HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Death to the Undertaker....The all purpose Fire McPhee thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-15-2013, 03:58 PM
  #876
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,503
vCash: 500
Semin...the gift that keeps on giving....


It's sad to see his defenders still at it, but I wish the guy well. Glad to see he's having a decent start, but get back to me after the postseason. He's also still trying to land his big contract, so buyer beware after that extension.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 04:04 PM
  #877
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
all i know is the whining and crying around here had mcphee signed semin to another contract would have been unbearable. i wanted to keep him but was content to see him go just so the semin haters would shut up.
Those of us who wanted him to stay can be every bit as obnoxious, I assure you.

Halpysback is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 10:27 PM
  #878
fashi13
Registered User
 
fashi13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
10 OUNCES....


Maybe he added 10lbs, but certainly not any strength..(by all appearances so far).

More disturbing is his attitude to shrink away from contact, get intimidated, and disappear. We have too many guys that have this same problem, if you hit them repeatedly and get in their face, they turn over the puck. Worse, they refuse to respond or actually push back.

fashi13 is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 11:54 PM
  #879
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Those of us who wanted him to stay can be every bit as obnoxious, I assure you.
well....you werent

txpd is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 01:24 AM
  #880
msrulo
Registered User
 
msrulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 류경6
Country: North Korea
Posts: 2,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Semin...the gift that keeps on giving....


It's sad to see his defenders still at it, but I wish the guy well. Glad to see he's having a decent start, but get back to me after the postseason. He's also still trying to land his big contract, so buyer beware after that extension.
Lol good job McPhee. Everyone's point production went down except maybe for Jay Beagle when Dale Hunter introduced his system.

msrulo is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 04:59 AM
  #881
g00n
Moderator
abides
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,661
vCash: 500
Well if Carolina can be awarded the Cup after just one round, Semin will be a hero. If a 2nd round is required, he'll disappear.

Semin is tied with over 20 players for 65th in the league in points (10), and 113th in goals (3). At a 6.3% shooting percentage he ranks tied for 330th, right up there with Wolski and other greats.

I keep hearing how Semin is making the Staals better. Eric Staal has 8 goals, and 4 GWG. Semin assisted on 2 of his goals and one of the game winners (a 1st period goal in a 1-0 win vs OTT). Jordan has 2 goals, no GWG, and no assists from Semin.


You don't think SOME of the Carolina fans are going through a honeymoon phase where the flashy moves of their shiny new $7 million dollar toy are seen in the most positive light possible? And that leading the SE doesn't contribute to that good feeling?

Is he terrible? No. Is he a $7mil superstar? Also no.


Last edited by g00n: 02-16-2013 at 05:47 AM.
g00n is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 07:53 AM
  #882
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
I keep hearing how Semin is making the Staals better...
Yes you are hearing it directly from Staal's and Muller's mouths. These are direct quotes not vague conjecture. And who would know better Eric Staal himself or you? Or Kirk Muller their coach or the haters on these boards?

Millhaus is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 08:42 AM
  #883
g00n
Moderator
abides
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Yes you are hearing it directly from Staal's and Muller's mouths. These are direct quotes not vague conjecture. And who would know better Eric Staal himself or you? Or Kirk Muller their coach or the haters on these boards?

What are they going to say? Our new $7 million dollar free agent forward sucks?

/Sasha cares

g00n is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 08:46 AM
  #884
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Well if Carolina can be awarded the Cup after just one round, Semin will be a hero. If a 2nd round is required, he'll disappear..
that might be true. without semin the caps would never have advanced from the first round. as they never advanced to the third or fourth rounds we have no idea whether he returns to visable in the later rounds. right?

txpd is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 08:50 AM
  #885
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
What are they going to say? Our new $7 million dollar free agent forward sucks?

/Sasha cares
same thing caps players and coaches said. nothing and then off the record they complained about him. do you think the complaints that were unnamed out of the caps room were made up by the media?

i think semin is the same in carolina. most caps players liked him a lot. he didnt talk to the media and he doesnt in carolina. you have to talk to eric the C staal to find out about semin. same as with the caps. you had to talk to ovechkin, who was his friend and nothing he said carried any cred.

txpd is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 08:59 AM
  #886
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
What are they going to say? Our new $7 million dollar free agent forward sucks?

/Sasha cares
I'm going to assume you didn't read the article. If you do and still feel those were just stock, we don't want to rock the team's boat quotes then I don't know what to tell you.

Millhaus is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:29 AM
  #887
g00n
Moderator
abides
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
same thing caps players and coaches said. nothing and then off the record they complained about him. do you think the complaints that were unnamed out of the caps room were made up by the media?

i think semin is the same in carolina. most caps players liked him a lot. he didnt talk to the media and he doesnt in carolina. you have to talk to eric the C staal to find out about semin. same as with the caps. you had to talk to ovechkin, who was his friend and nothing he said carried any cred.
13 games into his career as a Cane on a 1 year deal and they're in first place. Hardly comparable to his career with the Caps.

g00n is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:42 AM
  #888
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 16,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Yes you are hearing it directly from Staal's and Muller's mouths. These are direct quotes not vague conjecture. And who would know better Eric Staal himself or you? Or Kirk Muller their coach or the haters on these boards?
I'm glad it's working out for him. He never made his linemates better here for whatever reason. Ribeiro has done more with crappy linemates in a month than Semin did in 7 years.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:44 AM
  #889
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 16,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
that might be true. without semin the caps would never have advanced from the first round. as they never advanced to the third or fourth rounds we have no idea whether he returns to visable in the later rounds. right?
We can actually. He has bird bones and played hurt in the later rounds. That would have continued had we progressed.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 11:04 AM
  #890
g00n
Moderator
abides
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
that might be true. without semin the caps would never have advanced from the first round. as they never advanced to the third or fourth rounds we have no idea whether he returns to visable in the later rounds. right?
In all seriousness, no. We don't know any of what you just said. It's made up. The only fact is that Semin has disappeared in the 2nd round.

g00n is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 11:22 AM
  #891
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
He was still our 2nd highest scorer (3rd highest were Backstrom healthy). He did this with Perreault and Chimera, who while having a career year still benefited from Semin. Grinding hockey doesn't mesh with his offensive style as much as with, say, Chimera's, but he can still make plays when they are there and he is still useful. And he was excellent defensively as much as the company liners want to sweep it under the rug.

If someone wants to statsturbate a bit I'm sure the advanced stats would show the team benefiting massively with him on the ice under Hunter.
Mueller (sp?) comments in the article about how everyone thinks of Semin as a sniper but that he's also a great playmaker.

Plus the comments about his board play...

Semin's a great hockey player who wanted to be here despite all the crap he got. And not only did GMGM let him go, leaving us still without a real top 6, he let him go sign with a division rival for nothing...

Piss poor management strikes again.

californiacapsfan is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 12:03 PM
  #892
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I'm glad it's working out for him. He never made his linemates better here for whatever reason. Ribeiro has done more with crappy linemates in a month than Semin did in 7 years.
Yeah, I still can't believe he didn't turn Chimera and Perreault into art ross candidates. Just passable 2nd liners.

Halpysback is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 12:38 PM
  #893
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,503
vCash: 500
Semin played great in the Caps "responsible" brand of hockey. Great for a $4 mil player, not great for a $7 mil player.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 12:43 PM
  #894
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,868
vCash: 500
yeah he should have been like that other ~7+ million offensive player who kicked ass under Hunter.

If you go simply by stats the only type of player worth 7 million under Hunter is Chris Pronger.

Halpysback is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 01:23 PM
  #895
Ridley Simon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
yeah he should have been like that other ~7+ million offensive player who kicked ass under Hunter.

If you go simply by stats the only type of player worth 7 million under Hunter is Chris Pronger.
It was a mistake to let Semin go, for nothing, to a division rival (who is now in first place on our division).

Stupid
Stupid
Stupid...

and freaking stupid

Ridley Simon is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 02:54 PM
  #896
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I'm glad it's working out for him. He never made his linemates better here for whatever reason. Ribeiro has done more with crappy linemates in a month than Semin did in 7 years.
I think it shows what happens when elite players get to play with elite players. Semin never had a centerman of anywhere close to Staal's class in DC. The best linemates Semin ever had were Laich and either a very old Fedorov or an old Morrison. And I'm sure Laich and his $4.5 mil paycheck would beg to differ with your comment that Semin didn't make his linemates better...

Millhaus is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 03:36 PM
  #897
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
It was a mistake to let Semin go, for nothing, to a division rival (who is now in first place on our division).

Stupid
Stupid
Stupid...

and freaking stupid
Yes, it was. They should have dealt him years ago when they knew he wasn't worth the cash.

Instead, McPhee did what McPhee does and kicked the can, blindly hoping for a Cup to somehow fall out of the sky before he was forced to put his stamp on a difficult decision.

It would be ironic, powerfully so...if he was somehow fired and replaced by Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill this offseason.

EroCaps is online now  
Old
02-16-2013, 04:20 PM
  #898
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Yes, it was. They should have dealt him years ago when they knew he wasn't worth the cash.
Or... and I'm just spitballing here, maybe McPhee should have gotten a centerman who was worth a damn for him to play with. I mean a pretty darn good player who knows what it takes to win a cup in Eric Staal seems pretty darn happy to have such an elite player on his wing...

Millhaus is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 04:44 PM
  #899
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 16,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I think it shows what happens when elite players get to play with elite players. Semin never had a centerman of anywhere close to Staal's class in DC. The best linemates Semin ever had were Laich and either a very old Fedorov or an old Morrison. And I'm sure Laich and his $4.5 mil paycheck would beg to differ with your comment that Semin didn't make his linemates better...
Eh. Laich got paid for powerplay production. Semin didn't do do much for him at even strength.

McPhee is a moron for trying to build a second line out of one good player, but if you're going to go that idiot route, you're better off with Ribeiro. And you're saving money too.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 05:10 PM
  #900
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
McPhee is a moron for trying to build a second line out of one good player, but if you're going to go that idiot route, you're better off with Ribeiro. And you're saving money too.
IMO there is really nothing particularly special about Ribeiro or really wrong with Semin but if you are going to try to build a second line with just one good player that player should be a centerman so in that sense I agree with you. And I also agree trying to build a second line with just one good player isn't the best idea.

Millhaus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.