HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Fail for top pick. Come back with a contender next year!

Old
02-15-2013, 11:48 PM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

vCash: 500
Yes, adding a franchise player to a team that already has 2 or 3 franchise players would be amazing. That said you never play to lose...as a great coach once said: You play to win the game.

That's the great thing about sports.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:59 PM
Step
GO SENS GO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Yes, adding a franchise player to a team that already has 2 or 3 franchise players would be amazing. That said you never play to lose...as a great coach once said: You play to win the game.

That's the great thing about sports.

Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:36 AM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Step View Post
sens suck because of injuries not choice; and the sens aren't tanking every year.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:53 AM
Step
GO SENS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
sens suck because of injuries not choice; and the sens aren't tanking every year.
Neither is Edmonton.

Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:27 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step View Post
Our franchise players contain the best player in the NHL and top 7 NHL center with a top 10 goaltender.

Oil don't have anything close to our defense and goaltending and even depth. Only advantage they got is wingers.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:34 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Edmonton tanks because their management is bad. Each year after a fresh #1 overall pick, it's time to make the playoffs. Then injuries + bad team makes them sink.

This year they are again pathetic despite having a good goalie, and a top 6 of Eberle, RNH, Hall, Yakupov, Gagner, Hemsky. They need to have a proper team, coach, and GM.

Wow the Northwest is terrible, Calgary, Edmonton, Minnesota, and Colorado. 4 awful teams. Even we are better than them right now.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:05 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

The Wild aren't a bad team. Backstrom, a legit top line and arguably the best prospect pool make them a good team. They had huge roster turnover without a training camp and are still in the mix of things. They do not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the Avs, oilers and flames. That's a real contender on the rise.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 05:18 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKarlsson View Post
Lol.. Never said I was giving up but from what I can tell ottawa will be more of an ahl team this season playing vs NHL teams. Murray will not trade the farm for a quick fix while in a rebuild. Just stating the facts. Not giving up.
Didnt seem to kill us last time that happened.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 05:33 AM
Whippet

Just draft me. Il go after Cooke.

Whippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 06:06 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

No.

If any player tanks, they dont deserve a place in this league.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 06:38 AM
wilfred

I just hope Spezza doesn't rush back.... Get his back fixed as close to 100% as he can, if he is not back until next year so be it.

wilfred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 06:42 AM
2CHAINZ
@EverythingPawg

vCash: 177
I just want Jones so they can play ebony and ivory when he and King K run things.

2CHAINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 08:26 AM
OgieO

I'm not saying I want this to happen, but I think it will. We've lost so much of our puck possession, we've lost a big reason why we get the puck out of our own zone, we've lost our 2 big offensive threats, we've lost 30 minutes on the blueline, we've lost our two key elements to the PP.

We've just lost too much. We struggled to score without Spezza, it's only going to be worse without Karlsson. We're also going to be worse defensively.

It could be an ugly 2 months.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Montresor

First post here, but I just think it'd be unnecessary for the team to tank it for Jones or another high pick, I've missed Senators hockey for quite some time, and I'd hate it to turn to crap. I could see this team jumping through hoops and taking a low seed in the playoffs. Never give up!

Montresor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:55 PM
eNTe17

What worries me about tanking for a pick is creating a losing mentality with all the young players on the team. You want to build a core of players that are used to winning, and players that can overcome injuries. Those are the type of teams that go on to win the cup. I`d rather have a team that can battle through issues like the sens are currently facing, and work hard for a mid-placement, rather than just throwing in the towel and going for a pick. The Oilers have the assets and the young players, yet they struggle to make it work. Consecutive seasons of being a losing team is hardly what you want to build a cup run on. Penguins excluded.

The benefits of having a team that can fight through this are probably greater than one high pick.

eNTe17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:35 PM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
You guys don't need a top pick to succeed. Brian Murray is an excellent judge of talent.

Didn't the Sens miss the playoffs after their SCF run and then ended up picking Erik Karlsson?
Made the playoffs but was swept in first round. Had 18th overall pick but traded up to 15th cause rumor was Anahiem planned on taking Karlsson. Dorion and Forsberg probably deserve alot of credit for that pick.

The Latvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:25 PM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
If Anderson is not traded then Ottawa might not get into the top 10, he will still keep them in a lot of games. I'm hoping that they will be able to trade some guys at the trade deadline to get a few more picks including a 2nd maybe from trading Gonchar. There could be some pretty good players mid-first & 2nd/3rd rd. Gauthier & Mantha are likely mid to late first rd picks that could be interesting prospects, Button had some good things to say about both these guys even comparing Mantha to James Neal. Morin & Bailey are likely 2nd to 3rd rd picks that would also be interesting prospects with potential.
Yes of course, goaltending is the only thing we really have going for us right now. We are still going to struggle to score goals therefore I think it will be a lot of 1-0 2-1 3-1 type games where we can't seem to break into the lead. I like Mantha, but I feel as if we need a true playmaker, a player who makes everyone around him better. Like a Henrik Sedin or a John Tavares. You can basically play a pylon with both of them and the pylon would be good for 20+ goals (true story just ask Anson Carter). Mantha I think is more of scorer.

Someone who intrigues me in the mid first is Frederik Gauthier. He's listed at 6'5 everywhere I've checked and all the write ups on him seem fairly positive. Plays all situations, excels in pressure situations, good hockey IQ, great skating and hands.

QuietOnTheFront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 05:21 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietOnTheFront View Post
Yes of course, goaltending is the only thing we really have going for us right now. We are still going to struggle to score goals therefore I think it will be a lot of 1-0 2-1 3-1 type games where we can't seem to break into the lead. I like Mantha, but I feel as if we need a true playmaker, a player who makes everyone around him better. Like a Henrik Sedin or a John Tavares. You can basically play a pylon with both of them and the pylon would be good for 20+ goals (true story just ask Anson Carter). Mantha I think is more of scorer.

Someone who intrigues me in the mid first is Frederik Gauthier. He's listed at 6'5 everywhere I've checked and all the write ups on him seem fairly positive. Plays all situations, excels in pressure situations, good hockey IQ, great skating and hands.
It wouldn't take much to move back & gain an extra pick or use some assets to gain another first rd pick. Having two mid-1st-rd-picks to get both those guys would make it an interesting draft as well.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:32 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

The Sens put in a good effort today! But like I said the team isn't good enough with so many players missing! I like our chances at a top 3 pick!!! Murray please don't trade our young prospects for a quick fix. I really want a top end talent pick!!! This is the year to drop, while most of our best players are injured!

VikingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:35 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roooney View Post
Made the playoffs but was swept in first round. Had 18th overall pick but traded up to 15th cause rumor was Anahiem planned on taking Karlsson. Dorion and Forsberg probably deserve alot of credit for that pick.
Agreed but Tampa finished last and got Stamkos that year. Not bad to have a 60 goal scorer.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:38 PM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKarlsson View Post
The Sens put in a good effort today! But like I said the team isn't good enough with so many players missing! I like our chances at a top 3 pick!!! Murray please don't trade our young prospects for a quick fix. I really want a top end talent pick!!! This is the year to drop, while most of our best players are injured!
Most significantly, we'll need to replace Alfredsson and Gonchar with Free Agents. I'm not sure how easy that will be.

Otherwise, this current group + top3 pick - Alfie - Gonchar = no playoffs in 2013.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:42 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Remember the yr the B-Sens had their Calder Cup run? A number of guys played in Ottawa for about twenty games. They also had a slow start in Ottawa but slowly got better & better & they went on a run. It wasn't enough to get them into the playoffs but it certainly gave them the confidence to go back to Bingo & win the Calder Cup.

And some of those guys came to Ottawa the next yr & helped Ottawa get into the playoffs last yr & almost pull off a huge first round upset over the Rangers. The same could happen this yr as these B-Sens get some excellent NHL experience to let them know what they need to make it up here on a permanent basis. This will make our organization in Ottawa & Bingo better & if Bingo can hang on to a playoff spot they could get a lot of their players back who will be better than when they left & set them off on another Calder Cup run.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:44 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Most significantly, we'll need to replace Alfredsson and Gonchar with Free Agents. I'm not sure how easy that will be.

Otherwise, this current group + top3 pick - Alfie - Gonchar = no playoffs in 2013.
Lol.. If you get a top 3 pick which can be a good replacement for Alfie, maybe not Alfie but can help offensively, replacing gonchar is easy. Plus put back in the team Spezza, Karlsson, michalek, cowen. This team is a playoff team.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Magix

This team will compete but won't win many games. Instil a competing mentality and let the rest take care of itself. Thankfully no one has bit on Murray's offering of some of the kids when spezza/karlsson went down.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:50 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

How many prospects in this yr's draft will be able to step into the NHL next season? My guess 3 or less. Chances of Ottawa getting one of those three, slim to none.