HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shake-up?

View Poll Results: oh
fire the coach 29 22.31%
make a trade 33 25.38%
both 52 40.00%
neither? 16 12.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-16-2013, 01:44 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

vCash: 500
Neither will work imo. They aren't dead yet but you have to think DW sees the same lifeless team that we do.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:28 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaf2 View Post
It's not like he'd come out in the article and say, "I'm here to take Todd's job when he fails."

I hope for the teams same he's willing to take over.
The rumors about Robinson are that he is almost purely a player's coach. Is rarely willing to crack the whip. Loved by the players, though. In New Jersey, he failed to criticize them after an absolutely horrid playoff series, and that is when LL canned him....

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:31 AM
wtfisthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
The rumors about Robinson are that he is almost purely a player's coach. Is rarely willing to crack the whip. Loved by the players, though. In New Jersey, he failed to criticize them after an absolutely horrid playoff series, and that is when LL canned him....
Great, thats exactly what this team needs, another teddy bear on the coaching staff.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:35 AM
sharski

Quote:
it all makes sense now, the players are tanking so that they get a players coach in robinson

sharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:42 AM
sjshark91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharski View Post
it all makes sense now, the players are tanking so that they get a players coach in robinson
Cut off your nose to spite your face.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:14 AM
Phu

I remain confused as to what people think a defensive-minded coach will do to help our offensive challenges.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:16 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyLafontaine View Post

Hint it's not goaltending.

The have never had a Norris caliber d man unless you count a 40 year old Rob Blake or aged Gary Suter or on his last legs Al Iafrate.

The Sharks haven't had a playmaker who can make plays in tight spaces since Ray Whitney

The fact that Murray still logs top 6 minutes should tell you all you need to know about where this team is going. Murray is barely an AHL caliber D man.

Clowe is like a bull who has had a sword plunged in his neck and is just fighting the inevitable.

Look at Chicago their 3rd line center is Dave Bolland and then take a look at San Jose's 3rd line center ....

I love Dan Boyle but he's not a Norris caliber D man he's still a viable PMD.

Burns has lots of talent and size but he has to play with a very defensively sound D man because Burns takes a lot of risks.
Dan Boyle was already the best defensman on a Stanley Cup team and I believe he's finished in the top 3 or 4 for Norris voting. He may not be great this season but he's as close as you can get to a norris candidate D man with out wining the trophy.

Burns is still developing. Wasn't he a forward still when he was drafted? I know he was converted I just can't remember when. He still has time to become a norris level D man and frankly with his speed and skill I like his chances better than some of the higher draft picks of the last few years other than the ottawa guy who got cut.

Saying that Whitney was the last playmaker we had is frankly ignoring a ton of history of the sharks. Craig Janney and Damphouse were way better playmakers than Whitney has been at any time in his career.

I can't believe at this point that one of the only things we can't complain about is goaltending. I don't know who showed up this year and put on Niemis jersey but that guy you can build around! ;P

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:30 AM
NWShark*

I'm not opposed to a coaching change but frankly I believe this team needs a shake up of players more. I would trade boyle, clowe, marleau and murray and get younger and faster. This is of course assuming we can get the players to waive any no trades... THis isn't a hate on marleau so don't freak marleau lovers. He's actually the player I think brings in a kings ransom from some team that is actually contending this year. I think the sharks could get a younger roster player, a good prospect (dangler with speed), a 1st and a 2nd or 3rd. The rest would return enough players and prospects to refill worchester and keep the current team competitive enough to make the playoffs. Depending on who they get back in the trades they might even be better.

Irwin comes up for good. If you have to include any fringe players to accomplish all this I'm fine with that.

Untouchables for me are:
THornton, couture, burns, pavs, niemi, havlat.

Thornton isn't untouchable because I love him, it's because he's our shutdown center right now. If we had someone else to use in that role I might ship him out instead of Marleau.

I was willing to give this team the benefit of the doubt and it looked good early but contenders don't lose 7 straight even with shootouts. It's time to make significant changes.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:39 AM
Phu

The real shakeup that needs to be done is making Murray the full-time 7th D and having Clowe watch a few from the pressbox.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:53 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The McMafia View Post
It all depends on the opinion of one person: Larry Robinson.
Robinson? It may be unfair to place all the blame on him, but the biggest problem has been the blue line. Its killing them

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:55 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
I'm not opposed to a coaching change but frankly I believe this team needs a shake up of players more. I would trade boyle, clowe, marleau and murray and get younger and faster. This is of course assuming we can get the players to waive any no trades... THis isn't a hate on marleau so don't freak marleau lovers. He's actually the player I think brings in a kings ransom from some team that is actually contending this year. I think the sharks could get a younger roster player, a good prospect (dangler with speed), a 1st and a 2nd or 3rd. The rest would return enough players and prospects to refill worchester and keep the current team competitive enough to make the playoffs. Depending on who they get back in the trades they might even be better.

Irwin comes up for good. If you have to include any fringe players to accomplish all this I'm fine with that.

Untouchables for me are:
THornton, couture, burns, pavs, niemi, havlat.

Thornton isn't untouchable because I love him, it's because he's our shutdown center right now. If we had someone else to use in that role I might ship him out instead of Marleau.

I was willing to give this team the benefit of the doubt and it looked good early but contenders don't lose 7 straight even with shootouts. It's time to make significant changes.
If you trade Boyle (the one guy who can consistently make slot passes) you may as well trade start trading your untouchables with the exception of Couture and Pavs and Maybe MAYBE Burns although I think the Wild were right about him.... Also during a rebuild you may as well trade Thornton and put Marleau into the untouchables

Old
02-16-2013, 04:57 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
I thought Robinson resigned due to health reasons

Old
02-16-2013, 05:16 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Robinson? It may be unfair to place all the blame on him, but the biggest problem has been the blue line. Its killing them
This doesn't make a lick of sense... Defense isn't the problem at this point. The sharks were 1st in the league in GAA a couple games ago. They still have to be top 3. Goals for is the biggest problem facing this team. Whether it's chemistry or not enough shooters or whatever. They need to put the puck in the net. That's a forward problem more than anything. Most games they've had enough chances they just have terrible aim.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:38 AM
The McMafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Not blaming him. If he says to DW that TMac needs to go, TMac will go. If he says to DW that players need to be moved, they will be moved. His opinion on the situation is enormous.

If there's a coaching change, I assume Johnson will take over and there will be a new AC from somewhere in the org.

The McMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:46 AM
19sharks19

My thoughts, (although I already posted this in the trade forums, but I also wish to add it here as it is the proper discussion within our own boards). Per a shakeup or some sort of rebuild, take out Boyle and Murray and bring back Irwin and our D has already been re-built with youth and skill (not saying I would like Boyle gone) added a veteran or two. Add we have youth in the goal. Up front our main issue is we probably have one of the worst bottom six mix's in hockey meaning; teams simply focus their grind on Thornton, Marleau, Couture, Havlat and Pavelski knowing we have ittle to nothing to follow, thus the other issue of why they are being shut down in scoring as we see. So youth needed up front but going to need youth with hockey skills. Thornton and Marleau are only 33, putting pieces around them in the forwards would keep us in contention... eg. Moving Clowe, Handzus, Murray, Burish and Galiardi immidiately to soon and thus revamping the 3rd and 4th lines almost completely, albeit holding on to the only pieces of value there in Sheppard, Wingels and Desjardins and mix them in with 3 competent newcomers. To me, this is almost a must, nevermind trading your top line players, this should be first and formost.

P.s., that is marking Clowe as a bottom 6 as well in my view as, he is nothing more in my eyes, as I hope to see a second line of Couture, Havlat and Kennedy and/or Sheppard on a regular basis.

Last edited by 19sharks19: 02-16-2013 at 08:01 AM.
19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 08:34 AM
LeeIFBB
Teflon Doug

Bringing in a new coach is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

LeeIFBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:24 AM
bullslugg
HFBoards Sponsor

trade & new coach. Right now there does not seem to be any positive direction with this team. They seem lost without a clue to fix the problem. TM has most likely lost the room, DaDaDa to be honest I don't have a clue about what they should do.

WOW I was so excited about the return of hockey and the Sharks season. I liked the additions of Stuart, Burish, Sheppard, Robinson etc. 7 game win streak, man maybe DW pushed the right buttons after all. Now this!

Where do we go from here?

Sorry, but I am seriously depressed about all of the recent developments of this team. Its been hard to watch.

bullslugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Mattb124

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
This doesn't make a lick of sense... Defense isn't the problem at this point. The sharks were 1st in the league in GAA a couple games ago. They still have to be top 3. Goals for is the biggest problem facing this team. Whether it's chemistry or not enough shooters or whatever. They need to put the puck in the net. That's a forward problem more than anything. Most games they've had enough chances they just have terrible aim.
Totally agreed. The D is fine and the goaltending has been excellent. In the 2 games prio to last night, Niemi gave up one goal during timed play (.5 GAA) and the Sharks lost both. The Sharks scored on goal last night. The point being here is that the team needs to score some goals in order for them to win, and the onus is on the offense for that.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:01 AM
sharski

promote drew remenda to head coach

hire ray ratto as ac to play bad cop... promote curtis brown to be as to play good cop

promote hedican to be ac for home games (but force him to keep standing on his milk crate back there)

boom, stanley cup

sharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:13 AM
magic school bus

Why is "fire Doug Wilson" never an option?

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Why is "fire Doug Wilson" never an option?
Firing Doug Wilson won't change how the team that is constructed is playing now. I would fire him in the offseason though if we don't make the playoffs.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:24 PM
OffSydes
#tank2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
The rebuild is gonna cost you $6,000 a year for the next 3 to 5 years. Think about that for a bit and let me know if it alters your decision making process at all.
A "mini-rebuild" would be awesome and take a year or so. The west, especially in the division is getting younger and faster. They could ship out some UFAs this year, get some prospects and pics in return, try for some free agents in the summer.

OffSydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:39 PM
jwhitesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I'd end up spending thousands of dollars on season tickets over the rebuild years, so I do think about it. Especially with such a seemingly talented roster.
seriously LZ. You'd be spending $6,000/year in season tickets regardless of how they perfrom. So they are not costing you $6000 by going into a rebuild. They are costing you the pleasure of hoping for a championship if they rebuild, not $6,000. Maybee you'd rather spend the $6,000 on something else rather than watch a rebuild, but it doesnt' cost you $6000 if the team blows up the roster and goes for a rebuild.

jwhitesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:51 PM
SJeasy

Somebody mentioned vision of the team. It's there, but it is a failing vision. Snow White and the 7 Dwarves. JT will lead us. Not happening. Hockey is a team game and is integrated.

Robinson for HC is a joke. He was on intermission promoting the same tired stuff about dirty goals. The last two 5on5 goals for the Sharks were transition chances. They are right about execution on breakouts, but it is the breakout strategy. Watch the wingers cling the boards to get the hard arounds. Look at Chicago where they pulled their wingers just off the boards and had a first option of direct passes rather than hard arounds. And the wingers start the breakout with a big battle just to get it over their own blueline and you wonder why the Sharks are slow through the neutral zone . . . Please . . . . And when they do get it off the boards for a direct pass, watch your little darling Vlasic throw the puck into Pavelski's skates on a clear pass and then follow the opponent into the Sharks' zone.

Watch everyone and their brother throw soft passes to the slot when their isn't a teal jersey in the vicinity. Maybe they should be trying bad angle shots. Watch no look passes go directly to the opposition (Gomez).

Their PK works but it is a very conservative strategy. I doubt that they will have even one shortie in the entire season if they continue with the strategy. Very short PK shifts and no forwards pressuring the point. The strategy works for the Sharks in that it covers skating deficiencies with shorter distances to travel. Winners take risks.

When things go south for any team, the temptation is to go more conservative. Things like execution are not conservative, but what we are seeing on the ice indicates choices that are being made from pure conservatism. Winning coaches give all of their players some license not just a select few. Losers keep going back to "win battles", "dirty goals", etc., the same old trite phrases that we have been hearing for eons. Those phrases translate to excuses for lack of vision ultimately mean that they don't know the answers.

And BTW, look at JT's passing outside of the offensive zone. I have seen quite a few that looks like he is catching Vlasic disease. It looks like it is an issue of moving feet and the closing defender is pressuring him into mistakes.

It's pretty grim, but changing personnel whether they be players or coaches is not the answer. The answer starts with vision and has to start higher than with what we see on the ice.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:57 PM
justinboo*

I think they should keep Joe Thornton but trade marleau for a few guys. Seeing joe fight the other night shows a lot that he still wants to fight for us to win. As much as i enjoy marleau's goals hes just too quiet. I remember seeing him in last years playoffs, right before he stepped onto the ice he pulled a tug on on his chest around his diaphram. He doesnt want to be a shark inside. At least thats what i got from his body language.

And is it just me or do the guys look straight up tired on the ice?

they just look lethargic, i wonder how much tmac is working them in practice?

They really do need drew remenda behind that bench. He has soooooo much passion for them even after all the dissappointments.

Marleau just needs a new team though for reals... I dont believe he can win it with the sharks. It would be good for him.

justinboo* is offline   Reply With Quote