HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things NYC (Tourist Stuff, Events)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-10-2006, 01:31 PM
  #26
NYRangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
if you like music concertjoe.com has all NYCs concerts (MSG to small bars)

Lots of cool bars, just start walking and you'll find one.

NYRangers is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 01:31 PM
  #27
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bletchley View Post
Take the tube to Wall Street too. It's awesome down there....Gordon Gekko! Also, rub the Wall Street Bull's horn for good luck.
Yes, but don't call it the tube - it's the subway. If you ask a NYer where the tube is, they will have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 01:36 PM
  #28
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangerFan View Post

1) Schedule some time just to meander. One of the great things about NY is the neighborhoods - the Upper West Side, the West Village, the Lower East Side and SoHo are all really good, varied choices for this. In addition, I HIGHLY recommend walking over the Brooklyn Bridge - the views on the Bridge itself are great and there are some great neighborhoods on the Brooklyn side (Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Cobble Hill, Prospect Heights), however you may want to avoid rambling in Brooklyn if you don't have a native to guide you, because it is fairly easy to get disoriented. Definitely do the Bridge itself, though.
hmm, question for you brooklyn-ites. i just went to grimaldi's the other day and walked down to the pier next to the river cafe. it was absolutely gorgeous. now what is this area technically known as? I've read some things saying its DUMBO and some other saying its downtown Brooklyn.

Also, Grimaldi's is way too touristy and busy for me. Do you have any other suggestions for good, normal pizzerias in Brooklyn? I live in the city but would love to find a nice place or two I could visit often in BK. Any romantic spots?

Anthony Mauro is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 01:52 PM
  #29
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance View Post
hmm, question for you brooklyn-ites. i just went to grimaldi's the other day and walked down to the pier next to the river cafe. it was absolutely gorgeous. now what is this area technically known as? I've read some things saying its DUMBO and some other saying its downtown Brooklyn.

Also, Grimaldi's is way too touristy and busy for me. Do you have any other suggestions for good, normal pizzerias in Brooklyn? I live in the city but would love to find a nice place or two I could visit often in BK. Any romantic spots?
That is DUMBO. Back before it became hip, it didn't really have it's own name and was called Downtown, even though it's fairly far away from what people really think of as Downtown. Downtown is a fairly small area that I would say has the following boundaries: Atlantic Ave., Flatbush Ave., Tillary St. and Court St. - it contains a lot of City and Borough offices (Bd of Ed headquarters for instance), the courts, Brooklyn Law School and has that schlocky mall on Fulton St. Pretty much every neighborhood around it has gotten nicer, but it's still kinda grimy.

As to your request, three important questions/points:

1) What trains are you near?

2) What's your budget?

3) Please confirm that you're thinking more gourmet/brick oven pizza, 'cause while there're plenty of good standard-greasy-pie joints, no need to come to Brooklyn for 'em.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 02:17 PM
  #30
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangerFan View Post
That is DUMBO. Back before it became hip, it didn't really have it's own name and was called Downtown, even though it's fairly far away from what people really think of as Downtown. Downtown is a fairly small area that I would say has the following boundaries: Atlantic Ave., Flatbush Ave., Tillary St. and Court St. - it contains a lot of City and Borough offices (Bd of Ed headquarters for instance), the courts, Brooklyn Law School and has that schlocky mall on Fulton St. Pretty much every neighborhood around it has gotten nicer, but it's still kinda grimy.

As to your request, three important questions/points:

1) What trains are you near?

2) What's your budget?

3) Please confirm that you're thinking more gourmet/brick oven pizza, 'cause while there're plenty of good standard-greasy-pie joints, no need to come to Brooklyn for 'em.
thanks alot for the help.

1) i'm near the 1/9 train, west side...but I could easily get to the letters. in fact, i want to visit that pier again, so I figure I need to get on the C if I'm not mistaken.

2) not sure if this is what you mean in budget. like 2.50 a slice, 16-18 a pie, 6-8 for sandwiches. i guess just average, nothing too high but not expecting it to be bottom dollar cheap either.

3) yes, gourmet/brick oven would be best. also if you don't mind, any notable bakeries?

just trying to find some meaningful places to visit in brooklyn and get to know the area at the same time. from the looks of downtown brooklyn it seems like a lovely place. (barring the bed-stuy types here and there)

Anthony Mauro is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 02:29 PM
  #31
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yizee View Post
my suggestion is stay away from new york city it's all trash and not a tourist area whatsoever - you want a vacation go to florida... if you like homeless people and trashy looking buildings then I guess new york city is for you - I'm not trying to sound like john rocker I'm just saying what I saw on my trip to new york city - only the inside of madison square garden was the only nice part of new york
And you are from where?Fortunately,the millions of people from all over the world don't share your opinion.Florida?Wasn't that the state where tourists in rental cars were targeted by hoodlums looking to rip people off

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 02:32 PM
  #32
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,457
vCash: 500
The pizza places I know...

are a hike, or just a pain to get to, like L&B, which is on 86th street (I forget which train goes there - perhaps the D). There's Di Fara's, which is on avenue J. Again, a pain to get to. There's Tontonno's on Stillwell Avenue, which is a block from Coney Island. I also like Sorrentino's on 65th street, again, a pain to get to. Joe's of Bleecker on 7th avenue is good, but you'd be better off going to Joe's on Bleecker...on Bleecker. I also like Lorenzo's Cafe on Court Street - which is in a place that looks like a diner.And there's La Villa, which has decent pizza and is on 5th avenue, not too far from the R/M train stop. In fact, all the places I've mentioned are pretty much in a dump-like area, except for L&B, which does have outdoor seating, but in the Summertime you may wait 45 minutes for pizza (La Villa's a pretty nice place - wouldn't come close to calling it romantic, but it's clean and new looking - not sure it's worth the travel, although on a nice day, 5th avenue's not so bad - and if you're lucky, you may get a seat outisde the Gate to drink a beer).

Fletch is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 02:32 PM
  #33
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77 View Post
First the Messier bashing, now this. Go back to Jersey.
He is from Jersey?

As Phil told Johnny Sack after Sack told Phil that Tony was the boss of a family

Phil to Johnny Sack "Jersey?It doesn't count"

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 02:36 PM
  #34
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,457
vCash: 500
Can't help with bakeries...

there is, of course, Junior's for cheese cake. I go out the avenue N off Flatbush for fresh Italian bread (can't remember the name of the place, but it's next to La Torre, a pork store). 18 avenue has a really good bakery, around 65th street too, I just don't remember the name. My grandmother swore by Luigi Alba on New Utrecht, but I'm not even sure it's around. Magnolia in the Village is a great bakery.

Fletch is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 02:50 PM
  #35
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
there is, of course, Junior's for cheese cake. I go out the avenue N off Flatbush for fresh Italian bread (can't remember the name of the place, but it's next to La Torre, a pork store). 18 avenue has a really good bakery, around 65th street too, I just don't remember the name. My grandmother swore by Luigi Alba on New Utrecht, but I'm not even sure it's around. Magnolia in the Village is a great bakery.
The Italian bakery who are talking about is 18th Avenue Bakery located on 18th between 60th and 61st streets.Excellent bread.Good pastries

If you are talking about the Alba on 18th avenue and 71st street,that closed about two years ago

For pizza,Da Vinci on 18th between 65th and 66st street.Pizza.Round.Square.White Slices.Mushrooms.Calzones.Spinash roll.Very clean.No violations from the health dept

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 02:58 PM
  #36
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance View Post
thanks alot for the help.

1) i'm near the 1/9 train, west side...but I could easily get to the letters. in fact, i want to visit that pier again, so I figure I need to get on the C if I'm not mistaken.

2) not sure if this is what you mean in budget. like 2.50 a slice, 16-18 a pie, 6-8 for sandwiches. i guess just average, nothing too high not expecting it to be bottom dollar cheap either.

3) yes, gourmet/brick oven would be best. also if you don't mind, any notable bakeries?
Well, Grimaldi's is going to be the only place near those parks/piers on the East River that fits that bill. If you just want romantic, but not necessarily pizza, the River Cafe (actually at the end of the street that Grimaldi's is on) is a great choice for the views alone, but it's pretty darned expensive - this is a suggestion for special occasions only. http://brooklyn.citysearch.com/profi...iver_cafe.html

As for other pizza places, I would suggest a place called Franny's on the border of Park Slope and Prospect Heights - Flatbush Avenue between Prospect Place and St. Marks Place (easiest by subway is the 2,3 to Bergen St. and then walk a block and a half). It's a real restaurant and more expensive than you suggested (they don't do by the slice, you sit down and order individual pies, which are good for one or two, depending on appetite) but more than worth it - best gourmet pizza in NY in my opinion. More info here: http://brooklyn.citysearch.com/profi.../franny_s.html

As for other restaurants, others may have specific suggestions, but there are two really hopping drags for bars and restaurants that I know, 5th Avenue in the Slope and Smith Street in Brooklyn Heights (actually, I think Smith St. is technically in Boerum Hill, but most people don't know that neighborhood and it's close enough that it doesn't matter). There are tons and tons of good places on both. One thing I've enjoyed on occasion is walking over the Bridge and then making my way about 6 or 7 blocks through Downtown (or you can detour up through the Heights for a prettier walk) to a French place on the corner of Dean and Smith that has outdoor seating - perfect for a lovely spring afternoon/evening.


Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 07-10-2006 at 03:10 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 03:10 PM
  #37
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest
 
BigCanada77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,817
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
He is from Jersey?

As Phil told Johnny Sack after Sack told Phil that Tony was the boss of a family

Phil to Johnny Sack "Jersey?It doesn't count"
I dont know, that was just my guess lol.


I have really lost track of the good bakeries, unfortunately.

BigCanada77 is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 03:26 PM
  #38
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,457
vCash: 500
Smith Street actually runs...

through Carrol Gardens and Boerum Hill, I believe, and goes through Red Hook, but doesn't go through the Heights, which is a couple block northwest, just across Court Street.

Thanks Rangerboy - it was actually on New Utrecht. I think there's a few Alba's.

Fletch is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 03:32 PM
  #39
ftyutin51
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Huntington Bay, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,733
vCash: 500
Yizee, go back to wherever you're from and stay there. Especially if you're from New Jersey. We don't need any more people from NJ who can't drive and clog up traffic.


Last edited by Draft Guru: 07-10-2006 at 07:12 PM. Reason: offensive
ftyutin51 is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 03:53 PM
  #40
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
through Carrol Gardens and Boerum Hill, I believe, and goes through Red Hook, but doesn't go through the Heights, which is a couple block northwest, just across Court Street.
Hahaha - Good call. If you look back at my post I edited it about 10/15 minutes before you wrote this for the very purpose of clearing up that confusion. And actually, technically speaking I'm not sure if the neighborhood NW of that great run on Smith St. is actually the Heights either - it's on the wrong side of Atlantic so doesn't that make it Cobble Hill? (So maybe I didn't do such a good job of clearing up the confusion... ) Still, it's easily walkable from the Heights and many of the patrons come from there.

Isn't there a phenomenal bakery somewhere on 5th Avenue in the Slope/South Slope?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 04:09 PM
  #41
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,457
vCash: 500
On 5th avenue?

I don't know of many there. Good bars and decent restaurants, sure, but bakeries I'm unaware of.

Come to think of it, I'm not too sure where the Heights limit actually are. I've always thought just off Court is where it is, down by Montague, etc., on the north side of Atlantic. I dunno - I generally avoid the area - just too congested for me (I do like heading to Columbia where there's a really good BBQ place called Jake's - love going there for take-out and going next door for a couple pints, where there's a great view of the City, and an Ok Mexican restaurant I haven't been to in about four years called Alma, again with great City views and rooftop seating).

Fletch is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 04:14 PM
  #42
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I don't know of many there. Good bars and decent restaurants, sure, but bakeries I'm unaware of.

Come to think of it, I'm not too sure where the Heights limit actually are. I've always thought just off Court is where it is, down by Montague, etc., on the north side of Atlantic. I dunno - I generally avoid the area - just too congested for me (I do like heading to Columbia where there's a really good BBQ place called Jake's - love going there for take-out and going next door for a couple pints, where there's a great view of the City, and an Ok Mexican restaurant I haven't been to in about four years called Alma, again with great City views and rooftop seating).
Might be further out on 5th - not sure. Just sticks in my head for some reason.

I'm fairly certain the borders of the Heights are Court, Atlantic and the river. I hear you on Montague - I'm not a huge fan either. Too crowded and, frankly, the older, established restaurants there suck compared to those that have opened up on Smith Street in the last 10 years or so - or even those on Court Street in Cobble Hill. Kinda analagous to the restaurants on 7th Ave vis-a-vis the restaurants/bars on 5th Ave, Flatbush and Vanderbilt.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 04:21 PM
  #43
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,457
vCash: 500
5th has gone nuts...

have you tried going there on a Friday around 7PM? It's tough.

Have done little on Smith Street - Thai place here, decent nice pizza/Italian place there, Mexican on Pacific Street, but haven't done the Grocery and others - I hear they're a bit overrated. Kind of at a loss insofar as to where to go these days.

Fletch is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 04:29 PM
  #44
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
have you tried going there on a Friday around 7PM? It's tough.

Have done little on Smith Street - Thai place here, decent nice pizza/Italian place there, Mexican on Pacific Street, but haven't done the Grocery and others - I hear they're a bit overrated. Kind of at a loss insofar as to where to go these days.
Yeah, but I didn't think 5th was THAT bad - less crowded than many of the happenin' areas in Manhattan or even 7th Ave during the day on a nice Sunday. Maybe the couple of times I've been I've gotten lucky?

By the way, something worth mentioning for those who live in Brooklyn (or other NYers looking for attractions in Brooklyn) is the Garden Cafe - can't believe I forgot to mention it before.

http://brooklyn.citysearch.com/profi...rden_cafe.html

I'm fortunate enough to actually live down the block from this place. It's tiny (seats like 20 or so), but is LITERALLY one of the best restaurants in New York. I think it gets something like a 28 for food in Zagat's (and only a notch or so below in atmosphere and service) every year, but doesn't make their top ten list, because it's too small to generate enough replies. They always have it at the top of the list it in their "Best of Brooklyn" though. It's definitely more of a romantic spot and it ain't cheap, but it's also not Daniel in terms of pricing either. Worth the trip. Seriously.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 04:42 PM
  #45
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,457
vCash: 500
The streets aren't crowded...

but it's tough to get the seat at the bar you want to drink at and tough to eat at the restaurant you want to eat at. Lots of people living in the neighborhood and the opening of good bars and restaurants haven't kept up with the construction. I like sitting outside at the Gate - on a Friday, you need to get there around 5 for that to happen. On Fridays I like to eat at La Villa, Blue Ribbon, Stone Park, Bonnie's or other places, and again, same problem. The waits seem to get worse.

I've shied away from the Garden Cafe due to size. I've been to a couple bars and restaurant around Lafayette Avenue - I think one bar was Flaming Moe's and the other was a Wine Bar. I forget the restaurant. Nice area, haven't been back in over a year though (I like heading down to Sheepshead Bay for some fried calamari and other fired foods). Need to try some Russian places one of these days.

Fletch is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 05:21 PM
  #46
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,696
vCash: 500
A GREAT restaurant, is on 49th between 8th and 9th called Churrascurria Platorforma. It is a brazilian steak house, you pay one price, for all you can eat meat. They have a huge variety and the food is damn good. Figure with drinks it will run you 75-100 person, depending on how much you drink.

patnyrnyg is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 05:33 PM
  #47
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,457
vCash: 500
Been there too...

it's a lot of meat - something it's a bit much. A couple more have popped up since that one opened up - not sure when that was, but I was there about 6 years ago.

Fletch is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 06:20 PM
  #48
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,730
vCash: 500
Churrascurria Platorforma... is that the weird place you where you have the little sign to tell the waiters you want more meat? If so, that place is ridiculous.

McRanger is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 06:31 PM
  #49
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,696
vCash: 500
a disc, red on one side, green on the other. When you are ready for more, you leave the green side up and they come with their offerings. If you do not like that place, then you are not a man.

patnyrnyg is offline  
Old
07-10-2006, 07:09 PM
  #50
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
a disc, red on one side, green on the other. When you are ready for more, you leave the green side up and they come with their offerings. If you do not like that place, then you are not a man.
I actually like the one in SoHo better. The key is not to be afraid to say no when the waiters come by - it is possible to leave without bursting at the seams, but you WILL be full no matter what.

Fletch, I hear you on the size of the Garden Cafe, but you've got to give it a shot one of these days - it'd be perfect for a romantic occasion if you've got one coming up. It really is one of the top restaurants in all of New York. I'm not exaggerating.

As for 5th, I think my brother and I are gonna check it out this weekend (like most live in Brooklyn/work in Manhattan types, I actually go out in the city about 95% of the time) so I'll try some of your recommendations - hopefully I will be able to get that seat at the bar.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.