HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Toby Enstrom injury

Old
02-15-2013, 10:55 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
It wasn't a bad hit so, I'm thinking maybe separation or dislocation. It will probably be awhile if its a muscle tear. Shoulder injuries suck, and I would know.

I, in fact, am a doctor.

I went as one for Halloween a few years ago.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:59 PM
MrGrinch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbill2004 View Post
FTY - Collar bone is the exct same thing as the clavicle.
I suggested collarbone in my post as opposed to a completely different injury (eg - dislocated shoulder or elbow, rotator cuff tear, broken wrist, etc). Not really interested in joining the great anatomy debate today...

MrGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:03 PM
TroubaFan1

This injury was a tough one to swallow, especially with just getting Bogo back.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:20 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
It wasn't a bad hit so, I'm thinking maybe separation or dislocation. It will probably be awhile if its a muscle tear. Shoulder injuries suck, and I would know.

I, in fact, am a doctor.

I went as one for Halloween a few years ago.
Cheryl: So, Krieger's a doctor.
Cyril: Not the medical kind!
Krieger: Not even the other kind... technically.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:17 AM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

vCash: 1814
Haven't seen the replay in awhile, but I thought I remembered Toby lifting his left arm as he was hit into the boards, which could be a hyper extension of his shoulder and also down to his oblique. Sooo many possibilities, including compressing his rib cage, as it was exposed to the boards. I injured myself in a similar design. Ended up separating my rib from cartilage in my lower sternum. I can't believe this happened tonight! Just as we get Bogo back FFS!

Kinjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:28 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

If there's one bit of silver lining, it could be Noel forcing one of our righties to play the leftside more often. If we're going to lose and go for a nice draft, we might as well prep our current guys for the future.....

**** I hate this season.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:33 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
If there's one bit of silver lining, it could be Noel forcing one of our righties to play the leftside more often. If we're going to lose and go for a nice draft, we might as well prep our current guys for the future.....

**** I hate this season.
Me too.

Fire everyone!

Old
02-16-2013, 12:42 AM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
Cut it out guys. The clavicle IS the collarbone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clavicle

It's not worth arguing about.
Exactly. Not the shoulder.

fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:42 AM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post

**** I hate this season.
Welcome to Atlanta Thrashers v2.0. Same team, new home.

This will be a good test for Postma. I think he can fill in for Toby on the #1 PP unit. He plays a similar game. Thank the gods Bogosian is back. He looked really good tonight, maybe a little jumpy. We'll see...

fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:06 AM
topcat986*

The Jets need to build orginizational depth to withstand these kind of injurys. But Hey I am just some dude who got crapped on for saying this is the year for them to tank and sell off for long term future

topcat986* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 06:57 AM
HannuJ

vCash: 367
the only clavicle injury someone would have would be a fractured clavicle. that has nothing to do with the shoulder. it's like saying that a torn bicep is a shoulder injury.

in sports, when you talk about a shoulder injury, you are almost refering to the socket. i.e. a dislocation/separation. i'm trying to imagine a situation where someone injured their scapula and I can't.

separated shoulder/rotator cuff = typically cannot rotate your arm in the shoulder socket
clavicle fracture = you will feel it once your arm gets close to being parallel to the ground. also felt when reaching forward.

looking at the replay, it could easily be either. the impact may have caused separation or it could have fractured his clavicle. a guess would be that it is his shoulder. it wasn't that hard of a hit and even if it was his previously-fractured clavicle, the bone would be healed and like new by now. i also assume he had a plate put in.

oh, my resume? health care professional. have studied anatomy. and i've fractured my clavicle i.e. not my shoulder

Last edited by Hammer Slammer: 02-16-2013 at 10:17 AM.
HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:37 AM
Nothing Is New

I want the team to compete hard every game, but its time to be brutally realistic. We are tied for last in the East and we have lost (IMHO) our best player.

Gameplan.

Unless Toby's out for only a couple of games, its time to be thinking 2014 and beyond. First up to move: big, old, slow guys. Let some of the kids get real ice time. Get a high draft pick in the upcoming, excellent, draft crop. Go ahead and play Peluso and teach him hockey skills so we can have his physicality without a penalty. Go to Kane and say: its time for you to become a leader.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:40 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

OK this thread is proff of why the NHL keeps it simple.......can we all agree on this "upper body injury"

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:48 AM
SCP Guy

This is why NHL teams should be forced to release real injury information not his BS lower or upper and day to day or week to week ****

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:56 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
This is why NHL teams should be forced to release real injury information not his BS lower or upper and day to day or week to week ****
I agree. For the Jets there are only 2 types of injuries upper body and lower body, and 2 types of prognosis day to day or week to week. I much prefer the NFL rules to reporting injuries.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:30 AM
sully1410

Well...whenever I've seen people go in for broken collar bones, they don't say you broke your shoulder.

Either way, it's a separation or a dislocation. If he actually broke something...he needs to drink more milk.

And honestly guys...

Who cares? Same **** different pile. This is a board to talk hockey, not the finer points of medicine.

The mods have already warned the pack of us about this subject and how it is getting out of hand, so lets keep it civil and just drop the subject.

Last edited by sully1410: 02-16-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old
02-16-2013, 09:32 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Enstrom while not as severe, is a HUGE loss for the JETS. This will spell a downward spiral for this team. It's not like they weren't on one already, but this will just magnify it.
No, it likely won't. It didn't last year; in fact it is arguable that the Jets played better without him last season when he was injured. Hockey is a team game and no single individual is irreplaceable.

If the Jets continue to struggle it is because they don't have a good enough team on the whole yet, they are lacking talent throughout the lineup. To pin anything on the loss of an individual is a textbook case of missing the bigger picture.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:00 AM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
No, it likely won't. It didn't last year; in fact it is arguable that the Jets played better without him last season when he was injured. Hockey is a team game and no single individual is irreplaceable.

If the Jets continue to struggle it is because they don't have a good enough team on the whole yet, they are lacking talent throughout the lineup. To pin anything on the loss of an individual is a textbook case of missing the bigger picture.
Agreed.

Let's face it we finished 9th last for a reason last year. This was with the unbelievable home atmosphere we had and to be honest just isn't the same this year. We've now lost three in a row at home , play Boston off a loss for them then have 9 of 11 ( I think that is it ) on the road. We could be multiple games under .500 after that , looking up at lots of teams between us the last playoff spot.

IMO if that happens then we are likely to see the direction change. This season seems to be primed for injuries unfortunately and right now assets may have added value which the Jets may take advantage of.

The forwards we have that have some offensive talent seem to be very streaky , that isn't a great thing when you strive to be consistent. We have no C that can distribute the puck well , feed his wingers and make things happen on the PP. Maybe the demotion of Scheifele had more to it than just if he could play ok/decently this year. IMO if it was just that I would have kept him , if it is because we truly are looking at next year ( which is fine as I fully expect we have a definitive plan ) then it makes some sense.

Things may get worse before they get better .

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
Cut it out guys. The clavicle IS the collarbone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clavicle

It's not worth arguing about.
I'm quoting this to the other page. I don't care if the clavicle is or isn't part of the collarbone/shoulder/whateverthehell.

Drop it or I have no problem showing you out of the thread. Carry on.

02-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
I'm quoting this to the other page. I don't care if the clavicle is or isn't part of the collarbone/shoulder/whateverthehell.
Drop it or I have no problem showing you out of the thread. Carry on.
agreed - probably rank as the most inane discussion ever seen on Jets HFboards...

Back in the Bigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Whileee

Not wanting to prolong the fascinating exchange of medical information, here is a clarification of terms.

There are two "joints" at the "shoulder":

1) The glenohumeral joint is a "ball and socket" joint where the humerus (upper arm bone) connects to scapula ("shoulder blade") at the glenoid cavity ("socket"). A number of injuries can affect that region, with perhaps the most common sports injury being a subluxation (or "dislocation"). That happens when the humerus ("ball") dislocates out of the socket. This often comes with some tearing of connective tissue, and can become a chronic problem.

2) The acroclavicular joint is where the clavicle ("collar" bone) connects to the acromion of the scapula. This is a "fixed" joint for overall stability, with the end of the clavicle ("collar" bone) tethered tightly to the acromion (at the "shoulder") by strong ligaments. A common injury at this joint occurs in contact sports when the trauma causes the ligaments to tear and the joint "separates". This is often called a "separated shoulder", and comes in degrees (from a complete separation, where ligaments are completed torn to lower grades where they are partially torn). Another injury is a fracture of the clavicle ("collar" bone) where trauma causes the strong bone to fracture ("broken collar bone").

Beyond these types of injuries, the upper arm bone (humerus) can also sometimes fracture.

Here's a picture to help folks think this through...

But perhaps we should just leave it at "upper body injury", for simplicity.

Last edited by Whileee: 02-16-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:36 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

JETS AWAITING MRI RESULTS ON D ENSTROM'S SHOULDER

www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416156

and so we wait....

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:36 AM
jetkarma

So , with all the injury debate , is there agreement that he is prone to injuries?

Old
02-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Duir
Registered Bunk

TSN article: JETS AWAITING MRI RESULTS ON D ENSTROM'S SHOULDER

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416156

Hope this isn't bad....

Duir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:43 AM
jetkarma

Noel said week to week initially so that tells me they know it is at least semi significant . We'll see , disheartening to see that last years injury and this one were from clean relatively soft hits.