HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Will the "Zucc" be back? (3/25: Agrees to terms)

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Dorado*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Shying away from contact and getting run over physically by much bigger players are two different things. MZA is not shy. He is also not big enough-strong enough lined up against a lot of other NHL forwards. It's not a question of courage or will. His problem is he is tiny and at even strength has to be spotted into the lineup. He wasn't ever able to crack the top 6 which leaves him in the no man's land of fighting for a spot reserved for people who forecheck, hit, fight and penalty kill--things that are not his strengths. Bottom 6 NHL forward slots don't always go to the more talented player. The basic requirement for those players is that they can skate and grind.

The other thing about Torts--he's a small guy who played in the minors and never made it. He was the guy that St. Louis first prospered under. If MZA were for real he'd be on this team.

Don't give that Buffon egomaniac TortS ANY CREDIT on MSL . MSL is a generational talent , who has win almost every meaningful offensive award in the NHL and a first ballot HOFer . Only credits Clowny Torts gets is he played him and it doesn't take Scotty Bowman to figure out the guy is an amazing talent .

Old
02-15-2013, 08:15 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Yes.

It's pretty moronic that management goes out and gives Stu Bickel an opening day guarantee in the lineup along with a 2 yr deal for being 'tough' and playing with 'grit'. That roster spot could've easily been used to transpire Zuccarello in the lineup, who was creating scoring chance after scoring chance playing with Boyle before his wrist injury. Basically a slap in the face to MZA to sign a scrub a 2-yr deal and already acclaiming Kreider as a guarantee top 6 player to start the year. Can't blame him for chasing the leaving. Small sample size, but Zuccarello-Boyle-Mitchell looked pretty good out there last year in the limited sample size I saw them play in. Controlling possession, getting shots away, easier transition, etc.
Whatever Bickel has to do with this argument? Basically a stay at home physical d-man borderline NHL player. Speaking of borderline that's exactly where MZA found himself and a major reason why I suspect he went back to Europe but besides the one being a tiny skilled forward and the other being a large physical defenseman there was also the question of the $ it would cost to keep either on board. It might miff you that Bickel landed himself a 2 year one way deal at $750K per but really that's not the kind of contract that sinks a team if it doesn't work out. Getting MZA's name on the dotted line would most probably have cost much more and the probability is that he would still be struggling to find a permanent place on the team. As for Kreider and Miller being worse options--whether or not Kreider has struggled all year long in both the AHL and NHL--last year's playoffs at least gives reason to believe that he's going to have a long and productive career and Miller's first few games has shown that even if he needs more fine tuning that he can hang at the NHL level (at 19 years old) without embarrassing himself.

The other thing that MZA created chance after chance is a bit of a rosy view of what exactly he did do--last year it meant 2 goals and 1 assist in 10 games.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:21 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Don't give that Buffon egomaniac TortS ANY CREDIT on MSL . MSL is a generational talent , who has win almost every meaningful offensive award in the NHL and a first ballot HOFer . Only credits Clowny Torts gets is he played him and it doesn't take Scotty Bowman to figure out the guy is an amazing talent .
I've not always been happy with Torts but when his team is winning it's hard to argue with the decisions he makes. And when calling someone a buffoon it's best when you know how to spell the word correctly.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:49 AM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post

Sweet goal from the little one...
Yep, still slow and weak that guy..

Old
02-16-2013, 09:06 AM
AlwaysARanger
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Yep, still slow and weak that guy..
I dont think you can tell from the Pictures. No physical contact and the defenders didnt skate.

Nice goal though.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:18 PM
usernamesteph

Quote:
Whatever Bickel has to do with this argument? Basically a stay at home physical d-man borderline NHL player. Speaking of borderline that's exactly where MZA found himself and a major reason why I suspect he went back to Europe but besides the one being a tiny skilled forward and the other being a large physical defenseman there was also the question of the $ it would cost to keep either on board. It might miff you that Bickel landed himself a 2 year one way deal at $750K per but really that's not the kind of contract that sinks a team if it doesn't work out. Getting MZA's name on the dotted line would most probably have cost much more and the probability is that he would still be struggling to find a permanent place on the team. As for Kreider and Miller being worse options--whether or not Kreider has struggled all year long in both the AHL and NHL--last year's playoffs at least gives reason to believe that he's going to have a long and productive career and Miller's first few games has shown that even if he needs more fine tuning that he can hang at the NHL level (at 19 years old) without embarrassing himself.

The other thing that MZA created chance after chance is a bit of a rosy view of what exactly he did do--last year it meant 2 goals and 1 assist in 10 games.
What's about parenteau? What's the explanation for losing him? Torts doesn't give certain players a chance.. parenteau was discarded..not good enough for torts..and zuccarello is better...

I predict that zuccarello will eventually be back in the NHL and it will be an embarrassment for the rangers

Old
02-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamesteph View Post
What's about parenteau? What's the explanation for losing him? Torts doesn't give certain players a chance.. parenteau was discarded..not good enough for torts..and zuccarello is better...

I predict that zuccarello will eventually be back in the NHL and it will be an embarrassment for the rangers
It's really kinda sad to think about, and maybe just because some of us are bitter about the kind of game this team plays versus what we'd like to see, but if Torts wasn't coaching this team, and forming its' identity, PaP and Zucc would probably still be here scoring goals.

I didn't like PaP while he was here, but there is no denying the guy is talented in right system. I liked Zucc, but it was clear he wasn't going to fit in with the Rangers as they are currently designed. He is an NHL caliber player, however.

02-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Problem is that zuke said that NYR is the only club for him in the nhl..

He could change his mind though...

Old
02-16-2013, 02:59 PM
3rdlineglory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
It's really kinda sad to think about, and maybe just because some of us are bitter about the kind of game this team plays versus what we'd like to see, but if Torts wasn't coaching this team, and forming its' identity, PaP and Zucc would probably still be here scoring goals.

I didn't like PaP while he was here, but there is no denying the guy is talented in right system. I liked Zucc, but it was clear he wasn't going to fit in with the Rangers as they are currently designed. He is an NHL caliber player, however.
PAP didn't really produce that much when he was here though. It wasn't until he got premier minutes with the likes of Tavares and Moulson. There is no way we would have seen that production from him here. He would be stuck behind Gaborik and Callahan on the depth charts. And no, Sather couldn't look in the future to make sure Callahan and Gaborik wouldn't miss significant time in the 10-11 season.

As for Zucc. Just because he has good hands and passing skills doesn't mean he would necessarily thrive in the type of system you're referring to. He would have to improve his skating to keep up. I still like the guy though and I wouldn't mind him back.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:

Bickel has played as many games as the team's 4th line winger as he has a 'shutdown defenseman'. What exactly has he shutdown? The hearts of Rangers fans for his absolutely, moronic, dumb, untimely, backbreaking blunders that costs the team? I absolutely do think the re-signing of him meant the end of MZA, primarily due to securing one of the 50 contracts on Bickel before MZA. Slap in the face.

And yes, the stat sheet was a small sample size like I said. I was going off of what I personally saw from him and what I saw was a nifty player with offensive instincts that can help this hockey team. He was also decent in his first call up to the Rangers his rookie season, putting up an effective .5 PPG pace in his rookie year.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:09 PM
3rdlineglory

Quote:
Bickel has played as many games as the team's 4th line winger as he has a 'shutdown defenseman'. What exactly has he shutdown? The hearts of Rangers fans for his absolutely, moronic, dumb, untimely, backbreaking blunders that costs the team? I absolutely do think the re-signing of him meant the end of MZA, primarily due to securing one of the 50 contracts on Bickel before MZA. Slap in the face.

And yes, the stat sheet was a small sample size like I said. I was going off of what I personally saw from him and what I saw was a nifty player with offensive instincts that can help this hockey team. He was also decent in his first call up to the Rangers his rookie season, putting up an effective .5 PPG pace in his rookie year.
1. Bickel only played wing because of injuries
2. The Rangers never reached the 50 contract limit so that argument goes out the window.
3. He was decent, but his performances with the Rangers haven't been that great. Most of his points in the 10-11 season came right at the beginning of his time here. Also 3 points in 10 games isn't that amazing either.
4. I don't know why you keep believing in these ridiculous theories. I don't know what's worse this or the fact that Anisimov playing with Prust and Shelley somehow hurt his confidence or something.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:24 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

I said it before and I'll say it again..

I think the ultimate F U to Mza last season was when he was ready to return from the arm injury, was fresh and unknown to the opponents..and then Torts went with an injured player in stead..

Imagine How an unknown, skilled and rested Mza could match up in game 6 last season..In stead we went with an injured player that the opponent read like an open book..

Imagine the dissapointment Mza felt when he busted his a** trying to come back and help the team and then being benched for an injured player..

Old
02-16-2013, 04:53 PM
3rdlineglory

Quote:
I said it before and I'll say it again..

I think the ultimate F U to Mza last season was when he was ready to return from the arm injury, was fresh and unknown to the opponents..and then Torts went with an injured player in stead..

Imagine How an unknown, skilled and rested Mza could match up in game 6 last season..In stead we went with an injured player that the opponent read like an open book..

Imagine the dissapointment Mza felt when he busted his a** trying to come back and help the team and then being benched for an injured player..
It also works the other way too. While being out can have advantages it can also be a bad thing. Torts probably didn't wanna just throw him into that type of situation after being out so long. Also, Zucc would have had a hard time against the Devils aggressive forecheck with his lack of size and speed.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

MZA will probably never be looked at here again...

Old
02-16-2013, 08:59 PM
I Am Classless

I like PA Parenteau a lot and I think he could have been a "Torts player," but he had his cup of coffee here and he really didn't do much with it. Maybe MZA will turn out the same way, who knows. Different coaches, different jerseys, different teammates, different expectations, maybe he'll be a good NHL top six forward. It's a weird game.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:56 PM
eco's bones

Quote:

Did I somewhere say that Bickel was a shutdown defenseman? It wasn't in the post you referenced and if I said it anywhere it was certainly a brain fart. In that post I did say he was a stay at home physical defenseman and a borderline NHL player to boot. He's no great shakes at this particular moment in time and has limited upside at least with the Rangers. In any case MZA is a borderline NHL forward not because he doesn't possess enough skills to be a decent offensive producer but because his size, strength and defensive play are all less than adequate and his skating for a small player (at the NHL level) is somewhere around average. Bickel has limitations to his game but when he plays it simple he can be effective with limited ice time. Zuccarello's size, strength issues limit greatly what he can do as well. Automatically he is best suited to a top 6 role but he's not good enough for that with the current Ranger team. He's a liability as a bottom 6 player because he can't pk, he's not a particularly good forechecker and he doesn't win enough board and corner battles or play particularly well defensively.

To me it would not have been a big deal if the Rangers hadn't brought either of them back by the way.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

If I'm not mistaken he has 28 points (11G+17A) in 44 games in khl...

Not setting the world on fire, but he's had a rough year with injuries and such..

Playoff's in khl starts soon..

Old
02-17-2013, 01:38 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken he has 28 points (11G+17A) in 44 games in khl...

Not setting the world on fire, but he's had a rough year with injuries and such..

Playoff's in khl starts soon..
The KHL playoffs will start on 20 February 2013 with the top eight teams from both conferences.
In the Eastern division #4 Metallurg Magnitogorsk (Zuccarellos team) will match up against #5 Salavat Yulaev Ufa in the first round
The KHL playoffswill thereafter continue far into April
If Zuccarellos team is eliminated early - then he can be immediately be offered an NHL contract as he has an NHL out clause and his rights are retained by the NYR.
Sather has previously said to the media that he would be exploring this option, which is new related to the latest CBA
Considering the abysmal PP so far one would have to think this option will be explored as it only costs money and not the NYR giving up any assets for eventually patching up one of the definite holes we need to fill come playoffs. And there is plenty of cap space to do this.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Old Norse Hockey

According to the Norwegian newspaper “VG” he states that he is not satisfied with his performance this season and that he is very disappointed that he got injured this season.

The newspaper asks him about a possible return to the Rangers, he states that he do not expect to be called back to New York.

He also saying something about a possible surgery this summer, and that he looks forward to play in the WC with Patrick Thoresen.
One thing the newspaper states in this article is that the Rangers have a clause/option to call him back.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Norse Hockey View Post
According to the Norwegian newspaper “VG” he states that he is not satisfied with his performance this season and that he is very disappointed that he got injured this season.

The newspaper asks him about a possible return to the Rangers, he states that he do not expect to be called back to New York.

He also saying something about a possible surgery this summer, and that he looks forward to play in the WC with Patrick Thoresen.
One thing the newspaper states in this article is that the Rangers have a clause/option to call him back.
It's at least 10 days old "news"..

We'll see..If the right contract is offered I think he'll bite..

But I could see him playing WC hockey instead...

Old
02-17-2013, 03:45 PM
Dorado*

In the bizarro world that is " Torts kind of hockey " players who help the PP are no good . Need more jam , more grind , more play behind the net .

Old
02-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
In the bizarro world that is " Torts kind of hockey " players who help the PP are no good . Need more jam , more grind , more play behind the net .
Not even that. This team is build for 5v5 hockey and we thrive usually on killing penalties, that gives us momentum. Our PP set up isn't that good and it hasn't been a strong spot. Of course, it's a bad idea to abandon it but they aren't going to just focus on that 24/7. 5 on 5 and defensive play is more important.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:44 AM
Ola

Lets go ufa!!!

Old
02-27-2013, 07:45 AM
Crease

This thread again? Eff it, bring him in.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:49 AM
Ola

(as reported elsewhere) http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...MUW0hT8yGmYYJP

Closed Thread