HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News around the NHL

Old
02-13-2013, 09:55 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
That's really bad. This is a potential career changing injury. It looked like an accident, but being it was Cooke I have to wonder.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:00 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Actually something I wondered with watching Isles this year and years past that I thought of bringing up here but decided not too because I wasn't sure how it would be received

Plenty of youth is coming into league on top teams but some of the lower tier teams seem to be loaded with fading vets/average talent blocking some of the youth

Hawks broke Leddy into NHL as a 20 yr old ,, Saad is on our team as 20 yr old rookie this year

I was expecting more of a youth push by Isles in recent years
And meanwhile some people on these Islander boards argue as if it is a proven mathematical formula that a certain amount of rookies in the lineup means 4 years until you make the playoffs, 5 years to actually make any noise, etc...

I suggested having Anders Lee (who is a 22/23 yr old 225 lb man), Brock Nelson (21/22 yrs old, 6'3), and two top 5 overall picks in Ryan Strome and Nino in next year's lineup, and I was almost flogged..... People reply as if it's impossible.. I'd rather have 4 rookies that have earned a spot in the lineup over fading vets...
How has that fading vet formula worked for all you guys the past 15 years????? Not all that good........

It's not like I suggested throwing four 18 year old kids that were just drafted this past draft into the lineup.... Like I said, Lee is the same age as Tavares and built like a beast. Not much more he could accomplish in college hockey. Nelson is 21, will be 22 by next season and very polished. Strome and Nino are having amazing years, so suggesting they make next year's team is not just possible, it is likely....

I didn't say hand them spots.... I fully believe if given the chance, they will earn those spots hands down over the Marty Reasoner/Boulton's of the world... Perhaps even better than Boyes.

The bottom line is we could never sign or trade for a vet with the type of talent of Strome, Nino, Nelson, etc because they just aren't available at a reasonable price... You need to draft those guys..... And there is no formula on how many rookies you can have in the lineup at once.... If they are ready (and that much more talented than a given vet FA anyway), then let them get out there and start their development.

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:10 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
And meanwhile some people on these Islander boards argue as if it is a proven mathematical formula that a certain amount of rookies in the lineup means 4 years until you make the playoffs, 5 years to actually make any noise, etc...
Careful about falling for the Chicago trap. They rose to power on the backs of a young core BUT the difference between them and us is Toews, Kane, Keith, & Seabrook, followed by excellent secondary scoring that has been mostly traded away. They drafted:
1) Top pair of franchise players and they clicked immediately.
2) Top defensive pair with one franchise player & they clicked as well.

We have one 1st line franchise player and Hamonic followed by kids that represent depth. That is always going to fail.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:21 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
This Ryan o'rielly thing is just entertaining.. I was just checking rotoworld for some fantasy news and I saw this bit of information saying ROR felt snubbed when the Avs went with Landeskog for captain:

Quote:
Ryan O'Reilly's relationship with the Colorado Avalanche might have deteriorated when he wasn't named the captain.

O'Reilly is a restricted free agent who is, at this point, far more likely to be traded than to ever play for the Avalanche again. O'Reilly was reportedly hurt when the Avalanche went with Gabriel Landeskog over him. The Denver Post's Adrian Dater stated, "No way do I think O'Reilly's camp would have played such hardball if he'd been named captain." Of course, there were more reasons than the captaincy that led to this current situation. The biggest is likely money. O'Reilly wanted compensation that he felt was fair given his breakout season, while Colorado didn't want to accept that level of financial risk given O'Reilly's far less impressive showings in his previous two campaigns.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/3158/ryan-oreilly

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:13 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Evander Kane says part of the criticism aimed at him, is racially motivated.
I've thought it was because he's brash and many in the Canadian press and many fans, prefer their players come with an 'aw shucks' attitude.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415919
"He did single out Twitter and social media as a place where he's seen a lot of really racist things said about him," Campbell said. "Things that people would say behind the anonymity of a keyboard that they would never say in public."

In a market like Winnipeg where Kane's off-ice actions will draw more attention than they did in Atlanta, fans have at times used Twitter as a way to voice their criticisms directly to Kane himself.

But Campbell warned that criticism has its limits.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Bunk Moreland

Bad news all over the place today as the Canucks announce Manny Malhotra will be done for the rest of the season:

Quote:
"The long term health of Manny Malhotra is of utmost importance to our organization," Canucks president and general manager Mike Gillis said in a statement. "Throughout his career Manny has showcased his indispensability through skilled play, being a consummate professional and leader in the room while also continuously giving back to the community.

"Manny will continue to be a valued member of our organization."

According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, there are deep concerns that Malhotra's eye injury and vision are not at a level to allow him to safely play the game. Malhotra is reportedly not prepared to formally retire at this time.

McKenzie tweeted that he expects Malhotra to function as an unofficial assistant coach for the balance of season, working with players with the Canucks and with Vancouver's AHL affiliate, the Chicago Wolves.
You really hate to see some one get a life changing injury like that, it's not just his career but eye injuries are pretty serious stuff. Gotta feel for the guy...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415994

Old
02-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Bunk Moreland

Islanders players react to Erik Karlsson's injury:

Quote:
“You try not to think about it,” New York Islanders winger Matt Moulson told Sporting News earlier on Thursday. “We’re skating out there, going however fast, and you’ve got these sharp knives on your feet. Sometimes, something unfortunate happens. It’s a scary thing, but as an athlete, you’ve got to put it out of your mind and take the best precautions you can.”

In the case of what happened to Karlsson, that means wearing special, cut-resistant socks. Moulson said he has gone back and forth between wearing them and not, but “when you see something like that, it definitely encourages everyone to wear them.”

“Whenever a skate hits your skin, there’s really not much you can do,” said Matt Carkner, who needed stitches in 2010 after an accident at Senators practice in which he was cut by the skate of Karlsson, whom he called a great friend. “I’ve gotten a couple of skates to the leg, and it does a lot of damage – just a little bit of pressure and it’s enough damage to knock you out for a while. It’s a scary thing for players when they know they’ve been sliced open. It’s not a good feeling.”

Across the visiting locker room at Madison Square Garden, where the Islanders were preparing to face the Rangers on Thursday night, defenseman Brian Strait said that he did not wear the special socks, which prompted Isles captain Mark Streit to offer some free advice: wear the socks.

“I do not, I do not wear them,” Strait said.

“Come on,” Streit replied.

“I don’t know if they even do anything — a pressure cut like that?” Strait said.

“I do,” Streit said. “Yeah.”

“But for a pressure cut like that?” Strait said. “Probably for a slice, it would help.”

“I don’t know,” Streit replied. “I just know that those are cut proof. It probably helps.”

“I’ve got to get them,” Strait said.

Streit noted that the protective socks take a little bit of getting used to, because they are thicker, but he knows that the adjustment is worth it.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...n=jessespector

Old
02-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Moosie

I think I remember Denis Potvin's skate cutting through Rod Langway's boot.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

It would probably cost Okposo & Nino for O'Rielly. To be honest i would be fine with that price.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:59 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinho View Post
It would probably cost Okposo & Nino for O'Rielly. To be honest i would be fine with that price.
Some Avs fans keep insisting that ROR will sign a cheaper, bridge contract if traded. They argue fans should ignore the reports, that he's asking for $5m per.

But Dater, who covers the Avs and Bob McKenzie, both say the number they are hearing from ROR's camp is $5m per.

With Hamonic due a new deal this summer and Moulson due a new deal next summer, I don't see the isles giving 22 yr old ROR $5m per.

I guess Snow could ask the Avs for a window of time, to discuss an extension. It'd be pretty simple to find out his salary demands.

Old
02-14-2013, 04:30 PM
steveat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Bad news all over the place today as the Canucks announce Manny Malhotra will be done for the rest of the season:

You really hate to see some one get a life changing injury like that, it's not just his career but eye injuries are pretty serious stuff. Gotta feel for the guy...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415994
We know all too well what it's like. Remember Berard....That kid had as bright a future as Karlsson. Anyway...hope he gets better..

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:22 PM
RMimagery

Anybody wish we had Montoya as our backup after he shutout the Sens? I rather have him than DP and he can't be making that much.

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:23 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMimagery View Post
Anybody wish we had Montoya as our backup after he shutout the Sens? I rather have him than DP and he can't be making that much.
His cap hit and salary is for $610,000 this year..

http://www.capgeek.com/player/1147

Old
02-16-2013, 02:23 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMimagery View Post
The same Montoya, who after a recent shaky win against the isles, took a backhanded swipe at the isles organization and fan support?

Nah.I thought Montaya got outplayed last season by Nabby and was lucky to find a backup spot this season. I want the isles to buyout RD and turn the page, but I'm not wishing for Montoya back.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:52 AM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
Would you guys want to trade for O'Reilly? Who would you give up for him?
I'd give up Failey in a heartbeat. A change in scenery may do well for him and I think they could really use a guy to try as a second line center or even let him play with Duchene on the wing. Point is i'm ready to cut ties with Failey.

Okposo however I'm not ready to pull the trigger on a trade yet. Yes it could back fire but he is still coming off a career year and is notorious for Jarome Iginla like slow starts but even if he does come through this year he will still be trade worthy I feel. If he has a full crappy season next year however his value will certainly plummet.

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 08:26 AM
crashthenet

not sure where this goes but 3 familiar names to Islander fans mentioned here:

http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/sport...190970901.html

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:42 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashthenet View Post
not sure where this goes but 3 familiar names to Islander fans mentioned here:

http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/sport...190970901.html
I'm surprised those vets, would not choose to play in Europe instead.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Bunk Moreland

That was pretty fast:

Quote:
@NYRangers: the #NYR have recalled @ChrisKreider from @CTWhale
He was sent down Thursday rumor is Nash is banged up..

https://twitter.com/nyrangers/status/302868394926043136

Old
02-16-2013, 08:46 PM
StrongIslanders90

my fellow fans might get a kick out of this...

CGY #1 centre

http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocen...id=DL|CGY|home

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:45 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I'd give up Failey in a heartbeat. A change in scenery may do well for him and I think they could really use a guy to try as a second line center or even let him play with Duchene on the wing. Point is i'm ready to cut ties with Failey.

Okposo however I'm not ready to pull the trigger on a trade yet. Yes it could back fire but he is still coming off a career year and is notorious for Jarome Iginla like slow starts but even if he does come through this year he will still be trade worthy I feel. If he has a full crappy season next year however his value will certainly plummet.
"Failey" has been great since coming back from injury. IMO he's been our best forward outside of that JT line. Not to mention he has higher upside than 90% of anyone in this organization. I'd trade Okposo or even Grabner before I trade Bailey.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...worth-the-hype

Argues O'Reilly is justified in asking 5m

Brain Hemorrhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Bunk Moreland

Blackhawks are good... Scary good.. still haven't lost in regulation that's insane. They get another point in the next game they'll have tied the record for points streak to open a season.. The top 3 other teams went on to win the cup.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:17 PM
seafoam
Players, please

vCash: 395
The Red Wings have put Jan Mursak, a winger, on waivers per LeBrun.

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/with_replies

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1357475

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Bunk Moreland

With a 14-0-3 record the Chicago Blackhawks have set the record for hottest start in NHL history.. The previous top three on the list all went on to win the cup. Pretty impressive considering they're schedule has been no walk in the park.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:24 PM
CREW99AW

We will be getting a visit from Leaf fans soon enough, telling us how great it'd be for Komi to come to LI to play

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/trade..._trade_report/

Mike Komisarek gave #Leafs a list of 12 teams he'd accept a trade to but I'm told he'd pretty much accept a trade anywhere. Wants to play
Andy Strickland (@andystrickland) March 2, 2013

a healthy scratch since Feb. 2, Komisarek has only played in four games this season. He has a $4.5 million cap hit over this year and next.

Even if #Leafs took back 50% of Komisarek salary not sure teams are lining up to take that contract...compliance buyout seems more likely
Andy Strickland (@andystrickland) March 2, 2013