HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals: Part XXXIV

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Proust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Let's not forget that he is in his sophomore season.
He's, like, 27....

Greening = Christoph Schubert

Old
02-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
or maybe you are underrating? it's not like a stat you can just check on a piece of paper so you are right, we'll just agree to disagree.
We only have Neil and Smith and to a lesser extent Methot for our toughness. I am not underrating the toughness of this team at all.

The Senators are tougher with Dziurzynski, Grant and either Gryba or Borowiecki in the lineup though. But even then they could use a player or two. Toughness becomes a lot more important when you don't have the skill to consistently hurt the opposition.

The Senators play a lot of tough and physical teams throughout the remaining games of the season. Adding a bit more toughness could help us win a few of those games and at the very least keep our young skilled prospects/ players safe.

A guy like PC Labrie would be cheap to acquire and would help to increase the toughness level in Ottawa.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

With DD, Gryba, Boro and Grant along for the ride we're plenty tough.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
With all the injuries in Ottawa and the injuries/call ups in Bingo, I wouldn't be surprised if Murray is keeping his eye on the waiver wire. We might end up grabbing a few players on waivers throughout the season so we can have a full roster and not completely decimate Bingo.
Doubt it, anything on the waiver wire won't be any better than what the Sens have.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:28 PM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

The team has way bigger issues than toughness right now.

With a healthy line-up? Toughness might be deemed a main concern.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
With our lack of proven skill level with all the injuries we may need to toughen up. In the remaining games in February we play the Leafs 2x, Rangers and Bruins. Then in March we play the Flyers, Leafs 2x, Rangers 2x and Bruins 2x. Then in April we play the Bruins 2x, Flyers 2x, Leafs and the Penguins.

We have some tough players in the system like DD, Gratn, Gryba nd Borowiecki who will all get games but it might be worthwhile to add a player or two so we don't get bullied.

I'm an advocate of getting PC Labrie; he adds toughness and has the upside to become another Arron Asham or a more offensive Shawn Thornton. He also wouldn't cost much to acquire.

Derek Dorsett would be another interesting option,or even Daniel Carcillo.
You are like a broken record with the toughness stuff, but I definitely credit you with persistence.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:34 PM
God Says No

Quote:
We only have Neil and Smith and to a lesser extent Methot for our toughness. I am not underrating the toughness of this team at all.

The Senators are tougher with Dziurzynski, Grant and either Gryba or Borowiecki in the lineup though. But even then they could use a player or two. Toughness becomes a lot more important when you don't have the skill to consistently hurt the opposition.

The Senators play a lot of tough and physical teams throughout the remaining games of the season. Adding a bit more toughness could help us win a few of those games and at the very least keep our young skilled prospects/ players safe.

A guy like PC Labrie would be cheap to acquire and would help to increase the toughness level in Ottawa.
and labrie plays instead of... condra? greening? o'brien? daugavins? dd? grant? etc?

i don't think he's better than any of players mentioned. there's just no room for this guy.

there is a reason why he's in the ahl right now and played only 3 games this year in the nhl.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
and labrie plays instead of... condra? greening? o'brien? daugavins? dd? grant? etc?

i don't think he's better than any of players mentioned. there's just no room for this guy.

there is a reason why he's in the ahl right now and played only 3 games this year in the nhl.
I would play him over Daugavins. Like I just posted in the "bring up Sdao" forum. We would play Labrie against the tougher teams and then try and develop him into a regular player. If he can improve his skating then he could become a more offensive Shawn Thornton.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
You are like a broken record with the toughness stuff, but I definitely credit you with persistence.
Well you think players like Condra are tough. That just goes to show the misconception of toughness by this fan base. Fans on this board don't seem to realize that there are only a sub-set of players that NHL GM's, coaches and players actually consider to be "tough".

Old
02-15-2013, 03:42 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Unless the player's name is Sdao or Filatov (as per threads about these superstars), no one player in the league will replace what Karlsson brings to this team (and the league).

It's futile to attempt to replace him in the short-term to make an attempt at the post-season - and the best the team can do is sign or trade for a Campoli or a Gilroy or a Ryan Whitney (and there's a cost for this particular Edmonton reject).

Let this team go and see where they are at close to the deadline before determining whether to buy or sell. The market is iffy as per BM.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:43 PM
God Says No

Quote:
I would play him over Daugavins. Like I just posted in the "bring up Sdao" forum. We would play Labrie against the tougher teams and then try and develop him into a regular player. If he can improve his skating then he could become a more offensive Shawn Thornton.
give it up bro. he's not coming here, and for a good reason.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:16 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Bruiser ... Boroweicki just got into it with Labrie & had Labrie down but rather than hit him let him back up to fight. Labrie then took his helmet off as they were in an arm grasp since Boroweicki had already lost his before resuming the fight. He got Boro in a head lock only threw one punch but rather than hit him let the refs come in to stop the fight. Commentators called it a respect move from both fighters. Labrie looks big.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Bruiser ... Boroweicki just got into it with Labrie & had Labrie down but rather than hit him let him back up to fight. Labrie then took his helmet off as they were in an arm grasp since Boroweicki had already lost his before resuming the fight. He got Boro in a head lock only threw one punch but rather than hit him let the refs come in to stop the fight. Commentators called it a respect move from both fighters. Labrie looks big.
Thanks for the recap, I missed the game. Labrie has some upside as a 4th liner. In terms of an "enforcer" he actually has a bit of skill which is nice. I like what I've seen from him in the AHL and would like to see if he can translate that into the NHL.

Edit: Oh and I don't know if you checked out the media scrum from Paul MacLean but he said something that I think you would find interesting. When asked what he thought of the new guys, he responded that he had to look up to talk to all of them which is good. So MacLean, like you and I, also sees the value of having big players and a big team.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:57 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Toughness becomes a lot more important when you don't have the skill to consistently hurt the opposition.
This is something I can agree with.

With Karlsson, Spezza etc. out, we are not a skilled team. Far from it. We can no longer win games by out possessing teams and goat them into playing a loose style where our guys can take over and let Andy cover their backs.

With skill in the lineup, other teams are more cautious to take penalties. Without it, they can run around as they please without anyone to answer to. I think the world of Chris Neil but he can't do that alone. Hopefully with the addtion of these guys we can deter the rest of the league from running our young players like Zibanejad, Wiercioch, Da Costa etc.

We can also change up our tactics. I expect to see a lot more dump and chase. We have a lot of guys who I'd describe as tenacious forecheckers on the roster, so this should be the new focus rather than puck possession and the stretch pass. Gotta chip it passed the D and get to work. I still expect a few guys to strike in transition but those chances are going to be far fewer without our gazelle on the backend. Our one strength now is goaltending, so anybody who goes near Andy or Bishop must answer the bell.

I want to see more hits, more fights and everybody sticking up for each other. I don't think its Maclean's style but he's smart and knows what's up. He knows he can't get by playing the same hockey we have been for the past year +.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:05 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I never thought I'd say it, but we gotta start playing dump and chase like FQL said.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:53 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Blair Jones on waivers. I'm guessing we'll be looking at anyone coming across the wire just for warm bodies. He's some what of an agitator from what I gather. Couldn't be worse than Daugavins.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:08 PM
McFist
sfbkjasd sihfdoif_(!

What is Chris Campoli's situation exactly? As far as I can see he's not under contract by anyone but I've heard him mentioned as a "trade" target.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFist View Post
What is Chris Campoli's situation exactly? As far as I can see he's not under contract by anyone but I've heard him mentioned as a "trade" target.
He signed in Switzerland.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:29 PM
McFist
sfbkjasd sihfdoif_(!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
He signed in Switzerland.
Ah, thanks, that would explain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Blair Jones on waivers. I'm guessing we'll be looking at anyone coming across the wire just for warm bodies. He's some what of an agitator from what I gather. Couldn't be worse than Daugavins.
Not sure if that's an upgrade or more of a lateral move.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proust View Post
He's, like, 27....

Greening = Christoph Schubert
So we should convert him to D and he'll be slightly more effective but not as happy?

Old
02-16-2013, 01:34 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFist View Post
Ah, thanks, that would explain it.

Not sure if that's an upgrade or more of a lateral move.
I figure we pick him up and send DD or Grant back to Bingo.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:05 PM
McFist
sfbkjasd sihfdoif_(!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I figure we pick him up and send DD or Grant back to Bingo.
No I actually agree, especially as far as "warm bodies" go. We still need to hit minimum roster numbers for the Sens and B-Sens

Old
02-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

B-sens have Elmira to tap into for "warm bodies"

Old
02-16-2013, 04:38 PM
McFist
sfbkjasd sihfdoif_(!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
B-sens have Elmira to tap into for "warm bodies"
Not sure what you're getting at. It's a bad move to claim him off waivers then?

Old
02-17-2013, 11:51 AM
CarknerCountry

With Washington struggling would you guys take a chance on Mike Green? Don't know what you would have too give up..Also im thinking it would be more of a move for next year..

Karlsson Methot
Green Cowen

Would be an amazing top 4

Closed Thread