HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 3/11) *Part II*

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

vCash: 500
Hags still has an advantage, he went to college here (Michigan) so he was already acclimated to the culture. These 2 guys will be moving to a foreign country to them, different culture, they would need some adjustment period.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Everyone makes it sound like he has more skill than Hags though.

Hags has some advantages and Fasth has some advantages, but I think we are talking about comparable players, just depends on how they develop.

Look, if we get one speedy two-way left wing who scores 50 points and one speedy two-way right wing who scores 50 points, I am beyond ecstatic.

This would be particularly beautiful if either Kreider or Miller developed into one more quality second line LW and either Thomas or St. Croix developed into one more quality second line RW. The team would have depth coming out of its ears if it worked out this way.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:38 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Hags has some advantages and Fasth has some advantages, but I think we are talking about comparable players, just depends on how they develop.

Look, if we get one speedy two-way left wing who scores 50 points and one speedy two-way right wing who scores 50 points, I am beyond ecstatic.

This would be particularly beautiful if either Kreider or Miller developed into one more quality second line LW and either Thomas or St. Croix developed into one more quality second line RW. The team would have depth coming out of its ears if it worked out this way.
I thought MSC projects to be a center. I don't watch the oil kings games, so I cannot tell first hand.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:49 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I was sure he had changed his name to Fast. Maybe that was an April Fool's day joke.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
I was sure he had changed his name to Fast. Maybe that was an April Fool's day joke.
No, the name register has always had him as "Fast", but they have always used the name Fasth. But since his passport said Fast, this summer in rookie camp some intern, probably, put "Fast" in the system and it stuck for a while.

He uses Fasth, always has.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Another Hagelin? Oh man! I can't wait until Fast comes to NA

Old
02-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Hags still has an advantage, he went to college here (Michigan) so he was already acclimated to the culture. These 2 guys will be moving to a foreign country to them, different culture, they would need some adjustment period.
Well, at least they'll have each other, along with Hagelin, Lundqvist and maybe Stralman

Old
02-15-2013, 09:21 PM
ecemleafs

Fogarty had a gorgeous goal for ND in a losing effort tonight.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:23 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
Fogarty had a gorgeous goal for ND in a losing effort tonight.
How is he doing offensively? From everything I read, he seems to be a checking center for ND.

Yt would be nice too.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:06 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
I thought MSC projects to be a center. I don't watch the oil kings games, so I cannot tell first hand.

He is a center now, but he might be better suited as a RW in the pros.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:08 PM
TheRightWay

vCash: 505
Quote:
He is a center now, but he might be better suited as a RW in the pros.
We'll see. There's no doubt that, defensively, he is nowhere near NHL quality. Offensively, though, he is perfect for the center position. He's got that Stepan/Richards/Briere quality of slowing down the game in the offensive zone and setting up the play. The Rangers have done an incredible job in developing the two-way games of centers so we'll see what happens with St. Croix.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:02 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:

Um no. Hags is the better skater. The better hustler. Maybe a bit better defensively. But Fast has the much higher upside, can dangle like a real Swede and has a much better hockey sense. He effortlessly gets many scoring chances per game due to this hockey sense, while Hagelin has to work like a maniac to get them. He is a real "finisher" too, buy that still needs to work considerably on improving his softish shot - something everybody says and he knows about. He is going to be slightly bigger than Hags too, but that has no real importance here. Fast has genuine 2nd line NHL talent with a consistent higher PPG production roof than Hagelin. By far. And I really like Hags and what he provides. But they are not comparable in any way on the ice other than carrying the same passport IMO. But maybe that is what you were trying to say and I just got it wrong ??

Old
02-16-2013, 02:31 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

They are similar because they are 1) of similar size; 2) fast and good skaters; 3) quick; 4) hard-working. Fasth has more offense, Hags has better defense and more hustle, but I think Hagelin's offense is underrated as is Fasth's defense.

Plus, the Tre Kronor is the most important quality a player can have. Lundqvist clearly proved that.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:16 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Um no. Hags is the better skater. The better hustler. Maybe a bit better defensively. But Fast has the much higher upside, can dangle like a real Swede and has a much better hockey sense. He effortlessly gets many scoring chances per game due to this hockey sense, while Hagelin has to work like a maniac to get them. He is a real "finisher" too, buy that still needs to work considerably on improving his softish shot - something everybody says and he knows about. He is going to be slightly bigger than Hags too, but that has no real importance here. Fast has genuine 2nd line NHL talent with a consistent higher PPG production roof than Hagelin. By far. And I really like Hags and what he provides. But they are not comparable in any way on the ice other than carrying the same passport IMO. But maybe that is what you were trying to say and I just got it wrong ??
So if he has a softish shot how is he a real finisher? Or at least how was would he be a real finisher at the NHL level?

Old
02-16-2013, 07:38 AM
BBKers

Quote:
So if he has a softish shot how is he a real finisher? Or at least how was would he be a real finisher at the NHL level?
He scores a lot of goals by speed and positioning in the SEL. Needs a better shot for the NHL IMO... Finisher is perhaps not the right word

Old
02-16-2013, 07:50 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
He scores a lot of goals by speed and positioning in the SEL. Needs a better shot for the NHL IMO... Finisher is perhaps not the right word
Is that something that can be improved? I don't think you'll score a lot of goals with a mediocre shot. There are some guys with excellent shots that don't score a lot of goals.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:13 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Fogarty goal was real sweet, go to 2:05

02-16-2013, 09:50 AM
BBKers

Quote:
Is that something that can be improved? I don't think you'll score a lot of goals with a mediocre shot. There are some guys with excellent shots that don't score a lot of goals.
Swedish tabloid Expressen ran a bit about this the other day. Hedberg is not the sharpest knife in the drawer if you ask me, was a great player but...

Here is the article http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...-av-nhl-scout/ - pretty poorly written too.

My "translation" follows below:

Quote:
HV's national team forward gets some criticism from NHL scout

HV 71's national team forwards Jesper Fasth is tied for fourth place in the league (SEL) in goalscoring this season.

But New York Rangers scout Anders Hedberg wants him to become even better at shooting.

- It´s pretty damn doubtful that he's ever going to have Brett Hull or Steven Stamkos shot. It is rather unlikely, says Hedberg to SportExpressen.se.

21-year-old Jesper Fasth has been lent out by the NHL club New York Rangers to HV 71 this season

Ahead of tonight's away meeting with AIK, he has scored 17 goals and is tied for 4th place in the league with that..

- What is interesting is that he continues to develop as a player, says NY Rangers scout Anders Hedberg.

The HV and Three Crowns (Tre Kronor = Swedish National team) Jesper Fasth constantly puts on a good impression with his amazing hard work.

- He is a great skater. That is his best tool. Another important ingredient is that he has "the compass" (great sense of direction) upstairs. He knows what he wants and where he's going. Everyone I talk to says that he works as hard as a galley slave, says Anders Hedberg.

In order to succeed in the NHL this coming fall, Hedberg wants to see that Jesper Fasths shooting skills are improved.

- He must learn to shoot faster and be more precise, says Hedberg.

Jesper Fasth says he is aware of that flawed detail in his game.

- I have been told this throughout my entire career ... but I try to work on it almost every day, says Fasth to SportExpressen.se.

Anders Hedberg does not want to put additional pressure on Jesper Fasth, but says:

- If he's ever going to have Brett Hull or Steven Stamkos shot is pretty damn doubtful. Rather unlikely. It is one of the tools that he definitely can improve, but I know he is practicing at it.

Jesper Fasth seems otherwise to be quite happy with his season.

- I feel good that I have taken some pretty big strides this year. I think I have become more stable and a smoother overall player. I have been injured a lot before, so it's nice to be healthy, says Fasth.

Last season, he was also featured on the Three Crowns squad (National Team) and had a chance to break onto the Swedish World Cup team. But, as has been said, injuries destroyed much of the end of that season.

- "It was first my knee and then I broke my foot and then I came back to the playoffs. Then injured again. It feels good to have been healthy for most of this season. Well I have played almost 37 matches so far." To be precise, Jesper Fasth has accumulated 30 points (17 goals, 13 assists) in 38 games.

He's HV-71´s top scorer and he has set both personal goal and point scoring records in the top division this winter.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:00 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Swedish tabloid Expressen ran a bit about this the other day. Hedberg is not the sharpest knife in the drawer if you ask me, was a great player but...

Here is the article http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...-av-nhl-scout/ - pretty poorly written too.

My "translation" follows below:
Thanks. There are a lot of good offensive players that don't have the great shots. One off the top of my head is Datsyuk. Not saying Fasth is Datsyuk 2.0, just saying he doesn't have to have a Stamkos or Hull shot.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:55 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post
Fogarty goal was real sweet, go to 2:05

That was sweet. Thanks for posting. Reminded me of the Kreider Beanpot goal from 2 years ago.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:44 PM
FirstSwitch

Jesper Fasth made a really strong game and made 1 goal and was +1 in tonights win over Modo, he also made an great offensive hit which lead up to the GWG 4 - 3 for HV71.

Here´s a Fasth tribute (not included tonights game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wxXneRSAu8

Old
02-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstSwitch View Post
Jesper Fasth made a really strong game and made 1 goal and was +1 in tonights win over Modo, he also made an great offensive hit which lead up to the GWG 4 - 3 for HV71.

In a small YT video sample size, Fasth looks really great at getting in position to use his shot. I'm in love.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:27 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:

Thanks. It seems like most of his goals are around the net rather than snipes.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:04 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Hard to tell in that YT clip if Fogarty gets some puck luck there or if he actually played it around the Dman intentionally? Looks intentional, nasty dangle thats for sure. Showed some good speed/power there down the wing to the net.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:45 PM
PoddubnyRules

Quote:
Those are pretty big-league hands he has...

Closed Thread