HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Karlsson Injured Part III [YT#1] Lacerated Achilles, Surgery Required, Out Indef.

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Oiled up*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Durbano View Post
This is comical. Matt Cooke has played like a lobotomized grandpa since the suspension. He barely will go into a corner for fear of being thrown out of the league.

So naturally, he's going to shiv one of the best players in the NHL?

Sorry, not buying it.
QFT
Cooke is not the same player he was a few years back.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:22 AM
3rdLiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Durbano View Post
This is comical. Matt Cooke has played like a lobotomized grandpa since the suspension. He barely will go into a corner for fear of being thrown out of the league.

So naturally, he's going to shiv one of the best players in the NHL?

Sorry, not buying it.
You're right this is a problem, he should have already been thrown out of the league.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:24 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: FYI as per CBA, Matt Cooke no longer considered a repeat offender for purposes of calculating forfeited salary resulting from suspensions, CBA rule is that repeat offender status is reset if there's no suspension in 18 months. Cooke was last suspended in March 2011... (Con't) ,Obviously that doesn't mean B. Shanahan wouldn't consider Cooke's past if something were to happen again. Just passing on the CBA info ...
Per Lebrun, not even considered a repeat offender

Old
02-16-2013, 10:30 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
And if he does it again next week he wont be a repeat offender either because this was just an "unfortunate accident".

Old
02-16-2013, 10:31 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourqueStevens View Post
You're right this is a problem, he should have already been thrown out of the league.
Who would have the authority to do this based on what he has actually been suspended for, not just fan hate?

Old
02-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Steve Durbano

Quote:
Todd Bertuzzi says hello.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:33 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Who would have the authority to do this based on what he has actually been suspended for, not just fan hate?
The people who decide what he should be suspended for, or someone who accidentally gets caught up with him during a hockey play and unfortunately injures him and ends his career.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:33 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
The people who decide what he should be suspended for.
Then why wasn't he...thrown out of the league, that is?

Old
02-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
At this point I'm most angry at the officials, the puck went out of play about 10 seconds before the injury and out of 4 those ****ers, not one even sees it and it ends up with Karlsson out for the season. Just another day watching the NHL with game and season changing no calls happening everyday.
Agree. Anything that happens from this point forward comes back to this blown call. Specifically, those 4 officials are responsible for any accident involving any player replacing Karlsson; or in fact anyone that saw or heard about the incident, or not, doing anything that they might not have done otherwise if the Universe had continued to unfold as it should have, if not for the incompetence of those 4 on that play... they are to blame. I'm going to sue them myself for an accident that happened last week...the causality is somewhat convoluted, but I think I have a case.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:36 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Then why wasn't he...thrown out of the league, that is?
Quote:
round and round we go.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:40 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
round and round we go.
No, I'll end it.

Because the powers that be have more insight than you do. Or I do. Or anyone else on this message board does.

They get paid to make expert decisions based on all the relevant information, not just some fan's whining about what should or should not take place.

They are the experts, they have played the game, they have been involved at a high level, they have the knowledge and contacts to make informed, intelligent decisions.

You, on the other hand, do not.

There, the merry go round can stop now.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:44 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
You're oversimplifying it. He is no longer considered a repeat offender when looking at forfeited salary from a suspension. The last sentence states clearly that the terms of the CBA do not limit his ability to consider Cooke's past in the event he does something else worthy of suspension. Salary forfeiture is a part of the CBA. Saying simply that he is "not even considered a repeat offender" is misleading at best.

02-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper View Post
Do you ever see players getting suspended for accidental high sticks?
Matt Calvert lifts up Pierre Marc Bouchard's stick and gets hit in the face. PMB suspended for 2 games.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:46 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Matt Calvert lifts up Pierre Marc Bouchard's stick and gets hit in the face. PMB suspended for 2 games.
YT please, would love to judge that for myself.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:55 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
No, I'll end it.

Because the powers that be have more insight than you do. Or I do. Or anyone else on this message board does.

They get paid to make expert decisions based on all the relevant information, not just some fan's whining about what should or should not take place.

They are the experts, they have played the game, they have been involved at a high level, they have the knowledge and contacts to make informed, intelligent decisions.

It won't end. People are not able to view this objectively and it makes them look like whining babies (aka Sens owner).

Old
02-16-2013, 10:55 AM
JMiller

Quote:
YT please, would love to judge that for myself.
Why would you want to do that? To quote someone who's opinion you deeply respect . . .

Quote:

. . . the powers that be have more insight than you do. Or I do. Or anyone else on this message board does.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Why would you want to do that? To quote someone who's opinion you deeply respect . . .
..round...and...round...and....round....and....rou nd....

Old
02-16-2013, 11:07 AM
3rdLiner

Quote:
No, I'll end it.

He has been suspended 4x, should be 5 if Bettman wasn't such a moron. They literally created an entire suspension review process and implemented a full new set of rules spurred by his actions.

Yet he still did not stop and was suspended for an entire playoff series. He should have just been tossed from the league and if he ever throws another hit like Savard or McDonagh I really hope that he does receive a ban.

You're right nobody had the authority to do it when he his cheapshotting ways were at their most prominent. But now they should have that ability and I would hope if it continues for him that he will no longer have a place in the league.

Let me ask you, would you rather have a league with a healthy Marc Savard and health Erik Karlsson or a league with Matt Cooke?

Old
02-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
He has been suspended 4x, should be 5 if Bettman wasn't such a moron. They literally created an entire suspension review process and implemented a full new set of rules spurred by his actions.

Yet he still did not stop and was suspended for an entire playoff series. He should have just been tossed from the league and if he ever throws another hit like Savard or McDonagh I really hope that he does receive a ban.

You're right nobody had the authority to do it when he his cheapshotting ways were at their most prominent. But now they should have that ability and I would hope if it continues for him that he will no longer have a place in the league.

Let me ask you, would you rather have a league with a healthy Marc Savard and health Erik Karlsson or a league with Matt Cooke?
Seriously, what kind of question is that? would have rather had a healthy 87 for two years, or a league with David Steckl?

Old
02-16-2013, 11:12 AM
3rdLiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
Seriously, what kind of question is that? would have rather had a healthy 87 for two years, or a league with David Steckl?
Its not like Steckl has wrap sheet the length of a country mile.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:13 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Agreed, though since I am not a fan of Matt Cooke or the Senators/Bruins (though I did grow up a Pens fan) I think I can honestly say that having a league without Cooke, Savard or Karlsson wouldn't really phase me all too much.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:13 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Having lived in the country I can report that a country mile is no longer than any other mile.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
But what Steckl and Cooke do have in common is that they took out a star as a consequence of what is generally acknowledged to be an accident and a hockey play--and many people have a problem with that.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:19 AM
3rdLiner

Quote:
But what Steckl and Cooke do have in common is that they took out a star as a consequence of what is generally acknowledged to be an accident and a hockey play--and many people have a problem with that.
If you read my prior post I do say that there is no way he could have planned that to happen. I dont think he was trying to hurt Karlsson, he was trying to do what a good grinder does and make the other teams players pay every chance you get. This play just went horribly wrong.

My issue is just with the amount of people defending this guy tooth to nail. He played one year without trying to kill someone as if thats something people should be impressed with rather than the norm.

Additionally the reason this is getting soo much attention is because Cooke is Cooke. It just fits the perfect criteria of all of his previous transgressions.

1) Star Player Injured
2) "Normal hockey play"
3) Cooke is responsible

With his history and this incident meeting all of the above criteria there is no reason to expect people to look the other way and this is no one elses fault but Cooke's himself.

Whats done is done I'm sure Cooke will get his eventually.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
If you read my prior post I do say that there is no way he could have planned that to happen. I dont think he was trying to hurt Karlsson, he was trying to do what a good grinder does and make the other teams players pay every chance you get. This play just went horribly wrong.

My issue is just with the amount of people defending this guy tooth to nail. He played one year without trying to kill someone as if thats something people should be impressed with rather than the norm.

Additionally the reason this is getting soo much attention is because Cooke is Cooke. It just fits the perfect criteria of all of his previous transgressions.

1) Star Player Injured
2) "Normal hockey play"
3) Cooke is responsible

With his history and this incident meeting all of the above criteria there is no reason to expect people to look the other way and this is no one elses fault but Cooke's himself.

Whats done is done I'm sure Cooke will get his eventually.
I'm not defending him, I'm just saying that most people assert the play was unfortunate and an accident--like Steckl's hit on Sid. Although I am a Pens fan, I could handle the concept that sometimes crap happens in a hockey game when Sid went down.

Closed Thread