Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helsingin Jokerit View Post
Jets' scout is tonight at the TPS-Jokerit game, propably because of Rasmus Ristolainen.
May be better time spent if he went to scout Barkov. If things continue as they are, I don't think RR will be drafted as high as the Jets draft this year. .

Old
02-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiho View Post
Apparently the NY Islanders offered Columbus all seven of their picks to move up two spots to draft Ryan Murray and Columbus turned them down.
I thought that was just a rumor on the Isles' draft day board? I think I'd take that trade if it was really offered.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:55 PM
Helsingin Jokerit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
May be better time spent if he went to scout Barkov. If things continue as they are, I don't think RR will be drafted as high as the Jets draft this year. .
Well, tonight he was at the Blues-Tappara game scouting Barkov along with 29 other scouts

Old
02-15-2013, 05:35 PM
mondo3

Currently we're tied with a bunch of other teams for 3rd pick in the draft. And Nathan happens to have fallen to 3rd...

Old
02-15-2013, 10:55 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
Currently we're tied with a bunch of other teams for 3rd pick in the draft. And Nathan happens to have fallen to 3rd...
MacKinnon may just be what this team needs. A high octane scoring center that will get the fans out of their seats.

Was at the game tonight, and the fans are simply dying to cheer for the Jets, but other than Bogo hitting a few guys and a 2 min flurry in the 2nd period, there wasn't a whole lot to cheer about for the Jets.

MacKinnon's work ethic and skill would be very appreciated in Winnipeg, i'm thinking.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:19 PM
Hansen Brother

I think he might have been mentioned before, but a guy to think about with one of our seconds maybe is Dillon Heatherington in Swift Current. He looks like a pretty good left handed defenceman. We could use a few of those in the system.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:24 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

vCash: 200
We could have the #1 pick but still draft the 259th ranked player. Would be amusing for about 30 seconds watching the TSN "experts" scramble to figure out who the player was (again).

Old
02-15-2013, 11:30 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
MacKinnon is what the JETS really need, but I'd bet almost anything that if the JETS had the #1 pick, they'd pick Jones.

Obviously you can't go wrong with either, but I fear that somehow, some way the JETS would find a way to ruin MacKinnon. Not basing this off anything substantial, just a feeling I get. They'd probably play him out of position on a line with Thorburn and Slater while Scheifele plays with Peluso and Tangradi.

For what it's worth, I'd almost be more inclined to select Drouin or even Barkov .... almost.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:31 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 2252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen Brother View Post
I think he might have been mentioned before, but a guy to think about with one of our seconds maybe is Dillon Heatherington in Swift Current. He looks like a pretty good left handed defenceman. We could use a few of those in the system.
Yeah, I've been raving about him for quite awhile.

I think he's going to end up going late 2nd or 3rd and be a steal for some team. Hopefully us.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:45 PM
pcanuck

Lol! Really - come on - I know the jets suck but it's a little early to be talking about the 2013 draft.

If for no other reason we really need to see the full TSN telecast of the oxygen bike ride assessment of the top 10 players. lol! Am I the only one that thought it was completely hilarious. I mean really - TSN is trying to compare a bicycle workout to the NFL combine?!? lol! I love the NGL, ooops, I meant NHL. That's okay, few will know the difference.

You're Winnipeg Jets: Fuelled by Patience (Passion is extra)

Old
02-16-2013, 12:01 AM
Channelcat

vCash: 147
Nicolas Petan is one of the top scorers in the 'dub and projected to go 2nd round. Might be an interesting center to look at. I wouldn't be suprised if they draft 2 or 3 C.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:03 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
Lol! Really - come on - I know the jets suck but it's a little early to be talking about the 2013 draft.

If for no other reason we really need to see the full TSN telecast of the oxygen bike ride assessment of the top 10 players. lol! Am I the only one that thought it was completely hilarious. I mean really - TSN is trying to compare a bicycle workout to the NFL combine?!? lol! I love the NGL, ooops, I meant NHL. That's okay, few will know the difference.

You're Winnipeg Jets: Fuelled by Patience (Passion is extra)
Uh...what?

I constantly watch junior games and junior game video on prospects. While also reading all the prospect reports I can online. This is simply a thread for likeminded individuals to discuss upcoming prospects or for others to pop in and learn about them.

The Jets (and their on ice results) have very little to do with this thread at this point in time. Right now is just solid discussion between draftniks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
Nicolas Petan is one of the top scorers in the 'dub and projected to go 2nd round. Might be an interesting center to look at. I wouldn't be suprised if they draft 2 or 3 C.
I very seriously doubt it. At 5'9" the Jets would be at the bottom of the list of teams interested in him.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:13 AM
JetsFan815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I very seriously doubt it. At 5'9" the Jets would be at the bottom of the list of teams interested in him.
Ofcourse, that's exactly kind of narrow minded, tunnel visioned thinking that would lead you to pass up on guys like Martin St Louis, Cory Conacher.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:11 AM
topcat986*

Top 5 pick is where Jets want to be . I also would like to throw the bank at the Dman playing for Nebraska-omaha in the Ncaa I mean seriously go all in on that kid and outbid and promise him a true roster spot.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Channelcat

Being small and being weak are 2 different things. Look at St Louis, Gallager, Desharnas, Marchand, etc. Those guys are all strong on their skates, then look at a so-called bigger guy that we drafted, Schieffle who gets bounced around like a child out there.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
Ofcourse, that's exactly kind of narrow minded, tunnel visioned thinking that would lead you to pass up on guys like Martin St Louis, Cory Conacher.
Sure is.

I'm not the Jets however, and don't completely agree with it, but that's how they pick.

Plus St. Louis and Conacher are very much an exception to the norm.

Quote:
Being small and being weak are 2 different things. Look at St Louis, Gallager, Desharnas, Marchand, etc. Those guys are all strong on their skates, then look at a so-called bigger guy that we drafted, Schieffle who gets bounced around like a child out there.
Desharnais is strong on his skates?

Old
02-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Channelcat

Ok maybe not Desharnes sp? But you know what i'm saying. To be clear i'm suggesting Petan as a 2nd pick if chevy is focused on centers. Clearly there are 4 or 5 elite c's that they will look at in the 1st as i expect they will pick top 4, maybe top 2 depending on the ping pong balls.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:59 PM
jetkarma

There will be some very intriguing prospects available at the top of round 2 at least. I fully expect we take 2 C's with our top 4 picks. Of course that can be fluid , depending on just who is available. Connor Hurley is very intriguing to me personally , and fits in around that slotting. Good size , feisty , can score , commited to Notre Dame.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
There will be some very intriguing prospects available at the top of round 2 at least. I fully expect we take 2 C's with our top 4 picks. Of course that can be fluid , depending on just who is available. Connor Hurley is very intriguing to me personally , and fits in around that slotting. Good size , feisty , can score , commited to Notre Dame.
Another one I've been taking a close look at is John Hayden.

There's a very solid crop of Americans available in the 2nd round and beyond this year.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:01 PM
jetkarma

I believe that Chevy is not only open to manouvering the draft but will do just that if the cost / return is right for him.

Could be a great move to get a top 6 or 7 pick and perhaps move up for a player you are very high on , using some of the extra picks. Can easily see the value in doing that , all depends on what the cost is and what the return is.

However I also see the value of multiple higher picks . Simply put , the more you have , the more chances you have on hitting on them . If you hit on 2 second round picks , the return should be very good. Part of me would like to see the Jets do this , maybe even add one or 2 relatively higher picks from trading disposable players like Antropov , Wellwood for picks for this year. How the Jets grade the draft will determine to a large extent imo how they proceed.

Really appears to be some value in round 2 and further , sure you never hit on all your picks , but if hit on half and have double or triple the usual amount , well not hard to see how you substantially build your team going forward.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Channelcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Looks like the kids got some sweet hands.

Last edited by Jet: 02-16-2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: fixed youtube tags
Old
02-16-2013, 03:16 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Looks like the kids got some sweet hands.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwEpSlB6uyc
From the little I have seen , and the reports I have read , he has really good instincts and touch . Plus the feistiness that was mentioned, lots of really intriguing round two types , and the more picks you have , the more chances you have , so a .50% success rate on 4 or more picks is much better than on 2 picks over 2 years. At least for me

He also is as young as you can be for this draft , which does affect his value imo.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:20 PM
JC Numminen
Global Moderator
The kid is alright!

vCash: 156
What do you guys think about Ryan Pulock? D man from the Brandon Wheat Kings with 154 points in 197 games. At 6'1 211 and a shot that was clocked at 101 MPH he could be good pick if we dont get one of the top 5 picks.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:25 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJet View Post
What do you guys think about Ryan Pulock? D man from the Brandon Wheat Kings with 154 points in 197 games. At 6'1 211 and a shot that was clocked at 101 MPH he could be good pick if we dont get one of the top 5 picks.
Good player , no doubt , but as RHD not the most needed of positions. While you don't draft for need , if you are drafting very high this draft , you manouver if at all possible to get the best player/fit for your team.

This draft has answers at C and this team needs answers at C imo , you manage it so you mesh those , again imo.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Hansen Brother

I would personally prefer to get Nurse/Zadorov with our first (I can't say which one would be better). If we can get a franchise center that's great but if management feels the talent level is equal, the weakest positions in our organization are LD and RW.

That, plus the fact it generally takes longer for D to round into form than a forward and I think a high end LD would be the best for us going forward.

Closed Thread