HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXXII

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 02:09 AM
JoemAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
It wasn't clear if that's what XX from the Phoenix board was asking for or not here. I asked, and said Phoenix would probably only get one, and they'd have to decide which one.

I've been arguing from the premise that I'm ok with dealing either one of them, not necessarily both.

Lets be fair to Jones. Sure he's a drunk, we can all agree on that. But a guy that has scored 20 and 27 goals in the last two seasons is not a bottom six player. He's not a great top six player, but a top six player none the less.
Backtracking?

We clearly discussed this exact deal for almost a whole page and you were a strong advocate in favor of making this deal. I wrote 3 times that I would be Ok with ROR + Sgarbossa and not once did you agree with me on my valuation of Yandle.
Jones is a fringe Top 6 guy that should not have gotten the contract he did.

You were arguing for the "quick fix do whatever you can to get Yandle and win-now at all cost"- approach.
And your statement about the protected pick does seem illogical to me. You just assume that it would be a Mid-1st in 2014 for sure.
I don't think that will be the case for sure with ROR gone and maybe Stastny as well ( we have to make a decision on him soon).

Old
02-16-2013, 02:28 AM
cgf

When Jones is sober he brings a lot to the table, he's not just a finisher, he's strong along the boards, he brings a good burst, he can cycle the puck, and is a good defender.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:43 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
When Jones is sober he brings a lot to the table, he's not just a finisher, he's strong along the boards, he brings a good burst, he can cycle the puck, and is a good defender.
Yeah... But only when there is a full moon. He is night and day from night to day...

If he would actually play like a power forward consistently I would be fine with his 'I score a GW goal once every 5 games'...

Old
02-16-2013, 02:56 AM
shadow1

Sadly I don't think David Jones is going anywhere, but I'm optimistic that he can rebound.

Much like a #2 receiver in football, I think Jones is at his best when the attention isn't on him. When Downie and Landeskog eventually return during Jones's way-too-long contract, I think he'll be more successful in a complimentary role.

Or at least I hope.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:02 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Yeah... But only when there is a full moon. He is night and day from night to day...

If he would actually play like a power forward consistently I would be fine with his 'I score a GW goal once every 5 games'...
He's streaky, but when he's on an upswing he's a very 2nd line forward, stick Landy next Staz and Jones with all 3 healthy and that'd be an excellent line to pair up with the McPing-Dutchy-PAP line.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:50 AM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 50
Boychuk has 0 points in 7 games for Pens playing with Malkin and Neal. I'm not sure you're going to get a better chance than that.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:27 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Boychuk has 0 points in 7 games for Pens playing with Malkin and Neal. I'm not sure you're going to get a better chance than that.
Yah...sounds like we got the better waiver wire pickup.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:43 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Yah...sounds like we got the better waiver wire pickup.
Lol, at least that's the one bright spot about our front office... 'Scouting staff'

(Still not sold on Pj's though... I'll be curious to see how he plays with some more confidence though)

Old
02-16-2013, 05:00 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Lol, at least that's the one bright spot about our front office... 'Scouting staff'

(Still not sold on Pj's though... I'll be curious to see how he plays with some more confidence though)
To be honest "We kicked ass on the waiver wire" would be a better marketing tactic than anything else they've come up with in the last few years.

In the end, I doubt Palushaj's anything more than a 3rd/4th line guy who can pot the occasional goal. Which means he's destined to get gobs of money thrown at him by the Calgary Flames.

Old
02-16-2013, 06:22 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
To be honest "We kicked ass on the waiver wire" would be a better marketing tactic than anything else they've come up with in the last few years.

In the end, I doubt Palushaj's anything more than a 3rd/4th line guy who can pot the occasional goal. Which means he's destined to get gobs of money thrown at him by the Calgary Flames.
Palushaj needs to improve his balanche, now he's way too easy to knock off the puck. Other than that, he's got some speed and very wicked wrist shot.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Backtracking?

We clearly discussed this exact deal for almost a whole page and you were a strong advocate in favor of making this deal. I wrote 3 times that I would be Ok with ROR + Sgarbossa and not once did you agree with me on my valuation of Yandle.
Jones is a fringe Top 6 guy that should not have gotten the contract he did.

You were arguing for the "quick fix do whatever you can to get Yandle and win-now at all cost"- approach.
And your statement about the protected pick does seem illogical to me. You just assume that it would be a Mid-1st in 2014 for sure.
I don't think that will be the case for sure with ROR gone and maybe Stastny as well ( we have to make a decision on him soon).
Backtracking? No, pointing out that I never once advocated giving up both of them, and that I said in the beginning Phoenix couldn't get both.

The original deal proposed was O'Reilly, a protected 1st, and one or both of Sgarbossa/Barrie (it wasn't clear) for Yandle and Vermette.

We've been arguing on the principle of giving up a 1st, or giving up prospects like Barrie and Sgarbossa. That has been the stance that everyone has taken. That we can't give up 1st round draft picks for a guy like Yandle, or we can't give up young prospects before we know for sure what they are going to be.

If it's obvious what they're going to be, and it's not that great, no one is gonna want them I might add. This is right around the time when you trade a guy like that if you are going to do it, after you've watched them closely for a little while, and go with your gut. While they still have some promise to interest another team.

I don't know what the 2014 pick would be. All I know is that we'd likely pick up another big prospect this year, and work around not having one the next year, where we would hope to be an older, healthier, and better on paper team that finishes higher in the standings.

You guys are scared to death to make any moves. Scared Barrie may develop into a stud. Scared if we have to give up a first this year outside the top ten, it's gonna be a superstar. Scared if the pick moves to 2014, we don't know where we're gonna finish there either. Scared Yandle is gonna bolt in a few years based on a rumor. Scared it's gonna be 5+ years until we can be competitive.

It's not about being impatient. They've been patient, and drafted a solid core with Duchene, O'Reilly, and Landy, while adding some younger pieces to the core like EJ and Varly. They don't need to keep stockpiling propects and draft picks, they can use those pieces in trades now if they want, because they have that young core. When you have an aging team, and either no young core, or everyone's in their first or second year in the league, then you keep all your picks and prospects. This team is solid though age and talent wise. They just need a couple big pieces, and a new coach.

At some point you have to take some sort of risk to build your team. You can't pu**y foot around worrying about everything, or nothing will get done.. This isn't even that risky of a deal. Giving up the unprotected 1st for an injury prone KHL risk was way riskier. So was giving up a young power forward that had a great season, and a young much more promising offensive defenseman (with 26 points in 46 games as opposed to Barrie's one assist in 15 games), for an all around guy that could help out at both ends of the ice rather than just one, and a defensive forward to help the PK.

We all but have to move O'Reilly, and the Avs would be adding a decent prospect, and a protected 1st, and getting back a proven All Star defensemaan capable of putting up 60 points, and a great 2nd/3rd line two way center as well. How is everyone ok with the risk on the first two deals, but scared to death of this one? This team needs help to build it into a winner, and I categorically disagree that Yandle is a "quick fix " no matter how many times you say that's my stance.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 02-16-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old
02-16-2013, 01:01 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Kinda hope the Avs pick up Blair Jones on waivers. Big guy, getting pretty good on faceoffs, would make a good 4C and allow the Avs to get Sgarbossa back down in the AHL getting some real playing time.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
Kinda hope the Avs pick up Blair Jones on waivers. Big guy, getting pretty good on faceoffs, would make a good 4C and allow the Avs to get Sgarbossa back down in the AHL getting some real playing time.
I thought Blair Jones was an integral part of the Flames future success.
What happened there?

Old
02-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
What happened there?
He must of gotten in a tif with Feaster...

It's too bad he got hurt last year, if not, they would have finished first in the league.

Feaster lol

Old
02-16-2013, 01:34 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
He would fit the 4th line a lot better then Olver.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Quote:
MIn the end, I doubt Palushaj's anything more than a 3rd/4th line guy who can pot the occasional goal. Which means he's destined to get gobs of money thrown at him by the Calgary Flames.
And a no trade clause.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:05 PM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
What happened there?
Was at the Wild vs Flames game this week. Jones was the best player on the ice for the Flames. Doesn't take a shift off, high energy, hard worker. I really like him but he has almost no puck skills. We could do a lot worse than picking him up. Doubt we will, but I think some team should.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:36 PM
AslanRH
#RespectTheCliche

vCash: 50
Does Jones have any pk value? That is where I feel our 3rd and 4th don't contribute enough. I happen to like the Trollver for his versatility at all 3 forward spots and he's cheap, but wish he was more of a pk guy.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:16 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslanrh View Post
Does Jones have any pk value? That is where I feel our 3rd and 4th don't contribute enough. I happen to like the Trollver for his versatility at all 3 forward spots and he's cheap, but wish he was more of a pk guy.

That is why this fool was not happy that we traded Galiardi and Winnik in the same deal (I was not unhappy about the return though ).

I loved seeing Winnik and McClement eat up the PK time and therefore seeing an increase in PP and even strengt for the likes of ROR and Lando.

I dislike seeing our top players being used as PKers. Atleast in the regular season...

@ Foppa: I really don't want to talk about it anymore. I just don't view our core the same way you do. I don't think they are that good and therefore we are still rebuilding. Let's just agree to disagree and move on .

Old
02-17-2013, 04:16 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Mike Chambers ‏@MChambersDP
#Avs to call up a defenseman today, probably Stefan Elliott, but Coach Sacco hasn't decided

Old
02-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Someone else get hurt or is Sacco ready to bench someone? Knowing Sacco, it'll probably be Barrie for his turnover in the third but hopefully ROB or SOB sit.

edit: I guess Hunwick could sit too.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:23 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Please let it be Gaunce.

Avs19 those options are more realistic, but maybe we plan on trading someone?

Old
02-17-2013, 04:27 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Someone else get hurt or is Sacco ready to bench someone? Knowing Sacco, it'll probably be Barrie for his turnover in the third but hopefully ROB or SOB sit.

edit: I guess Hunwick could sit too.
EJ probably to IR.

Edit* Or maybe a trade?

Old
02-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
EJ probably to IR.

Edit* Or maybe a trade?
I guess it could be a trade but I'm thinking: Landeskog off IR, EJ to IR, and Elliott on the roster.

Pickard will go back to the AHL.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:34 PM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
EJ probably to IR.

Edit* Or maybe a trade?
I guess, EJ was just put on IR.

Edit: I forgot about Pickard