HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#13 |New York Islanders vs New York Rangers | Feb 14 | 7 PM | 4-3 W F/SO

Old
02-15-2013, 10:51 AM
xECK29x

vCash: 500
I love how during a loss we get post-game video on IslesTV right away, but a great win...nothing.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Moosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
he's quite a bit like randy wood, but had he scored on it, he'd have been like mike bossy; there was too much tugging and pulling going on for an average goal scorer to net that. his shot selection was good - forehand upper 90.
Randy Wood LOL. I would have said Marty McInnis. At least he could skate.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:27 AM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
He's not defensively responsible, that's true. He does what he does on offense, and it truly is a skill to be able to bang in all those garbage goals. Do you really swap out a guy who doesn't take penalties and scores 30+ goals each season? Those guys are hard to come by and I'd hate for us to get rid of him or rotate someone else into that role and lose the scoring he provides.

I also think that's why people have been asking for more of a grinder to go on that top line, so tavares and [x] can do the grinding while moulson does his thing.

He's also not gifted enough offensively to be out there during 4 on 4 play, he's slow and doesn't have great hands (I don't think I've ever seen him make a deke ever).
The one thing you're overlooking is Moulson's weakness also hurts the Isles in the offensive zone. Because he lacks the drive or passion to battle and forecheck, the Islanders lose offensive zone time and have to rely on JT to makeup for Moulson's soft play. That should not fall on JT, JT is the superstar and he needs the support, not Moulson.

I also think that's why people have been asking for more of a grinder to go on that top line, so tavares and [x] can do the grinding while moulson does his thing.

This is way off. There should be a grinder and (x) so Tavares can do his thing. Tavares will be a much more prolific scorer with support. The idea isn't to build around Moulson, it's to build around Tavares and make him the focus.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:46 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Good win last night. Didn't see much of the game due to V-Day responsibilities, but great to see them show some character and fight back from the early deficit.
Dude, you've GOT to set boundaries, whattya mean you didn't see much of the game due to V-Day ? You know tonight is Friday night, you can always push V-Day responsibilities back one night. Just playin man, lol.

scott99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:57 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
The one thing you're overlooking is Moulson's weakness also hurts the Isles in the offensive zone. Because he lacks the drive or passion to battle and forecheck, the Islanders lose offensive zone time and have to rely on JT to makeup for Moulson's soft play. That should not fall on JT, JT is the superstar and he needs the support, not Moulson.

This is way off. There should be a grinder and (x) so Tavares can do his thing. Tavares will be a much more prolific scorer with support. The idea isn't to build around Moulson, it's to build around Tavares and make him the focus.
This is a great point, but as long as Moulson continues to light the lamp - he's going to be on that line. I do think that Tavares has outgrown Moulson now though. In the past, Moulson was a bit of a security blanket for JT and really helped ease his transition to the NHL. I know a lot of us were surprised with his playmaking ability and which was definitely helped by Moulson being such an excellent finisher.

Now, JT is more like the player we drafted back in 2009. He's a puck possession machine who attacks the net continually. He generates tons of chances and he's one of the few players in this league that can generate 300+ SOG per season. That's a recipe for elite goal scoring success in the NHL, you have to shoot it to score. I used to think he'll be a consistent 40+ guy with an occasional 50 year thrown in, but I think he could surpass 50 multiple times now. He'll need a reconfiguration of his linemates to do it though. Guys that can do the dirty work and get him the puck with time and space - he's challenging for the Richard trophy for many seasons.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:12 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
if you were an NHL goalie and saw grabner coming at you....would you be scared?
Absolutely not. He has no hands at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
So nice to get a win but the team still only played 1/2 a game of hockey. Need to be better than that.
I agree 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
Anyway, its uncanny how he can just freeze a goalie. When he goes in and just shoots as opposed to the backhand of justice, most of the time the goalies dont even move. Biron just stood there like, "Oh you went?" His continues success with that move just makes him more deadly in the shootout. I wish he would work with grabner, but i feel like grabs is a lot like jason blake in that he needs his hands to catch up with how fast he is. Hopefully he does it before hes 32
I always find it interesting when he's going against a goalie that knows him. I love to see what he's going to try. Sometimes he goes to the backhand move and it still works (which is almost insulting when you think about it) and other times like last night he just goes in and picks his spot.

His setup move for the backhand is just so good all goalies have to respect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
best shootout player in the NHL since it was introduced and Boyes is probably top 5 as well. Amazing how Frans is deadly in shootouts but simply cannot score during the actual games. He's got speed but never gets breakaways (probably because he's so good defensively, and covers for Grabs so much). He seems to have a decent shot but is never in a position to get it off, not from scoring areas.
SO's are entirely different from regular play. Nobody is chasing you, about to hit you, and you can take your sweet time going to the net. It's just a different skill set. I think him being defensively responsible is part of why he doesn't score much and who he is playing with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
Just out of curiosity, what would you say the percentage was of Islander fans there? At the Coliseum it's usually somewhere around 60-40 Islander fans, if not 50-50.

Never been to an Isles Rags game at the Garden and always been curious how many Isles fans actually go.
I've been to them before and it's not 60-40. When I was there last (a few seasons ago) it was probably 75-25. All of the lower section is corporate season ticket holders, so you lost any ability to fill those seats pretty much instantly.

Quote:

I don't think so. What does Tavares do well? He controls the puck and makes nice passes in the offensive zone. He can also snipe corners if he's given the chance, but he's not a Gaborik type who won't get physical. Tavares grinds it out.

If you could guarantee me that replacing Moulson with someone else won't hurt the offensive numbers at all, I'd be all for it, but the fact is scoring 30+ goals for three straight seasons is extremely difficult to do and I'm not so sure anyone on the Isles would be able to fill that role currently. Eventually you could move Moulson off that line or the team, but you just can't now.

JT also like Moulson a lot personally, which definitely impacts play and chemistry.

It's not building around Moulson, it's building around JT. It's giving him someone he can pass to and knows will finish. What that line needs is someone else who has the ability to puck control from the corner to free up Tavares so he can get more open looks. If they had that, then the other team has to worry about JT's playmaking ability and Moulson being able to finish. You don't want it to be a scenario where if they shut down Tavares the line sucks.

iLandHer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:20 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

This summer you have Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry as free agents.

It takes nothing but money. All you have to do is back up the truck and get one of them to sign. It has to begin this summer. We cannot keep doing this to a superstar like Tavares.

You sign Perry, sign a good defenseman, and watch how the pieces start falling into place.

I really have hope that this summer Wang makes some monster offers. If not, we really don't even belong in the NHL. We can't ride or die on Tavares and Moulson.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
I love how during a loss we get post-game video on IslesTV right away, but a great win...nothing.
More to do with the location than the result...

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:35 PM
19NYSports91

I think Tavares' back is hurting

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:12 PM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
This summer you have Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry as free agents.

It takes nothing but money. All you have to do is back up the truck and get one of them to sign. It has to begin this summer. We cannot keep doing this to a superstar like Tavares.

You sign Perry, sign a good defenseman, and watch how the pieces start falling into place.

I really have hope that this summer Wang makes some monster offers. If not, we really don't even belong in the NHL. We can't ride or die on Tavares and Moulson.
I agree 100%. And not even a windfall of players at once, just sign ONE good free agent. Spend something to show the fans and the team that you care. Just like the Mets, the organizations just refuse to spend money. I'm still annoyed about PA.

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:46 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
Absolutely not. He has no hands at all.

I agree 100%.

I always find it interesting when he's going against a goalie that knows him. I love to see what he's going to try. Sometimes he goes to the backhand move and it still works (which is almost insulting when you think about it) and other times like last night he just goes in and picks his spot.

His setup move for the backhand is just so good all goalies have to respect it.

SO's are entirely different from regular play. Nobody is chasing you, about to hit you, and you can take your sweet time going to the net. It's just a different skill set. I think him being defensively responsible is part of why he doesn't score much and who he is playing with.

I've been to them before and it's not 60-40. When I was there last (a few seasons ago) it was probably 75-25. All of the lower section is corporate season ticket holders, so you lost any ability to fill those seats pretty much instantly.

I don't think so. What does Tavares do well? He controls the puck and makes nice passes in the offensive zone. He can also snipe corners if he's given the chance, but he's not a Gaborik type who won't get physical. Tavares grinds it out.

If you could guarantee me that replacing Moulson with someone else won't hurt the offensive numbers at all, I'd be all for it, but the fact is scoring 30+ goals for three straight seasons is extremely difficult to do and I'm not so sure anyone on the Isles would be able to fill that role currently. Eventually you could move Moulson off that line or the team, but you just can't now.

JT also like Moulson a lot personally, which definitely impacts play and chemistry.

It's not building around Moulson, it's building around JT. It's giving him someone he can pass to and knows will finish. What that line needs is someone else who has the ability to puck control from the corner to free up Tavares so he can get more open looks. If they had that, then the other team has to worry about JT's playmaking ability and Moulson being able to finish. You don't want it to be a scenario where if they shut down Tavares the line sucks.
The only thing I ask, is that you watch Moulson's play in the offensive zone away from the puck.
If he has a shot at playing the puck against the boards or behind the net, he intentionallytakes a bad angle, to avoid physical contact. This insures the defender can clear the zone, meaning less time in the offensive zone, and less chance for a scoring opportunity.
Moulson is not an asset, he's a detriment. Please focus on him, especially when the puck is along the boards on his wing. Watch his pursuit closely! He's allowing the play to leave the offensive zone, because he's a soft player and has gotten used to JT doing all the dirty work for him. That's not what you want your star player to do, to take the physical battle day in and day out. Eventually JT will wear down and get injured. Then Matty will score 12 goals a year and end up like Mark Parrish, an NHL journeymen.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:20 PM
RMimagery

Quote:
The only thing I ask, is that you watch Moulson's play in the offensive zone away from the puck.
If he has a shot at playing the puck against the boards or behind the net, he intentionallytakes a bad angle, to avoid physical contact. This insures the defender can clear the zone, meaning less time in the offensive zone, and less chance for a scoring opportunity.
Moulson is not an asset, he's a detriment. Please focus on him, especially when the puck is along the boards on his wing. Watch his pursuit closely! He's allowing the play to leave the offensive zone, because he's a soft player and has gotten used to JT doing all the dirty work for him. That's not what you want your star player to do, to take the physical battle day in and day out. Eventually JT will wear down and get injured. Then Matty will score 12 goals a year and end up like Mark Parrish, an NHL journeymen.
You're not totally wrong but that's a bit harsh. Moulson is not an elite 2 way player but he does what he does very well. And you can't deny his chemistry with JT. He can dish a pass too and usually knows what John will do or where he'll be. He saucered a fantastic pass in the 3rd, past 2 Rangers that John almost scored on, but his weight was on his back foot. He is one dimensional but it's a big dimension, especially when paired with JT.

Once they find a strong 2 way power forward to flank them, watch out. It's not Boyes or Okposo and we can't wait for our prospects (Nino could be 2 or 3 years away but it's most likely not him either.) He must come through a trade and I'm willing to part with a major piece + a high draft pick for this player. I'd love to see Bailey or Ullstrom there for a few games but that probably won't happen and they're not ideal either. Boyes could improve and learn his role as we go. It's not crazy to hope for. I'd love a Ryan Callahan type - big, mobile and smart to open up some space for John. I think Callahan is Ullstrom's upside, we'll see.

Moulson is not a "star player" and doesn't need to be. If he can keep putting 30+ goals in like he has, he can say there. Plus, have you looked at his games played, because he hasn't missed a game as an Islander. Almost unreal for a guy with his frame. He takes his punishment and comes back out every shift. 69 points last season and a +1. Consider me a fan for what he does for us.

TriCycleDriveBy, I obviously totally agree with this... "It's not building around Moulson, it's building around JT. It's giving him someone he can pass to and knows will finish. What that line needs is someone else who has the ability to puck control from the corner to free up Tavares so he can get more open looks. If they had that, then the other team has to worry about JT's playmaking ability and Moulson being able to finish. You don't want it to be a scenario where if they shut down Tavares the line sucks."

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:33 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:

He has been worse then normal this year challenging or being challenged for the puck so I agree 100%. Perhaps he is coming down with a little primadonna syndrome, so he doesn't have to sacrifice his body because he is the scoring BFF of the team's core player? I think I would bench him for that reason alone if I suspected it. But really his defensive play is 0, his battle level to strip pucks is 0, his physicality is 0.... Why the heck did he choose hockey over golf? Perhaps Matt should invest in a trainer and add some muscle, it isn't like it is going to slow him down any more from his slow-very slow range. It would help him compete in front of the net and along the boards and might even add a little game in his own end of the ice, assuming he knows what to do down there which lately is far from a given. If I had a top 5 worst defensive or physical players for the club, he'd place.

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 02-15-2013 at 09:33 PM.
A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:12 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
I've watched him and agreed, I think you're missing my point.

Name some players who can finish like Moulson, battle in the corners, and are defensively responsible. All of the players you list will be stars. Moulson is not a star and we don't have that player on this team. Moulson does some things well so you don't change it. He doesn't need to battle in the corner if JT and another player will.

Crosby doesn't have someone dish him the puck, he goes and gets it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen Crosby dump it in and go work for the puck. He works in the corner and sets up Neil for a million points. Stars do grind it out in the corner and that's why they are stars, because they do everything well. I don't want a player like Gaborik as my star player/centerpiece, since all he does is shoot.

I'd like Moulson to change his game a bit like you're saying, but it also isn't an absolute requirement and you don't remove or replace a 30+ goal scorer without knowing for sure what you're getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMimagery View Post
You're not totally wrong but that's a bit harsh. Moulson is not an elite 2 way player but he does what he does very well. And you can't deny his chemistry with JT. He can dish a pass too and usually knows what John will do or where he'll be. He saucered a fantastic pass in the 3rd, past 2 Rangers that John almost scored on, but his weight was on his back foot. He is one dimensional but it's a big dimension, especially when paired with JT.
Exactly.

Quote:
I'd love a Ryan Callahan type - big, mobile and smart to open up some space for John. I think Callahan is Ullstrom's upside, we'll see.
Callahan is the type of guy needed for sure, then you wouldn't need Moulson to change at all.

Quote:
Moulson is not a "star player" and doesn't need to be. If he can keep putting 30+ goals in like he has, he can say there. Plus, have you looked at his games played, because he hasn't missed a game as an Islander. Almost unreal for a guy with his frame. He takes his punishment and comes back out every shift. 69 points last season and a +1. Consider me a fan for what he does for us.
Right. With all the problems our team has, he isn't one we should concern ourselves with right now.

Quote:
TriCycleDriveBy, I obviously totally agree with this... "It's not building around Moulson, it's building around JT. It's giving him someone he can pass to and knows will finish. What that line needs is someone else who has the ability to puck control from the corner to free up Tavares so he can get more open looks. If they had that, then the other team has to worry about JT's playmaking ability and Moulson being able to finish. You don't want it to be a scenario where if they shut down Tavares the line sucks."
We seem to be seeing eye to eye on this issue.

iLandHer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:58 PM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
He has been worse then normal this year challenging or being challenged for the puck so I agree 100%. Perhaps he is coming down with a little primadonna syndrome, so he doesn't have to sacrifice his body because he is the scoring BFF of the team's core player? I think I would bench him for that reason alone if I suspected it. But really his defensive play is 0, his battle level to strip pucks is 0, his physicality is 0.... Why the heck did he choose hockey over golf? Perhaps Matt should invest in a trainer and add some muscle, it isn't like it is going to slow him down any more from his slow-very slow range. It would help him compete in front of the net and along the boards and might even add a little game in his own end of the ice, assuming he knows what to do down there which lately is far from a given. If I had a top 5 worst defensive or physical players for the club, he'd place.
If he were a better player he would score more and you're right, brutal defense and on the wall. He's a first unit PP guy but not a legitimate first line wing.

Could Andrew MacDonald be any worse this year?

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote