HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 way blockbuster deal involving Sharks, Sens and Hawks

Old
07-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Johnny Utah

vCash: 500
The Kings aren't going anywhere unless they have goal scoring. Even Chicago has the potential to have a more potent 1st line with Calder-Ruutu-Havlat. I don't even know who the Kings are gonna have on the 1st line Conroy, Frolov, and ..?. O'Sullivan is unproven, Brown hasn't shown top 6 goal scoring yet, and Cammy, well, Kings can't put all the scoring on one line...

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 10:49 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont View Post
anything that softens up the sharks D is ok by me...
File under: Give me a break. San Jose could easily afford to give up Preissing... essentially he is replaced by Matt Carle... (Hannan, Ehrhoff, McLaren, Davison, Gorges, Fahey...) and they still have one of my favorite prospects, Doug Murray waiting in the wings (With Spang, Vlasic and Wishart coming up into the system...) This team (the Sharks) is very deep... and their defense will be just fine. Now Ottawa... Corvo and Preissing in the D-mix... that's gonna be interesting

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 11:02 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post
File under: Give me a break. San Jose could easily afford to give up Preissing... essentially he is replaced by Matt Carle... (Hannan, Ehrhoff, McLaren, Davison, Gorges, Fahey...) and they still have one of my favorite prospects, Doug Murray waiting in the wings (With Spang, Vlasic and Wishart coming up into the system...) This team (the Sharks) is very deep... and their defense will be just fine. Now Ottawa... Corvo and Preissing in the D-mix... that's gonna be interesting
what kind of break do you want tubby?

07-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Break him off a piece of that "Kit-Kat-Bar"

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 12:15 AM
no name

Were good though guys. We got Gabe Gauthier the other day.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 12:16 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
maybe one where self-important moderators don't waste time with snide posts that don't have anything to do with the subject of hockey?

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 12:27 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Were good though guys. We got Gabe Gauthier the other day.
Gabe Gauthier>>>>>>>>Martin Havlat>>>>>Mark Bell

Old
07-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob View Post
I don't think it is unrealistic to think the Kings will be fighting for the 8th spot even until early April. But that is pretty much where they were last year....and the season before......and the season before that......
I don't have a problem with that this time around. The team has greater youth potential than it's ever had and Lombardi is bringing in the kinds of guys that make winners of those around them. The things that contributed to the past mediocrity are being slowly done away with. It'll be a blank slate before we know it.

I see next year as the first step. Like with an escalator, the first step may be just a lateral move, but you know that you're going up. Even if next year's outcome isn't much different than what we're used to, we'll know that it wasn't for lack of drive and the right attitude. The youth will also be more seasoned the following year, and fighting for a playoff spot until April (instead of hanging their heads by February) will only serve to season them better.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 12:47 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

I would have paid Havlat six million a year, but I don't know if I would have wanted to give up the assets needed to aquire him.

Chicago had to make a splash after being snubbed in free-agency.

San Jose just got tougher, but less skilled.

Ottawa? I have no clue. They did add some D, but they were already thin at center, and Kaigordorov is staying in Russia from what I've heard, so they're even more thin now.

07-10-2006, 01:05 AM
jeffreyaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I don't have a problem with that this time around. The team has greater youth potential than it's ever had and Lombardi is bringing in the kinds of guys that make winners of those around them. The things that contributed to the past mediocrity are being slowly done away with. It'll be a blank slate before we know it.

I see next year as the first step. Like with an escalator, the first step may be just a lateral move, but you know that you're going up. Even if next year's outcome isn't much different than what we're used to, we'll know that it wasn't for lack of drive and the right attitude. The youth will also be more seasoned the following year, and fighting for a playoff spot until April (instead of hanging their heads by February) will only serve to season them better.
Great post, Osprey. I agree- an 8th or 9th place spot when you're on the rise and working towards something is an entirely different beast than an 8th or 9th place spot when you're treading water and going nowhere. Having a long term plan in place and working to nurture the youth on the team is going to make a big difference.

On the subject of this trade, though, I don't see Ottawa getting a whole lot from it; I'm not nearly as sold on Preissing as some seem to be, admittedly don't know much about the other guy and 2nd round picks are always a crap-shoot. The Sharks have depth to spare and got some legitimate offensive help for Thornton, Cheechoo and Marleau. The Hawks got an Eric Daze replacement and a good character guy/plugger in Smoke. I just have a hard time believing that there weren't better offers for Havlat....

jeffreyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 01:22 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyaa View Post
I just have a hard time believing that there weren't better offers for Havlat....
Well the fact that Havlat kept stating that he wouldn't sign more than a 1 year deal probably lowered his trade value significantly.

Old
07-10-2006, 02:15 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyaa View Post
Great post, Osprey. I agree- an 8th or 9th place spot when you're on the rise and working towards something is an entirely different beast than an 8th or 9th place spot when you're treading water and going nowhere. Having a long term plan in place and working to nurture the youth on the team is going to make a big difference.
I like the way that you put that. Many teams that make or just miss the playoffs are playing for the now, so failure is bitterly disappointing. The Kings, however, have a plan in place and are, for the most part, playing for the future. Finishing 8th or 9th for this group would actually be a victory of sorts, at least moreso than for many other teams. It'll be a few years before success is demanded of them like it is for the others. All that's demanded for the time being is competitiveness, and I'm confident that we'll see that. Any success on top would just be icing.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 03:23 AM
chris39bong

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post
Exactly. Most people that don't follow the Sharks fail realize how deep they are on defense. The team was set to enter the upcoming season with NINE defensemen on the roster Tom Preissing is a solid 2nd pairing defender, but he has all but reached his potential, and was more than expendable due to two factors: 1) Ehrhoff's emergence as arguably the team's top d-man post Olympics through the playoffs and 2) Carle's solid play and much higher ceiling than TP. And just a personal FYI, your buddy Doug Murray () is practically assured of a top-6 spot next year according to Wilson's comments a few weeks ago at the State of Sharks meeting. Most SJ fans have known since that June 19th meeting that there was going to be some type of shake-up with the top-6 that ended the season... and now we have the answer. Davison is a very good 7th d-man and Fahey was just re-signed this off-season so he still figures into the team's plans despite currently being the 8th d-man. And like you mentioned, Carkner and Spang are in the AHL and can be called up if needed while Vlasic, Joslin, and Wishart are all projected NHLers that are still 2-4 years away. Earlier in the offseason the team also let one of their promising, albeit more one-dimensional defense prospects, re-enter the draft as well as traded another promising defense prospect to the Avs. The Sharks know how to draft and develop talent

I tell you all of this not to brag, but to let you know that you can fully expect Lombardi to slowly start to do the same thing with the Kings. I actually liked Taylor when he was the GM, partially due to the fact that during his tenure he turned a pitiful Kings prospect pool (remember when Rullier was the Kings top prospect?) into a very respectable group. Expect Lombardi to not only continue that trend in the coming years, but to also improve upon it. Right around draft day, there was a long interview with Lombardi about changing/upgrading the infastructure of the Kings, a process he mentioned he expected could take up to 3 years. Well, don't be surprised to see some subtle changes to the scouting staff, the minor league coaching staff(s), and so on in the coming years. Lombardi's specialty as a GM IMO is as a franchise builder, which as a Sharks fan, makes me scared to think of what the Kings team and prospect pool will look like in a few years

chris39bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:32 AM
guzmania

This years success or failure, when gauged against last years heartbreaking failure to play with conviction is........INJURIES!

I don't care how good Demitra was, try pro-rating his points against games played. Cause the the games he didn't play he didn't score in. Same with Frolov. Now Miller may or may not recover his health but he won't be in the line-up "toughing it out". Do you think the management have gotten medical updates on his condition this summer? Norstrom won't start the season with a broken jaw. Sopel will not be playing with a busted knee cap. Gleason's leg has healed.

If the Kings have just one season with a reasonable amount of injuries I think those other teams who have improved will still be chasing us. Is Blake better defensively than Corvo? Is a healthy Sopel better than a healthy Weaver? Cloutier is a proven performer, (some will scoff) but I don't think we got the best we could have from the netminders. But, in their defense, the team in front of them, and I use that term advisedly, stunk the joint up.

We have a much, much stronger bottom six with McCauley and Thornton. Can those guys show Avery the way to play the game? Even a fractional improvement in how he is perceived by outsiders will make him that much more effective and valuable.

There are questions about the young guys as one would naturally expect. Will Cammalleri sophomore slump? Has Frolov seen the wizard and to ask for a heart? Can O' Sullivan or Kopitar make a difference? Brown: Breaking out? Parros is just starting his second year- there isn't much more we can expect but he's a smart kid and I bet he will improve some.

There is still a possibility that Belanger and Garon are traded for something 2nd line-ish. Samsonov is still out here. Peca? One more guy for the top six whether a rookie or an aquisition would make me feel better.

So even though the path Lombardi has taken isn't the one I had mapped out, it looks to me that he has gotten pieces that will make the team better, more competative especially in areas we were deficient. I don't think there will be any tolerance for bad lockeroom behavior or shoddy play. That has certainly been identified as a problem area and there is nothing worse for a team than divisivness.

This is all of course speculation, from a slightly different viewpoint, but not neccessarily totally unreasonable. The only way to tell who improved, and not just on paper, and against the way other teams play against you, is to play the games. Let's just see what happens, shall we?

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote