HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Jets - Adams >>> Tangradi

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 08:55 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by pens17fan View Post
+++++MAF
++++Martin
+++Vitale & Adams
++Beau
+Niskanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatch88 View Post
+Defense
+Malkin and Crosby somehow both getting a point this game
+Beau showed flashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
Some different pluses and minuses because others have said what I wanted to.

- Niskanen had a bad game.

- TK wasn't good either, again. Get Jeffrey in the lineup over him.

+ Martin was great.

+ Letang was great outside of a couple brainfarts.

+ We were outplayed but still got the win. It feels good to get one of those once in a while, feels like it's usually the other way around. 7-2 on the road, or is it 8 now?
I see 2 people who liked our defense and 1 like Nisky... I think Nisky was very hesitant tonight. He made some great plays that go unnoticed (how he saves Letang w/ that switch and allows #58 to be #58). But.. he wasn't that good, either. A pretty "meh" game.

And I thought our defense looked bad. Turnovers and not enough grit. We needed Bort in tonight.

Old
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatch88 View Post
+Malkin and Crosby somehow both getting a point this game
They both got assists on the Neal PP goal.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Also James Neal is gonna win the Rocket Richard. He's that good and our PP spends the whole time just trying to set him up. Stamkos is the only one who might take it away from him.
James Neal should be in the right circle, and I like Malkin at the right point setting him up. With Malkin there, you've got to respect his shot. It gives that extra bit of space to go to Neal for the one-timer.

I'm sure we'll never see this again. Right circle belongs to Sid. Geno's place is on the left point. Neal's place is . . . well, he's lucky if he even sees a place on the top unit half the time now that the blistering shots of Martin and Letang man the points.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
It's easy to say that after he had a great game but after he looked very old against the Devils in the second game it was a different story. Either way if some one needs to come out of the line up it should not be Vitale. Guy is the perfect 4th liner.
Crosby and Malkin looked like 40 year olds in both of those Devils games so I dunno if that's the best game to judge a guy on. I'm not just basing it on this game I really do think Adams has been great all year. Him, Vitale, and Glass are three peas in a pod. You can really see the chemistry out there because they all think alike. It's a perfect fourth line.

Old
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I see 2 people who liked our defense and 1 like Nisky... I think Nisky was very hesitant tonight. He made some great plays that go unnoticed (how he saves Letang w/ that switch and allows #58 to be #58). But.. he wasn't that good, either. A pretty "meh" game.

And I thought our defense looked bad. Turnovers and not enough grit. We needed Bort in tonight.
I also thought the D - including 58 who lost a foot race with TANGRADI - looked slow. I've never seen em look so slow.

Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
I'll go nuts if I spend time on this today, so just this:

+ MAF was awesome. Nothing short of awesome and the only reason we win this.
+ Vitale is always awesome.
+ Adams has to be mentioned when he gets two goals . Strong effort in general.
+ Neal's shot. What would we do without it?
+ That interference call late in the third. BS penalty, but who knows if we win without it. Would have been livid if it had been the other way around.

I have nothing further. Absolutely hated our game tonight other than the first 15 minutes or so.
I agree about that last part. In the first 15 minutes we did that new breakout where we support the neutral and utilize 4-6foot chips/passes. Then.... umm... it disappeared and we just watched the play for 40 minutes. We did not support anyone. It was pathetic.

Old
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Hopefully MAF gains some long term confidence from the great game he had tonight.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:57 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
stop with the sarcasmmmmmm

Part of this IS execution: some players are just floating out there (none of the big guys imo).

Also, the team as a whole loses every ****ing puck battle, is always out numbered, and no support.
O'k, just downed a jug of kool-aid. I'm better now.

EDIT: Is it me, or does Neal seem pretty ******* bad on the boards lately?

Old
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
James Neal should be in the right circle, and I like Malkin at the right point setting him up. With Malkin there, you've got to respect his shot. It gives that extra bit of space to go to Neal for the one-timer.

I'm sure we'll never see this again. Right circle belongs to Sid. Geno's place is on the left point. Neal's place is . . . well, he's lucky if he even sees a place on the top unit half the time now that the blistering shots of Martin and Letang man the points.
Sid hasn't been at the right circle for a couple of games. I mean, he's occasionally there, but he's been moving a lot between the left circle and below the goal line. Not sure he's even had a shot on the power play in a few games.

Old
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

I'm probably of the minority but I am comfortable with the idea of having bort replace Niskanen, if we trade him for a nice RW for Sid (eg. Mr Setoguchi).

Niskanen + Kennedy

for

Bouchard (UFA this upcoming summer) + Setoguchi

Old
chethejet

A win is a win so that is all that counts. Knowing the Jets were going to come hard, I question not dressing Bortuzzo but he may need a game off. Defense was not very crisp tonight and they got handled down low. I have no idea what this north south game is. the breakouts and passing is rarely at top speed.

Old
lornloxor
Bylsmaed

+4th line, Vitale should never sit again.
+Fleury, we would've most likely lost this one if it weren't for him.
+Bennett, solid showing in his first game, needs more top-6 ice time
+Adams, two goals, a fight and draws a penalty. Rocket trophy here we come:

-Kennedy, just sit him for Jeffrey or whoever
-Felt like we were losing too many puck battles

Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Neal's release is up there w/ Hossa and Stamkos on how fast they release it. It's something I can only say about 5-10 players in the NHL. I don't know where we'd be without it.

You cannot teach it.

Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Interestingly, first 15 minutes, we went with a modified stretch pass to the middle of the ice, with a chip to either side (both forwards coming with speed).

Winnipeg adjusted, and the Pens just kept doing it again and again and again.

Clearly, it was an execution problem.
The Jets didn't adjust, but the Penguins just stopped doing it.

When the Jets lined up, one or two forwards would curl back for a breakout. Then it just...stopped.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:58 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornloxor View Post
+Fleury, we would've most likely lost this one if it weren't for him.
Easily could have been a 5-2 loss again.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I agree about that last part. In the first 15 minutes we did that new breakout where we support the neutral and utilize 4-6foot chips/passes. Then.... umm... it disappeared and we just watched the play for 40 minutes. We did not support anyone. It was pathetic.
Did it disappear, or did the Jets adjust to take it away and there was no answer to that from the Pens coaching staff? Seemed to me that the Jets were surprised by the new breakout (cheating to the stretch pass to the wingers) but regrouped after the first.

Old
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I'm probably of the minority but I am comfortable with the idea of having bort replace Niskanen, if we trade him for a nice RW for Sid (eg. Mr Setoguchi).

Niskanen + Kennedy

for

Bouchard (UFA this upcoming summer) + Setoguchi
I'm comfortable trading Niskanen, but I think he has more value than that, unless you're saying Kennedy has a lot of negative value.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 648
Adam's first two goal game since doing it against the Thrashers, Oct. 13, 2006.

Old
Al Smith

+MAF
+Adams - 2 goals and drawing the penalty in the third (call was kinda weak, but whatever). This should get him a five-year extension tomorrow.
+ Malkin - didn't show up on scoresheet but was man among boys
+ gritty road win without playing particularly well
+ got CBC feed and didn't get to hear 20 references from Staggy about how long Toby Enstrom's stick is, even if he only played a few minutes.

- pairing of Engo/Despres was really shaky
- Letang's icing that led to the faceoff that led to the goal

= Wouldn't give BB a minus for his first game. He showed some flashes of skill, but at this level, his skating might be a problem.

Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:

The first PP, the Malkin line had just been on and that's why Neal didn't start on it. Problem was, they maintained posession for the longest time and Neal didn't get a chance to get on.

BREEEEEEEATHY BUDDY!!!

Old
02-15-2013, 09:00 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
The Jets didn't adjust, but the Penguins just stopped doing it.

When the Jets lined up, one or two forwards would curl back for a breakout. Then it just...stopped.
Looked like the Jets started cheating to take it away early in the second and, when it didn't work, THEN it stopped.

Either way, is there a one breakout per game rule that applies to the Pens hidden in the new CBA?

Old
02-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Burgs

Ugly game and a lucky win thanks to Fleury who still can't get a shutout to save his life - not his fault today though. The Jets lost Enström early but kept on coming until they were done in by a weak call on Redmond plus bad luck when Stuart's stick got caught in Letang.

+ Bennett faded as the game went on but overall a nice debut
+ 4th line looked like it was multi-ball time at a pinball machine
+ extra Plus für Adams - 2 goals and a fight to avenge Niskanen
+ Orpik's 600th career game mirrored his style: tough and low-scoring
- Geno seemed like he was sleepwalking today, again
- refs had no grip on the game, missed lots of slashes and borderline hits, they were lucky the game was always close enough not to get violently derailed

Old
02-15-2013, 09:01 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I'm comfortable trading Niskanen, but I think he has more value than that, unless you're saying Kennedy has a lot of negative value.
I liked my idea from last night of Niskanen and TK for Seto and Clutterbuck.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:02 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Ugly game and a lucky win thanks to Fleury who still can't get a shutout to save his life - not his fault today though. The Jets lost Enström early but kept on coming until they were done in by a weak call on Redmond plus bad luck when Stuart's stick got caught in Letang.
I was really impressed with the Jets D. They didn't play like they were down a man. Played hard, fast, and aggressive the entire game.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:02 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Smith View Post
+MAF
+Adams - 2 goals and drawing the penalty in the third (call was kinda weak, but whatever). This should get him a five-year extension tomorrow.
+ Malkin - didn't show up on scoresheet but was man among boys
+ gritty road win without playing particularly well
+ got CBC feed and didn't get to hear 20 references from Staggy about how long Toby Enstrom's stick is, even if he only played a few minutes.

- pairing of Engo/Despres was really shaky
- Letang's icing that led to the faceoff that led to the goal

= Wouldn't give BB a minus for his first game. He showed some flashes of skill, but at this level, his skating might be a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post

+ Bennett faded as the game went on but overall a nice debut
+ 4th line looked like it was multi-ball time at a pinball machine
+ extra Plus für Adams - 2 goals and a fight to avenge Niskanen
+ Orpik's 600th career game mirrored his style: tough and low-scoring
- Geno seemed like he was sleepwalking today, again
- refs had no grip on the game, missed lots of slashes and borderline hits, they were lucky the game was always close enough not to get violently derailed
Hmm . . . are Malkin and Geno different players?

Closed Thread