HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Coffee Shop Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-15-2013, 05:16 PM
  #376
Rgolt
Registered User
 
Rgolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: montreal, qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
Let's go back a season.
Now let's remove Cole and Pacio from the mix.
Does DD get 60 pts?
ntm if you would have given eller the same wingers, he would have done just as good if not better. We finally have our big and skilled center and people wanna trade him, it baffles me. BTW well never win with DD as our 2nd line center, and he cant play 3rd line, so he either needs to move to wing, or we should trade him as his value is as high as it will ever be

Rgolt is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:16 PM
  #377
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 23,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
Let's go back a season.
Now let's remove Cole and Pacio from the mix.
Does DD get 60 pts?
He would have played with Eller, so, no.

EDIT : Last year's version of Eller.

MXD is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:17 PM
  #378
compile
Give me Scotch!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vaughan, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 693
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Like I said before, Habs get ROR signed to $5m, Subban will walk when his contract expires.

Would you re-sign with a team knowing they undercut you hard, only to learn their aquistion who was also a hold out, gets what he wanted?

No, I'd walk for the reason that the team believes in someone that has never played a game for them and they hardly play against, but that's just me.

__________________
Originally Posted by Jeffonfire
There's no ghosts... only god exists. Luckily, he is our netminder.
Originall Posted by hockeyfan2k11
Winning is not the #1 thing. They want to win THEIR way.....even if it means they're handicapping themselves.
compile is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:18 PM
  #379
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 23,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
ntm if you would have given eller the same wingers, he would have done just as good if not better. We finally have our big and skilled center and people wanna trade him, it baffles me. BTW well never win with DD as our 2nd line center, and he cant play 3rd line, so he either needs to move to wing, or we should trade him as his value is as high as it will ever be
I fail to see what the drafting of Alex Galchenyuk has to do with this thread.

MXD is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:19 PM
  #380
disturbedraven
Lets rock
 
disturbedraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
Like I said before, Habs get ROR signed to $5m, Subban will walk when his contract expires.

Would you re-sign with a team knowing they undercut you hard, only to learn their aquistion who was also a hold out, gets what he wanted?

No, I'd walk for the reason that the team believes in someone that has never played a game for them and they hardly play against, but that's just me.
People who can't understand this have no hope

disturbedraven is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:20 PM
  #381
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 23,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
Like I said before, Habs get ROR signed to $5m, Subban will walk when his contract expires.

Would you re-sign with a team knowing they undercut you hard, only to learn their aquistion who was also a hold out, gets what he wanted?

No, I'd walk for the reason that the team believes in someone that has never played a game for them and they hardly play against, but that's just me.
This guy just makes way too much sense. Roughly same age. 2nd contract. Was good in what was ultimately a losing cause.

MXD is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:20 PM
  #382
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Even if you are right, and Eller has no offensive upside...

He is an effective defensive shutdown center. That is very valuable to have.

If that is truly the case, then why are people complaining about the role he is playing here in Montreal. Obviously Therrien thinks that is defensive abilities outweigh his offensive abilities.

I have serious doubts that Therrien is intentionally keeping Eller off of the top lines to prove a point or because he does not care if Eller would help the team offensively.

There is a reason why Eller is getting what he gets. Past history supports that.

Eller will make good trade bait for a team looking for a defensive minded Center. Unfortunately, we need a little bit more offensive production from this team.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:20 PM
  #383
Rgolt
Registered User
 
Rgolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: montreal, qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I fail to see what the drafting of Alex Galchenyuk has to do with this thread.
I know this was a joke anyways, but although Galchenyuk is incredibly skilled, hes not big, nor does he play big

Rgolt is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:23 PM
  #384
Rgolt
Registered User
 
Rgolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: montreal, qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
If that is truly the case, then why are people complaining about the role he is playing here in Montreal. Obviously Therrien thinks that is defensive abilities outweigh his offensive abilities.

I have serious doubts that Therrien is intentionally keeping Eller off of the top lines to prove a point or because he does not care if Eller would help the team offensively.

There is a reason why Eller is getting what he gets. Past history supports that.

Eller will make good trade bait for a team looking for a defensive minded Center. Unfortunately, we need a little bit more offensive production from this team.
Yes and the reason is some weird obsession with DD even though he is terrible defensively, very small, and clearly needs to moved to wing

Rgolt is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:25 PM
  #385
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
ntm if you would have given eller the same wingers, he would have done just as good if not better. We finally have our big and skilled center and people wanna trade him, it baffles me. BTW well never win with DD as our 2nd line center, and he cant play 3rd line, so he either needs to move to wing, or we should trade him as his value is as high as it will ever be
You are making my point.

Do we need a Center who will ride the coat tails of his wingers and either sink or swim based upon the success of his wingers.

Or do we need a Center who will make the plays and be an influence on his wingers to improve their success.

Again, Eller is overrated significantly here. He is not that "skilled". His stats and results do not show it.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:26 PM
  #386
rockjngo
Registered User
 
rockjngo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
I think Avs would certainly do Lars Eller for Ryan O'Reilly.

Eller plays behind Statsny and Duchene. Plus Eller's got size 6'2" 210lbs but he isn't as offensive as O'Reilly who is 6'0" 200lbs. Eller takes like $1.8 mil, O'Reilly probably will make $3 mil.

It makes sense for both teams.

O'Reilly gives MTL a 2nd line offensive center who can play both ends. Plekanec-O'Reilly-Galchenyuk centering our 3 lines gives us more balance. We can move Desharnais to the wing .

rockjngo is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:27 PM
  #387
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 10,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
If that is truly the case, then why are people complaining about the role he is playing here in Montreal. Obviously Therrien thinks that is defensive abilities outweigh his offensive abilities.

I have serious doubts that Therrien is intentionally keeping Eller off of the top lines to prove a point or because he does not care if Eller would help the team offensively.

There is a reason why Eller is getting what he gets. Past history supports that.

Eller will make good trade bait for a team looking for a defensive minded Center. Unfortunately, we need a little bit more offensive production from this team.
Look up has stats, he is very good defensively.

Last year, the PK was as grid with Eller on the ice as without... the second best PK in the league!

I am one of the people complaining. Basically, maybe Eller sucks offensive as you say
.. But why not find out? Just run the experiment for the first time in Eller's career... 6 or 7 games with Cole and Pacioretty as wingers... An experiment to learn the truth... Unlike our history with mcdonagh, leclaure, etc

DAChampion is online now  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:27 PM
  #388
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 23,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
I know this was a joke anyways, but although Galchenyuk is incredibly skilled, hes not big, nor does he play big
http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...galchal01.html
http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...ellerla01.html

If one isn't big, the other isn't as well.

Before you say that Eller got bigger : Remember Galchenyuk is significantly younger, and that gaining weight between 18 and 23 is pretty common.

The same can be said for the playing big part as well. Eller sortof play big now, and that's a good thing, really. And he certainly plays way bigger than he did for his first season here.

If anything, the worst decision regarding Eller is probably the one to keep him with the Habs in 10-11. Should've been in the A.

MXD is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:28 PM
  #389
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 23,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
I think Avs would certainly do Lars Eller for Ryan O'Reilly.

Eller plays behind Statsny and Duchene. Plus Eller's got size 6'2" 210lbs but he isn't as offensive as O'Reilly who is 6'0" 200lbs. Eller takes like $1.8 mil, O'Reilly probably will make $3 mil.

It makes sense for both teams.

O'Reilly gives MTL a 2nd line offensive center who can play both ends. Plekanec-O'Reilly-Galchenyuk centering our 3 lines gives us more balance. We can move Desharnais to the wing .
Didn't he just refused 3.5 ?!?!?

MXD is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:29 PM
  #390
Rgolt
Registered User
 
Rgolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: montreal, qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
You are making my point.

Do we need a Center who will ride the coat tails of his wingers and either sink or swim based upon the success of his wingers.

Or do we need a Center who will make the plays and be an influence on his wingers to improve their success.

Again, Eller is overrated significantly here. He is not that "skilled". His stats and results do not show it.
This is stupid, Im sorry, the only center that could put up points playing with guys like Moen, Armstrong, and Darche, is Crsoby, and even so, Crosby would not be able to put up his normal numbers.
In fact, to prove MY point, Eller has even been putting up points with these scraps (5 points, same as DD and less games) so he is defintely not riding the coat tails of his wingers, Im just saying imagine what he could do with skilled players. You wanna know someone who is riding his wingers though, Desharnais

Rgolt is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:32 PM
  #391
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
Yes and the reason is some weird obsession with DD even though he is terrible defensively, very small, and clearly needs to moved to wing
I think that I am seeing the disconnect now.

DD has no effect whatsoever on Eller. They are on separate lines. DD determines whether he scores. Same with Eller. He is responsible for his own success.

If Eller wants to move up to a scoring line, then prove to Therrien that he deserves it. Just because he has a huge fan following on HFBoards does not make it so.

Eller is getting plenty of chances to score goals (by his shot numbers). But, he isnt. Change that lack of production into success and Eller will move right up.

When Eller takes a shot and does not score a goal, how is that the fault of Armstrong or Moen?

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:33 PM
  #392
Rgolt
Registered User
 
Rgolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: montreal, qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...galchal01.html
http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...ellerla01.html

If one isn't big, the other isn't as well.

Before you say that Eller got bigger : Remember Galchenyuk is significantly younger, and that gaining weight between 18 and 23 is pretty common.

The same can be said for the playing big part as well. Eller sortof play big now, and that's a good thing, really. And he certainly plays way bigger than he did for his first season here.

If anything, the worst decision regarding Eller is probably the one to keep him with the Habs in 10-11. Should've been in the A.
If Galchenyuk is indeed 6'1 196, which i kind of find hard believing, then thats even worse. I know hes 19, and in no way am I discounting his play; however, besides last game, I dont think Ive even seen him finish a check, let alone even hit a guy. He doesnt play that type of game, he may develop it abit as hes still 19, but I dont think thats the type of game he'll play, whereas were seeing Eller do that now. Obviously things can change like it did with Eller, but i think its less likely with Gally

Rgolt is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:35 PM
  #393
Rgolt
Registered User
 
Rgolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: montreal, qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I think that I am seeing the disconnect now.

DD has no effect whatsoever on Eller. They are on separate lines. DD determines whether he scores. Same with Eller. He is responsible for his own success.

If Eller wants to move up to a scoring line, then prove to Therrien that he deserves it. Just because he has a huge fan following on HFBoards does not make it so.

Eller is getting plenty of chances to score goals (by his shot numbers). But, he isnt. Change that lack of production into success and Eller will move right up.

When Eller takes a shot and does not score a goal, how is that the fault of Armstrong or Moen?
If you have not noticed through the past 5-6 games that Eller should be moving up and DD down, then you clearly are not watching the games. Eller has been making something out of nothing, and its not just HF noticing it, the announcers on TSN have been commending the play of the 4th line. Whereas DD has been giving our 2 best wingers and all the TSN announcers say about our supposed 1st line is they need to wake up

Rgolt is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:36 PM
  #394
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 23,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
In fact, to prove MY point, Eller has even been putting up points with these scraps (5 points, same as DD and less games) so he is defintely not riding the coat tails of his wingers
But he indeed got 60% of his points while playing with...

MXD is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:37 PM
  #395
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 23,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
If Galchenyuk is indeed 6'1 196, which i kind of find hard believing, then thats even worse. I know hes 19, and in no way am I discounting his play; however, besides last game, I dont think Ive even seen him finish a check, let alone even hit a guy. He doesnt play that type of game, he may develop it abit as hes still 19, but I dont think thats the type of game he'll play, whereas were seeing Eller do that now. Obviously things can change like it did with Eller, but i think its less likely with Gally
Why exactly?!?!?

Because Gally's name ends by "uk" ?!?!?!

MXD is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:39 PM
  #396
Rgolt
Registered User
 
Rgolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: montreal, qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
But he indeed got 60% of his points while playing with...
and DDs only good game of the season was with Eller, works both ways

Rgolt is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:39 PM
  #397
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
If you have not noticed through the past 5-6 games that Eller should be moving up and DD down, then you clearly are not watching the games. Eller has been making something out of nothing, and its not just HF noticing it, the announcers on TSN have been commending the play of the 4th line. Whereas DD has been giving our 2 best wingers and all the TSN announcers say about our supposed 1st line is they need to wake up
Cole and Pacioretty are struggling this year. The blame does not fall on DD for those struggles.

You are using wishful thinking if you think Eller would improve their play.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:39 PM
  #398
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
I know this was a joke anyways, but although Galchenyuk is incredibly skilled, hes not big, nor does he play big
Agree with you and in fact I asked a question regarding this to the effect of whether he is just young, thus the musculature isn't there.

It's not like there aren't any 18-19 year olds who aren't 30lbs heavier than what he looks like, so I am a little concerned, cuz he's going to need to be bigger to live up to his potential.

edit: just to make it relevant - Chucky should be taking the roids that Eller was in the off-season!

habtastic is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:40 PM
  #399
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 23,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
If you have not noticed through the past 5-6 games that Eller should be moving up and DD down, then you clearly are not watching the games. Eller has been making something out of nothing, and its not just HF noticing it, the announcers on TSN have been commending the play of the 4th line. Whereas DD has been giving our 2 best wingers and all the TSN announcers say about our supposed 1st line is they need to wake up
If you think that Erik Cole plays like one of our Top-2 wingers, then you probably haven't been watching ANY game whatsoever.

MXD is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:41 PM
  #400
Rgolt
Registered User
 
Rgolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: montreal, qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Why exactly?!?!?

Because Gally's name ends by "uk" ?!?!?!
not at all, its just because they play different games, for the past 2 years Ellers been developed as a 3rd line checking center, so his role was to get bigger and to finish his checks. Gally is being groomed to be our top center for hopefully the next 10 years, so as long as hes scoring and putting up points no one will be worrying about him hitting, whereas Eller needs that to help him stay in the lineup

Rgolt is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.