HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Selection: Ideal Candidates

View Poll Results: Who would you pick?
Josh Morrissey 12 8.28%
Frederik Gauthier 36 24.83%
Alexander Wennberg 1 0.69%
Anthony Mantha 14 9.66%
Adam Erne 4 2.76%
Curtis Lazar 50 34.48%
Kerby Rychel 3 2.07%
Max Domi 7 4.83%
Robert Hagg 3 2.07%
Jason Dickinson 0 0%
Other 15 10.34%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-15-2013, 05:56 PM
  #276
Red Deer Rebel
Registered User
 
Red Deer Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 2,393
vCash: 500
Didn't realize that Sasha Barkov at 6'3" 209lbs is almost a calendar year younger than Seth Jones or Monahan. Plays center.

I think we're going to pick around 6th. Hard to say no to that if he's still on the board.

Red Deer Rebel is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 06:38 PM
  #277
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Didn't realize that Sasha Barkov at 6'3" 209lbs is almost a calendar year younger than Seth Jones or Monahan. Plays center.

I think we're going to pick around 6th. Hard to say no to that if he's still on the board.
As talented as some of the other guys are, it's hard to pass on a potential elite center. You look at the NHL and its really lacking down the middle. Guys like this will always have value in the league. I wish he was more physical but his production speaks for itself.

DousedInOil is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 06:50 PM
  #278
SchultzSquared
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,361
vCash: 500
This one reason why I have Barkov high...

1. Jones
2. Barkov
3. MacKinnon
4. Drouin
5. Nichushkin
6. Lindholm
7. Monahan
8. Ristolainen
9. Pulock
10. Bowey
11. Shinkaruk
12. Zadorov
13. Nurse
14. Erne
15. Morrissey
16. Mantha
17. Dickinson
18. Wennberg
19. Hagg
20. Zykov
21. Lazar
22. Petan
23. Burakowsky
24. Fucale
25. Rychel
26. Domi
27. Horvat
28. Comrie
29. Compher
30. Mueller

Gauthier Lekhonen Carrier Santini Hogberg in the next group

SchultzSquared is online now  
Old
02-15-2013, 07:01 PM
  #279
Oiltankjob Fail
Registered User
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,693
vCash: 50
I would like Barkov or Lazar Mackinnon does not impress me from the viewings ive seen.


Last edited by Oiltankjob Fail: 02-15-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Oiltankjob Fail is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 08:19 PM
  #280
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,341
vCash: 50
Lazar over MacKinnon? Be the first I've seen that's made that choice.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 11:08 PM
  #281
canovin
Oil Dynasty
 
canovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 780
Posts: 2,188
vCash: 500
I have a feeling if there's in person who's going to fall, it's Barkov and Oilers will snatch him at 10th

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Harsti-Barkov-Yakupov

canovin is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 11:45 PM
  #282
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,341
vCash: 50
I honestly don't see Barkov falling much at all... huge C with good offense? If you are a GM that's gold.

Wishful thinking that he'd fall... of course the way the Oilers are going he doesn't have to fall for them to get him.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 11:53 PM
  #283
Oiltankjob Fail
Registered User
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,693
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Lazar over MacKinnon? Be the first I've seen that's made that choice.
Every time Ive seen Mackinnon play I have been very unimpressed, I could be completely wrong when he hits the NHL but I think he will end up a marginal player in the Nhl , and if we had 1st choice would be Jones for me 2nd pick jones gone Drouin.


Last edited by Oiltankjob Fail: 02-16-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Oiltankjob Fail is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 11:56 PM
  #284
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,222
vCash: 500
It would be hard to say no to Mackinnon but given the Oilers current top 6 forwards he's not the best fit.

dustrock is online now  
Old
02-16-2013, 12:44 AM
  #285
Burnt Biscuits
Registered User
 
Burnt Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Every time Ive seen Mackinnon play I have been very unimpressed, I could be completely wrong when he hits the NHL but I think he will end up a marginal player in the Nhl , and if we had 1st choice would be Jones for me 2nd pick jones gone Drouin.
I would bet a lot of money that you are going to be wrong, he has all the makings of an impact player in the NHL and I've seen no reason to doubt him. I also would take him number #1 and I think their is plenty of room for him in our top 6, its Gagner who there would be no more room for if we were lucky enough to draft him. MacKinnon would give us the highly sought after #1-#2 punch down the middle, where we could have two capable #1 centers (with a few years seasoning).

Burnt Biscuits is online now  
Old
02-16-2013, 12:46 AM
  #286
Oiltankjob Fail
Registered User
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,693
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
I would bet a lot of money that you are going to be wrong, he has all the makings of an impact player in the NHL and I've seen no reason to doubt him. I also would take him number #1 and I think their is plenty of room for him in our top 6, its Gagner who there would be no more room for if we were lucky enough to draft him. MacKinnon would give us the highly sought after #1-#2 punch down the middle, where we could have two capable #1 centers (with a few years seasoning).
Well Im no scout so no bet but I just have not been impressed with him, heard reports next Crosby when he was in midget don't see it.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 01:04 AM
  #287
Burnt Biscuits
Registered User
 
Burnt Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Well Im no scout so no bet but I just have not been impressed with him, heard reports next Crosby when he was in midget don't see it.
Oh he definitely is not the next Crosby I will tell you that right now, that ship has come and gone. I'd peg him as a mix of Matt Duchene and Taylor Hall, he has some elements of Crosby but I don't think he really plays like him the way he works a cycle and his lower body strength show little glimpses of Crosby, but the hockey sense is definitely not on the same level.

Burnt Biscuits is online now  
Old
02-16-2013, 11:41 AM
  #288
speeds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St.Albert
Posts: 6,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I honestly don't see Barkov falling much at all... huge C with good offense? If you are a GM that's gold.

Wishful thinking that he'd fall... of course the way the Oilers are going he doesn't have to fall for them to get him.
FWIW, Couturier fell to 8th two drafts ago

speeds is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 11:48 AM
  #289
Gobo
What's Your Issue?
 
Gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wild Rose Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,280
vCash: 500
Jones, Barkov, Mohanahan, Lindholm THEN Mackinnon.

Gobo is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 11:53 AM
  #290
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,388
vCash: 500
I really like that this draft seems to be shaping up that there wont be much difference between a player taken 3rd overall and the player taken 10th overall.

I still think the Oilers finish bottom 8 and get a very good player

nabob is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 11:59 AM
  #291
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,442
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
FWIW, Couturier fell to 8th two drafts ago
And has made 6 GM's look stupid for passing on him. RNH was going first but Couturier shoud have went 2nd or 3rd in the draft.

raab is online now  
Old
02-16-2013, 12:14 PM
  #292
speeds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St.Albert
Posts: 6,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
And has made 6 GM's look stupid for passing on him. RNH was going first but Couturier shoud have went 2nd or 3rd in the draft.
My point is that it can happen.

speeds is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 12:21 PM
  #293
The Nuge
Moderator
5-14-6-1
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,784
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
My point is that it can happen.
Ya it happens every year. Just gotta hope it's the guy we want

The Nuge is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 12:30 PM
  #294
dixs35
Registered User
 
dixs35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,461
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
And has made 6 GM's look stupid for passing on him. RNH was going first but Couturier shoud have went 2nd or 3rd in the draft.
He's still the guy I would have liked number 1. I like RNH, but Couturier was my guy. When he started to fall I was yelling at the TV trying to will Tambo to trade whatever It took to get him. On a side note I wonder if the Jets wish they could have a mulligan.

dixs35 is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 04:47 PM
  #295
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
He's still the guy I would have liked number 1. I like RNH, but Couturier was my guy. When he started to fall I was yelling at the TV trying to will Tambo to trade whatever It took to get him. On a side note I wonder if the Jets wish they could have a mulligan.
Couturier had a good rookie year but he has not done much this year. I am not saying that he is a bust but it is still too early to tell how good he will be.

I just hope that when we draft this year that what ever player we draft he has size and either adds to the top 6 or top 4 dmen. We need size though!!!

rockinghockey is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 04:48 PM
  #296
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
This one reason why I have Barkov high...

1. Jones
2. Barkov
3. MacKinnon
4. Drouin
5. Nichushkin
6. Lindholm
7. Monahan
8. Ristolainen
9. Pulock
10. Bowey
11. Shinkaruk
12. Zadorov
13. Nurse
14. Erne
15. Morrissey
16. Mantha
17. Dickinson
18. Wennberg
19. Hagg
20. Zykov
21. Lazar
22. Petan
23. Burakowsky
24. Fucale
25. Rychel
26. Domi
27. Horvat
28. Comrie
29. Compher
30. Mueller

Gauthier Lekhonen Carrier Santini Hogberg in the next group
A lot of scouts are saying that Gauthier could fall into the top 10.

rockinghockey is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 05:34 PM
  #297
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
It would be hard to say no to Mackinnon but given the Oilers current top 6 forwards he's not the best fit.
Why not. He's not big but he is very strong on the puck and is a real battler. He is also tremendously skilled and is solid defensively. I'd love to have him on the Oilers.

Fourier is online now  
Old
02-16-2013, 06:01 PM
  #298
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,777
vCash: 500
With how deep the talent is in the top half of the 1st round this year, all but guaranteed there will be some surprising movement similar to Fowler, Gormley, Couturier, etc.

Not sure who or how far a guy will fall, but lately they almost always do a bit.

Hopefully we can take advantage this time, because it is nearly impossible to trade into that position. We will need to pick in the 6-12 range to get that player.

SDig14 is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 06:51 PM
  #299
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
He's still the guy I would have liked number 1. I like RNH, but Couturier was my guy. When he started to fall I was yelling at the TV trying to will Tambo to trade whatever It took to get him. On a side note I wonder if the Jets wish they could have a mulligan.
Me too.

He was my choice at mid season when I expected the oilers to get top pick.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 01:25 AM
  #300
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dousedinoil
Center's with his size don't come along often and he still produced at a 1.65 point/game ratio. This is actually higher then Huberdeau's regular season production. Having said all that, he is the better two way player, pay attention to details and can hit like a truck. Of all the players in the draft he is also probably the most NHL ready.

He doesn't have a whole lot missing from his game but doesn't have that explosiveness and creativity that scouts are looking for in a 1st overall pick. At some point scouts are going to have to stop falling into the hype of other players and realize that they are being overly critical of Sean's game. He also has the right attitude and character that is needed to be an NHL pro. He doesn't let rankings and comments get to him. He plays his game and can adapt to any role that the coach is willing to give him.
I posted that back on May 19th of 2011. I had him ranked 5th but the 3rd highest rated forward behind the Nuge and Landeskog. I think its still hard to predict defencemen so its hard to say hes going to be better than Larsson and Hamilton. I still barely take him ahead of Huberdeau who has 9 points already this year.

DousedInOil is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.