HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Jets - Adams >>> Tangradi

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 12:26 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
+Fleury was the reason we won this game. Outstanding performance from #29 tonight. Even the lone goal he gave up wasn't on a patented softie.

+Craig Adams/4th line. Adams gets his own recognition because he scored 2 goals, but the 4th line in general was great tonight.

+Paul Martin continues to play very solid. Again, I think the biggest difference between this year's version and last year's is Martin seems willing to engage physically this year. He'll go into the corners or take a bump, whereas last year he shied away from that.

+Beau Bennett. He looked good in his limited minutes. Not to harp on it, but he really did illustrate the difference between him and Tangradi in terms of showing some glimpses of potential in the limited ice time he received.

+James Neal is money when he's got the puck in the slot.

-----

As for minuses, in general it just amazes me how a team that's 10-5 on the season can look so bad in a lot of its games. We did not look good tonight. The team looks so bad on break outs, and still turns the puck over a ridiculous amount. Ugh ... it's getting tiresome watching it.

This is a different topic altogether, but I find the Pens a rather boring team to watch play. I don't know if it's the generally inconsistent performance, or the style we play, or the fact we've got 50 million grinders for forwards, but it's not much of a fun team to actually watch, at least not unless Sid or Geno are absolutely magical on a given night.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:33 AM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Seeing him with that sort of hustle, even if it is yes just temporary kinda made me annoyed.

Where was that hustle when he was with us???
it was more than hustle, had was making good plays, had a few good looks at the net, and made a few nice passes.

Tangradi made comments similar to Brian Strait - felt like he was unable to just play hockey, afraid to make any mistakes, etc... Now, let's see if Tangradi can do this for more than just 1 game, but it's definitely worth keeping any eye on moving forward.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:46 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
it was more than hustle, had was making good plays, had a few good looks at the net, and made a few nice passes.
Oh I know, IIRC didn't he do quite a nifty little move when powering to the net and got a shot on MAF???

There was one thing he did in particular (which could have been what I just said) that made me yell "where were these moves when you were with us Tangradi you ******" at my TV.

For the life of me though I wish I could remember. I had quite a few beers during the game and just woke up from a nap like an hour ago.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:43 AM
Jaded-Fan

For how crappy this team has looked, I just glanced at the standings and they have the 4th amount of points in the entire league. 1 point away from 2nd most points in the league.

Which goes to my whole gripe that I have been singing all year. This team is a regular season dynamo, but just is not built to suceed in the playoffs. They win, but look absolutely terrible when they do, making lots of mistakes everyone here knows will cost them when the games are called more closely and teams tighten up their defensive play in the playoff. It nice to see them win during the regular season, but I remain extremely worried about what is going to happen in April. And not because we do not have a ****ing wing or two that everyone is screaming about. It is all about the system.

Some other thoughts:

As we all know Philly is way down there in the standings. I keep hearing about their injuries, but screw that. No one has suffered injuries, both in number and to the quality of players we have lost over the last three years, and we still put up 100 point seasons. Injuries do matter, but what is going on in Philly now does make you want to give some major props to the depth players on the Pens who sucked it up and stepped up their game when our players went down.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:52 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
The Dynamic Duo

Missed this one. Nice to see Beau impressed a bit in his debut.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:54 AM
Slabber Chops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
This is a different topic altogether, but I find the Pens a rather boring team to watch play. I don't know if it's the generally inconsistent performance, or the style we play, or the fact we've got 50 million grinders for forwards, but it's not much of a fun team to actually watch, at least not unless Sid or Geno are absolutely magical on a given night.
I know it's blasphemous, however I agree with this point. It's almost like they're a bit flat and it's really the opposition who is bringing the energy to the recent games. Ah well..

Old
02-16-2013, 01:59 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Some other thoughts:

As we all know Philly is way down there in the standings. I keep hearing about their injuries, but screw that. No one has suffered injuries, both in number and to the quality of players we have lost over the last three years, and we still put up 100 point seasons. Injuries do matter, but what is going on in Philly now does make you want to give some major props to the depth players on the Pens who sucked it up and stepped up their game when our players went down.
Amen brother.

With that said it's awesome to watch those clowns and their flash-in-the-pan captain imploding this year. Especially after they seemed to have our number last year.

I wonder where all this "leadership" of theirs is?

Hopefully they will finish high enough in the standings but not too high. Just high enough so that they won't make the playoffs by a few points and don't draft 1st or 2nd overall. If they fall too low and draft either MacKinnon or Jones I will puke.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:28 AM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
The third line really needs a new identity, it's almost as much of a pressing need as a top six winger.
I think acquiring a top six winger, thus bumping Dupuis to that 3rd line, would greatly improve it. I've been lobbying for a Cook-Sutter-Dupuis 3rd line. That's a line that will forecheck, be excellent in the D zone, and have 3 guys capable of potting 15-20 goals minimum. I say find out where BeauDangles works in the top 6, trade a D man for the other spot, and the 3rd line will fall into place perfectly.

Kennedy and his zone time killing style of play is the downfall of that 3rd line, and he's been awful for upwards of a calendar year now.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:35 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Seeing him with that sort of hustle, even if it is yes just temporary kinda made me annoyed.

Where was that hustle when he was with us???
With the fear of Bylsma lifted, Strait found a new home and so did Tangradi.

People can hate on Tangradi all he wants, 2 ex players saying the same thing...kind of speaks volumes to me. No one seems to care though.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:45 AM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post

People can hate on Tangradi all he wants, 2 ex players saying the same thing...kind of speaks volumes to me. No one seems to care though.
Meh. I don't mind Bylsma holding OK youngsters to high standards when it comes to playing time. If you **** up (aside from his obvious favorites), the guys that aren't ****ing up are going to play over you. Especially when you're a prospect on a team that is chasing the Cup every year. Especially when your main talent is not ****ing up too much (Strait, Lovejoy). DB isn't going to do that with guys who are clearly going to be impact NHLers like Despres and Bennett, so I have no problem with him doing it with middle-of-the-road prospects like Tangradi, Strait, and Lovejoy. All assets that were deemed expendable because other guys were outplaying them. I have no issue with it.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:29 AM
gordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post

If Bylsma doesn't win in the playoffs this year, he might also be looking for a new NHL home very soon.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:58 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
If Bylsma doesn't win in the playoffs this year, he might also be looking for a new NHL home very soon.
My knowledge of pens coaches is limited, so I was shocked when steigy said he is the longest tenured coach in pens history.

That's insane...4 years, really?

Old
02-16-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
I miss when Crosby would attack the D any time he got the puck with speed in the neutral zone. He used to skate through the defense on a nightly basis. Now he button hooks everytime he gains the zone and looks for the trailer. Or, in this game, he'd gain the blueline and right away take a weak wrist shot. That's not good enough.

Also, the breakout is getting annoying. How many times per game do we see the forwards exit the zone before the d-men can make a play and then watch the defensemen stand in with the puck in their own zone with no one to pass to? They rarely exit the zone as a team because they focus on playing too quickly. When it works it's great, but it almost never works.
I actually thought plan B looked pretty good last night or at least as good as its looked all year. When the wall and stretch pass are taken away, guys like Letang, Martin and Malkin were carrying the puck up ice pretty well.

I had some problems with how they played once they reached the offensive zone blue line but exiting the defensive zone wasn't to bad.

+ Forgot to give a plus to Vittles. Active, hard on the puck and he has some ability to carry the puck.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:59 AM
JTG

I thought everyone played fairly solidly. I liked what we were doing in the first where the defense was making a pass to the forwards, and the forwards were getting it in deep and going to work. We established a ton of zone time, and kept the Jets hemmed in their zone.

I thought Beau was great. I'm so surprised how strong he is on the puck. He's really bulked up and gotten stronger. I think the guys oozes creativity, and we may have a pretty good player.

I think him with Neal and Geno could be pretty lethal.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:08 AM
gordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
My knowledge of pens coaches is limited, so I was shocked when steigy said he is the longest tenured coach in pens history.

That's insane...4 years, really?
As a longtime fan, the players have always run things here. But in the case of Bylsma, except for the glaring need of a 4th big defenseman, this team ought to be good enough to win at least a couple of rounds in the playoffs and if not maybe changes are necessary.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:12 AM
JTG

I definitely think this team is very close to being the first in the east. I definitely think this is a year where you sacrifice the long term for the short term.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:25 AM
Terrapin

+ Fleury was awesome. We should have lost 5-2.
+ Adams. He gets a lot of **** around here, but he was the man tonight.
+ PP. They're still not clicking on all cylinders, but I really like having Tang and Martin out there together.
+ Neal. Dude is amazing.

- Kennedy. I think enough's been said of him already. He sucks. Serves absolutely no purpose. Imagine how much better that line would be with Clutterbuck instead of TK.

- Sloppy play. We were largely dominated for most of the game. This is a sign of things to come once the playoffs start. We're not built for it. Reminds me of the Caps a few years ago. Unless we can find someone not named Sid, Geno, or Neal to score goals, and unless we can find a way to actually grind teams down (probably by getting a Clutterbuck type), we will be one and done again.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:28 AM
TheSniper26

This game basically came down to:

Win - Fleury
Loss - Jets

I'm tough on MAF, but he was stellar tonight and has been very solid so far this season. Hopefully he carries this play into the playoffs.

Old
02-16-2013, 06:19 AM
Random Oracle

vCash: 50
Neal's scoring at a 60-goal pace right now. I think he'll slow down, but it's quite possible he'll be in the Rocket Richard race.

Old
02-16-2013, 06:26 AM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Oracle View Post
Neal's scoring at a 60-goal pace right now. I think he'll slow down, but it's quite possible he'll be in the Rocket Richard race.
It'd be amazing if Shero could find a respectable winger to play with Geno and Neal. Get those guys rolling at even strength.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:01 AM
Saving Greiss
Trade Malkin???

Wasn't the best win, but it was a win. They mentioned on CBC that Bylsma thinks this team could hit another level. If they can reach that level, then they could go really far.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:27 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I definitely think this team is very close to being the first in the east. I definitely think this is a year where you sacrifice the long term for the short term.
What do you mean?

Old
02-16-2013, 08:33 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

- I think this team lacks any bite on the back end when Bort is being sat and Despres is having his minutes cut. I loved seeing Bort mix it up and agitate, and it seemed to get Engo going as well. It is like taking Vitale off the fourth line. Without him there, they are just a slow, ordinary line.

- BB had some good and some bad. I think people got a glimpse of how he is far from a perimeter player. I was more impressed with his defensive positioning on a few plays, using his quick stick to knock away a few passes. It may be awhile before he starts to carry the puck on his own and create, however.

- When Tangradi put Despres through the glass I remember wishing that was DB. It shouldn't matter where your number is called in a draft. If your coach doesn't believe in you, it makes it really hard to believe in yourself. Kadri as I keep saying is a perfect example of that. Under RW he played limited minutes, looked like a bust and kept getting benched/sent down. Under RC he is being fed minutes, allowed the freedom to make mistakes, is leading his team in points and playing a physical, inspired brand of hockey.

- Letang's mistake at the end is a microcosm of what is keeping him from becoming a top three overall blueliner in this league. He is a sick talent but his decision making at times is porous and I'm not sure if it will ever change at this point. I think we may always get a string of several great games by him, followed by some WTF games.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Jacob

I thought Crosby and Malkin were uncharacteristically bad.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:40 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Niskanen looked a little shakey. I got the impression that he is not fully healed yet. I don't understand what's the urgency is to rush his return if he wouldn't be 100%.

Closed Thread