HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Karlsson - Achilles Tendon - Practicing w Team, May Return to Lineup Soon - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 12:42 PM
yettyskill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Karlsson is the best player. His dynamic ability both ends of the ice and the fact that he shutsdown the other team's Crosby or best player too makes him the best.
WOW
Karlesson is a step above Paul Coffey in ability to "shutdown" anybody.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:46 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
What bothers me the most about this whole thing is that it could have been avoided if all players were wearing those Kevlar socks. Seriously, how can this NOT be mandatory? It's just as stupid as an NHL goalie playing without a mask.
Could Zednick's injury have been prevented if players were required to wear kevlar turtlenecks?

Stuff like this is easy to talk about in hindsight, but really, how often do cuts like this happen? Infrequently enough that there's never really been a huge spotlight on the issue.

02-15-2013, 12:54 PM
pucky

Still, they probably should as when the injuries happen, it is both a health disaster and costs games/money as well.

I remember when Malarchuk got cut badly, I thought every goalie would start wearing neck guards but you still see tons of goalies with no protection there.

I would have thought defencemen, at least, would have tons of protection around their lower legs and near their skates at where the leg goes in (for blocking shots etc.) but apparently not. Isn't the equipment light enough in this day and age? There have been technological innovations, right? The body armour looks huge and shoulder pads look like they are gladiators but there's not much protection around the neck or the lower legs?!?

Old
02-15-2013, 02:38 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksens View Post
Now cheer for the sweater.
Go Binghamton!

Old
02-15-2013, 03:47 PM
PTmbp13

fuc...

well good for the other defensmen in the league, now they have some chance of beating him to the Norris.

Senators injuryproblem got worst.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:50 PM
PTmbp13

matt cooke is a psyco, what to expect? NHL doesnt have a clue if he is not gone for the season as Karlsson is. Fu..ing psyco

Old
02-15-2013, 03:58 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
I was just making a point. Crosby is the best player.
It's not undisputed. Stamkos and Malkin should factor in as well. These players, along with a few other forwards (e.g. Datsyuk, Giroux <despite his performance thus far this season>), are comparable in terms of production and impact.

What is undisputed is the fact that there is no player in the league who can replace Karlsson at his position and have the kind of impact only Karlsson has been able to make. This season, Karlsson looked better than any player in the league. Too bad the ride had to end courtesy of Cooke's shank.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

Thanks Eugene. Saying a lot of what i tried to post here and got an infraction for (i thought i worded a lot of it better too. oh well).

Here are some quotes:
Quote:
"To have him taken out by a goon is unconscionable," Melnyk began. "Whether it was accidental, or whether it was reckless, or whether it was intentional, to me it doesn't matter.

"It's something that never should have happened. This player should never be playing in this league. It's a league for elite players," said Melnyk.

The Senators owner was asked if Cooke, who has been suspended five times by the NHL during his career, is a changed player nowadays.

"I don't buy any of that garbage. Five times? No, we're number six? How about seven and eight? At what point do you say, 'you know what? Maybe he's not changed.' You do this enough times, don't try to convince me or anybody else. People are way too intelligent. The guy gets suspended five times. That's how many times he's been suspended, never mind how many times he's not been suspended.

"I'm just shocked that that organization employs that type of individual. You've got some good people at the top there. C'mon, these guys are former players, they are elite players, they know what these guys can do. To do this kind of stuff, this guy should be, I don't know, to me it doesn't make any sense whatsoever, that's why I can't even reconcile the thing.
"Frankly if it comes down to everybody wants to play this game, we can play it just as well as anybody else, 'cause these guys are a dime a dozen and that's probably what they're worth per game. A dime. You can hear I'm not very pleased with the whole thing."
tsn.ca

Old
02-15-2013, 05:05 PM
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

it looks like 95% of people commenting on tsn are in support of matt cooke and don't think he's any different than chris neil.
And don't agree with anything melnyk is saying.

How many clueless hockey 'fans' are out there? tell me this is just the 100 that read tsn.ca.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 767
Melnyk doesn't make much sense in that article. Comes off as clueless.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:12 PM
Benny FTW
44.jgp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Could Zednick's injury have been prevented if players were required to wear kevlar turtlenecks?

Stuff like this is easy to talk about in hindsight, but really, how often do cuts like this happen? Infrequently enough that there's never really been a huge spotlight on the issue.
I have no idea but couldn't there be a hybrid sock? Just a inch thick strip of the kevlar from top to bottom at the back, sewed on the inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post
It's not undisputed. Stamkos and Malkin should factor in as well. These players, along with a few other forwards (e.g. Datsyuk, Giroux <despite his performance thus far this season>), are comparable in terms of production and impact.

What is undisputed is the fact that there is no player in the league who can replace Karlsson at his position and have the kind of impact only Karlsson has been able to make. This season, Karlsson looked better than any player in the league. Too bad the ride had to end courtesy of Cooke's shank.
Agreed.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:16 PM
DrEasy
Waiting for Methot

Maybe Melnyk should have a talk with Bettman. After all, losing one of the top players is not good business for the NHL either. Is it in Bettman and the NHL's interest to have a player who has a habit of injuring the league's moneymakers?

Forget integrity. This is a business, and at this point it might make business sense to kick Cooke out of the league.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:14 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
Maybe Melnyk should have a talk with Bettman. After all, losing one of the top players is not good business for the NHL either. Is it in Bettman and the NHL's interest to have a player who has a habit of injuring the league's moneymakers?

Forget integrity. This is a business, and at this point it might make business sense to kick Cooke out of the league.
Agree 100%. Matt Cooke would not be missed one iota if he was gone; players such as him (minus the crap) are a dime a dozen; the difference in talent levels with this type of player is so miniscule that I'm surprised the glorious Mario hasn't got somebody in the minors who could fill his spot in a flash. And I agree with Melnyk and his comments- how many incidents does one need where the same player is involved over and over? Melnyk pays the freight and if I was him, I'd be completely pissed off too. God knows how the Penguins would react if Crosby or Malkin were hurt in a similar fashion by some player with a reputation for such things- are there any others?

Old
02-15-2013, 06:46 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

ugh.. i'm still so disgusted with this.

just got a call letting me know i'm going to the leafs game next saturday. Was not excited in the least.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
ugh.. i'm still so disgusted with this.

just got a call letting me know i'm going to the leafs game next saturday. Was not excited in the least.
Do you have to go?

Old
02-15-2013, 07:12 PM
pepty

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
it looks like 95% of people commenting on tsn are in support of matt cooke and don't think he's any different than chris neil.
And don't agree with anything melnyk is saying.

How many clueless hockey 'fans' are out there? tell me this is just the 100 that read tsn.ca.
Whats with all the venom directed against Chris Neil lately?

Kypreos is on a campaign- first suggested that Chris Neil should have been on the 10 most hated players list and then arguing that Neil is exactly the same sort of player as Cooke.

Maybe the Toronto sports writers just got so excited about the Leafs winning 4 game in a row that their competitive juices are getting the better of them.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:18 PM
ViCiieux

Carolina fan here.
Just for those people that say its just a freak accident, unlucky etc.
Explain to me why he is stomping his left foot? What is he trying to achieve stomping with his foot?
He might not aim for the achilles but obviously he is trying to hurt Karlsson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvoMpbdA-0A
Take a look at his left leg. Its a stomp, no question about it!

Old
02-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViCiieux View Post
Carolina fan here.
Just for those people that say its just a freak accident, unlucky etc.
Explain to me why he is stomping his left foot? What is he trying to achieve stomping with his foot?
He might not aim for the achilles but obviously he is trying to hurt Karlsson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvoMpbdA-0A
Take a look at his left leg. Its a stomp, no question about it!
I maintain that the entire thing is a combination of Cooke trying (and failing) to up-end Karlsson (this was pointed on the main board thread, Cooke likes that move), him losing his balance and him trying to stop the puck from going around the boards with his left skate (look at the puck moving while he gets tangled up)

Old
02-15-2013, 07:30 PM
ViCiieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
I maintain that the entire thing is a combination of Cooke trying (and failing) to up-end Karlsson (this was pointed on the main board thread, Cooke likes that move), him losing his balance and him trying to stop the puck from going around the boards with his left skate (look at the puck moving while he gets tangled up)
But its still a stomp. He sees the puck all the way and he would have had his skate down way before it was near him.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViCiieux View Post
But its still a stomp. He sees the puck all the way and he would have had his skate down way before it was near him.
You should watch it in real time, watching it in slow-mo will distort your perception

The whole thing happened really fast: Cooke tried to do something dirty, failed to do so and ended up hurting Karlsson a whole lot more than he wanted to.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:34 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Ask yourself if it was an accident, why did Cooke skate away? One word: Guilty.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:36 PM
ViCiieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
You should watch it in real time, watching it in slow-mo will distort your perception

The whole thing happened really fast: Cooke tried to do something dirty, failed to do so and ended up hurting Karlsson a whole lot more than he wanted to.
Even if I watch this in real time I still see the stomp...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM4vk_p4f00

Old
02-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Jasper

Cooke's actions were 'accidental' the way a drunk who runs over a pedestrian is an 'accident'. Whether it was intentional or not he's at least extremely reckless and should be thrown out of the league after taking out yet another star player. Why does it always seem to be stars he takes out?

Old
02-15-2013, 07:41 PM
kimmofan44

hey guys, flyers fan here. I just wanted to say that what happened to karlsson is horrible and the league should be ashamed of themselves for letting that ******* cooke play at all after that play. losing karlsson isn't just bad for you guys, its bad for the entire NHL. he is the best defenseman in the league and arguably the best player in the east right now. I hope and pray for a speedy recovery and just know that, even though we get a bad reputation, flyers fans feel for you and think you deserve justice for what happened.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:46 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Wow. Look at that. Pens take out Enstrom.

Closed Thread