HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Death to the Undertaker....The all purpose Fire McPhee thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 03:58 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Semin...the gift that keeps on giving....

It's sad to see his defenders still at it, but I wish the guy well. Glad to see he's having a decent start, but get back to me after the postseason. He's also still trying to land his big contract, so buyer beware after that extension.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
all i know is the whining and crying around here had mcphee signed semin to another contract would have been unbearable. i wanted to keep him but was content to see him go just so the semin haters would shut up.
Those of us who wanted him to stay can be every bit as obnoxious, I assure you.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:27 PM
fashi13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
10 OUNCES....

Maybe he added 10lbs, but certainly not any strength..(by all appearances so far).

More disturbing is his attitude to shrink away from contact, get intimidated, and disappear. We have too many guys that have this same problem, if you hit them repeatedly and get in their face, they turn over the puck. Worse, they refuse to respond or actually push back.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:54 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Those of us who wanted him to stay can be every bit as obnoxious, I assure you.
well....you werent

Old
02-16-2013, 01:24 AM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Semin...the gift that keeps on giving....

It's sad to see his defenders still at it, but I wish the guy well. Glad to see he's having a decent start, but get back to me after the postseason. He's also still trying to land his big contract, so buyer beware after that extension.
Lol good job McPhee. Everyone's point production went down except maybe for Jay Beagle when Dale Hunter introduced his system.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:59 AM
g00n
abides

Well if Carolina can be awarded the Cup after just one round, Semin will be a hero. If a 2nd round is required, he'll disappear.

Semin is tied with over 20 players for 65th in the league in points (10), and 113th in goals (3). At a 6.3% shooting percentage he ranks tied for 330th, right up there with Wolski and other greats.

I keep hearing how Semin is making the Staals better. Eric Staal has 8 goals, and 4 GWG. Semin assisted on 2 of his goals and one of the game winners (a 1st period goal in a 1-0 win vs OTT). Jordan has 2 goals, no GWG, and no assists from Semin.

You don't think SOME of the Carolina fans are going through a honeymoon phase where the flashy moves of their shiny new $7 million dollar toy are seen in the most positive light possible? And that leading the SE doesn't contribute to that good feeling?

Is he terrible? No. Is he a $7mil superstar? Also no.

Last edited by g00n: 02-16-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old
02-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
I keep hearing how Semin is making the Staals better...
Yes you are hearing it directly from Staal's and Muller's mouths. These are direct quotes not vague conjecture. And who would know better Eric Staal himself or you? Or Kirk Muller their coach or the haters on these boards?

Old
02-16-2013, 08:42 AM
g00n
abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Yes you are hearing it directly from Staal's and Muller's mouths. These are direct quotes not vague conjecture. And who would know better Eric Staal himself or you? Or Kirk Muller their coach or the haters on these boards?

What are they going to say? Our new $7 million dollar free agent forward sucks?

/Sasha cares

Old
02-16-2013, 08:46 AM
txpd

Quote:
Well if Carolina can be awarded the Cup after just one round, Semin will be a hero. If a 2nd round is required, he'll disappear..
that might be true. without semin the caps would never have advanced from the first round. as they never advanced to the third or fourth rounds we have no idea whether he returns to visable in the later rounds. right?

Old
02-16-2013, 08:50 AM
txpd

Quote:

/Sasha cares
same thing caps players and coaches said. nothing and then off the record they complained about him. do you think the complaints that were unnamed out of the caps room were made up by the media?

i think semin is the same in carolina. most caps players liked him a lot. he didnt talk to the media and he doesnt in carolina. you have to talk to eric the C staal to find out about semin. same as with the caps. you had to talk to ovechkin, who was his friend and nothing he said carried any cred.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Millhaus

Quote:

/Sasha cares
I'm going to assume you didn't read the article. If you do and still feel those were just stock, we don't want to rock the team's boat quotes then I don't know what to tell you.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:29 AM
g00n
abides

Quote:
same thing caps players and coaches said. nothing and then off the record they complained about him. do you think the complaints that were unnamed out of the caps room were made up by the media?

i think semin is the same in carolina. most caps players liked him a lot. he didnt talk to the media and he doesnt in carolina. you have to talk to eric the C staal to find out about semin. same as with the caps. you had to talk to ovechkin, who was his friend and nothing he said carried any cred.
13 games into his career as a Cane on a 1 year deal and they're in first place. Hardly comparable to his career with the Caps.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:42 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
I'm glad it's working out for him. He never made his linemates better here for whatever reason. Ribeiro has done more with crappy linemates in a month than Semin did in 7 years.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:44 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
that might be true. without semin the caps would never have advanced from the first round. as they never advanced to the third or fourth rounds we have no idea whether he returns to visable in the later rounds. right?
We can actually. He has bird bones and played hurt in the later rounds. That would have continued had we progressed.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:04 AM
g00n
abides

Quote:
In all seriousness, no. We don't know any of what you just said. It's made up. The only fact is that Semin has disappeared in the 2nd round.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:22 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
He was still our 2nd highest scorer (3rd highest were Backstrom healthy). He did this with Perreault and Chimera, who while having a career year still benefited from Semin. Grinding hockey doesn't mesh with his offensive style as much as with, say, Chimera's, but he can still make plays when they are there and he is still useful. And he was excellent defensively as much as the company liners want to sweep it under the rug.

If someone wants to statsturbate a bit I'm sure the advanced stats would show the team benefiting massively with him on the ice under Hunter.
Mueller (sp?) comments in the article about how everyone thinks of Semin as a sniper but that he's also a great playmaker.

Plus the comments about his board play...

Semin's a great hockey player who wanted to be here despite all the crap he got. And not only did GMGM let him go, leaving us still without a real top 6, he let him go sign with a division rival for nothing...

Piss poor management strikes again.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I'm glad it's working out for him. He never made his linemates better here for whatever reason. Ribeiro has done more with crappy linemates in a month than Semin did in 7 years.
Yeah, I still can't believe he didn't turn Chimera and Perreault into art ross candidates. Just passable 2nd liners.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:38 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Semin played great in the Caps "responsible" brand of hockey. Great for a $4 mil player, not great for a $7 mil player.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Halpysback

yeah he should have been like that other ~7+ million offensive player who kicked ass under Hunter.

If you go simply by stats the only type of player worth 7 million under Hunter is Chris Pronger.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
yeah he should have been like that other ~7+ million offensive player who kicked ass under Hunter.

If you go simply by stats the only type of player worth 7 million under Hunter is Chris Pronger.
It was a mistake to let Semin go, for nothing, to a division rival (who is now in first place on our division).

Stupid
Stupid
Stupid...

and freaking stupid

Old
02-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
I think it shows what happens when elite players get to play with elite players. Semin never had a centerman of anywhere close to Staal's class in DC. The best linemates Semin ever had were Laich and either a very old Fedorov or an old Morrison. And I'm sure Laich and his $4.5 mil paycheck would beg to differ with your comment that Semin didn't make his linemates better...

Old
02-16-2013, 03:36 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
It was a mistake to let Semin go, for nothing, to a division rival (who is now in first place on our division).

Stupid
Stupid
Stupid...

and freaking stupid
Yes, it was. They should have dealt him years ago when they knew he wasn't worth the cash.

Instead, McPhee did what McPhee does and kicked the can, blindly hoping for a Cup to somehow fall out of the sky before he was forced to put his stamp on a difficult decision.

It would be ironic, powerfully so...if he was somehow fired and replaced by Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill this offseason.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Yes, it was. They should have dealt him years ago when they knew he wasn't worth the cash.
Or... and I'm just spitballing here, maybe McPhee should have gotten a centerman who was worth a damn for him to play with. I mean a pretty darn good player who knows what it takes to win a cup in Eric Staal seems pretty darn happy to have such an elite player on his wing...

Old
02-16-2013, 04:44 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
I think it shows what happens when elite players get to play with elite players. Semin never had a centerman of anywhere close to Staal's class in DC. The best linemates Semin ever had were Laich and either a very old Fedorov or an old Morrison. And I'm sure Laich and his $4.5 mil paycheck would beg to differ with your comment that Semin didn't make his linemates better...
Eh. Laich got paid for powerplay production. Semin didn't do do much for him at even strength.

McPhee is a moron for trying to build a second line out of one good player, but if you're going to go that idiot route, you're better off with Ribeiro. And you're saving money too.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:10 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
McPhee is a moron for trying to build a second line out of one good player, but if you're going to go that idiot route, you're better off with Ribeiro. And you're saving money too.
IMO there is really nothing particularly special about Ribeiro or really wrong with Semin but if you are going to try to build a second line with just one good player that player should be a centerman so in that sense I agree with you. And I also agree trying to build a second line with just one good player isn't the best idea.

Closed Thread