HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Jets - Adams >>> Tangradi

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-15-2013, 10:16 PM
  #76
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Do you also like the movement on the PP?

EDIT: Just don't tell me you like the puck support on the PP . . . anything else, I can handle in my medicated state.
Yes and no. I like movement on the PP in general. However, when it comes to the Pens PP, there's something... aesthetically... unpleasing about it.

I watch a ton of hockey, and the Pens are the most "frantic" PP in the league. They never have controlled, comfortable movement. It always seems rushed, desperate. I also don't like the fancy ****.

There's good and bad. I really think part of the problem is these guys are kids who grew up in the NHL together and they are too friendly with each other and they always want to make the pretty pass to set their pal up.

IcedCapp is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:17 PM
  #77
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,266
vCash: 500
Boychuk or Jeffrey should be in for TK next game, and Engo should sit for Bort. Engo's really been off, and I'm tired of hearing from a lady friend about how hot he is.

MtlPenFan is online now  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:18 PM
  #78
specialized
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
Niskanen looked really soft, especially after he got shook up after that big hit.

Your not going to win every game with tons of goals, you call it sloppy win,I call it good defensive effort and thats what most playoffs games look like.

Note to Crosby line, stop rushing into the zone,pulling up and hitting the late guy across the ice, ITS NOT THERE.

Note to Kris Letang, STOP shooting the puck right into forwards shin pads 4ft in front of you.


And lastly, how many Jets fans are going to accuse Dupuis of intentionally hurting Enstom......lol

specialized is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:18 PM
  #79
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 30,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Congrats . It is an awesome city!
NB: center ice on your PC or better yet a slingbox solution.
What I thought . . . in all respect.

Stuck here a little over 5 months to oversee home sale and doggie import protocols (love those rabies free countries and the $8000 gift I'm going to get at the end of the process).

KIRK is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:18 PM
  #80
hctopcheds11
Registered User
 
hctopcheds11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,757
vCash: 500
Love the idea of Cutterbuck to play on the 3rd line. Don't love the Seto idea but I could live with it.

hctopcheds11 is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:20 PM
  #81
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 30,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinzerpenguiN View Post
Niskanen looked really soft, especially after he got shook up after that big hit.

Your not going to win every game with tons of goals, you call it sloppy win,I call it good defensive effort and thats what most playoffs games look like.

Note to Crosby line, stop rushing into the zone,pulling up and hitting the late guy across the ice, ITS NOT THERE.

Note to Kris Letang, STOP shooting the puck right into forwards shin pads 4ft in front of you.
For those of us who have been watching Matt Niskanen since the beginning of his career, this always has been the knock on him. You beat the **** out of him, and he starts playing like a guy who hears footsteps.

KIRK is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:20 PM
  #82
Pancakes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Oh, and Despres is back to 10 minutes a night.

Curiously, Bennett got 5:44 in the first tonight. That was promptly rectified when he looked good but made a mistake . . .

Must resist urge to be critical of bench management . . . must take more meds NOW.
Eh, it was a one goal game for most of it. Don't have a problem with relying on our vets in a game that is that tight checking. If it's a less tight game I bet Bennett gets more ice.

Pancakes is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:20 PM
  #83
BlindWillyMcHurt
Registered User
 
BlindWillyMcHurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,542
vCash: 500
Heh... if a person were to just pop in here to get an idea of the game without watching it... they would be incredibly confused about how Malkin actually played. "He was great this game... just not much to show for it." "He was freaking terrible! What the hell is he doing out there?!?"

It makes me truly wonder about some of you.

BlindWillyMcHurt is online now  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:21 PM
  #84
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 30,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Boychuk or Jeffrey should be in for TK next game, and Engo should sit for Bort. Engo's really been off, and I'm tired of hearing from a lady friend about how hot he is.
I'm not sure what's more ****** up . . . that TK and Engo both will play next game or your lady friend's eyesight.

BTW, aside from when he was partnered with Borts (aside from their first and last games together), Engo has blown chunks all year.

KIRK is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:22 PM
  #85
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 30,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Heh... if a person were to just pop in here to get an idea of the game without watching it... they would be incredibly confused about how Malkin actually played. "He was great this game... just not much to show for it." "He was freaking terrible! What the hell is he doing out there?!?"

It makes me truly wonder about some of you.
Which ones?

KIRK is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:23 PM
  #86
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 30,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Eh, it was a one goal game for most of it. Don't have a problem with relying on our vets in a game that is that tight checking. If it's a less tight game I bet Bennett gets more ice.
Agree, until you see which vets were the ones getting that extra ice time . . . cough, Kennedy, cough.

KIRK is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:25 PM
  #87
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,341
vCash: 500
- A bad win. Beat to pucks, the Jets had the puck most of the night and I don't even want to know how many times the Pens put themselves offsides.

- Letang is playing like a center with his head cut off. He follows the puck like a dog playing fetch and its killing me to see him keep making the same mistakes over and over again. He's always the 2nd defensemen in the same corner as his partner, behind the net and on the same side of the ice. I know he's just coming back from injury but this has been an ongoing problem.

- Despres had a tough 1st but then rounded out.

- Pucks needed to be dumped in on OP and not just rung around the boards. He's pretty sloppy when he comes out of the net.

+ BB looked pretty good. Had some poise with the puck, went down to block a shot and got himself open for plays. He was involved and thats what I want to see a kid do in his first game.

+ Adams... For all the garbage he gets on here the guy will go through a wall to help this team win and always gives 120%. Happy to see him get some rewards for all the grunt work he does.

+ The Pens spent a lot of time in their own zone but I thought they played pretty well around MAF tonight. He could focus on the puck and not worry about going side to side or who was behind him.

+ Malkin looks like he's finding his game. It was nice to see him hold on to the puck a little bit instead of overpassing all night.

#66 is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:25 PM
  #88
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Agree, until you see which vets were the ones getting that extra ice time . . . cough, Kennedy, cough.
I was going to correct you, because I swear Kennedy was demoted to the 4th line. But it seems like that was a promotion, because he played almost 14 minutes tonight. What a ****ing joke.

IcedCapp is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:26 PM
  #89
BlindWillyMcHurt
Registered User
 
BlindWillyMcHurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,542
vCash: 500
Truthfully, KIRK, I wonder about all of you.

When I feel like the voice of reason, some nights... you know there is some force-injected drama and needless hand-wringing flying around.

But I do agree that this team has the same holes it's had for years. That's nearly impossible to deny. I guess we'll just have to hope they get hot at the right time. Or something.

I thought this game was pretty ugly. Yeah... you are overjoyed when they get a win like this in the playoffs. Because it's the playoffs and, well... they are one win closer. Watching a game like that in the regular season isn't my idea of a good time. Slop... slop... slop. I'd have hoped they'd have much more cohesion and, well... more of a tangible plan than that, at this point.

Like I said... glad they got the win. Glad no one was injured. Glad the fourth line and Fleury played great games. Not much more to take away other than that.

BlindWillyMcHurt is online now  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:27 PM
  #90
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I'm not sure what's more ****** up . . . that TK and Engo both will play next game or your lady friend's eyesight.

BTW, aside from when he was partnered with Borts (aside from their first and last games together), Engo has blown chunks all year.
That's why I don't get the love affair of having him and Bort on the ice together. It's not like Engo insulates him.

He's just been fighting the puck in a big way on the most routine of plays.

MtlPenFan is online now  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:27 PM
  #91
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 30,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Yes and no. I like movement on the PP in general. However, when it comes to the Pens PP, there's something... aesthetically... unpleasing about it.

I watch a ton of hockey, and the Pens are the most "frantic" PP in the league. They never have controlled, comfortable movement. It always seems rushed, desperate. I also don't like the fancy ****.

There's good and bad. I really think part of the problem is these guys are kids who grew up in the NHL together and they are too friendly with each other and they always want to make the pretty pass to set their pal up.
A few things always have confused me about the Pens PP (and it predates this regime):

One, it seems like, at any given moment, there is a rule that prohibits more than one player from moving at any given moment.

Two, it seems like there is a rule that also prohibits a Penguin from going to the net in anticipation of a shot and to proactively get to a rebound. There's definitely a rule prohibiting two Penguins from doing it at the same time.

You know, watching the Pens PP for the last five years has been about watching a game of checkers. A PP is supposed to be like chess . . . you should use pieces to attack in combination. Your goals, beyond just trying to score, should be to create isolated 2 on 1 situations in prime scoring areas, to always be attacking and moving, and to make the penalty killers really work. Then, even if you don't score, you've built momentum. I've never really felt like the Pens PP, even when it does score, does that.

EDIT: There should NEVER be a PP where Geno AND Sid are standing still, for example. I'm not talking about this asinine rover thing. I'm talking about following the puck in the offensive zone to provide puck support and create the isolated 2 on 1's that I referenced above. One of them ALWAYS should be doing that. Those guys should be attacking.

KIRK is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:28 PM
  #92
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 33,789
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinzerpenguiN View Post
Niskanen looked really soft, especially after he got shook up after that big hit.

Your not going to win every game with tons of goals, you call it sloppy win,I call it good defensive effort and thats what most playoffs games look like.

Note to Crosby line, stop rushing into the zone,pulling up and hitting the late guy across the ice, ITS NOT THERE.

Note to Kris Letang, STOP shooting the puck right into forwards shin pads 4ft in front of you.


And lastly, how many Jets fans are going to accuse Dupuis of intentionally hurting Enstom......lol
Jets fans are good hockey fans. They won't do it.

ColePens is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:29 PM
  #93
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 33,789
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Heh... if a person were to just pop in here to get an idea of the game without watching it... they would be incredibly confused about how Malkin actually played. "He was great this game... just not much to show for it." "He was freaking terrible! What the hell is he doing out there?!?"

It makes me truly wonder about some of you.
No..I think that was Geno's game. Some shifts looked great and some you were yanking your hair out. I think it's a realistic view on his game tonight.

ColePens is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:30 PM
  #94
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 30,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Truthfully, KIRK, I wonder about all of you.

When I feel like the voice of reason, some nights... you know there is some force-injected drama and needless hand-wringing flying around.

But I do agree that this team has the same holes it's had for years. That's nearly impossible to deny. I guess we'll just have to hope they get hot at the right time. Or something.

I thought this game was pretty ugly. Yeah... you are overjoyed when they get a win like this in the playoffs. Because it's the playoffs and, well... they are one win closer. Watching a game like that in the regular season isn't my idea of a good time. Slop... slop... slop. I'd have hoped they'd have much more cohesion and, well... more of a tangible plan than that, at this point.

Like I said... glad they got the win. Glad no one was injured. Glad the fourth line and Fleury played great games. Not much more to take away other than that.
I vote 'or something' . . .

Me, I thought Geno looked really strong at times and other times, I don't know if he was playing the same game.

Now, this Malkin guy that some others are griping about . . .

KIRK is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:32 PM
  #95
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 30,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
That's why I don't get the love affair of having him and Bort on the ice together. It's not like Engo insulates him.

He's just been fighting the puck in a big way on the most routine of plays.
Hey, you're preaching to the choir on Engo with me. Talk to your buddy behind the bench . . .

Must . . . resist . . . more medicine . . .

KIRK is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:33 PM
  #96
skerbud
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 181
vCash: 500
-kennedy and his ice time!!
The only explaination I have for this is that Shero wants to showcase him and the only way he can do that is increase his ice and hope that he gets ******* lucky.
But that didnt happen.. Increased ice time = glaring mistakes and lack of production.

skerbud is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:33 PM
  #97
ICdave
HFB Partner
 
ICdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,112
vCash: 500
Pens post-game audio



Pens - James Neal and coach Dan Bylsma

To listen click here.

ICdave is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:34 PM
  #98
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 30,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I was going to correct you, because I swear Kennedy was demoted to the 4th line. But it seems like that was a promotion, because he played almost 14 minutes tonight. What a ****ing joke.
I could've sworn the same. Then, I looked at the box score, and I swore at Bylsma.

KIRK is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:34 PM
  #99
roready
Brink, Truth, Life
 
roready's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: iligbpa
Posts: 479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabs926 View Post
I'm tired of seeing Malkin do fly-by's trying to intercept the pass against the flow of the play. It doesn't work and puts us a man down.
This is also why Martin and Letang NEED to play the point on the PP!

roready is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:36 PM
  #100
BlindWillyMcHurt
Registered User
 
BlindWillyMcHurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
No..I think that was Geno's game. Some shifts looked great and some you were yanking your hair out. I think it's a realistic view on his game tonight.
See... I just thought he was mediocre. And I thought Sid played like balls. Though I have exacting standards for both that are admittedly difficult to live up to game by game.

But then... I've also thought one or the other have played great but then come in here to poke around and the entire thread is a bash fest. It isn't a criticism, really... just an observation. Like they say... your mileage may vary.

I think we can all agree that having to watch Kennedy play for even one more shift is getting into "cruel and unusual" territory.

BlindWillyMcHurt is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.