HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

MacIntyre and the changing role of the enforcer

Old
02-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
if a guy can't play at least 10 minutes a night when needed, I don't want him on my team.

As far as the idea of bringing Mac up for teams with a tough guy so Engo doesn't have to fight him, I have a simple question. How about nobody fights him? Let them waste a roster spot.
Like I said earlier, I don't see any issue with having a guy like him in the AHL.

The AHL still has that wild west type atmosphere that the NHL had from the 70's to the early 90's where lots of things happen and stuff escalates quickly.

I don't see him being in the NHL for specific teams, but for a game like the one against the Sens, where the hatred and anger has had a while to fester, I think calling him up isn't a bad option.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:32 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Like I said earlier, I don't see any issue with having a guy like him in the AHL.

The AHL still has that wild west type atmosphere that the NHL had from the 70's to the early 90's where lots of things happen and stuff escalates quickly.

I don't see him being in the NHL for specific teams, but for a game like the one against the Sens, where the hatred and anger has had a while to fester, I think calling him up isn't a bad option.
I just don't get what you think he'll accomplish if he's up against someone like Ottawa. Will Neil even care? He can do whatever he plans to do and if Mac tries to do anything then Neil can take a few punches and earn his team some powerplay time.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
I just don't get what you think he'll accomplish if he's up against someone like Ottawa. Will Neil even care?
I don't know how Neil will react, but I do know that when MacIntyre gets angry, he's pretty much an animal that isn't going to stop until he decides he's done. That has to be in the back of opposing players' minds as well.

Last year when Greg Amadio ducked him and went after Geoff Walker instead, MacIntyre went ballistic and fought basically 1/3 of the Springfield Falcons roster.

He pounded Matt Clackson this year after Clackson fought Morrow in a game when he was scratched, and suddenly the entire Hershey Bears team was on their best behavior.

I think he's useless more often than not, but he can be a deterrent. He's the cliched "nuclear option."

I'd imagine he'd be dressed for a game like the one against Ottawa, otherwise Shero wouldn't have bothered bringing him back.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:44 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I don't know how Neil will react, but I do know that when MacIntyre gets angry, he's pretty much an animal that isn't going to stop until he decides he's done. That has to be in the back of opposing players' minds as well.

Last year when Greg Amadio ducked him and went after Geoff Walker instead, MacIntyre went ballistic and fought basically 1/3 of the Springfield Falcons roster.

He pounded Matt Clackson this year after Clackson fought Morrow in a game when he was scratched, and suddenly the entire Hershey Bears team was on their best behavior.

I think he's useless more often than not, but he can be a deterrent. He's the cliched "nuclear option."

I'd imagine he'd be dressed for a game like the one against Ottawa, otherwise Shero wouldn't have bothered bringing him back.
if he's ever going to play, that's the game to play him. I just personally don't think he should ever play.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
if he's ever going to play, that's the game to play him. I just personally don't think he should ever play.
Agreed.

I'm in the same boat - if a guy can't play 10 minutes a game without being a liability then he's not a player I want on my team.

Engelland is valuable because he can fight and play his position reasonably well. MacIntyre...no.

I understand and respect his position for the Baby Penguins...I don't want any two-bit goons in the AHL trying to make a name for themselves against our youngsters, but the age of the goon has passed in the NHL. If you can't play then you don't deserve a roster spot.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Agreed.

I'm in the same boat - if a guy can't play 10 minutes a game without being a liability then he's not a player I want on my team.

Engelland is valuable because he can fight and play his position reasonably well. MacIntyre...no.

I understand and respect his position for the Baby Penguins...I don't want any two-bit goons in the AHL trying to make a name for themselves against our youngsters, but the age of the goon has passed in the NHL. If you can't play then you don't deserve a roster spot.
Yeah, but for one game under unusual circumstances? I really don't see the risk there.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
If Ottawa decides they want to pull an Islanders and call up every goon they have (which they really don't have much of), then yeah...I don't see the harm in that.

...but I think the two months between meetings will do a lot to settle the emotions and most Senators will come around to the fact that it was just a fluke injury and not something done with malicious intent.

If Ottawa feels that Cooke deserves more than getting jumped and repeatedly getting punched in the face then that's just sad.

Cooke 'took' his beating last night. Sending any more goons after him two months down the line would be nothing short of pathetic, and something I think that organization has too much pride to do. I'm sure Neil will be going around trying to hit with a little extra oomf that game...but MacIntyre being on the bench isn't going to prevent an agitator from doing his job.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:48 PM
Jag68Sid87

I will always maintain that we should be a three-line team, not a four-line team. When you have Crosby and Malkin centering your first two lines, you should play three lines. You should also double-shift Sid, Geno, maybe James Neal on occasion, and maybe Brandon Sutter on occasion, in MacIntyre's spot.

There's NOTHING wrong with an enforcer only seeing 3-5 minutes a night. ESPECIALLY if it makes the rest of your roster play bigger (and they usually do).

Until someone better (at hockey) comes along, who can enforce and scare opponents as well as MacIntyre can, then I still want MacIntyre. Things are a little bit different this year without Staal, but I would even argue that had we been a three-line team since '06, Staal would have probably been content enough to stay with us. Instead, we have given our fourth liners such an important role that Staal wound up wanting more. It didn't have to be that way.

And all of that is tied to having an enforcer, because they're really the only forwards you can give 3-5 minutes a game to and not lose the player mentally.

It would be pretty difficult to convince me that Craig Adams is more valuable in the lineup than Steve MacIntyre. But I like my hockey from a different era.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:15 AM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
But I like my hockey from a different era.
me and you both, my friend.

nothing wrong with that scenario if you have a top 3 (maybe higher) heavyweight

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:34 AM
Jaded-Fan

He does kind of end nonsense by his very presence. For how little he is paid, it is nice to have that option. Like the Flyers idiocy at the end of the year. I liked having him on the bench ready to go if needed. When you have $18 million invested per year in the two best players on the planet a small insurance policy is not a bad idea.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:02 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
I will always maintain that we should be a three-line team, not a four-line team. When you have Crosby and Malkin centering your first two lines, you should play three lines. You should also double-shift Sid, Geno, maybe James Neal on occasion, and maybe Brandon Sutter on occasion, in MacIntyre's spot.
How about we do that in the playoffs (where heavyweights who cannot play hockey have no place) and roll four lines in the regular season?

Quote:
It would be pretty difficult to convince me that Craig Adams is more valuable in the lineup than Steve MacIntyre. But I like my hockey from a different era.
It will always be difficult to convince anyone who has his mind 100% set on something, but if I should give it a try anyway....

We can agree that MacIntyre would be in the lineup for the positive effect you believe he would have on the rest of the team (playing bigger, etc.) rather than his own... ahem... skills, right?

If that is so, would you say our (losing) 5-6-1 record with Mac on the team last season - compared to (Presidents Trophy pace) 46-19-5 without him - inspire this confidence you have that he improves his teammates when he is in?

OK, 12 games... small sample size.... how about his former team, Edmonton in 10/11... when they were the giant suck and at least arguably needed him to not be marsh-mellow soft to play?

7-22-5 with him in the lineup. 18-23-7 without.

There is no way I would ever ascribe so much significance to MacIntyre either way, that I would suggest that his presence or non-presence explain the above numbers. I would say though, that beyond the eye test that screams waste of space! these numbers should at least tell you that your argument cannot be substantiated by anything. It is a gut feeling based on hockey from more than a decade gone, Jaded.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:37 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

10 years ago he might have been a nice addition to the team. Today, I just don't see one single thing that he does to help. I don't even think they help protect anybody. Did Godard really help anything in the Islander game? Brent Johnson, from the bench resulting in a 10 game suspension if I remember correctly. How about Talbot or Tangradi? Do you think they were grateful for the calming presence of Eric Tangradi while they were being cheapshotted? Did he prevent injuries to our players while he was here? Did Sid and Geno really take less abuse during his tenure? Did Shawn Thornton keep Cooke from destroying Marc Savard? Would Carkner have helped keep Karlsson healthy on Wednesday?

I am 100% convinced that Steve MacIntyre does absolutely nothing to help his team win hockey games. Pure enforcers do two major things at games these days: give the other team powerplays when they actually do their job, and perform in a meaningless sideshow for people who can't move on from a past era of hockey.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:49 AM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
me and you both, my friend.

nothing wrong with that scenario if you have a top 3 (maybe higher) heavyweight
Count me in on that too. Mac brings a unique quality that nobody else on the team (maybe the league) has. Sure, Adams is a good PK'r. We have about 6 other good PK'rs. Adams scores as many goals a year as Mac.

Now, 9 times out of 10 I'd rather play Adams, cause he's a much better player. But like I said, I got no problem having Mac play against Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, etc.

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:00 AM
Terrapin

Quote:
10 years ago he might have been a nice addition to the team. Today, I just don't see one single thing that he does to help. I don't even think they help protect anybody. Did Godard really help anything in the Islander game? Brent Johnson, from the bench resulting in a 10 game suspension if I remember correctly. How about Talbot or Tangradi? Do you think they were grateful for the calming presence of Eric Tangradi while they were being cheapshotted? Did he prevent injuries to our players while he was here? Did Sid and Geno really take less abuse during his tenure? Did Shawn Thornton keep Cooke from destroying Marc Savard? Would Carkner have helped keep Karlsson healthy on Wednesday?

I am 100% convinced that Steve MacIntyre does absolutely nothing to help his team win hockey games. Pure enforcers do two major things at games these days: give the other team powerplays when they actually do their job, and perform in a meaningless sideshow for people who can't move on from a past era of hockey.
I believe we had this discussion before. You can't quantify what Mac or any goon brings to a team. It's hard to prove something that's largely intangible. What does Craig Adams bring to the team? Penalty killing? Sure, but so does everyone else on the team not named Geno and Neal. What does Vitale bring? Effort? Sure, but so does every 4th liner in every league on Earth.

Maybe you forget how that Isle's game played out that night. they had 4 goons in the lineup, hellbent on hurting players. We had 3 tough guys (Asham was injured and not playing that night). Two of our tough guys (Engo and Rupp) got tossed early, along with only one of their guys, who happened to be the least tough (Martin). That left Godard vs Gilles, Konopka, and Haley. Godard coming off the bench may have saved Johnson, may have prevented Gilles from coming back on the ice, and definitely prevented one of our actual important players from thinking about doing the same thing and getting suspended.

You're right, goons have no real place in the league anymore. But, despite the wishes of a lot of people, this isn't European/Olympic hockey, yet.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:22 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
How about we do that in the playoffs (where heavyweights who cannot play hockey have no place) and roll four lines in the regular season?

It will always be difficult to convince anyone who has his mind 100% set on something, but if I should give it a try anyway....

We can agree that MacIntyre would be in the lineup for the positive effect you believe he would have on the rest of the team (playing bigger, etc.) rather than his own... ahem... skills, right?

If that is so, would you say our (losing) 5-6-1 record with Mac on the team last season - compared to (Presidents Trophy pace) 46-19-5 without him - inspire this confidence you have that he improves his teammates when he is in?

OK, 12 games... small sample size.... how about his former team, Edmonton in 10/11... when they were the giant suck and at least arguably needed him to not be marsh-mellow soft to play?

7-22-5 with him in the lineup. 18-23-7 without.

There is no way I would ever ascribe so much significance to MacIntyre either way, that I would suggest that his presence or non-presence explain the above numbers. I would say though, that beyond the eye test that screams waste of space! these numbers should at least tell you that your argument cannot be substantiated by anything. It is a gut feeling based on hockey from more than a decade gone, Jaded.
That's all fine and dandy, but when we had Laraque (playing 71 games and three playoff rounds) we went to the Finals. When we had Godard, we won the Cup. He didn't play much, you say. Fine. But ask the players if they loved having Godard on the team?

Maybe it's MacIntyre. Maybe he's just THAT BAD at hockey. I can actually accept that. But he's one tough mofo. And if that gets everybody to play bigger, that's good enough for me.

But I suppose Tanner Glass's stat line (0-0-0, -4) is indispensable on this team.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:33 PM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
If Ottawa decides they want to pull an Islanders and call up every goon they have (which they really don't have much of), then yeah...I don't see the harm in that.

...but I think the two months between meetings will do a lot to settle the emotions and most Senators will come around to the fact that it was just a fluke injury and not something done with malicious intent.

If Ottawa feels that Cooke deserves more than getting jumped and repeatedly getting punched in the face then that's just sad.

Cooke 'took' his beating last night. Sending any more goons after him two months down the line would be nothing short of pathetic, and something I think that organization has too much pride to do. I'm sure Neil will be going around trying to hit with a little extra oomf that game...but MacIntyre being on the bench isn't going to prevent an agitator from doing his job.
The Sens won't go after Cooke. They will go after Crosby

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
I believe we had this discussion before. You can't quantify what Mac or any goon brings to a team. It's hard to prove something that's largely intangible. What does Craig Adams bring to the team? Penalty killing? Sure, but so does everyone else on the team not named Geno and Neal. What does Vitale bring? Effort? Sure, but so does every 4th liner in every league on Earth.

Maybe you forget how that Isle's game played out that night. they had 4 goons in the lineup, hellbent on hurting players. We had 3 tough guys (Asham was injured and not playing that night). Two of our tough guys (Engo and Rupp) got tossed early, along with only one of their guys, who happened to be the least tough (Martin). That left Godard vs Gilles, Konopka, and Haley. Godard coming off the bench may have saved Johnson, may have prevented Gilles from coming back on the ice, and definitely prevented one of our actual important players from thinking about doing the same thing and getting suspended.

You're right, goons have no real place in the league anymore. But, despite the wishes of a lot of people, this isn't European/Olympic hockey, yet.
In a full on brawl, sure a goon can be useful. I'll give you that; that game is probably worse than I am remembering just because it was so much worse than any other game in recent years. But in a real hockey game, I want hockey players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
The Sens won't go after Cooke. They will go after Crosby
I doubt that.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Hophog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Not comparable situations. Cooke shouldn't have to fight a legit enforcer for a completely accidental play.
This. If anything they Owe Neil a visit from one of our tough guys. I like having a tough guy but I agree that maybe Mac isn't the answer. What good is a guy that? 1. people won't fight. 2. A player that will get ejected just for stepping on the ice.

I do like the idea of having more tough players in the lineup than just Engo and Glass though. We all know Neil isn't going to fight anyone he doesn't think he can beat and players are going to go after Crosby regardless. We don't have a team, like Boston, where there are a number of guys that could jump in and take on the fringe players like Rinaldo and Neil for taking a run at Crosby or Malkin but that doesn't relieve the team of the responsibility to try if it does happen.

If we are going to be team that doesn't want to have tough guys out there to help protect our stars then we need to have guys that are willing to take a beating to try to protect them, ala Max Talbot. IMO Mac is overkill and we just need a couple more guys that play mean like Engo. Bortuzzo seems to be a good start.

There is absolutely no reason why Cooke should give Neil the satisfaction of fighting him though. He'd be better off turtling and trying to draw a penalty. The team, in this instance, should have Cooke's back and let him know that he doesn't need to answer for the accident.

Hophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:24 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
That's all fine and dandy, but when we had Laraque (playing 71 games and three playoff rounds) we went to the Finals. When we had Godard, we won the Cup. He didn't play much, you say. Fine. But ask the players if they loved having Godard on the team?
I have always hated the last argument there. What are the players going to say to "How does it feel having a heavyweight like Godard to protect you?"
Sid: " He has a great attitude, but it would be better to have a hockey player". Malkin: "He big no hands. Why play?" Not going to happen.
Its like people pointing to an article in the Trib on the day the Pens commemorate Bylsma's historic 4th year in office, and (some) people read positive comments on him from players as affirmation that he is not just a likeable guy but also an awesome coach. Not that he isn't, perhaps, but you sure cannot put any stock on that kind of thing.
That said I do think we needed that kind of grinta added back when we got Laraque and Roberts, because we had young super stars getting abused and we were SOFF. With Godard it also fit our identity more, because we could back it up all over the ice... well, at least on the forwards side of things.

Now.... I don't see us being dominated physically or getting cheap shot to an extent that suggests a need for an enforcer, at all.
We are losing a lot of battles but that is because we are a small team on most nights, and adding a fighter to pump up the hitting and naughtiness factor is something the rest of the team cannot back up. The only guys in the top9 who could maybe hold their own if things got heated are Malkin, Neal and Sid, and we don't want them involved in any of that either way.

Quote:
Maybe it's MacIntyre. Maybe he's just THAT BAD at hockey. I can actually accept that. But he's one tough mofo. And if that gets everybody to play bigger, that's good enough for me.
Well, again, it doesn't seem to have that effect with Mac at all. But I will concede that I wouldn't be crying about having a tough guy/enforcer on the 4th line if he could play hockey also. Find me a Shawn Thornton for the Pens and I will be right there with you in being elated.

Quote:
But I suppose Tanner Glass's stat line (0-0-0, -4) is indispensable on this team.
I prefer his 200+ hits per season, solid forechecking and consistent physical play as well as competent penalty killing to a "staged fights and no hockey" side show.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:28 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 648
I miss Godard.

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:01 AM
Mrs Crosby's Dryer

Despite MacIntyre's hockey deficits, he's definitely needed on the big club. Having a nuclear option is still a necessary part of the game. As others have already said, when you have the two best players in the league entering the prime's of their career's it's crazy not to try and protect those assets. He is more of a deterrent than the majority of our kinder-gentler posters on here can understand. Having him up isn't the solution, but it's a good start.

The bigger picture problem is that this team is not hard to play against anymore and lacks the necessary size, toughness, and grit to run out the grind of even this shortened season and playoffs. Most of the Eastern teams really ramped it up in the toughness department over the past few seasons while we've unfortunately scaled back.

Hopefully Shero has been paying attention and realizes his mistake. I'm hoping that through a combination of getting rid of some of our remaining dead weight (Jeffrey, Kennedy, etc.), moving some of our overflowing D-man prospect pool (save Morrow of course), and picks that we reconstruct the roster into one that other teams don't look forward to playing.

Mrs Crosby's Dryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:44 AM
87isgod

I hate dressing sum1 like godard. But its become evident 2 me that this team is kind of soft. I don't want 2 get into a crazy arguement that I'm sure some of you are dying 2 misconstrue. But let's take this game 2nite for example. You can not let a team run your norris ilk dman over and over with no responce. 2mnay times I've watched crosby handle himself. Its utter b.s. and Idont want to hear well kunitz came over and pushed sum1. No one in the league is afraid of kunitz. Being a solid hitter and a detterent are 2 different things. Yeah adams stuck up for the cheapy on nisky. Still I see a problem here.

87isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 05:35 AM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Crosby's Dryer View Post
Despite MacIntyre's hockey deficits, he's definitely needed on the big club. Having a nuclear option is still a necessary part of the game. As others have already said, when you have the two best players in the league entering the prime's of their career's it's crazy not to try and protect those assets. He is more of a deterrent than the majority of our kinder-gentler posters on here can understand. Having him up isn't the solution, but it's a good start.

The bigger picture problem is that this team is not hard to play against anymore and lacks the necessary size, toughness, and grit to run out the grind of even this shortened season and playoffs. Most of the Eastern teams really ramped it up in the toughness department over the past few seasons while we've unfortunately scaled back.

Hopefully Shero has been paying attention and realizes his mistake. I'm hoping that through a combination of getting rid of some of our remaining dead weight (Jeffrey, Kennedy, etc.), moving some of our overflowing D-man prospect pool (save Morrow of course), and picks that we reconstruct the roster into one that other teams don't look forward to playing.
I will still stand by my theory that the physicality of this roster started to tank after that Isles debacle. And I think Shero was made to do that by Mario.

It's no coincidence that the biggest, toughest teams are almost always atop the standings.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:44 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
I will still stand by my theory that the physicality of this roster started to tank after that Isles debacle. And I think Shero was made to do that by Mario.

It's no coincidence that the biggest, toughest teams are almost always atop the standings.
Outside of Boston..... What team could you possibly be thinking of? I'll give you Rangers of last year as an example, but that was outrageous goal tending more than anything.

Old
02-16-2013, 06:22 AM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Outside of Boston..... What team could you possibly be thinking of? I'll give you Rangers of last year as an example, but that was outrageous goal tending more than anything.
Boston, NY, St. Louis, Philly, Vancouver.