to claim to be as good as Davie little.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:40 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Voted Eller. On the assumption that he's the only one of the two we'd get anything good for. I don't see the point in trading Desharnais for a 3rd round pick or whatever. At least in trading Eller I'd dare to hope we actually got something really good in return.

But you can't really ask the question in isolation. You have to say would you rather trade "Eller for XXXXX" vs. "Desharnais for YYYYYY"... the return and if/how it improves our hockey team is all that matters.
I took it to mean who would you trade if they both brought in the same return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post

Maybe they could try Eller with DD on the wing... DD Eller Cole. Why not try it? You've got a line that isn't working and you've got a centerman playing with scrubs. Go put Eller with those other two guys and leave Max with the Gallys.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:42 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
I don't see how a center that produced 60 points last season would bring only minimal return. If the tables were turned, we'd be highly interested in a center with that kind of past performance. At the very least, he should net a second rounder, if not late first.
He did it once. He's abysmal on the draw and in his own end. He plays sheltered minutes.

You don't think teams know that?

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:57 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
DD played a season with:

- 81 games, no injuries
- two really good power forwards for wingers
- tons of ozone starts
- 3 minutes a game of PP time
- easy matchups
- anomalous shot percentage

There are 40 or 50 or more players in the NHL who could have done better in that situation.

DD would have needed to score 80 points to justify having the team built around his needs.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

vCash: 246
Id have no problem with this lineup:

Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Cole
Prust-Eller-Gallagher
Moen-White-Armstrong

swap gallagher and cole if you please

Last edited by Marc Bergevins Suit: 02-15-2013 at 04:29 PM. Reason: edit: voted to trade eller by accident...id move DD without flinching
Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Kjell Dahlin

From a Team perspective, it’s better to keep both players.

If Eller ever learns to play wing (he did look good as a LW alongside Desharnais and Cole btw), he will get regular top3 lines duties. Streit’s (a freakin’ D!) first strides in the NHL were on wing, Desharnais looked good with Gionta and Gomez, even Seguin and Zetterberg cracked the NHL after playing wings.

Why can’t Eller do the same?

As for Desharnais, the guy is a cap friendly and solid (each games he comes to work, good vision, high compete level, good production, decent FO%...) #2 NHL center. As long as he does not ask for 4M$+, he is a good asset.

Head-up: based on saints96’s history (links in reserve to prove my claim), “French” seems to be a topic of discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
How anyone can say they'd keep Desharnais after his horrible start to the year? He's **** at faceoffs, **** at battling for the puck, **** at basically everything a centre has to have fundamentally.
Since last season, Desharnais is better than Eller in the faceoff circle.

This season, Desharnais struggled in the faceoff circle but lately, in case you missed it, Therrien is sending Desharnais instead of Eller when there is an important defensive zone FO to take.

And btw, until recently, Eller was as invisible and ineffective as Desharnais so I don’t understand why you seem to be so upset about this. Both players are playing solid hockey right now.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
DD played a season with:

- 81 games, no injuries
- two really good power forwards for wingers
- tons of ozone starts
- 3 minutes a game of PP time
- easy matchups
- anomalous shot percentage

There are 40 or 50 or more players in the NHL who could have done better in that situation.

DD would have needed to score 80 points to justify having the team built around his needs.
In case you "missed it", I did reply to your post in here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=600

You tried to build a straw man (according to you, plenty of people considered Desharnais as a better player than Plekanec) and I call you out on it. Keep on pushing your anti-Desharnais agenda.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 02-15-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:13 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
DD:. 88 points in 143 games

Eller: 52 points in 174 games.

DD is paid 500k less than Eller.

Of course, Eller is tall, blond, beautiful -

DD is small, not attractive and most of all born in Quebec.

So for all these "great" reasons, Eller must be kept and DD traded to Chicago.... In the AHL, because of course, DD is not NHL caliber.
If you hate Quebecers so much then get the **** out of this province.

If there's anything I can't stand it's a self hating Quebecer like this guy.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Both.. After, we take their DNA and create a human hybrid of them.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Here:

Habs Choices: When Politics Enters the Mix

Last edited by Habsterix*: 02-15-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote