HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boyes - How does he look so far?

Old
02-15-2013, 09:42 AM
redbull
2k17

vCash: 500
he's very good offensively, especially good vision and makes quick, smart decisions when he has the puck.

without the puck, he's not bad positionally but he doesn't work hard enough. He takes lazy, slow routes to the puck, doesn't take the body plays too much like Moulson to play on the same line.

Those two wingers kill the Islanders and really hurt JT all over the ice EXCEPT deep in the offensive zone. I can see why Cappy separated them to start the season and used them only on the PP together. They should go back to that. I'd prefer anyone else on the top line 5on5, Matt Martin, Josh Bailey, David Ullstrom or even Cizikas.

Boyes will get his points. He's just a very one-dimensional, limited player. Which is what he's been his whole career. No surprises here.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Hipietro

Not bad, not great.

He's already half way to his goal total from last season only 13 games in.

I see him re-signing with the Isles for another year this summer.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:57 AM
IslesZoso

I didn't think anyone could be softer on the boards and in puck battles than Moulson. That changed when I saw Boyes.

But he is good at the finesse plays and touch passes and such.

IslesZoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Chapin Landvogt

I can live with him. He's getting into a flow. Seems to be understanding JT and especially Moulson better.

Theoretically, in a full season, he'd be off to 60+points.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:08 PM
camper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I can live with him. He's getting into a flow. Seems to be understanding JT and especially Moulson better.

You sure measure players by point output, Lots of players that accumulate points cost teams in so many ways. There are probably 4 on the Islanders, its part of why as a team you never go any where, but the real reason why is you cannot see past ones point output.

camper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:19 PM
A Pointed Stick
This Is Fine

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
You sure measure players by point output, Lots of players that accumulate points cost teams in so many ways. There are probably 4 on the Islanders, its part of why as a team you never go any where, but the real reason why is you cannot see past ones point output.
The truth is John is alone on the first line and we are using page holders until help arrives in some form.

I would like to guess at the 4 though. Could they be MM, BB, KO, and MG? It is a 4 headed box of Kleenex right there.

We have the softest top 6 in the league, but I may be echoing someone else's statements. True though...

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:15 PM
camper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
The truth is John is alone on the first line and we are using page holders until help arrives in some form.

I would like to guess at the 4 though. Could they be MM, BB, KO, and MG? It is a 4 headed box of Kleenex right there.

We have the softest top 6 in the league, but I may be echoing someone else's statements. True though...

Theres a time for the(Kleenex) or Charmin boys for sure, The problem is if I am refinishing a table, I do not use the Kleenex to try and cut through years of crud!...I get myself some good old #17 sandpaper..tear er down ..then wipe er with the soft stuff.

Caps last night tried to refinish the ranger table with Kleenex....in the 1st, he did wake up and grabbed
the #17 and a few lesser abrasives....and got thru the crud....later wiping up with the soft stuff again for the finished product.

Then again its all about the TOi....if you don't get the ice how are you going to make things happen.
Even the lions of the team make mistakes..some nights Tav has more turnovers than a bakery,Marts has mistakes,Hammer ain't perfect etc...but they are consistent, if perfection is 100% and you never dip below 80% your consistently a keeper! On ice presence is so important..not too many have it.

You know this Pointed...most don't

Last edited by camper*: 02-15-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old
02-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Chapin Landvogt

How does this...
Quote:

...possibly warrant this response?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
Boyes:
Whereas I don't see him as an appropriate answer to the loss of Parenteau (we needed to add players like this IN ADDITION to the Parenteaus of the world), he has clearly shown in his short time here that he has more wherewithall, a better understanding of the game, and better offensive instincts than a good 70% of the other forwards we've got around here, including younger mainstays like Grabner and Okposo.

This is not to say he's a complete player who is here to resolve all our problems and turn this franchise around.

Now, if you wanna talk about why the Islanders are a losing team and a losing franchise, we have plenty of other threads for that and all of us diehards around here are well aware that this team is NOT in business 'to win'. That is not how the team and franchise is being run. That is not the goal for which decisions are made. That is not what this franchise is currently about.

That's the ice cold reality - and it's old news...

If we're lucky, those goals change at the latest once this team is playing in Brooklyn.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 02-16-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:18 PM
camper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
How does this...

...possibly warrant this response?

Boyes:
Whereas I don't see him as an appropriate answer to the loss of Parenteau (we needed to add players like this IN ADDITION to the Parenteaus of the world), he has clearly shown in his short time here that he has more wherewithall, a better understanding of the game, and better offensive instincts than a good 70% of the other forwards we've got around here, including younger mainstays like Grabner and Okposo.

This is not to say he's a complete player who is here to resolve all our problems and turn this franchise around.

Now, if you wanna talk about why the Islanders are a losing team and a losing franchise, we have plenty of other threads for that and all of us diehards around here are well aware that this team is NOT in business 'to win'. That is not how the team and franchise is being run. That is not the goal for which decisions are made. That is not what this franchise is currently about.

That's the ice cold reality - and it's old news...

If we're lucky, those goals change at the latest once this team is playing in Brooklyn.

The response was not to Boye's per say rather the whole Points and players thingy Its just sad a player can do nothing , even possibly costing the team nightly , yet get a pat cause the puck bounced off his stick to another playing and giving him an asset.