HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Fail for top pick. Come back with a contender next year!

Old
02-15-2013, 08:24 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietOnTheFront View Post
I don't think it's a case of players giving up that will push us to the bottom, it's a lack of hight quality players with Spezza and Karlsson out. We are going to struggle to score and we are going to struggle to win. We no longer have the luxuries of elite talent in their prime. Spezza and Karlsson are the biggest if not the only true offensive catalysts on our team. Without them it's going to be tough not to be a bottom feeder this year.

I don't doubt that the team will do everything within their power to win every night, I just think that only gets you so far when you have so much talent missing. It's inevitable to think we are going to be a lottery pick team. And like the overall consensus of this board. I am totally fine with it.

The only problem is.. who do we want? Seems to be a lot of movement with ISS bumping Nichushkin ahead of Mackinnon. Mackinnon is a number 1 elite centre. Do we want a centre or a winger? So much high end talent in the top 10 it's almost scary to have that many options.
If Anderson is not traded then Ottawa might not get into the top 10, he will still keep them in a lot of games. I'm hoping that they will be able to trade some guys at the trade deadline to get a few more picks including a 2nd maybe from trading Gonchar. There could be some pretty good players mid-first & 2nd/3rd rd. Gauthier & Mantha are likely mid to late first rd picks that could be interesting prospects, Button had some good things to say about both these guys even comparing Mantha to James Neal. Morin & Bailey are likely 2nd to 3rd rd picks that would also be interesting prospects with potential.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:25 PM
the doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKarlsson View Post
The reason for this thread is ...to acknowledge the fact that we are mostly an ahl team...
So, you want everyone to "acknowledge" that this is an AHL team? Sorry, can't do it. What a ridiculous notion. Go ahead and hope for a string of losses if that's what you want to get a low pick, but I'm hoping that the kids will respond and new players will emerge as staples on this team for years to come.

the doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

Nice to see so many of you throwing in the towel already, *******.

Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:36 PM
neutral zone trap13

At the start of the season I was very sure that we would make the playoffs, now I'm not AS confident as before but I think that this team can play well!!! And hey... it's better to have a below average Sens team than no NHL at all.

neutral zone trap13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:39 PM
the doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
This team sucks. Whats the point of pushing for the playoffs when there's basically 0 chance of winning the Stanley Cup.

Just focus this year on the youth and development and regroup for next season.
These two sentences are in conflict. What do you mean by "pushing for the playoffs"? In my mind, focusing on youth and pushing for the playoffs are the same thing.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:41 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Time To Be Positive

We've got a goalie and an awesome coach, and some high end prospects being led by the longest serving captain in the league. We need to give this team a chance now to show their stuff.....

If Andy makes a few saves and we start winning a few ugly ones...we'll have a shot no doubt imo. I'm expecting this team to be one of the hardest working groups from here on out this season. Spezza could be back for the last few games this year and that alone could squeak us in, heck look what Pittsburgh did a few years back when both Geno and Croz were out.

This team is gonna be hungrier then ever and out to prove something......and it all starts tomorrow, regardless of the current roster, BM will make a move when the right offer comes along, and the goal still remains the same as it did a month ago, make the playoffs without mortgaging the future in the second year of the rebuild. Karlsson could potentially be back for a first round playoff series; and that fact alone should be enough for us to really give it our best shot.

I refuse to embrace the tank regardless of how talented the top 10 picks in the draft are this year, I trust our scouting team enough to know that wherever we pick...we will be getting an important piece to our future going forward.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:42 PM
starling

Quote:
Jones, Drouin, McKinnon etc. > 1st round knock out, 9th place
Bottom 3 finish will mean that Anderson is not elite goaltender and Zibby & Silf are borderline second liners at best. Thanks but no.

starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
Bottom 3 finish will mean that Anderson is not elite goaltender and Zibby & Silf are borderline second liners at best. Thanks but no.
we have lost 2 games this year 1-0. Anderson was not responsible for those loses. if we cant score we cant win

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:51 PM
trobby

Only god can save us this year....

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Well considering neither are 2nd liners right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the doctor View Post
These two sentences are in conflict. What do you mean by "pushing for the playoffs"? In my mind, focusing on youth and pushing for the playoffs are the same thing.
By pushing for the playoffs I mean over playing the vets, acquiring help now, doing whatever it takes to win.

By focusing on youth I mean giving more ice time to the youth and using the depth from within even if it means a lesser team.

Not sure how you consider those the same.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:04 PM
the doctor

Quote:
By pushing for the playoffs I mean over playing the vets, acquiring help now, doing whatever it takes to win
Where did anyone suggest that they go out and overpay vets? You're making things up and creating strawman arguments. Your contention was that "this team sucks". People disagreed, now you're off on a tangent.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Tell that to Montreal.

Gil Gunderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by the doctor View Post
Where did anyone suggest that they go out and overpay vets? You're making things up and creating strawman arguments. Your contention was that "this team sucks". People disagreed, now you're off on a tangent.
You misread my post.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:21 PM
trobby

We're a AHL team with a few aging Vets, and a hottest goalie in the league.

Could we make the playoff? Sure (probably not)
Can the addition of Spezza add more scoring punch if we get to the dance? Yes.
Can we go all the way without the most dynamic player since Bobby Orr? No freakin' way.

The OP is just being realistic (he never mentioned 'tanking'. Aside from the Detroit Red Wings, most teams that finished in the middle of the pack for many years, usually didn't draft well, in turn never improved their team to the point of making them Stanley Cup contenders.

If we don't make the playoffs, I want the best pick possible.
The NHL has 1 winner, and 29 losers. If we lose this year, I really want to lose.

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Step
GO SENS GO

vCash: 50
Mods keep removing my posts in reply to Benny FTW so I'll try and be a little bit more positive. I don't believe this team sucks and I respectfully request we keep the tank posts to a minimum. It does no good and it's completely negative.

Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:32 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
The Sens may well finish well out of the playoffs , but it sounds like the coach is not in the mood to tank:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/02/15/...ead-to-toronto

MacLean was defiant when asked what his message is to a deflated fan base troubled by the loss of Karlsson.

"Come and watch us," said MacLean. "We're excited about the opportunity. We've got 34 opportunities to play and we're still going to come and play. We're going to play those and see where we are at the end."

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:43 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Obviously the coach is going to continue to motivate his team to get the best results every game. It's his job.

That doesn't change the fact that this team just isn't good. Andy's been standing on his head and even with EK and the small contribution of Spezza, we're still only 7-5-2.

Sure you can try to be optimistic all you want, but we're trending downwards.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:57 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKarlsson View Post
A top 3 pick would be a great start to becoming a contender.

As well, from what I've seen in the past, teams that drop for top picks usually become Stanley cup champions after bottoming out. Ie Chicago and Pittsburg. I am not saying lose to win but gaining top players and add them to our core will do us some good.
None of these teams turned it around in a single season. In the OP, you're saying we'd be contenders next year. I disagree with that. With that said, I don't disagree that a top-3 talent would add a blue chip guy who could turn into a legitimate first line threat.

Consider when a lot of those teams drafted their blue chip talent, and then when they won the Cup/became contenders.
Chicago got Toews in 2006, Kane in 2007. Cup win? 2010.

Pittsburgh? Added Fleury-Malkin-Crosby-Staal over the course of four drafts, then it still took them another two years to win the Cup.

Look at Edmonton now. Eberle, MPS, Hall, RNH, Yakupov drafted in five successive years. How many people think they're a contender now?

Point is, turning a team into a contender doesn't just happen at the draft table. It can take up to half a decade from your first great pick to become a contending team. Obviously you can make the argument that several of our prospects have been developing for close to half a decade now (considering the 08 draft as the 'start' of our rebuild), but those guys are mostly just breaking into the NHL, and outside Karlsson (and potentially Cowen) are depth players or complementary guys. It may be a few years before they're playing their best hockey. More recent draft picks aren't likely to make an impact in the NHL for another couple years (beyond the likes of perhaps Zibby).

02-15-2013, 10:25 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
Anderson will prevent us from a top pick, but top 10 I don't think is without reach.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:34 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Without Karlsson controlling the game for 30+ minutes a night, I am so scared to see the defense at work. Methot, Lundin and Gonch I can trust defensively but even then they are just average. Phillips, Benoit and Wiercioch with extended duties might scare me to death. Heck, Gonch might even.

On offense we have 1 legit top 6 forward and even he is trying to ease into games so he can still possibly have enough energy next year(Alfredsson) and 1 top 6 center. Da Costa can legit be the difference maker if he continues his brilliant play. He will boost this team's PP and scoring. I have no doubt our bottom 6 will continue to cause havoc. It's the top 6 i'm worried about.

These next 10 games will distinguish the Sens fate, imho.

It'd be interesting to see if Murray would still bring in O'Rielly.

I also agree with backdoorpass. If we are failing, I see Murray moving rental+ solid prospect for young budding player with proven talent.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:19 PM
Orr123

We will likely bottom out this season. But if we are winning -- I"m not going to be upset with it. If we make the playoffs -- I would be pretty freaking excited with the crap and adversity this team has faced this year already.

So whatever happens, happens. I'd rather not "tank" though -- I'd like some fight from players because it will build character! (So win or lose -- I want some fight from the young kids)

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:22 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Remember that Spezza coming back for last month. If we manage to stay .500 and get Spezza back with Anderson on fire anything can happen.

Although a lot of people will see this team struggle immensely no matter who's on the ice with Karlsson gone.

When Karlsson was on the ice, you knew you would have possession of the puck at least 80% of the time. With him gone it's gonna be harder to maintain possession and most important breakout from our own-zone which would tire our d and forwards etc...

Old
02-15-2013, 11:22 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
I'm simply amazed at the optimism of some people. Even IF they sneak into the playoffs (like 1% chance), they will be out quickly. This team wasn't a Stanley Cup contender WITH Karlsson and Spezza...

I know the players will never quit (and they shouldn't), but I wouldn't mind a top 3 pick this year.

Either way, I think I will be happy (maybe a little upset with a 9th placed finish), but if they can do that, we will learn a lot about this team's character.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:24 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
I'm simply amazed at the optimism of some people. Even IF they sneak into the playoffs (like 1% chance), they will be out quickly. This team wasn't a Stanley Cup contender WITH Karlsson and Spezza...

I know the players will never quit, but I wouldn't mind a top 3 pick this year.
With Karlsson and Spezza we are easily a playoff team and even one of the best in the East imo.

1C, 1D and 1G all playing at top 5 of their respective position would make any team at the top of the standings.

We also had the depth, we were 1 top 4 defender via trade away from going into a deep playoff run, imo. I wasn't the only one to share this view.

However I do agree a guy like Drouin, Mackinnon, Jones, Lindholm, Mohahan would be unfreakinbelieveable with the core we already have.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:47 PM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Yes, adding a franchise player to a team that already has 2 or 3 franchise players would be amazing. That said you never play to lose...as a great coach once said: You play to win the game.

That's the great thing about sports.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote