HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Community: Part Four - Community is Back

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

vCash: 500
Now you get it.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:03 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Not now, always. I haven't missed an episode since episode number one. Haven't thought there was a bad episode since then either.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:34 PM
Kloparren
Hth

This one was more disappointing, they coulda done better with a Halloween episode.

The best part was Troy, said some funny stuff. I love that Daybreak is his ringtone. They've made Britta stupid again and are ruining her character.

What I miss is the Witt and the quick back and forths they used to have. The last 3 years, there were 4 tiers of sitcoms: bad, decent-good, solid-great, and Community. Community doesn't stick out as unique anymore, at least not so far.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:53 AM
Trends Analyst
Across the Universe

I thought the premiere was good, but tonight was just.. I dont want to say bad.. It was uninspired.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:39 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Old
02-15-2013, 06:40 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Old
02-15-2013, 02:33 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
The true laugh out loud moments were few and far between for me.

I laughed at:
Troy and the 'swing'
Britta getting Jeff to go into a monologue about his father

That was essentially it. I don't know if it's just me nitpicking this season or if there's a genuine difference, but it seems like the dialogue has lost its fluidity. Tonight I really noticed the camera jumping from close-up to close-up just for characters to deliver a one liner as quickly as possible so they could move on to the next joke. In the past, it seemed like one fluid take, where each line built off the preceding line.

Abed was disappointing tonight, again. He's become a caricature, and his meta joke tonight was awful. 'I remember when this show used to be about a community college.' Felt like it was interjected into the episode just to meet a meta-joke quota, instead of contributing to the plot or dialogue. Probably didn't help that there was no subtlety at all. It was so blunt that it just wasn't funny. They've used this kind of humour right in the past (the season opener where Abed says 'and we're back' is a good example of how to break the 4th wall).

The appearance of Pierce's brother felt sitcom-y. I don't know if it was intentional (ie satire) or not. Just didn't feel like Community.

02-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
I find it hard to believe that 18M+ people watched BBT and 4 M watched Community. Those numbers seem very very off.

I will admit that BBT was fairly solid last night but that show has annoyed me since season 2, I enjoy watching the characters on Community.
I honestly never thought BBT would become the monster that it has. Much less that it is becoming stronger, ratings-wise, by the season.

But I don't deny that it isn't entertaining. Regardless of the lame laugh track complaints.

As for the Community, they scored a series low this week and just barely beat out the Vampire Diaries

NBC being a joke is the only thing that has kept this show afloat.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:44 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Well, the Harmon/****** crowd should like this past episode - classic season three Community.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
I honestly never thought BBT would become the monster that it has. Much less that it is becoming stronger, ratings-wise, by the season.

But I don't deny that it isn't entertaining. Regardless of the lame laugh track complaints.

As for the Community, they scored a series low this week and just barely beat out the Vampire Diaries

NBC being a joke is the only thing that has kept this show afloat.
I completely agree

Old
02-16-2013, 01:29 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Sigh. Community is my favorite show on air and I will continue to watch it until the very end, but seriously...the quality of this season so far is completely inferior from before. Maybe the loss of Dan Harmon was greater then I thought. Though I think some of the blame is the fact that the setting is getting less and less at the actual college. In my opinion, some of the best episodes have been from season 1 where an episode was focused on a particular class. Regardless, the two episodes so far have been worse then the previous non-college setting episodes.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:43 AM
WTFetus

I thought the episode was fine. Felt like a typical Community episode.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:30 AM
snowden
Man is matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I thought the episode was fine. Felt like a typical Community episode.
I agree. Lots of laugh out loud moments. But I do think getting away from the school part makes the episodes less effective.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:17 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
I agree. They should do more school / class stuff again.

Old
02-16-2013, 06:27 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Well, the Harmon/****** crowd should like this past episode - classic season three Community.
****** loved it.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Teemu

The Harmon crowd didn't tune in--ratings dropped very sharply and the series' future is again in doubt.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:11 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
The Harmon crowd didn't tune in--ratings dropped very sharply and the series' future is again in doubt.
That IS the Harmon crowd. Do you think the transsexuals and tumblr artists of ****** number more than 1.1 million? Hardly. They're just the whiny, obnoxiously loud vocal minority that essentially steered the show off the cliff with demands for fan-service and inside jokes.

I've written at length about the problems of Community in the Part Three thread but in short it's all the inside jokes, the professor spacetime, the halloween specials, the god-damned dean, the dumbing down of characters, the post-ironic huggy feel good moments at the end of every episode, the complete lack of self-awareness (or too much self-awareness?)... the show is a parody of itself now but since what it's mocking is so kitschy and lame, the method it parodies itself is even lamer.

Pierce hugging Gus Fring at the end of the last episode was ridiculous on multiple plains.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Quote:
Pierce hugging Gus Fring at the end of the last episode was ridiculous on multiple plains.
The new producers said they want the show to be more "heartfelt." If you watch an episode of Happy Endings, that **** happens at the end of every episode.

It honestly makes you feel like a kid at the end of a TV show like Arthur where they'd try to teach you the moral lesson, worst part of each episode.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:40 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
It was Valentine's Day, did anyone really expect ratings not to fall off for this week? I watch it religiously and I wasn't home for it this week. I wouldn't read too much into that.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Quote:
That IS the Harmon crowd. Do you think the transsexuals and tumblr artists of ****** number more than 1.1 million? Hardly. They're just the whiny, obnoxiously loud vocal minority that essentially steered the show off the cliff with demands for fan-service and inside jokes.

I've written at length about the problems of Community in the Part Three thread but in short it's all the inside jokes, the professor spacetime, the halloween specials, the god-damned dean, the dumbing down of characters, the post-ironic huggy feel good moments at the end of every episode, the complete lack of self-awareness (or too much self-awareness?)... the show is a parody of itself now but since what it's mocking is so kitschy and lame, the method it parodies itself is even lamer.

The guys on ****** are a tough crowd

Make one comment there and get tons of dislikes

Old
02-16-2013, 02:26 PM
discostu

I finally caught up today on this weeks episode. It had some laughs, but, a definite let down.

For some reason, the episode I keep on comparing it to in my head is the UN episode from last year. Both had a silly gimmick going, but that episode had a decent B plot line with Brita and Chang, but, more importantly, while it followed the typical sitcom structure, it threw a distinctive Community twist with the alternative timeline and the whole speech about the UN being about meaningless gestures.

I was waiting for something similar in this episode. You knew that Pierces brother was involved as soon as the show started, but, I was hoping for something unique, not a feel good ending played straight.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:45 PM
BPR*

Not as bad as the first one, but would still be a weak episode compared to the first three. Still on board, but starting to wonder how long that will last.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:47 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
I also definitely had to check my phone when Troy's phone rang, Daybreak's been my ringtone since August haha. Good stuff.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Kitten Mittons

This show needs to have less "awwwww the group loves each other so much" and more random community college stuff. All the inside jokes annoy me - how is someone supposed to get into the show when 95% of the jokes are only understood if you've watched the show before?

Old
02-16-2013, 04:11 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

I went into this episode with low expectations, as I didn't like the opener at all. I thought this episode was decent overall. Some definite negatives in there, but on the whole, I enjoyed it.

Closed Thread