HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wang in preliminary talks to sell team!

Old
02-16-2013, 12:02 PM
onesinceforty

vCash: 500
I just don't want to see him try to maintain 50.1% and therefore have all the control. If he is going to sell, just sell all of it and go away.

onesinceforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:04 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Hiring the Raine group, wants $300 mil.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...jlNKje6m8xHezN
I am SO glad, that Wang tied the isles up in a new 25 yr lease, that Wang described in the Brooklyn presser as ironclad.

NYI fans would be overrun with the relocation vultures, explaining how Canada can support 10- 12 nhl teams.

Thanks Wang.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:09 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Eklund's an easy target because of :

a) his hair

b) his face

c) his music videos

d) his willingness to put anything he hears out there

e) his pirating of rumours from other sites and TSN twitter accounts

He simply reports everything he hears, and when the rumours don't come true, people act as though he lied to them...

He HAS broken numerous stories over the years. People act as though he should be compared to a regular beat writer or NHL columnist, or tv pundit, but that's not him (for more reason than one). But I always laugh when he's proven right.

How anyone can deny he must have some connections is just silly...he clearly does. Let's hope this sale by Wang is the real deal though. The pieces of a great team are coming into place...
His success rate is about 2%. I think there was 1 specific transaction (the Richards trade) that he has broken in the past like 5 years. He makes a bunch of vague statements that are bound to come true sometimes.

He may have some connections. And if he stayed to reporting what those connections said, he wouldn't get bashed. But he has been caught copying "news" from message boards in the past. Lets see, he said a deal was in place with Edmonton, then said Minnesota, now there is "big news" being announced. Yeah, guy is doing great.

And I will believe Wang sells when a deal is done. We've been burned too many times in the past.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:11 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
yea well, Wang could have tried to see if someone wanted to keep them here

There was still talks of other buyers and there were other plans on "Fixing" the Coliseum and the Area

Wang wanted to move to Brooklyn because he knew they would be worth more money
I doubt this. Without a long-term lease, Wang could sell to buyers who want to keep the eam in NY, and also buyers who want to move to KC or Canada or Vegas or Seattle or anywhere else.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:13 PM
aemoreira1981

How are you feeling now, Kate Murray? You blocked the Lighthouse Project and now Wang is possibly bailing on the Islanders altogether. As for potential buyers, might ONEXIM or Bruce Ratner be that buyer? ONEXIM owns the Nets, and Bruce Ratner is the other part of the Barclays Center ownership.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Tavaresfan91

Eklund knew

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:15 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

So let me get this straight.

Rumor last year of investment group with Lofontaine as head looking to purchase Islanders.

Wang in talks with.. INVESTMENT GROUP.. to buy the Isles.

Said INVESTMENT GROUP had a say in Barclays Center.

Yeah, I think we can start to connect the dots. Let's hope this gets done so we can back the money truck up to Corey Perry.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:16 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Also, Cheesedoodle dust had a rumor of big news coming out of LI in the next ten days.

Anyway Wang bails asap and this gets done sooner rather than later?

Wang sells the Isles before this season is finished and I'll buy season tickets in Brooklyn the minute after. Won't even think ****ing twice.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:33 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Who cares about Ek and what he may or may not heard?

Seriously, this news breaks and THAT'S what you guys want to talk about?

#Prioritiesinwrongplacecompletelyx10000000

People, this is significant because the new group coming in may go all WANG and dump all the kids for crap ala 2000. Or maybe they do it right from top to bottom.

Or maybe the deal goes nowhere and we stay at cut rate prices for 10 more years, or whatever. So much to talk about that actually matters....

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:45 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Who cares about Ek and what he may or may not heard?

Seriously, this news breaks and THAT'S what you guys want to talk about?

#Prioritiesinwrongplacecompletelyx10000000

People, this is significant because the new group coming in may go all WANG and dump all the kids for crap ala 2000. Or maybe they do it right from top to bottom.

Or maybe the deal goes nowhere and we stay at cut rate prices for 10 more years, or whatever. So much to talk about that actually matters....
Unlike 2000, we are gonna have ownership working under a cap. I'd look for a combination of youngsters and vets.

How cool will it be, when quality players come on the trade market, not to have to think 'oh, the isles will never pay him that salary'? I've read the rumor that Snow is kicking the tires on ROR and I have major doubts about whether the interest is legit or a pr move by the isles. I just can't see the isles paying ROR $5m. Even less so now, with rumors about selling the team and Wang's big 2014 loan payment.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:45 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
I absolutely believe this story. Like the Isles moving to Brooklyn, you have to figure this will happen because it makes sense.

IMO, the Isles will be in Brooklyn before 2015, and Wang will not be the owner in Brooklyn. I'll be very surprised if both of those things do not occur.

BTW, remember that before Wang bought the Isles he was looking to buy a basketball team (the Nets?) b/c that was the sport he loved? So if Nets ownership buys the Isles, part of the deal could be that Wang gets a piece of the Nets. Not a big piece, but enough for him to have fun with in his golden years.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:50 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
I absolutely believe this story. Like the Isles moving to Brooklyn, you have to figure this will happen because it makes sense.

IMO, the Isles will be in Brooklyn before 2015, and Wang will not be the owner in Brooklyn. I'll be very surprised if both of those things do not occur.

BTW, remember that before Wang bought the Isles he was looking to buy a basketball team (the Nets?) b/c that was the sport he loved? So if Nets ownership buys the Isles, part of the deal could be that Wang gets a piece of the Nets. Not a big piece, but enough for him to have fun with in his golden years.
It does sound like Wang's been a huge nba fan for yrs.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:01 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Unlike 2000, we are gonna have ownership working under a cap. I'd look for a combination of youngsters and vets.

How cool will it be, when quality players come on the trade market, not to have to think 'oh, the isles will never pay him that salary'? I've read the rumor that Snow is kicking the tires on ROR and I have major doubts about whether the interest is legit or a pr move by the isles. I just can't see the isles paying ROR $5m. Even less so now, with rumors about selling the team and Wang's big 2014 loan payment.
The only way ROR makes sense is because they have to fill in to 44 million in cap BUT I will say that if this story is true they are just "in talks." You don't make big moves for large contracts anchoring the future buyer's salary. You want to present as big of a blank slate as you can for the incoming group. Max prospects and picks, short term salaries for the vets... That's the recipe you want to present.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:06 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post

Interesting insight. While I think this story may be true, wouldn't it be more beneficial for Wang to sell the Isles to the Barclays owners AFTER 2015 at a higher price?

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:11 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
The only way ROR makes sense is because they have to fill in to 44 million in cap BUT I will say that if this story is true they are just "in talks." You don't make big moves for large contracts anchoring the future buyer's salary. You want to present as big of a blank slate as you can for the incoming group. Max prospects and picks, short term salaries for the vets... That's the recipe you want to present.
Bob McKenzie and Dater are insisting that ROR wants $5m per, on a long term deal.

One rumor I read, was that he'd take $4m on a short term deal.

Brooks and Dater have said that Sather is one of a few gms,who have balked at ROR contract demands. Sather's dropped out of the bidding. That imo is pretty telling. Sather held firm with Del Zotto, forcing Del Zotto to take a reasonable 2 yr bridge contract. Sather's got a couple of top youngsters who'll be looking at 2nd pro contracts.
I'm guessing Sather did his homework with ROR. That he spoke to both the Avs about what return they'd want and spoke to ROR's rep about what type of contract he'd accept.
I question whether the isles/ ROR rumors are legit because the isles have Hamonic due a new deal this summer and Moulson's due a new deal next summer.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Steve55

http://ir.forestcity.net/phoenix.zht...934&highlight=

Forest City Enterprises, Inc. (NYSE: FCEA and FCEB) today announced that its New York-based subsidiary, Forest City Ratner Companies, Inc. ("FCRC") and Nets Sports and Entertainment ("NSE"), have signed a letter of intent with an affiliate of Onexim Group, an international private investment fund, to create a strategic partnership for the development of the Atlantic Yards project, a 22-acre residential and commercial real estate project in Brooklyn, and the Barclays Center arena, the future home of the NBA's Nets...

The transaction is expected to close by the first quarter of next year upon certain conditions being fulfilled, including approval by the NBA's Board of Governors. The Raine Group and Goldman, Sachs & Co. advised FCRC and NSE. Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP acted as legal counsel to FCRC and NSE. Hogan & Hartson advised Onexim Group...

I think Ratner may be the recipient of the Isles in the latest rumor.
Maine has worked with him in the past.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:20 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Bob McKenzie and Dater are insisting that ROR wants $5m per, on a long term deal.

One rumor I read, was that he'd take $4m on a short term deal.

Brooks and Dater have said that Sather is one of a few gms,who have balked at ROR contract demands. Sather's dropped out of the bidding. That imo is pretty telling. Sather held firm with Del Zotto, forcing Del Zotto to take a reasonable 2 yr bridge contract. Sather's got a couple of top youngsters who'll be looking at 2nd pro contracts.
I'm guessing Sather did his homework with ROR. That he spoke to both the Avs about what return they'd want and spoke to ROR's rep about what type of contract he'd accept.
I question whether the isles/ ROR rumors are legit because the isles have Hamonic due a new deal this summer and Moulson's due a new deal next summer.
Then we should drop out as well because ROR is not worth 5 million at this point in his career. I am just not convinced we are even in it because with our top center position secured, and with Nielsen a reasonable 2 or 3, and Strome up next year all but guaranteed, and Nelson on the way.... I am not seeing a burning need to bring in Ryan.

If you think he would make an excellent wing though, different story. The skills and tools are there for him to be a bang on fit for Tavares' line on wing if you think it would work. And I would gladly dump Moulson in the deal assuming Ryan's points would eclipse Matt's while adding significant production to John's points, let alone all the defensive value Ryan has and Matt doesn't. So I wouldn't worry about MM's contract in the future, because if you move him to any other unit he will score as much as Nielsen does.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:43 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
I knew it

I knew as soon as this move to Brooklyn was announced, Wang was going to sell

That is why he moved to Brooklyn

Wang is a piece of crap

I was always a defender of him

but basically he was the guy who was responsible for moving the team from Long Island
This... so I can add him to my list with Kate Murray and the rest of the politicians. I ran into a friend on the train the other day who I hadn't seen in 20 years. He was a huge Islander fan in the day, said he will no longer root for them but become a Ranger fan since they will be the most convenient for him and can't root for an Islander team in Brooklyn since it will no longer be our Islanders.. two years ago this would have been blasphemy, now I don't think it will be so crazy.. me, i will most likely stop following pro hockey when they move.. I have bled blue and orange through the lean years, now I still go to every game(bought my season tix before the move was announced) but the feeling is not the same... ownership and the politicians have given us the middle finger for too long.

Last edited by 19 in a row: 02-16-2013 at 01:51 PM.
19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:47 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Quote:
I knew it

I knew as soon as this move to Brooklyn was announced, Wang was going to sell

That is why he moved to Brooklyn

Wang is a piece of crap

I was always a defender of him

but basically he was the guy who was responsible for moving the team from Long Island
You are aware that Brooklyn is on Long Island and that staying in NVMC was never going to happen? I think I will take Brooklyn over the Quebec Nordiques.

nyiguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:49 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Then we should drop out as well because ROR is not worth 5 million at this point in his career. I am just not convinced we are even in it because with our top center position secured, and with Nielsen a reasonable 2 or 3, and Strome up next year all but guaranteed, and Nelson on the way.... I am not seeing a burning need to bring in Ryan.

If you think he would make an excellent wing though, different story. The skills and tools are there for him to be a bang on fit for Tavares' line on wing if you think it would work. And I would gladly dump Moulson in the deal assuming Ryan's points would eclipse Matt's while adding significant production to John's points, let alone all the defensive value Ryan has and Matt doesn't. So I wouldn't worry about MM's contract in the future, because if you move him to any other unit he will score as much as Nielsen does.
I wouldn't want to see Moulson dumped. All the guy does is score goals 97 over the last 3 full seasons. With his friendships on the team and good relationship with the front office, I'm hoping he quietly signs a multi-yr extension without testing the market.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:52 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

I really hope this is true. I really, really hope this is true. Really, really.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:58 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiguy21 View Post
You are aware that Brooklyn is on Long Island and that staying in NVMC was never going to happen? I think I will take Brooklyn over the Quebec Nordiques.
yes brooklyn is geographically on long island but it is not what we commonly consider long island. It works both ways, when have the people of brooklyn come out in droves to support the team in nassau? Brooklyn has never associated itself as part of long island nor nyc, their teams have been the only teams in NY to not be named after the city or state.. Brooklynites are immensely proud of their "city", sorry can't convince me that brooklyn is a good thing for those of us who have supported them out here, especially due to the venom in this site from all the brooklyn fans towards everything nassau and long island. I wish them luck but it will not be the same when they move their for many of us.

and didn't wang try to build an arena on his own with kate murray and other blocking it(and wang not ready to compromise since he wanted to build it for the revenue from the whole lighthouse project), so i disagree that it was never going to happen it was blocked, first by the republicans then by the democrats and media who put their weight to spread panic about the potential tiny tax increase on the vote (my taxes go up every year, no one ever tells me on what, at least this was a good cause)...this began with pickett's ownership right after the last cup and has continued to this day, a prolonged line of terrible ownership and crappy local politics.

Last edited by 19 in a row: 02-16-2013 at 02:13 PM.
19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:07 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
I wouldn't want to see Moulson dumped. All the guy does is score goals 97 over the last 3 full seasons. With his friendships on the team and good relationship with the front office, I'm hoping he quietly signs a multi-yr extension without testing the market.
IMO, RoR would get more points with Tavares, and provide more for Tavares while keeping those GA to a minimum when the line was on the ice. I am not a big fan of +/-, but Matt's is bad and he himself is the reason it is bad.

Do you remember MM playing off Tavares' line when he first joined the club? He was nothing special. If anything he should be paying the Islanders to play with Tavares.

If I am new ownership I wouldn't let any worry about retaining MM interfere with getting a significant upgrade for his spot is all I am saying.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:24 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
yes brooklyn is geographically on long island but it is not what we commonly consider long island. It works both ways, when have the people of brooklyn come out in droves to support the team in nassau? Brooklyn has never associated itself as part of long island nor nyc, their teams have been the only teams in NY to not be named after the city or state.. Brooklynites are immensely proud of their "city", sorry can't convince me that brooklyn is a good thing for those of us who have supported them out here, especially due to the venom in this site from all the brooklyn fans towards everything nassau and long island. I wish them luck but it will not be the same when they move their for many of us.

and didn't wang try to build an arena on his own with kate murray and other blocking it(and wang not ready to compromise since he wanted to build it for the revenue from the whole lighthouse project), so i disagree that it was never going to happen it was blocked, first by the republicans then by the democrats and media who put their weight to spread panic about the potential tiny tax increase on the vote (my taxes go up every year, no one ever tells me on what, at least this was a good cause)...this began with pickett's ownership right after the last cup and has continued to this day, a prolonged line of terrible ownership and crappy local politics.
To your point at the top, you don't think there is going to be a ton of support from Brookylnites? I view the Nets as a good parallel and they were basically dropped into there from even further away. They are at about 95% attendance this year and their merchandise sales have skyrocketed. Granted that basketball is(and will be) more popular than hockey, but you don't think that Brooklyn is going to come out and support a new local team? I don't live on LI so I can't attribute to the venom between the two, but even if Brooklyn alone was to support the Isles, that is a huge city by itself.

For your last part, I think all of that blocking you were talking about is why a new NVMC was never going to happen.

nyiguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:24 PM
RealSturat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
This... so I can add him to my list with Kate Murray and the rest of the politicians. I ran into a friend on the train the other day who I hadn't seen in 20 years. He was a huge Islander fan in the day, said he will no longer root for them but become a Ranger fan since they will be the most convenient for him and can't root for an Islander team in Brooklyn since it will no longer be our Islanders.. two years ago this would have been blasphemy, now I don't think it will be so crazy.. me, i will most likely stop following pro hockey when they move.. I have bled blue and orange through the lean years, now I still go to every game(bought my season tix before the move was announced) but the feeling is not the same... ownership and the politicians have given us the middle finger for too long.
THE TEAM IS MOVING 20 MILES AWAY, you are bailing as a fan and you have a friend who is now "conveniently" a Rangers fan now. Let me guess. He was a Mets fan in the 80s too and is a Yankees fan now. Weather is always nice where he goes apparently.

I have lived OFF Long Island since 1989 and I still and will always bleed orange in blue. As long as the team remained in the metro NY area, I will be a fan.

Don't think I could have easily become a Penguins fan here in Cleveland? I could have, but I didn't. If I had I would have rooted for a champion already. As a Mets, Jets, and Isles fan, that would have been nice. I have driven 8 hours from Cleveland just to go to playoff games. 450 miles. Sorry the 20 miles is too much for you.

I am not happy with Wang. The cap circumvention and cheap **** since the last playoff run has been disgusting. I am pissed at politicians and the absolute debacle of how this team, once the pride of the Island, was handled.

In the end, this team could have been in KC or Seattle. But it is still in NY. End result, better days are ahead and I can't wait to see it come to fruition.

RealSturat is offline   Reply With Quote