HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Broken Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-10-2006, 10:06 AM
  #1
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Broken Sticks

I go through sticks at a much higher rate than anyone I know, 10 games on average I would guess. I am definitely not gentle with them but I was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences. The wooden sticks constantly break at the heel or blade and the composite or metal shaft one break in the middle of the shaft. Haven't tried the Synergy types because of their record of blowing up.

Anyone else have similar experiences and found a stick that lasted longer?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:18 AM
  #2
TBLfan
Registered User
 
TBLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
find yourself something like a red lite, that should hold up well. Mine is a tank.

P.S. DO NOT buy a synergy SL or XXX lite.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 12:11 PM
  #3
Doctor Hook
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
I use a Sher-Wood 5030 Coffey model and they hold up real well, I'd say over a 20 games or pickups before I notice any cracking. Granted, it all depends on your position and style of play. I'm a defenseman so I don't take too many shots per game.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 12:14 PM
  #4
FLYLine24*
 
FLYLine24*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
I go through sticks at a much higher rate than anyone I know, 10 games on average I would guess. I am definitely not gentle with them but I was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences. The wooden sticks constantly break at the heel or blade and the composite or metal shaft one break in the middle of the shaft. Haven't tried the Synergy types because of their record of blowing up.

Anyone else have similar experiences and found a stick that lasted longer?
In about 1,000 youth/adult games ive watched, reffed or played in ive seen a total of 4 or 5 synergy type sticks break. These stick do not break easy at all..unless your a 220 pound NHL player who really abuses the stick.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:59 PM
  #5
TBLfan
Registered User
 
TBLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
depends on what kind of synergy, the SL is relatively easy to break.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 03:30 PM
  #6
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,943
vCash: 500
I used to break sticks really regularly. I couldn't use wood at all, now that I've dropped down, the sticks seem to hold up better. I'd suggest staying with the Vector line of products.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 10:20 PM
  #7
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,122
vCash: 373
I have a Synergy SL the 07 model with Heatly curve, I dont have any fears of breaking it, because out of my 10-20 shots i take a game, 2 are slapshots if that, it's not that I have a bad slap shot... Oh yes I do it rises faster than a plane taking off. But also I'm more of a twisted wrister guy. If you use the Slapshot alot you might wanna go for something with a stiffer flex even though the Synergy' are still good sticks,

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 10:08 AM
  #8
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Thanks for the input.

Might as well try the one piece and see how that works out.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 08:45 AM
  #9
nni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,715
vCash: 500
i use the wood easton classics, and suddenly i am going through them in a matter of a few games. they used to last much longer. i am switching to a warrior shaft, so we shall see.

nni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 12:12 PM
  #10
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
1. What is your height/weight?

2. What stick are you using? (Brand, model, flex)

You could be using the wrong flex. THe best wooden sticks are Montreal and Sher-Wood IMO. I worked at a rink and we found Synergys around after games that had broken at the heel more than the shaft.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 10:19 PM
  #11
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,030
vCash: 500
I go through them even faster than that. I went through I think probably around 13 one piece sticks this past year and I only played in probably 35 games, maybe more, but I had a fair number of practices.

I had a 2 Vapor XXX's, a couple XXX-Lites, 2 synergy SL's, 2 Vapor XX's, a synergy ST, a warrior Dolomite just recently, and a Stealth. The stealth was the only stick that I haven't broken or had a problem with, but its the old stealth and it was a warranty replacement for one that I broke after 2 games. Worst durability by far is the XXX-Lite, followed by the XX and then the XXX. All of those, I'm hoping the Bauer One90 Stick coming out soon is going to be durable.

I'd suggest a synergy ST, i never broke it. The SL's break easily. I don't have a super powerful shot, it's accurate with a quick release but I get my sticks slashed all the time because I have the puck on my stick more than anyone else usually in my games so that's how mine break.

Go with the ST IMO and I've heard the new stealths have all these new slashguard reinforcements in the shaft and I've shot with one, it's a nice stick, it just depends what you want or what level you play also, Synergies have the best durability even over the dolomite which was supposed to be super durbale, it broke on the inside and feels like when you have a loose blade in a shaft when u hold it.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 06:59 PM
  #12
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeffyuhTJRest View Post
1. What is your height/weight?

2. What stick are you using? (Brand, model, flex)

You could be using the wrong flex. THe best wooden sticks are Montreal and Sher-Wood IMO. I worked at a rink and we found Synergys around after games that had broken at the heel more than the shaft.
5' 10" and 195 pounds. I have a hard shot which admittedly is more brute force than technique.

I've tried every brand of wooden stick with no success.

Bought a CCM Vector today with a stiff flex so we will see how that goes.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 04:58 PM
  #13
dbbourn
Registered User
 
dbbourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,100
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
5' 10" and 195 pounds. I have a hard shot which admittedly is more brute force than technique.

I've tried every brand of wooden stick with no success.

Bought a CCM Vector today with a stiff flex so we will see how that goes.
Good luck! I'm a similar size, similar shot description, and I go through a Vector about every 10 games. Over the past 2 weeks I have broken in half 2 CCM Vectors and just can't afford it anymore. I am starting to convert the sticks that broke at the blade. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to convert the CCM's, but I have about 6 Synergies left that broke at the blade. I just cut the blade off and flip the stick. So far the shot is a little different, but it still is pretty light and only cost me about $40, compared to the $200 before.

dbbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 02:41 PM
  #14
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbourn View Post
Good luck! I'm a similar size, similar shot description, and I go through a Vector about every 10 games. Over the past 2 weeks I have broken in half 2 CCM Vectors and just can't afford it anymore. I am starting to convert the sticks that broke at the blade. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to convert the CCM's, but I have about 6 Synergies left that broke at the blade. I just cut the blade off and flip the stick. So far the shot is a little different, but it still is pretty light and only cost me about $40, compared to the $200 before.
Do not flip the stick. Get Easton Synthesis or TPS R2 tapered hosel blades. They will fit. This way you'll preserve the kick point flex of your Synergy.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 02:53 PM
  #15
TBLfan
Registered User
 
TBLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Which Vectors are you guys talking about? There's like 10 different versions of vectors.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 10:52 PM
  #16
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Which Vectors are you guys talking about? There's like 10 different versions of vectors.
The V110's for me. The V120 grip peeled and the V130's scared me off after their initial runs **** the bed and they were recalled.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 08:29 AM
  #17
TBLfan
Registered User
 
TBLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
I'd stay away from that line of sticks, although they are good deals right now on closeouts of those sticks the .0 series is better. I have a friend with a 10.0 and that thing is pretty sweet. It feels light but durable, I think the 8.0 is almost as good as 10.0 but cheaper... It's also a very long stick, which is nice because I like my stick long(used to be at about 63" but recently I went down to 60").

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 01:39 PM
  #18
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,943
vCash: 500
I will only speak from experience, I haven't had enough of with the Vector .0 line to make any statements on durability, which is the persons main focus.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 10:11 AM
  #19
theprogoalie777
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to theprogoalie777
Vapour XXX are strong so they wont break easy and they r also really light

theprogoalie777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 11:38 AM
  #20
BuppY
Registered User
 
BuppY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,162
vCash: 500
I break a lot of shafts.

BuppY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 12:13 PM
  #21
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theprogoalie777 View Post
Vapour XXX are strong so they wont break easy and they r also really light
I'd have to disagree due to my personal experiences with them. I had 3 Vapor XXX's but each lasted me less than 3 weeks as I'm a finesse player, lot of stickhandling and quick snapshot but no slapshots, just from the wear of other players broke 3, they couldn't stand up against strong competition. Maybe in a rec league or where there's less chippyness to a game but if you're playing higher up travel or something like that they won't last. I also had 2 XXX-Lites. I broke one the first game I had it after one period, and the other one broke 3 weeks later on a wrist shot from nearly the blueline.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 01:52 PM
  #22
dbbourn
Registered User
 
dbbourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,100
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Do not flip the stick. Get Easton Synthesis or TPS R2 tapered hosel blades. They will fit. This way you'll preserve the kick point flex of your Synergy.
The inside of the CCM Vectors 110's that I have don't seem to be the same thickness all the way around and the Synergies that I have contain some sort of reinforcement in them, which forces me to flip to the other end. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it just doesn't seem possible and I wouldn't feel comfortable with a thinner blade given the number of sticks I go through. The last one I broke was the CCM 10.0. It was great, but the shaft broke in half after about 8 games.

dbbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 02:34 PM
  #23
TBLfan
Registered User
 
TBLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbourn View Post
The inside of the CCM Vectors 110's that I have don't seem to be the same thickness all the way around and the Synergies that I have contain some sort of reinforcement in them, which forces me to flip to the other end. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it just doesn't seem possible and I wouldn't feel comfortable with a thinner blade given the number of sticks I go through. The last one I broke was the CCM 10.0. It was great, but the shaft broke in half after about 8 games.
Yeah that's a taper, you need a tapered blade.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 03:25 PM
  #24
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 10,643
vCash: 500
if you can find the old easton z core shafts - they are awesome. they have silver tips where the blade goes in. they are part aluminum and part graphite.i ve had one for years, it wont break.

ive never had a 110 flex that broke quick on me. im a big guy, so 110 isnt an issue - you may not want to use such a flex, but if you want longevity its a good way to go. i also found that when you put a tapered blade into a broken synergy, those shafts seem to last a lot longer than actual synergies. i had one for about 6 months, never broke it and im a big guy who swings his stick quite a bit.

synergy 2 shafts break easy.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 05:33 PM
  #25
theprogoalie777
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to theprogoalie777
If your a goalie!

Sher wood sticks are horrible goalie sticks, they snap like a twig if anyone steps on it!

theprogoalie777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.