HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quarter of the season in, Habs' best player(s)

Old
02-15-2013, 02:43 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Thank God for Gally and Chuckie. The thought of not having them playing for us is unnerving. Did you know Gally has the most 5-5 goals on the team with 4?
And Chuckie leads the team with a plus 7 with Gally second with plus 5.
Every other forward not named Bourque is swimming in mediocrity, or less. Our top line is still in lockout mode and its debatable if they ever recover. Personally, I think Patches will, but am dubious about other two. Oh, I know Pleks has 6 goals, but 3 are PP, and he still is on the ice more when the opposition scores than not (-3). Last year was much worse too. I wish he were better at 5-5. This concerns me.

Final thoughts: I would like to move DD and Gionta before the deadline and replace them with larger bodies. And of course, replace Armstrong with a proven nasty heavy weight.

Your comments and rebuttals are welcomed.
Really disagree with your assessment of Pleks game, you are greatly undervaluing his contributions. He has been our best forward and really only had 1 bad game. I know most of the game is played 5 on 5 but PP goals and points shouldn't be disregarded because of the man advantage, PP's happen in every game, and if you win because of a PP goal it's still as good as a 5 on 5er.

If we didn't have this guy we would be in the bottom 5 no doubt.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:56 PM
Dont Poke Subban
25th is coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
Really disagree with your assessment of Pleks game, you are greatly undervaluing his contributions. He has been our best forward and really only had 1 bad game. I know most of the game is played 5 on 5 but PP goals and points shouldn't be disregarded because of the man advantage, PP's happen in every game, and if you win because of a PP goal it's still as good as a 5 on 5er.

Exxxxactly. Pleks might be a -3 but he is our best scorer. With 3 ES goals and 3 PP goals, I dont know why people can still find a negative from that. We're lucky to have someone who can score 5on5 and on PP. He's our best Pk'er too.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:44 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagielski41 View Post
Exxxxactly. Pleks might be a -3 but he is our best scorer. With 3 ES goals and 3 PP goals, I dont know why people can still find a negative from that. We're lucky to have someone who can score 5on5 and on PP. He's our best Pk'er too.
I'm merely concerned that we don't have many guys who can score more goals ES, which includes Plecs, and his -15 from last year still troubles me.
I realize today Plecs is in our top 3 forwards, but that isn't saying THAT much because without Cole and Pax, we don't have much else.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:46 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 693
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post

10char

Winning is not the #1 thing. They want to win THEIR way.....even if it means they're handicapping themselves.
compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:13 AM
Alexdaman
Ferret Lover/Master

vCash: 50
I really don't see how playing Galchenyuk more than 12 minutes a game is a good strategy, when the Prust/Galchenyuk/Gallagher line is on the ice they often make potentially dangerous mistakes and it hasn't been easy for the rookies on the pp. Yes Galchenyuk is big enough to play physical but when you're barely 19yrs old and a 32yr old veteran is going at you it's not going to be a cup of tea. I hope that by the end of the year we will see Galchenyuk get 15mins of ice time and I'm convince that next year he'll be able to play 20mins a game and that he'll be racking up pts, all he as to do is to keep good creativity in all of the aspects of his offensive game.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:13 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
I really don't see how playing Galchenyuk more than 12 minutes a game is a good strategy, when the Prust/Galchenyuk/Gallagher line is on the ice they often make potentially dangerous mistakes and it hasn't been easy for the rookies on the pp. Yes Galchenyuk is big enough to play physical but when you're barely 19yrs old and a 32yr old veteran is going at you it's not going to be a cup of tea. I hope that by the end of the year we will see Galchenyuk get 15mins of ice time and I'm convince that next year he'll be able to play 20mins a game and that he'll be racking up pts, all he as to do is to keep good creativity in all of the aspects of his offensive game.
I concur with this. Definitely don't want to rush the kids so 12 min for now is fine. I'm sure that will go up as season progresses.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Thank God for Gally and Chuckie. The thought of not having them playing for us is unnerving. Did you know Gally has the most 5-5 goals on the team with 4?
And Chuckie leads the team with a plus 7 with Gally second with plus 5.
Every other forward not named Bourque is swimming in mediocrity, or less. Our top line is still in lockout mode and its debatable if they ever recover. Personally, I think Patches will, but am dubious about other two. Oh, I know Pleks has 6 goals, but 3 are PP, and he still is on the ice more when the opposition scores than not (-3). Last year was much worse too. I wish he were better at 5-5. This concerns me.

Final thoughts: I would like to move DD and Gionta before the deadline and replace them with larger bodies. And of course, replace Armstrong with a proven nasty heavy weight.

Your comments and rebuttals are welcomed.
+/- is partially (a big part) driven by percentages out of a player's control. Shooting percentages fluctuate wildly over a a small sample size (it takes about two seasons to be a reliable number) and save % is mostly luck and goaltending. The combination of those percentages is PDO, which should end up around 1 (1000 in the link below).

Montreal's PDOs so far: http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#

The Habs have been outshooting the opposition when Desharnais, Pacioretty, Cole or Plekanec have been on the ice. If they keep it up, eventually the percentages will run more in their favor.

The inverse is true for the kids. Although, they have been getting better at outshooting the opposition game by game, so hopefully that gives them a softer landing.

Prust's numbers (these numbers anyway) are worrisome.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Habaddict

Best Forward Plekanec
Best Defenceman Markov
Best Hab Price
Best Rookie Chucky
Best Smurf Gallagher
Best Bridge player Subban
Best Cajones Prust
Best Revival Bourque

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:27 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
There are a ton of Plek bashers on these forums, some who think he is absolutely useless so they will easily argue this without facts to back them up. I am not one of them, and he has been one of the best (if not the best) player so far. If he could be better on the faceoff circle then I'd have no real complaints on his game to date
hands down he has been our best player so far

solid both ends of the rink , the knock on Pleks is he has not been great in the playoffs

Markov has a been solid on the PP but average 5/5 and has lost a step

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Top Forward: Rene Bourque
Runner-Up: Tomas Plekanec

Best Defenseman: Andrei Markov
Runner-Up: Raphael Diaz

Best Grinder: Brandon Prust