HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Coffee Shop Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 06:32 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
You know what, if Lars is really on the market, how would you qualify MB's vision going forward? We are a small team and shopping our tallest and nastiest (take it for what it's worth compared to the other options) center who is poised to break out eventually. I don't believe this rumor one bit.
rumor isnt that MB is shopping Eller, it's the other way around it seems, other GMs asking about Eller.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:34 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
You know what, if Lars is really on the market, how would you qualify MB's vision going forward? We are a small team and shopping our tallest and nastiest (take it for what it's worth compared to the other options) center who is poised to break out eventually. I don't believe this rumor one bit.
That's nonsense. Bergevin not being interested in trading Eller does not conflict with the idea that Eller is being discussed, or at least proposed in trades.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:38 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
I said remove DD's wingers from last year.
Give him let's say Moen and Bourque/Kostitsyn/Paljsu/Anyone else (think last years performance).

Does DD get 60pts?
No.

That right there tells you, that he has quality line mates, while Eller gets shafted. There is no arguing the point. It is a FACT that Eller has yet to play with the top talent on this team for more then a shift or 2.

No one is saying Eller is a godsend, then next Gretzky. We are trying to explain that he has the raw skills needed to be a top 6 center, but he doesn't get anything.

Let me ask this again.

What has DD done to deserve the ice-time he's been getting? He's a -6, 5 pts, can't win a faceoff, can win a puck battle (60% of the time), is atrocious in his own end.
Please explain this to me.
Okay. Disclaimer from the start.
I think DD isn't playing well AT ALL this season, and while -3 of his -6 comes from the atrocious game against the Leafs where nobody bothered to show up... well, -3 wouldn't be that great either.

He's possibly playing his way out of a contract offer, or out of the lineup as a spare forward, which would probably prompt no contract offer.

My problem with the whole Eller love Saga (hey, we're talking about a Dane here!) is the following :

+ DD gets blamed of something that Eller isn't that much better in that regards --- obviously, the faceoffs. Whopping 1.3% difference between them. Below the error margin. So if DD sucks, then Eller sucks.

+ Team building -- I think MT likes having 4 functionnal lines. Eller on the 4th gives a functionnal line. DD on the 4th.... well, it remains to be seen, but I have to be convinced that it would make a functionnal line. If MT judges that DD on the 4th doesn't give a functionnal line, then DD is scratched, while there are quite a few players who are more underperforming than him, hence a problem with ACCOUNTABILITY (see below)

+ Qual of Comp -- I'd like to see the QUALCOMP numbers for this year, but my guts tell me that DD faces better competition, thus Eller having soft minutes, thus making the whole point of DD was good because of soft minutes last season, let's give them to Eller to see what he could do ... well, a bit contradictory. I'm totally not sure of what I'm saying here, just a gut feeling.

+ Icetime -- Eller's line could get more IT and DD's could get less. If anything, I'd be all for it... if Eller's line wouldn't feature Armstrong. Ryan White?... Possibly.

+ Top-Talent -- According to this board, AK-47 was top talent. I don't know if that's more revealing about this board than about AK-47.

+ Accountability -- Cole plays worse than DD. Scratch DD, so Eller can play on a Top-6. Yeah, that TOTALLY makes sense.

(crap, I gotta leave, but I had a few more points, but you probably get the idea that the solution regarding Eller isn't necessarily related to Desharnais)

Old
02-15-2013, 06:41 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
Thank you
this is what I have been trying to say for my past 10 posts.
Its pretty simple, for the past 2 years DD has been giving every chance to succeed while Eller has not gone more than 1 game with decent linemates. At some point you have to give Eller a real shot, and there is no better time than now with DD struggling and Eller thriving. Id like to see somehting like this
Bourque-Pleks-Gio
Patches-Eller-DD
Gally-Gally-Cole
Prust-White-Moen

Those are 3 incredibly balanced lines, and 1 hell of a 4th line that wont take $hit from nobody.
Would be great (switch DD and Eller, doesn't matter... try both, actually), but can Bgal play LW?

Old
02-15-2013, 06:41 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
+ Qual of Comp -- I'd like to see the QUALCOMP numbers for this year, but my guts tell me that DD faces better competition, thus Eller having soft minutes, thus making the whole point of DD was good because of soft minutes last season, let's give them to Eller to see what he could do ... well, a bit contradictory. I'm totally not sure of what I'm saying here, just a gut feeling.
difference is, easy matchups alongisde Cole/Patches isnt the same as easier matchups alongside Moen/Armstrong.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:45 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Pacioretty-Eller-Cole could be the type of big line that other teams have trouble competing with see: Perry-Getzlaf-Penner.

Of course, two of those players are significantly better than what we have, but doesn't stop the big boys who can skate from being effective.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Danleri

If it's not O'Rielly coming back, I'm not interested. Therrien needs to grow a pair and actually give Eller a chance with real wingers for more then 3 shifts, he's been one of our best and most consistent forwards the last 4-5 games.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:46 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
That's nonsense. Bergevin not being interested in trading Eller does not conflict with the idea that Eller is being discussed, or at least proposed in trades.
You're contradicting yourself there..

Old
02-15-2013, 07:07 PM
HCH

Quote:

My problem with the whole Eller love Saga (hey, we're talking about a Dane here!) is the following :
What????

Old
02-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
rumor isnt that MB is shopping Eller, it's the other way around it seems, other GMs asking about Eller.
What can the Habs get back for Eller, Halak + a draft pick?

Old
02-15-2013, 07:15 PM
nodice
Registered Lurker

Quote:
You're contradicting yourself there..
No, he is not. What is so hard to understand? MB isnt shopping Eller, other teams are inquiring, if he is being discussed it is because GM'S are calling MB with offers. this is a GM's job, to at least contemplate these offers, it dosn't mean he WANTS to trade him.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:18 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
They're asking because they see a team that is misusing a player and they think to themselves : they don't care about this guy, maybe we can get him for cheap.

If I were another team's GM, I'd also inquire about Subban. Try to pry him away from the habs.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
What????
Lookup what a saga is.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:24 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodice View Post
No, he is not. What is so hard to understand? MB isnt shopping Eller, other teams are inquiring, if he is being discussed it is because GM'S are calling MB with offers. this is a GM's job, to at least contemplate these offers, it dosn't mean he WANTS to trade him.
If he is discussing Eller in trades it means he has an interest in trading him otherwise there would be no discussions.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:26 PM
David_99

Quote:
If he is discussing Eller in trades it means he has an interest in trading him otherwise there would be no discussions.
MB said before the season even started, teams were calling him about Eller. Answering a phone /= a trade discussion.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:43 PM
MXD

Quote:
difference is, easy matchups alongisde Cole/Patches isnt the same as easier matchups alongside Moen/Armstrong.
OF course.
He also only has two points in 10 games (or 9...) with them.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:44 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Pacioretty-Eller-Cole could be the type of big line that other teams have trouble competing with see: Perry-Getzlaf-Penner.

Of course, two of those players are significantly better than what we have, but doesn't stop the big boys who can skate from being effective.
Again, considering the whole accountability concept, it's a failing solution.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:48 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

No surprises he's seen as a 2nd center by some fans and plays on the 4th line. If you're with the staff of another team you take notice. I personally don't think Eller is ever gonna be better than what Pleks is right now, and even then he seems to be far from that level.

Desharnais or Eller can be traded for the right price, I couldn't care less. If I'm on another team I'd rather ask about Eller than Desharnais though.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:57 PM
brian70

I thought this subject was simple but it seems to me the Desharnais vs Eller debate is turning into the past Halak vs Price debate. The pro-Desharnais emphasize on Eller's faults to the point of denying facts (invisible, soft, two bad seasons, had his chances) while the pro-Eller diminish Desharnais' contribution (loses all his face-offs and puck battles).

Therrien does have a soft spot for David, right or wrong. And he's been tougher on Lars than on anyone else, including White (took him 2 gaffes to be scratched). I don't know why Eller hasn't been tested seriously with top 6 wingers for a few games when he's shown his upside next to AK and Moen. What I do know is that he would definitely flourish elsewhere if given the opportunity.

One thing I don't understand is the idea that Desharnais is too small to play on the wing. So let's put him at center instead? He's often compared to Marty St-Louis... who's a winger. No one complains about St-Louis size.

Before trading anyone, I wish Therrien would experiment Eller at center with either Cole/Pacioretty or with DD on the wing. Otherwise, I really don't see the point of keeping Eller, or for Eller to remain on that team. The kid has had potential for a few years now and it's time for him to produce on a good line in Montreal or elsewhere.

And P.S.: the Blues were looking forward to Eller centering their 2nd line and it was rumored that the player (or one of them) Armstrong/Davidson offered Gauthier in replace of Eller was Berglund. Before you resent your GM for making the wrong pick, ask yourself how Berglund would have been used in Montreal and imagine the results.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:25 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
MB said before the season even started, teams were calling him about Eller. Answering a phone /= a trade discussion.
Omg this has to stop.

Sorry for nitpicking but..

THERE IS NOT =/= or /= in programming (where the short form comes from) or in the English language.

The symbol for DOES NOT is !=. Actually I think its also used in English as well.

=/= means: is equal or equal (in English), in software development its a syntax error.
/= means: or equal, doesn't mean anything at all.

Sorry its driving me nuts, I see it misused EVERYWHERE!

P.S not picking on you.

Last edited by compile: 02-15-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old
02-15-2013, 09:36 PM
compile

Quote:
OF course.
He also only has two points in 10 games (or 9...) with them.
So let me understand this:

playing the PK, taking the defensive role, no PP = plays against less talented players.

vs

Offensive zone face-offs, no d-zone responsibilities, all PP time in the world, no PK = plays against higher talent.

Wow.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:43 PM
AntonCH

01110111011010000110111100100000011000110110000101 1100100110010101110011

Old
02-15-2013, 09:56 PM
compile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
01110111011010000110111100100000011000110110000101 1100100110010101110011
I do, its an insult to my profession.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:59 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
I do, its an insult to my profession.
Insult? Really?
Should I have included a sarcasm smiley in binary as well?

Old
02-15-2013, 10:07 PM
compile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Insult? Really?
Should I have included a sarcasm smiley in binary as well?
What exactly does THIS bring into the conversation?. You literally came in here and posted "who cares" in binary. That is some constructive criticism of the topic. At least I've been discussing it.

Really your post is useless. Congrats for the redundant post of the day.

Closed Thread