HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

IF you had to trade one, who would it be?

View Poll Results: If you had to trade one, who would it be?
Eller 26 11.02%
Desharnais 210 88.98%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Kjell Dahlin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
If you hate Quebecers so much then get the **** out of this province.

If there's anything I can't stand it's a self hating Quebecer like this guy.
So I guess you are a proud Québécois?

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:39 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
I usually don't care much for your work. But I like that piece.

It's rational, and tries to be objective. I am not 100% sure you are right in saying that the only reason DD is favored is because he is Quebecois, but then again, maybe I am biased myself.

My personal belief is that we can very well win with Plek-DD-Chuckie as our top 3 centers, as long as they are not the only thing carrying this team. DD can be a gamekiller when put in the right position; he has some playmaking skills that many only hope to ever acquire.

If Eller could fetch us a very strong winger to complement and stabilize our top 6, why would we automatically become a worse team?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:40 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
So I guess you are a proud Québécois?
Proud Montrealer, Proud Quebecer, Proud Canadian.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:44 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I usually don't care much for your work. But I like that piece.

It's rational, and tries to be objective. I am not 100% sure you are right in saying that the only reason DD is favored is because he is Quebecois, but then again, maybe I am biased myself.

My personal belief is that we can very well win with Plek-DD-Chuckie as our top 3 centers, as long as they are not the only thing carrying this team. DD can be a gamekiller when put in the right position; he has some playmaking skills that many only hope to ever acquire.

If Eller could fetch us a very strong winger to complement and stabilize our top 6, why would we automatically become a worse team?
There are people on this very message board that are saying the reason people prefer Eller over DD is because DD is Quebecer, like some sort of strange, perverted self-hating form of sado-masochism...So it isn't far fetched to say some favor DD simply because of where he is from.

Honestly we should ban all these self-hating, self-victimizing, perpetually sad perverts. Ban them all.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:47 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
At the end of the day, it comes down to who you think can do more with easier matchups and easier minutes.

If you decide to keep DD, you are essentially forced to give him the easy minutes and must give the tougher matchups to Pleks/Galchenyuk. As a result, he will put up pretty decent numbers (60ish pts last year, perhaps more if he gets better).

If you decide to keep Eller, he is capable of taking some of the tougher minutes due to his size and skillset. Thus, easier matchups go to Pleks/Galchenyuk.

In the end, who do you feel will be better with easier minutes? Plekanec/Galchenyuk, or Desharnais? Who will put up better numbers?

The perverts will call me a hater perhaps, but I think Pleks or Galchenyuk have more offensive talent than DD.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:55 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
At the end of the day, it comes down to who you think can do more with easier matchups and easier minutes.

If you decide to keep DD, you are essentially forced to give him the easy minutes and must give the tougher matchups to Pleks/Galchenyuk. As a result, he will put up pretty decent numbers (60ish pts last year, perhaps more if he gets better).

If you decide to keep Eller, he is capable of taking some of the tougher minutes due to his size and skillset. Thus, easier matchups go to Pleks/Galchenyuk.

In the end, who do you feel will be better with easier minutes? Plekanec/Galchenyuk, or Desharnais? Who will put up better numbers?

The perverts will call me a hater perhaps, but I think Pleks or Galchenyuk have more offensive talent than DD.
Not necessarily. I seriously believe DD can still improve and compete strongly against the toughest matchup. The kid hasn't reached his ceiling by any mean; that is his 3rd NHL season only, he only had 1 full NHL season (and that was an exceptional one!).

He is already showing strong signs of resurgence already in the last matches. If there is one thing DD proved over the years, is that he doesn't give up in the face of adversity.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:00 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
How anyone can say they'd keep Desharnais after his horrible start to the year? He's **** at faceoffs, **** at battling for the puck, **** at basically everything a centre has to have fundamentally.
You realize that Eller is a whopping 1.2% better than Desharnais at faceoffs?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Hugo Sham

http://somekindofninja.com/nhl/usage...Update+Results

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:01 PM
MXD

Quote:
There are people on this very message board that are saying the reason people prefer Eller over DD is because DD is Quebecer, like some sort of strange, perverted self-hating form of sado-masochism...So it isn't far fetched to say some favor DD simply because of where he is from.

Honestly we should ban all these self-hating, self-victimizing, perpetually sad perverts. Ban them all.
And people who always bring up the fact that DD's from Quebec should also be banned on the spot...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:02 PM
JustAHabFan

If Plekanec and Galchenyuk are going to be the first two centers, I would prefer Eller over Desharnais because Eller has the size and he can play better defense.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Voted Eller. On the assumption that he's the only one of the two we'd get anything good for. I don't see the point in trading Desharnais for a 3rd round pick or whatever. At least in trading Eller I'd dare to hope we actually got something really good in return.

But you can't really ask the question in isolation. You have to say would you rather trade "Eller for XXXXX" vs. "Desharnais for YYYYYY"... the return and if/how it improves our hockey team is all that matters.
That's true. But, barring some really good payoff in X or Y, I would say: trade neither, at least now.

As I see it, would the replacement for either one of them at centre be better for the team than having both? I suppose we have to speculate what X and Y could be, but I don't see a replacement centre in the Habs' system that would make the team better. Especially if Galchenyuk or Plekanec get injured.

I could see an argument that having White (when matured) playing in a 4th line role, perhaps platooning with Prust, would be bring better balance overall. But I don't see that yet, and even a 48 game season is a long season that will have injuries, so I would just let Therrien figure it out.

(Unless X or Y is really good. Like, gives me a reason to spend more time in the stickied draft thread.)

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:09 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Not necessarily. I seriously believe DD can still improve and compete strongly against the toughest matchup. The kid hasn't reached his ceiling by any mean; that is his 3rd NHL season only, he only had 1 full NHL season (and that was an exceptional one!).

He is already showing strong signs of resurgence already in the last matches. If there is one thing DD proved over the years, is that he doesn't give up in the face of adversity.
He's too small and too slow. His game revolves around his hockey sense and being smarter than the opposition. Against tougher matchups, his advantage becomes less effective because he's playing against smart players. He's at his best on the PP and vs weaker opposition. I'm not bashing him, he just excels in certain situations vs others. It comes down to whether you feel the trade off is worth it. Someone will have to eat the tougher matcups. So far DD has struggled in that role.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:18 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
He's too small and too slow. His game revolves around his hockey sense and being smarter than the opposition. Against tougher matchups, his advantage becomes less effective because he's playing against smart players. He's at his best on the PP and vs weaker opposition. I'm not bashing him, he just excels in certain situations vs others. It comes down to whether you feel the trade off is worth it. Someone will have to eat the tougher matcups. So far DD has struggled in that role.
Since this is another infamous "Eller vs Desharnais" thread, I just want to point out that Desharnais is not slower than Eller.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:30 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
He is very agile in his movement, prayer the puck in any situation, be it skating in the middle of the zone surrounded by 4 guys or while he is flatten on ths board: he keeps control of the damn puck more often than not.

He is a supreme puck thief, is opportune in his movement and is starting to emerge as a clever defensive play-reader. He struggles on the board in his own zone, but he is actually damn good defensively in the upper zone.

Yes, he required certain special support to be optimal; but I believe his upside is much higher than what many suspects. He can carry a line offensively.

He keeps getting better. He should be thrown under the bus just because he doesn't match the accepted paradigm on HFBoards.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:31 PM
PricePkPatch

I meant PROTECTS the puck in any situation.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:46 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Since this is another infamous "Eller vs Desharnais" thread, I just want to point out that Desharnais is not slower than Eller.
A player his size needs to be the fastest player on the ice.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:32 PM
Habtchum*

DD cannot win on this board.

Hope he's gonna get traded, get recognition and a fair salary elsewhere.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:36 PM
vokiel
Registered Settler

Quote:
That's the Danish flag perhaps?

You know how dumb this looks?

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:36 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
that s norway s flag. eller is danish.

not quite yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:42 PM
lostriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
that and why DD looks taller?

lostriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:07 PM
brian70

Quote:
You do realize Eller was absolutely ****** at faceoff yesterday. Desharnais have been able to keep the play alive in the O-Zone on multiple occasion by sheer tenacity.

People don't give enough credit to DD because they see him getting pushed around easily. Thing is; DD still manage to steal or hold on the puck more often than not when it happens.
Eller 3-5
DD 5-5
Gally 4-3
Pleks 10-10

Not sure which word your asterisks replace but I know it's exaggerated.

brian70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Not The One

Quote:

What a ****ing hypocrite you are.

You're one of the guys who literally had a vendetta against Ribeiro, Latendresse (fatendresse), Bouillon, Dandenault (dandouillon), and now Desharnais. Not to mention the francophone coaching and management staff.

My, how things change around here... but some of you are so very predictable.

Last edited by Not The One: 02-15-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Your conclusions are pathetic. By any statistic metric over their young careers, DD beats Eller. Goals, assists, points, ppg, +/-, FO%, etc.

How many other teams' fans would turn so quickly against a 25 year-old player who managed 60 points in his first full NHL season? Considering that DD is the team's ONLY Quebec-born player and that he's now officially this board's scapegoat, I think it's very legitimate to ask the question in reverse. He's french, he's on the habs, therefore he sucks.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
That's the Danish flag perhaps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
It's changed, thanks. Brain fart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
You know how dumb this looks?
What looks dumb is when all you pay attention is the pictures.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:54 PM
catmanhabsfan

There's a reason our GM's phone is ringing about one of the two in the poll. Thinking its the same old Habs management and maybe they can bend us over like in past trades. That's why my vote go's to the other guy.

catmanhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote