HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Some of our team stats look really bad...

Old
02-16-2013, 01:47 AM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
I think that the first line is doing well. They are producing points while protecting goals against. RNH has been a beast defensively, and Eberle will start finishing more once he re-gains his confidence from becoming a more total physical player. Hall has been a true leader, and this line will only get better statistically in time.

The second line is playing well offensively as well. Although they are letting in more goals against than the first, this is mainly due to Yakupovs rookie mistakes and the line still getting to know eachother with their assigned defensive responsibilities. This will get better in time. Gagner is maturing into a true hockey player, while Hemsky is showing that he's still got it. I expect this line to start protecting more goals against once Gagner has proven to himself and the team that he is worth his next contract, and builds his confidence in the transition game knowing that he will take advantage of opportunities that come.

For me the main problems lie within the 3rd and fourth lines who have barely any points. Losing Jones has been huge for us because we can't replace his numbers. Our 3rd line is producing less points than most other teams 4th lines and this needs to change immediately. A Glencross or Clowe type player is what we desperately need here, as well as a RW who can score like a Stafford.

Our 4th line desperately needs some speed, size, experience, and hockey smarts. Players who know hockey, know the tricks, and who can grind down and play old fashioned stick on the ice, work in the corners hockey. To me, MPS Lander and Harti will benefit more from greater ice-time in the AHL. We need guys here who know the game and who are reliable for more points and who can pass on some hockey smarts to the kids. For me a Boyle type might be nice down the middle with a side of ryan jones and ryan smyth. Having a langkow or an arnott in the pressbox will really help the kids learn the tricks as well. This is what we really need.

Defensively we are okay however its time to make some room for Klefbom etc.. and aquire some size in front of the net. Hejda from CLB and Ericksson from DET come to Mind. I would like to see Smid move on somewhere nice, as well as Whitney, Peckham, Plante and Potter.

Krueger is a great coach and is showing the world that he means business.

All in all I think this season will be used as a measuring stick, and the majority of the moves will be made towards the end, at the deadline, draft and in the off-season.

We are in a great position right now, only 5 or 6 peices away from a solid play-off team. With the amount of extra players and prospects we currently have, I think that only another top 5 pick will actually be of use to this team. If we arent in a position to draft someone who can come in and help immediately then we should be trading the picks for immediate help but this won't happen.

I feel extremely luck to have Doobie as our goalie, and know that getting rid of tamby will change nothing. I have the utmost faith in kevin lowe and tamby, to make deals, but i feel like we are going to use this season to groom hall ebs nuge yak shultz harti mps and lander, on our roster and accept the losing results rather than make trades for success now. I am fine with this, however I feel that without 3rd and 4th line scoring, our team will never live up to its potential.

Next season I expect us to be 2-3 pieces away from contending, with those moves possibly coming at the deadline.

As for everyone else who is talking about statistics, lets all just remember why we are not at the top of our division.. It's because Eberle is in a slump. he has missed too many chances to count and many of our games results would have been different if he had capitalized. Our management relied on his consistency a great deal in the design of this team, and hopefully he will snap out of it soon.

Last edited by t0psh3lfclu7ch: 02-16-2013 at 01:58 AM.
t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:01 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0psh3lfclu7ch View Post
I think that the first line is doing well. They are producing points while protecting goals against. RNH has been a beast defensively, and Eberle will start finishing more once he re-gains his confidence from becoming a more total physical player. Hall has been a true leader, and this line will only get better statistically in time.

The second line is playing well offensively as well. Although they are letting in more goals against than the first, this is mainly due to Yakupovs rookie mistakes and the line still getting to know eachother with their assigned defensive responsibilities. This will get better in time. Gagner is maturing into a true hockey player, while Hemsky is showing that he's still got it. I expect this line to start protecting more goals against once Gagner has proven to himself and the team that he is worth his next contract, and builds his confidence in the transition game knowing that he will take advantage of opportunities that come.

For me the main problems lie within the 3rd and fourth lines who have barely any points. Losing Jones has been huge for us because we can't replace his numbers. Our 3rd line is producing less points than most other teams 4th lines and this needs to change immediately. A Glencross or Clowe type player is what we desperately need here, as well as a RW who can score like a Stafford.

Our 4th line desperately needs some speed, size, experience, and hockey smarts. Players who know hockey, know the tricks, and who can grind down and play old fashioned stick on the ice, work in the corners hockey. To me, MPS Lander and Harti will benefit more from greater ice-time in the AHL. We need guys here who know the game and who are reliable for more points and who can pass on some hockey smarts to the kids. For me a Boyle type might be nice down the middle with a side of ryan jones and ryan smyth. Having a langkow or an arnott in the pressbox will really help the kids learn the tricks as well. This is what we really need.

Defensively we are okay however its time to make some room for Klefbom etc.. and aquire some size in front of the net. Hejda from CLB and Ericksson from DET come to Mind. I would like to see Smid move on somewhere nice, as well as Whitney, Peckham, Plante and Potter.

Krueger is a great coach and is showing the world that he means business.

All in all I think this season will be used as a measuring stick, and the majority of the moves will be made towards the end, at the deadline, draft and in the off-season.

We are in a great position right now, only 5 or 6 peices away from a solid play-off team. With the amount of extra players and prospects we currently have, I think that only another top 5 pick will actually be of use to this team. If we arent in a position to draft someone who can come in and help immediately then we should be trading the picks for immediate help but this won't happen.

I feel extremely luck to have Doobie as our goalie, and know that getting rid of tamby will change nothing. I have the utmost faith in kevin lowe and tamby, to make deals, but i feel like we are going to use this season to groom hall ebs nuge yak shultz harti mps and lander, on our roster and accept the losing results rather than make trades for success now. I am fine with this, however I feel that without 3rd and 4th line scoring, our team will never live up to its potential.

Next season I expect us to be 2-3 peices away from contending, with those moves possibly coming at the deadline.

As for everyone else who is talking about statistics, lets all just remember why we are not at the top of our division.. It's because Eberle is in a slump. he has missed too many chances to count and many of our games results would have been different if he had capitalized. Our management relied on him a great deal in the design of this team, and hopefully he will snap out of it soon.
I think you're crazy. In no way is our top line doing well. They are tasked with providing the team with the 5on5 offense. They are the reason we are losing games.

Not to mention our system is completely broken. This team is severely under-performing. We don't need any more pieces until Koach Kruger figures out what to do with what he already has.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:04 AM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I think you're crazy. In no way is our top line doing well. They are tasked with providing the team with the 5on5 offense. They are the reason we are losing games.

Not to mention our system is completely broken. This team is severely under-performing. We don't need any more pieces until Koach Kruger figures out what to do with what he already has.
I think we're mistaking 'doing well' with 'production'.

In every sense of these wordings, they are basically an equivalent. BUT, we can't state whether they're doing well or not based primarily on their stats. It's weird to say, but true. We're not getting any puck luck. It sounds like a huge excuse, but it's incredibly true. A lot of would be goals are just not going in. You can blame that on the players, but I'd rather blame it on the situation as a whole.

That being said, our top line is creating a lot of chances. With that, we could value our top line doing quite well. The only way for this theory to work, is to suppose our top line cashing in on the usual tap ins. It's just not going in.

The chances are happening, and it's bound to go in soon enough. We should just be glad that our top line is able to create as much as they are, because there isn't much else to be happy about.

ohheyhemsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:35 AM
Nail and Nuge

I think puck luck is the biggest cop out message. 13 game into the season and our top line has been garbage offensively. Everyone is lauding their defensive play; no offense, but we didn't select Hall and RNH for their shut down abilities. I love the Nuge. He is far and away my favorite Oiler, but he has looked dreadful this year offensively. You can tell on the half wall on the PP that he is not comfortable. If the guys needs surgery for the love of J just shut him down and rehab for next year. Something is very wrong with him currently.

Nail and Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:51 AM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail and Nuge View Post
I think puck luck is the biggest cop out message. 13 game into the season and our top line has been garbage offensively. Everyone is lauding their defensive play; no offense, but we didn't select Hall and RNH for their shut down abilities. I love the Nuge. He is far and away my favorite Oiler, but he has looked dreadful this year offensively. You can tell on the half wall on the PP that he is not comfortable. If the guys needs surgery for the love of J just shut him down and rehab for next year. Something is very wrong with him currently.
Defensive capabilities can suck an egg, especially when it comes to Hall, Eberle, etc. RNH is a different story, as we knew he'd be a two way dynamo.

It's true. It's a lame excuse, but the chances are there. We'll start potting them in soon enough.

I'm weirdly optimistic tonight.

ohheyhemsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Fourier

ESPN has an excellent game summary tool that lists every event during a game. I took a look at the last Vancouver game to see if there was anything of interest in explaining the Oilers shot differential. What I found was the following

Code:
Distance	Oilers	Canucks
0-19	9	4
20-29	5	8
30-39	5	10
40-49	5	4
50+   	1	14
The Canucks big shot advantage was all on shots from over 50 feet out. In fact 7 of the Canuck shots came from 60 ft or more away from the net. This is actually something I suspected. A good part of the reason for the big shot differential is that the Oilers give up lots of point shots but other than Schultz they have few of their own.

This is especially true on pp's.

Part of this is good news. One can argue that the shot differential skews the perception of the game play. BUt part of it is bad news as well. Lots of point shots against can be indicative of the fact that the team does still struggle to get the puck out of their own end.

Last edited by Fourier: 02-16-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 08:22 AM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
ESPN has an excellent game summary tool that lists every event during a game. I took a look at the last Vancouver game to see if there was anything of interest in explaining the Oilers shot differential. What I found was the following

Code:
Distance	Oilers	Canucks
0-19	9	4
20-29	5	8
30-39	5	10
40-49	5	4
50+   	1	14
The Canucks big shot advantage was all on shots from over 50 feet out. In fact 7 of the Canuck shots came from 60 ft or more away from the net. This is actually something I suspected. A good part of the reason for the big shot differential is that the Oilers give up lots of point shots but other than Schultz they have few of their own.

Part of this is good news. One can argue that the shot differential skews the perception of the game play. BUt part of it is bad news as well. Lots of point shots against can be indicative of the fact that the team does still struggle to get the puck out of their own end.
The reality of that is that opponents feel like they can score from anywhere on the oilers, ie: Dubnyk doesn't intimidate. Both the goalie and the d are prone to fluke or stupid goal. Hopefully, Dubnyk's recent performances will eventually change that, but I still see that he is easier to score on from far than from in-close, he simply doesn't look big in net, doesn't force opponents to search for intricate plays or perfect shots be able to score like Price or Lundvist do, for example. Anyone who sees such goalies with regularity see there is still a gap for Dubnyk to make up to be atthat level, even if he does make a lot of saves.

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:25 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post

Code:
Distance	Oilers	Canucks
0-19	9	4
20-29	5	8
30-39	5	10
40-49	5	4
50+   	1	14

That's illuminating and interesting. Solid post.

What it also tells me is that the Oilers simply don't shoot enough from anywhere except in close... they refuse to shoot the puck until they dipsy-doodle it and pass it around to setup perfect shots when they should be blasting from distance more often and going for garbage goals... rebounds, deflections etc.

Maybe even get the odd goal that would bounce off the glass then off the goalies back and in... or some fluke shot that bounces off a goalie mask and in... not that those things ever happen in real life or anything.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:40 AM
raab
Where's the Heart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
The reality of that is that opponents feel like they can score from anywhere on the oilers, ie: Dubnyk doesn't intimidate. Both the goalie and the d are prone to fluke or stupid goal. Hopefully, Dubnyk's recent performances will eventually change that, but I still see that he is easier to score on from far than from in-close, he simply doesn't look big in net, doesn't force opponents to search for intricate plays or perfect shots be able to score like Price or Lundvist do, for example. Anyone who sees such goalies with regularity see there is still a gap for Dubnyk to make up to be atthat level, even if he does make a lot of saves.
Most successful teams take a lot of shots from the points, then try to cash in on the rebounds. I bet if you look at all the top teams in the league they all get a ton of offense generated from there d men. It's defnitely not just us that teams play like that against. If you want an example look at Belanger a solid 40 point center before coming to the Oiler's who have no presence from the point, now suddenly he struggles to hit 20 points. Coincidence? I think not.

raab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
People are overstating the "defensive ability of our topline.

Any difference between first line and second line is largely attributable to D pairings.

For instance these are the 5 on 5 D pairing on ice percentages if you're RNH:

J Schultz 49 N Schultz 40 Smid 34 Petry 33 Whitney 17 Potter 14

If your name is Sam Gagner you're seeing:

Petry 37 Smid 35 J Schultz 34 N Schultz 31 Whitney 24 Potter 21

Note as well that if Whitney had not been benched for 3games his matching with the Gagner line based on minutes played per game would put him up there with Petry.

The intent of the club is to get the the better D pairings, and particularly J Schultz out more with the topline. To match I guess what they were doing in OKC. Right not J Schultz is head and shoulders the best D on this club, Whitney, Potter the worst. The vast differential in d quality on this club means that who you're playing with is extremely important.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:46 AM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If the pick is 1/2 you just take Jones or MacKinnon, sit down, and shut up.

Hire a competent GM, trade Gagner + Hemsky (if you haven't done this already) for a big body forward + top 4 d-man.
You readily recognize that the maturity of the lineup is one of its major weaknesses but then in the next post you want to move Hemsky and Gagner for other vets??

The Oilers will never succeed until they stop granting roster space to rookies and sophmores, year after year.

The day we fire up the old interweb for a season opener and see that the Oilers aren't starting any players with under 100 games experience will be the day we can expect dramatic improvement.

Gagner, Smid and Hemsky need to be extended and the Oiler need to focus on moving their picks and prospects for availble NHLers that can help now

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
People are overstating the "defensive ability of our topline.

Any difference between first line and second line is largely attributable to D pairings.

For instance these are the 5 on 5 D pairing on ice percentages if you're RNH:

J Schultz 49 N Schultz 40 Smid 34 Petry 33 Whitney 17 Potter 14

If your name is Sam Gagner you're seeing:

Petry 37 Smid 35 J Schultz 34 N Schultz 31 Whitney 24 Potter 21

Note as well that if Whitney had not been benched for 3games his matching with the Gagner line based on minutes played per game would put him up there with Petry.

The intent of the club is to get the the better D pairings, and particularly J Schultz out more with the topline. To match I guess what they were doing in OKC. Right not J Schultz is head and shoulders the best D on this club, Whitney, Potter the worst. The vast differential in d quality on this club means that who you're playing with is extremely important.

And here we go again. I thought someone already posted a chart for you earlier that showed there wasn't a huge difference in time for the 1st line or 2nd line with the Schultz pairing? And yet you continue to use that as an excuse to (once again) pump up Gagner's game.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Stoneman89

The top line is going up against the toughest competition every single night. It's a new experience for them this year after being sheltered last year by the Horcoff line. They are holding their own against the Thortons and Datsyuks of the world defensively, and are starting to tilt the ice to their advantage as the season goes on. The chances are becoming more and more frequent. When the scoring eventually (and it will) catches up to the play, they will have taken a big step forward. All three of them, but especially RNH have taken huge steps in their own end, physical play and adjusting to a new system. This is a big year for all of them in terms of new roles.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Krueger and the MacT influence. Let's try and make all of our skilled players into Pavel Datsyuk who is a once in 10-15 years type of all around player.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
The top line is going up against the toughest competition every single night. It's a new experience for them this year after being sheltered last year by the Horcoff line. They are holding their own against the Thortons and Datsyuks of the world defensively, and are starting to tilt the ice to their advantage as the season goes on. The chances are becoming more and more frequent. When the scoring eventually (and it will) catches up to the play, they will have taken a big step forward. All three of them, but especially RNH have taken huge steps in their own end, physical play and adjusting to a new system. This is a big year for all of them in terms of new roles.
More fallacy. Teams play 50% of their games on the road where the other team has last change. This 'sheltering' bit is a good deal of bunk most of the time. You either play against the other teams top offensive line or their top checking line, you don't play against both but this is what people seem to think Horcoff has been doing for years.

Out top line eihter gets the other teams top skilled line or their checking line, no one gets a free ride in the NHL. The problem with our top lines scoring? The line has fallen into the classic oiler trap of never having a three man rush up the ice. We seem to have MacT 2.0 as the coach now and one guy is always lagging behind because he has been told to get down low in the Defensive zone and make sure the puck is out before headin up ice. This of itself can be managed if you have multiple D men that can or will join the rush. the oilers have exactly one of those.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
More fallacy. Teams play 50% of their games on the road where the other team has last change. This 'sheltering' bit is a good deal of bunk most of the time. You either play against the other teams top offensive line or their top checking line, you don't play against both but this is what people seem to think Horcoff has been doing for years.

Out top line eihter gets the other teams top skilled line or their checking line, no one gets a free ride in the NHL. The problem with our top lines scoring? The line has fallen into the classic oiler trap of never having a three man rush up the ice. We seem to have MacT 2.0 as the coach now and one guy is always lagging behind because he has been told to get down low in the Defensive zone and make sure the puck is out before headin up ice. This of itself can be managed if you have multiple D men that can or will join the rush. the oilers have exactly one of those.

Not a fallacy at all. Last year, I doubt most teams gave the Hopkins line much respect, and no one really knew much about the guy given he was a rookie. Teams study film, and I'm sure most teams prepare to shut the Hopkins line down first and foremost now as the game plan. Much easier to play another teams checking line than their first line. You never have to worry about being score on much with a checking line. Now, they have to worry about shutting another line down and scoring against it. It's a duel edged sword now. They're getting more minutes this year, but that in and of itself isn't a solution. They're expected to be much more responsible defensively this year as it's become a push for the playoffs type of year. I'm not saying they've been worldbeaters in the scoring department, as we all know that's not true. But I believe they'll get better and better as the season goes on.

As for not having a d-man join the play, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Justin Schultz spends most of his shifts jumping into offensive plays, which is something we never had last year.

Last edited by Stoneman89: 02-16-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old
02-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Krueger and the MacT influence. Let's try and make all of our skilled players into Pavel Datsyuk who is a once in 10-15 years type of all around player.

And there we go, yet another fallacy about young players learning about defence and systems will have their offensive games stunted. Not sure what the problem is in trying to develop player's defensive games. They already have huge natural offensive skills. It's tough to get a lot of offensive chances when you're stuck in your own zone and can't get the puck out. Play good defence and a system and the offence will take care of itself.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
And here we go again. I thought someone already posted a chart for you earlier that showed there wasn't a huge difference in time for the 1st line or 2nd line with the Schultz pairing? And yet you continue to use that as an excuse to (once again) pump up Gagner's game.
These are the numbers. You want the same link? They're pulled directly off the SAME site the other poster mentioned. (go to statistics, then toi, then make selections)

http://www.behindthenet.ca/

Fact of the matter is there is differential, and statistically significant differential in the pairings. This is not random matching. What the other poster overlooked, and so did I, is Whitney had been benched 3 games. In the actual games he's played he's been matched with Gagner line quite a lot, as I had observed.

In anycase, and to make it simple as possible, these are the ranked in order D (toi) for the respective centers:

RNH: J Schultz, N Schultz, Smid, Petry, Whitney, Potter. Or in D pairings: 1, 2, 3

Gagner: Petry, Smid, J Schultz, N Schultz, Whitney, Potter. Or in D pairings: 2, 1, 3

See any difference?

Obviously its going to make a difference if RNH is playing alongside the Top D, J Schultz half the time Nuge is on the ice vs Gagner getting him a third of the time.

Basically anybody on ice with J Schultz this year has less GA and for patently obvious reasons.

You can continue to argue but its the correct deduction.

Last edited by Replacement: 02-16-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old
02-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Interesting that you refuse to consider any difference in Qualteam while making a big lot about Qualcomp which as another poster mentioned the matching of which is pretty dependent on opponent matching in road games.

The Oilers have control of who they send out as units in EVERY game. They only have a modicum of control in matching in HOME games.

Yet you consider one more important than the other. Not a rare mistake, but you need to reconsider the flaw in your analysis.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
And there we go, yet another fallacy about young players learning about defence and systems will have their offensive games stunted. Not sure what the problem is in trying to develop player's defensive games. They already have huge natural offensive skills. It's tough to get a lot of offensive chances when you're stuck in your own zone and can't get the puck out. Play good defence and a system and the offence will take care of itself.
Last I checked the first line wasn't scoring because they aren't finishing much of anything. I certainly don't see them all huddling in ownzone all day thus preventing them from having scoring chances and goals. They get chances, they've been very poor at capitalizing. Also not so great at working the puck in dangerous areas. The line actually looks better when Harti is on it.

As far as focus on D preventing offence thats another red herring. Somebody tell Jarri Kurri.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
These are the numbers. You want the same link? They're pulled directly off the SAME site the other poster mentioned. (go to statistics, then toi, then make selections)

http://www.behindthenet.ca/

Fact of the matter is there is differential, and statistically significant differential in the pairings. This is not random matching. What the other poster overlooked, and so did I, is Whitney had been benched 3 games. In the actual games he's played he's been matched with Gagner line quite a lot, as I had observed.

In anycase, and to make it simple as possible, these are the ranked in order D (toi) for the respective centers:

RNH: J Schultz, N Schultz, Smid, Petry, Whitney, Potter. Or in D pairings: 1, 2, 3

Gagner: Petry, Smid, J Schultz, N Schultz, Whitney, Potter. Or in D pairings: 2, 1, 3

See any difference?

Obviously its going to make a difference if RNH is playing alongside the Top D, J Schultz half the time Nuge is on the ice vs Gagner getting him a third of the time.

Basically anybody on ice with J Schultz this year has less GA and for patently obvious reasons.

You can continue to argue but its the correct deduction.

Look, no one on here saying the #1 line doesn't get fed more Schultz than does the #2 line. The point was, and was settled by stats, is that it is not enough of a margin to make a huge difference. What's next, first in line to get skates sharpened?

Old
02-16-2013, 02:16 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

I think we can all admit they aren't producing as much offense as the team would like (at least goals wise) but how many 5v5 goals have they had scored against them?

That's pretty impressive considering the players they've been matched up against.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:32 PM
McClelland

The problem isnt the 1 line, they outshoot and dominate their better opponents, but been unlucky! Do anyone thinks Ebs/hall stays at 7% sh% and thinks Rnh stays scoreless so much longer if they continues outshoot and dominate their opponents.

The rest gets outshot, worse of all Gagner line, and hemsy/yakupov have over 20 in sh%, that together with that they get outshot with little possesion of the puck says that it can be ugly for them when the sh% normalizes.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rati...utes=50&disp=1

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:38 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

About the shots vs distance stats..

I would have no problem with our shot totals if the results spoke for themselves. But when you can barely score 2 a game then the SOG is my first concern.

The Canucks shoot from far out because they deflect a ton of shots. It's one of the reasons they are successful (Defense cannot react). For us we're in close and can't bury the chances. It's pretty much a numbers game at this point. Get the puck to the net and good things happen.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:07 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
Another reason is because teams know they can school the Oilers on a faceoff dot so they don't mind shooting one into the goalies crest for 40 feet out because they know they'll get fresh skaters on and win the draw. We don't have that same luxury.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote