HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Andy

vCash: 500
A History of Violence 7/10
-Very slow, sometimes awkward. Didn't like the way everything was resolved. Just ended. Weird.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred50 View Post
The Queen of Versailles - 8/10

Was expecting this documentary to be sort of a "Real Housewives of..." knock-off and it certainly starts out that way - but damn, it gets pretty good halfway through as they have to deal (or not deal) with the financial crisis of 2008. I didn't really know the Siegel story and the building of the largest home in America, etc. so it was all new to me.

Pretty interesting - but disturbing.
Very good movie, so underrated, more people should see it.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:40 PM
FireBylsma
Palmebjörk & Doktorn

vCash: 50
Wangan Midnight - 8.7/10

Really good racing movie, might be the movie have seen who is based on a comic.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:13 AM
Thunderhead

Spider Forest 7/10

Old
02-17-2013, 05:54 AM
Thunderhead

Three... Extremes (2004)
Saam gaang yi (original title) 7.5/10

Old
02-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Andy

rise of the planet of the apes 5/10
What an awful movie. Crappy dialogue. James Franco is such a bad actor, not just in this movie, but in every movie I've seen. Nothing seems natural when he acts.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Philly85
Moody'

^^^ I find he's terrible in dramas but good in comedies.

Life Is But A Dream - 5/10

"self indulgent tripe" are the first words that come to mind, this is a documentary on the life of Beyonce over the past 2.5 years or so, produced and directed by her go figure. Pretty pointless.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:29 PM
SB164

The more I think about it, the more I realize that The Master may just be my favourite film of 2012. Just steeped in symbolism.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Starsfan24
Drunkkkkk

The Final (2010) 6/10

Typical horror movie. Good message though about bullying and what it can do.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
The more I think about it, the more I realize that The Master may just be my favourite film of 2012. Just steeped in symbolism.
There are a few movies that I started thinking I might put over The Master this year. But then just THINKING about The Master puts it back in first place, let alone seeing the film again.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:50 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
There are a few movies that I started thinking I might put over The Master this year. But then just THINKING about The Master puts it back in first place, let alone seeing the film again.
Would you agree that most of Freddie's problems more or less stems from the Oedipus Complex? The story of his "aunt" Bertha (who may or may not be his mother in fact), the man at the farm who reminds him of his father (and next thing you know, he's having to run away). Even the British woman towards the end has the physique of a...middle-aged motherly figure. Also, I believe Amy Adams' character is pregnant throughout the film. It can't all just be a coincidence, right?

Last edited by SB164: 02-17-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old
02-17-2013, 04:57 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

vCash: 50
Detachment - 8.3/10

I've watched this film over and over again, and each time I find myself more impressed with Adrien Brody's performance. The only problem I had was the scene with the cupcakes.. I found it to be so predictable that it lost it's meaning.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Would you agree that most of Freddie's problems more or less stems from the Oedipus Complex? The story of his "aunt" Bertha (who may or may not be his mother in fact), the man at the farm who reminds him of his father (and next thing you know, he's having to run away). Even the British woman towards the end has the physique of a...middle-aged motherly figure. Also, I believe Amy Adams' character is pregnant throughout the film. It can't all just be a coincidence, right?

I think Freddie's problems come from a multitude of places, but you might not be too far off. I think the war took a toll on him, his alcoholism is destroying him (but that seems to be a byproduct of a bigger problem). I don't think his Aunt Bertha is his mother, because when he's being processed, and being very truthful (for what we know), when asked where his aunt is right now, he says, "I don't know, maybe home". But when he's asked where his mother is, he says the looney bin. If this is true, his mothers mental state is probably something that ways on him, as I think he is conscious of his own problems, which makes him all the more sad and wretched.

On that note, I keep returning to the beginning of that processing, when they first start, and Dodd's first question is "Do you spend much time thinking how insignificant you are?" Freddie answers no at first, but when they start again more intensely, with the eyes open, and Dodd leads off with the same question, Freddie answers "Yes". I think Phoenix there is so sad, just for that moment. The only moment where he seems more sad is when Dodd is singing to him at the end (a scene where his reaction alone would be grounds to give him an Oscar).

Old
02-17-2013, 05:42 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
I think Freddie's problems come from a multitude of places, but you might not be too far off. I think the war took a toll on him, his alcoholism is destroying him (but that seems to be a byproduct of a bigger problem). I don't think his Aunt Bertha is his mother, because when he's being processed, and being very truthful (for what we know), when asked where his aunt is right now, he says, "I don't know, maybe home". But when he's asked where his mother is, he says the looney bin. If this is true, his mothers mental state is probably something that ways on him, as I think he is conscious of his own problems, which makes him all the more sad and wretched.

On that note, I keep returning to the beginning of that processing, when they first start, and Dodd's first question is "Do you spend much time thinking how insignificant you are?" Freddie answers no at first, but when they start again more intensely, with the eyes open, and Dodd leads off with the same question, Freddie answers "Yes". I think Phoenix there is so sad, just for that moment. The only moment where he seems more sad is when Dodd is singing to him at the end (a scene where his reaction alone would be grounds to give him an Oscar).
If it were up to me, I'd give the Oscar to both Phoenix and Hoffman based on that "Processing" scene alone. The unpredictability of Phoenix and the controlled manner in which Hoffman delivered (looking almost effortless, the very definition of a "pro") was quite amazing. I really wonder how Paul Thomas Anderson even managed to tame Phoenix on set, he was like a bull in a china shop.

One thing to remember about Freddie is that despite his sudden, violent outbursts, we never see him become violent against women. In fact, he seems almost foolish and childish around them.

That first question - "Do you spend much time thinking how insignificant you are?" - just shows you the manipulative ways of Lancaster Dodd (a name which incidentally kind of sounds like "God.") He knows the answer, it's the "insignificant" he's trying to convert. Question is, is Freddie simply his "first guinea pig" or something more, like a soulmate of sorts?

And finally, there's a great line by Hoffman towards the end, when he tells Freddie that in the next life, they shall be "mortal enemies." That line stuck with me. Maybe they're too incompatible, bound to destroy one another instead of helping each other. Any ideas?

Last edited by SB164: 02-17-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old
02-17-2013, 06:51 PM
le_sean

Quote:
It was mentioned in another thread on the film that it's possibly about the Id (Freddie), Ego (Lancaster) and Super-ego (Peggy). Your thoughts on the Oedipus Complex might not be too far off, as these are all Freudian schools of thought.

I'm going to have to watch it again. These Freudian theories make some sense, but the problem I have is that it's much too subtle. I shouldn't have to just randomly theorize psychoanalysis as the point of the film, as it's never really alluded to. One really needs to dig deep for these connections. And if that's truly the underlying theme of the film, why the Scientology nonsense? Was that necessary to a character-based film?

That said, it was beautifully shot and wonderfully acted. I just think PTA is really reaching with the material. There Will Be Blood was a superior film.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:58 AM
Thunderhead

The Uninvited Guest (2004)
El habitante incierto (original title) 7/10

Old
02-18-2013, 11:11 AM
abe jr

vCash: 1000
The Art of Flight- 8/10

snowboarding documentary

Old
02-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen 7.5/10
Promised Land 7/10
Wreck-It Ralph 7.5/10
Seven Psychopaths 7.5 10
Kon-Tiki 8/10

Old
02-18-2013, 07:07 PM
kihei

vCash: 0

Berberian Sound Studio (2012), directed by Peter Strickland: Gilderoy, a British sound technician (Toby Jones), travels to Italy to assist a patronizing sound editor and a pompous auteur director on a horror movie that they are making (actually the director insists that it is not really a horror movie as he is above creating such things). However, just looking at the images for which he is helping to construct sound effects drives our timid technician to the breaking point. Cleverly Strickland never shows the audience the images that are disturbing Gilderoy—we only see their increasingly destabalizing effect on him. The film only rarely leaves the sound studio, and the machinery and materials of sound editing provide most of the striking visuals. Berberian Sound Studio comes up with a clever post-modern approach to the horror genre, has style to burn and is blessed with a first rate performance by the dependable Jones. But its central flaw is a major one. It lacks any semblance of a lucid story. Its third act might be likened to something that David Lynch would come up with on a really bad day. It’s unfortunate really. The movie goes a long way toward creating something fresh, but then Strickland just lets his work wither on the vine for lack of plausible or, for that matter, coherent plot development.

Last edited by kihei: 02-18-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old
02-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Gorgeous George

Argo - 8.5/10

Great movie. Not a huge Affleck fan historically, but the story and the way it was filmed really brought you into the movie.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:48 PM
Philly85
Moody'

American Reunion - 7/10

Looper - 9/10

Old
02-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Thunderhead

The Ordeal (2004) 7.5/10

Disturbing to say the least. Worst than a fking nighmare.

The Collector (1965)
119 min - Drama | Thriller - 17 June 1965 (USA)

(the book inspired one of the worst US serial killer , Leonard Lake)

Old
02-19-2013, 04:13 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
X-Men: First Class, 7/10.

I consider this film to be the best Marvel film ever produced. It had excitement, good acting, a solid script, well-executed story, and most importantly, cool powers/mutations. I would say there was a lot to take away from it, both good and bad.

Let's start with the good.

1) The rift between Magneto and Prof. X is well documented in the comics, and I thought Marvel did a good job here. Though, the events happened quite differently, namely, that is not how Prof. X becomes paralyzed, the philosophic difference between the two was perfect: Magneto wants to protect all mutants even if at the cost of humans, while Prof. X wants to protect all mutants but not at the cost of human life. Good for Marvel on hitting this point.

2) The casting of Magneto and Prof. X. Both were fantastic, and I really got into their characters from the film. Both carried the story, as their characters are meant to carry the entire comic series. Good job here.

3) Some of the action sequences/mutations were top class. This was a major difference, for me, as Marvel usually goes in that other direction of cheesy and PG.

Now, let's get to the bad.

1) Mystique, as a character, was god awful in this. Incorrect story-line. Caring about her appearance. Lack of powers. Just completely wrong. If you follow her, she's actually meant to be as much of a leader as Magneto, but instead she was treated as some kind of immature child.

2) That CIA Agent. Incredibly hot, but she's suppose to be a geneticist. This may seem minor, but it's not. She is part of the reason Prof. X becomes who is he is, as they meet in college and fall in love. She later breaks his heart by marrying someone else, which causes him to search through life for a new meaning. He leaves and travels around the world searching for a purpose. This new meaning becomes helping people, hence his link to mutants, and why he has that philosophic difference between Magneto.

3) The group of X-men they chose was completely incorrect. I don't actually know what they were thinking here, but I assume there had to be some reason. What they chose was not the original X-Men. And since this film was called "First Class", I thought they'd get this correct. But, it came painful to see Scott's brother, but not Scott himself, since you know, he becomes Prof. X's star pupil of the academy. For the record, this group was suppose to be: Marvel Girl, Cyclops, Beast, Iceman, and Angel.

Overall, as I said above, a job well done.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:44 PM
kihei

vCash: 0

The Berlin File
(2013), directed by Ryoo Seung-Wan: In contemporary Berlin, North Korean and South Korean secret agents try to outsmart one another in this sometimes entertaining espionage flick that almost nostalgically recalls Cold War thrillers of years gone by. While the North Korean bad guy is definitely up to no good, it is sometimes very difficult to figure out just what the North Korean good guy thinks he is doing, and the South Korean operatives seem as confused as the audience. Then there are the repreresentatives of the Israeli secret service, the CIA, and the Arabs who are all part of the heavy traffic of groups with a vested interest in the goings-on (given the movie's setting, it seems downright odd that no German secret agents ever appear in the movie, but best to just let that omission pass without further fuss). Unfortunately, the twists and turns never lead to an understandable resolution, which is a real problem. Still, the action sequences and fight scenes are done so well that the movie kept me interested anyway. Indeed, one character's long, painful fall through a maze of hanging wires is as spectacular to watch as it must have been painful to endure. On the whole, The Berlin File is a decidedly mixed bag, one of those frustrating movies that I wanted to be better than it was. The necessary ingredients were there for a clever thriller, but something most certainly seems to have gotten lost in translation.

subtitles

Last edited by kihei: 02-19-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old
02-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Thunderhead

I Stand Alone (1998)
Seul contre tous (original title) 7.5/10

Gaspar Noé flick. You can't go wrong.

Closed Thread