HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Well... We are officially the team to beat in the East!!

Old
07-10-2006, 10:44 AM
SOLR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cup2006sensrule View Post
The thing is if the Sens have a terrible flat out bottom of their potential season with injuries and so on I still think they get 95+ points with the number of 3 point games. I see that as the maximum the Habs can achieve with every possible godd thing going for them. I think the Habs struggle to make the playoffs and their top possible regular season finin9sh is 4th or 5th in the East.

The playoffs are another story but still thinking the Habs are the beast of the east is impossibly optimistic. They aren't even close to that. The Sens forwards and defence lap the Habs. The only way the Habs can dominate in the playoffs (and they won't in reg season play) is if Huet becomes a Patrick Roy clone. He could help the Habs in the postseason to some upsets but the Habd regular season team is full of holes and theyb need the entire team to play at peak potential just to make the playoffs.
I think you are living in the past my friend. The day Muckler was nominated at that GM spot I knew it was the decline of the sens.

You really think last year was peak potential?

The sens have been one of my favorite team for a long time, until Muckler came...

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:46 AM
tinyzombies

We're not "the team to beat," but I'm surprised how underrated we are in this thread. Remember, Guy Carbonneau is now the coach, so we should be able to play both up-tempo AND high-percentage hockey now when we need to. I think we're middle of the pack and might sneak out a division win depending what happens elsewhere.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:50 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
You never cease to amaze me. Just when I think you've gone beyond ridiculous you still manage to make me shake my head.

The Habs will be struggling for a playoff spot. Grabs and Kost might not even make the team.

There is absolutely no way the Habs are the team to beat.

Solid team for sure, but still around that 6-10 spot in the East. Just have to play consistent and work hard every shift, every night.
You underrate our rookies like you and several always used to do.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:52 AM
SOLR

I just find it widdly amusing because every summer its the same thing. Last year we were predicted last or something? We finished 7th and very close to 6th-5th, but also very close to 8th and 9th and 10th.

These days teams are so close, its very anyone guess where were gonna finish, the same is true for the sens, rangers etc.

Old
07-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Bubba Thudd
Infer-Action!!!

vCash: 7757
"OFFICIALLY" the team to beat in the East???

Link, please.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 10:54 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
"OFFICIALLY" the team to beat in the East???

Link, please.
here:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=269355&page=3

Old
07-10-2006, 11:57 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
The only team I could see on pair with us are the NY Rangers...

Ottawa just lost their most underrated foward, Havlat was Ottawa's second line..

Bruins arent improved enough..

Habs are gonna be as solid as last year defensively, the big difference will be up front where you will find a much more skilled and offensively dangerous team...

3 names: Perezhogin Kostitsyn, Grabovski.
?
We'll barely make the playoffs, just like last year.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
?
But hey, at least you're predicting we'll get in.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Beyond 1 player how are the rangers better than the Habs? The certainly dont have depth
You're no logician, I see. The Rangers added Shanahan, Aaron Ward, and others on top of a team that finished ahead of the Habs last year, while the Habs added no one. Ergo, the Rangers are better than last season, the Habs approximately the same (maybe a trifle weaker for having lost Bulis's 20 goals). Therefore, the Rangers appear to have widened the gap. QED.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Slick Nick

If Huet plays 1/2 as well as he did last year, the Habs are definitly going to be among the 5 best teams in the east.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
?
Yeah pretty much, a young team will always be streaky so at times we'll look like the best team in the league (first 20 games of last year) and the worst (3 wins in like 3 months or something as horrible). The key is to be looking like the best team in the post-season.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin_goon View Post
NyQuil beat me to it..

Just because you replace a guy with the same number of points, doesnt mean at all they'll have the same impact. Chara's strenght wasnt scoring goals you know...

And let's face it...Pothier versus Corvo..hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I dont know what to expect from Gerber this year, so i think it's simply safe to just sit back and watch. Could be good, could be bad.

Buffalo may be just as good (or better) then last year, but it's the year after that that will probably make them suck again.

Florida i see as being much more competitive then they were in the previous years.

Bert may relaunch his career, Horton and ogre face will probably lead the team in offense.

Washington will probably still suck. We'll see if this "sophomore curse" has any effect on the big A

Boston....i dunno...the only guy on that team that constantly worries me is Bergeron. He's a beast. Other then that...

NJ have always been able to compete and will do so again this year.

I think summer time there's just too much down time for people to think too much. Go to the pool guys...trust me, you dont go there to swim...

Silly boy! If Chara was a big loss to the Bruins, he must by definition amount to a big gain for the Bruins (who also added Savard to give them a legitimate #2 center).

Old
07-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
Montreal is one of many team where a definitive idea of where they will fiinish is quite difficult. There is ample speed up front and potential from a rookie or two, to make this an explosive team. If Huet can prove he is the real deal, then heck, finishing in the top 3 in the conference is not that crazy, particularly with Ottawa dropping back a bit (although they still represent a very dangerous team).

On the flip side, the inability of a rookie to break in, a fall in the play in Huet and all of a sudden Montreal is out of the playoffs.

Both scenarios are reasonably possible.

The Northeast is going to be VERY interesting IMO. There should be much more parity with all the teams having the chance to be relatively close together. Should be a great year of hockey!

Bulis's speed is gone. Kostitsyn (and certainly Latendresse) are not as fast.

Old
07-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
You're no logician, I see. The Rangers added Shanahan, Aaron Ward, and others on top of a team that finished ahead of the Habs last year, while the Habs added no one. Ergo, the Rangers are better than last season, the Habs approximately the same (maybe a trifle weaker for having lost Bulis's 20 goals). Therefore, the Rangers appear to have widened the gap. QED.
So it's assumed that NONE of our players will improve?

Old
07-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
You're implying that the improvement in the Habs will be greater than that of their rivals even though they had recent very high draft picks.

Let's turn your rhetorical question around: So it's assumed that NONE of the young players on other teams will improve in parallel?

Old
07-10-2006, 12:43 PM
jpchabby
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
that's also what I understand with that post...

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 12:49 PM
The n00b King ©*

Quote:
Silly boy! If Chara was a big loss to the Bruins, he must by definition amount to a big gain for the Bruins (who also added Savard to give them a legitimate #2 center).
im sure you meant a loss to ottawa and not boston

well see, Boston's D corps is better this year. But offensively, not really. i mean they have like one line...

we'll see what Savard can do with players of lesser caliber then in Atlanta.

We'll get to see him 8 times a year and all. Will we be able to beat them 7 times again?

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

This thread remind me the "We will battle with the Sens for the #1 spot in the East" thread of last year.Pretty much the same arguments are used from both side of the fence.

All i'm going to say is : Optimistic but unrealistic

Bronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Taupy

Quote:
What's the use of having great speed when you don't have the guts to take the puck in the corner?

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 12:54 PM
SOLR

Quote:
What? Kost>Bulis in speed. But more importantly he can hold the puck when he skates!

Old
07-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
You're implying that the improvement in the Habs will be greater than that of their rivals even though they had recent very high draft picks.

Let's turn your rhetorical question around: So it's assumed that NONE of the young players on other teams will improve in parallel?
I understand the point you are making and it's a valid one. I personally think that compared to other teams(in general), we have more younger players playing bigger roles. Clearly that is a slippery slope and is impossible to predict what will happen. I don't think this team is far off from what a Buffalo did last year. Alot of talented players just waiting to him it big. Could it happen this year? Maybe, but I'm not expecting the world. I think this team is chugging down the right path, probably not as fast as some would like, but moving in the right direction none the less.

I think our goaltending situation is in good shape. I will for the moment assume Huet will play close to what he did last year. Our defense, IMO, is much better then people give it credit for. Markov is on the fringe of becoming a legit #1 defensemen and Souary/Rivet are rough, mean and very tough to play against. Komisarek I believe will have his break out season. He showed amazing progress last year and really found his barrings as an NHL *** kicker.

Up front we need help, clearly. We need someone like Plekanec or Perezhogin to show up big time. I'm still of the thinking that Gainey will make a move and that move being getting Robert Lang. Lang would become a 1b center, if you will. I don't think it's totally out of the question that this team breaks out but it's also very possible that the team fizzles out and youth/inexperience show.

Old
07-10-2006, 01:14 PM
Mackee

Only on HF can three rookies immidiately crack our top six...

I don't see any reason why we finish above 7th at this point.

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
If Huet plays 1/2 as well as he did last year, the Habs are definitly going to be among the 5 best teams in the east.
Huet stole 15 (give or take) for Montreal last year.. and I mean stole..

By your theory, if we take away somewhere between 10-20 points off our final standings we'll still finish 5th?

Pretty amazing indeed.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 06:48 PM
kernkraft

Quote:

Maybe, but MTL was the team with the most rookies last year (Plek, Higgs, Perez, Streit), and it might be the same thing again this year (Kost, Grab, Lats). Not many teams can say the same thing.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 07:01 PM
castlesave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
In that case, we're doomed..... Actually, we play them tough and Teppo is another year older. Gonna be some good battles with Buffalo. His injury kind of exposed them a bit I think. They were clearly not the same team without him. He better stay healthy. I can see teams going after him to neutralize Buffalo's counter-attack.
They were 1 period away from getting to the finals with 4 of there 6 starting d-men out injured!!! Teppo being injured did not "expose them"..... Tallinder, Mckee, and Kalinin are more important to the defence than Teppo is. They will be fine next year and Spacek may actually be an upgrade over Mckee. Know what the heck you are talking about before you post garbage like that!!

castlesave* is offline   Reply With Quote