HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The End Of Small Talk

Old
02-15-2013, 11:31 PM
SouthernHab
Summer Grilling

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbybirthday View Post
Haha also a Packers fan here.
Agreed on some level? go habs?

Besides I'm from Canada and recently spent a month in the south.
I think the real thing we should be talking about here is Go Chicken 'n Dumplings, Country Fried Steak, Fried Okra with Ranch dressing, Turnip Greens with Malt Vinegar, Fried Catfish, Mac and Cheese, Cracker Barrel Restaurant.. I forgive you for not serving beer. The real argument for you and I is where is all that delicious **** here in Canada. Sorry for straying off hockey topic but ****, go there for the food, watch a habs game cheap and spacious like in floridas empty arena. And eat that food.

I told me hotel receptionist I just crunched some south at cracker barrel and she said "Awwwww you must be filllllledddd up" southern hospitality. sorry again for straying from hockey but you gotta try that food.

Nothing like a discussion about food. But turnip greens suck. Bad!!

Go Habs Go!!

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:37 PM
HBDay
"I ****ing LOVE it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Nothing like a discussion about food. But turnip greens suck. Bad!!

Go Habs Go!!
Ok fine. turnip greens not for everyone.

Everybody should forget the habs for a minute and realize, that southern food has the size we're looking for and the depth we're looking for. Eat that shiz, good for you're soul. You'll all be nicer people afterwards. Steak is good. When you fry it in 5 gallons of oil.. Better. It'll make you all be better people.. I'll hate you all less. except for that guy on these boards named "et le but" I will alway's hate that guy. even after country fried steak.

k back to hockey.

HBDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:16 AM
Habs

Quote:

Love the team for what it is. Size isn't the only competitive factor in hockey guy's. Go Habs. Go Gionta, Plekanecs, Desharnais, Gallagher.
So lets continue to ignore the problems management hasn't addressed since 1994, gotcha. Even in my old hockey preview magazines, the 'insiders' agreed this team was always too small, too soft etc.. and guess what? They were right.

The formula for success has always been there, right in front of this ignorant 'philosophy' that places the importance of size and grit somewhere below pre game meals.

We have a franchise goalie, 2 franchise dmen and wonderful young talent. The key ingredients are there, but unless Bergevin and the old boys club sprinkle in some size on the backend, and down the middle, we aren't going anywhere.

You have a limited timeframe to make these moves, to surround Price , PK, Markov and the young talent with the tools and confidence to build a winner. I'm not saying it's 'Cup or Bust', but to be a real threat every year isn't a big reach for this team with its key components already in place.

We are in fact 'too small' down the middle, and 'too small' on the backend. It always comes to light in the playoffs, just like clockwork. I actually have faith that Bergevin will fix the issues that have plagued this team for years and years.

So when Price is getting run over, and it doesn't seem to bother anyone too much or our Captain is being run down, with no consequences.. or when Gorges is getting laughed at because he's being drawn into a situation he shouldn't be in... just remember... it all adds up in the end.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:55 AM
dutchy29

I think think that small players can make incredibly huge impact in the NHL, St.Louis, Brierre, Fleury, etc. just to name a few....But I think the problem with a small team such as ours trying to make a cup run is that to win the cup you must have a multi-fauceted team, with all around tools, team tuffness, defense, strong goal tending, offense, special teams, I think the Habs in recent years have excelled a few of these necessities of winning but when ever they are matched up against a big team who can check and box out our little guys we ending up having major issues scoring, and in turn have no answer because our team on an overall basis is small. Aside from Moen and Prust, maybe PK at the back end we don't really have anyone else that can really stand up for themselves.
If we could add even just one more rough tough stay at home D-man it would do wonders for this team.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:17 AM
TennisMenace

Many have said it- 4-5 smallish guys with no protection is a problem.

We are playing European hockey in North America. We definitely need at least 4 big bodies out there, including defense.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Natey
#feelthelove

The funny part is that if we ditched all the small players, got bigger, and sucked - people would be saying we need the smaller, skilled, fast players lol

Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:05 AM
SouthernHab
Summer Grilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
The funny part is that if we ditched all the small players, got bigger, and sucked - people would be saying we need the smaller, skilled, fast players lol
Once again, the anti-toughness crowd misses the point. In your effort to try to project what you think and pass it off as our beliefs, you end up looking foolish.

What most of us want is balance. Gallagher is a very good small player. But a team with Gallagher and 2-3 other small forwards combined with a small D is a recipe for no Cup.

Please try to keep the discussion honest. Thanks

Old
02-16-2013, 10:14 AM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
The stigma of being soft and small will go when we get rid of guys like Plekanec, DD, Gionta and replace them with big talented players with grit.
And the stigma of Boston being soft and small will end once they get rid of guys like Krejci, Marchand, and Bourque.

Point being, you can be successful with smaller players, you just need to surround them properly. You also can't have too many small players, and I agree that we probably have one or two too many right now.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Habs

Quote:
So you really can't see the difference in what we are talking about?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:35 AM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Timmins BPA strategy over the last decade has resulted in what? No Cup.

Would it make sense to run a restaurant and continue to hire the best chef available while you do not hire any waitstaff? Absolutely not.

Sporting teams that are successful are that way because management uses the draft and trades to address Specific Needs of their team.

That is why we have an overabundance of small players right now. We were going after the BPA and it happened to be smallish forwards. Now, we are wondering why we do not have a team with big and talented skill players.

BPA is the rabbit hole that we went down and are now finding it very hard to get out of. BPA is also a strategy that now has 10 years of data to prove that it is an extremely flawed strategy.

Timmins needs to change his approach or be replaced with someone who has an idea on how to build a winning team based upon needs......both immediate and projected.
Oh, like trading McDonagh for Gomez? Timmins would be picked up in a picosecond if we were to fire him. Could you imagine our current D PLUS McDonagh?

cphabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Once again, the anti-toughness crowd misses the point. In your effort to try to project what you think and pass it off as our beliefs, you end up looking foolish.

What most of us want is balance. Gallagher is a very good small player. But a team with Gallagher and 2-3 other small forwards combined with a small D is a recipe for no Cup.

Please try to keep the discussion honest. Thanks
Recipe for no cup? Glad you're god and know all the facts.

Do you think LA thought they had the recipe for the cup limping into the playoffs? Nope. There is no such thing as a recipe for the cup. Big players, small players, whatever. What matters is chemistry and performance at the right time. Nothing else.

I'm not anti-toughness.. but it's not exactly easy to find big players who are as skilled as their smaller counterparts. They are almost a myth.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:23 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Should we end the Small talk?

By that I mean the hundreds of comments "Our team is a bunch of smurfs" "We can't win with the small stature of our team" "I'm sick of all these midgets"

This is our team for better or worse. We should stop dwelling on that small fact. (no pun intended)

Remember '09 - '10
When a bunch of smurfs took us too the third round of the playoffs ( I know all the negative people will say yeah but then we got crushed )

1. How many teams with larger overall heights and weights didn't go to the third round that year? The bulk of NHL.

2. That team was smaller than the one we have now.

3. One of our former "smurfs" Tied the FRANCHISE record of goals scored in a single playoffs. Our franchise is old. real old. So it seems a smurf can compete... with years of big boy's.

Remember 2010 - 2011

We got knocked out in the first round of the playoffs. But of all the other teams to play Boston did you realize that no team came closer to beating them than we did?

1. If we had beat them. Man the sky would've been the limit.

2. Yes that small team never brought home a cup. Neither did 31 other teams. Many of them "big".

Love the team for what it is. Size isn't the only competitive factor in hockey guy's. Go Habs. Go Gionta, Plekanecs, Desharnais, Gallagher.
yes brother and we have won what?

we had a hoopla , genie in a bottle run that year ? so what

its like last year , DD Cole , now when reality sinks what happened ?

do u want to be DETROIT contender for 15 years or fluke of a playoff run every 10 years

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:03 PM
TennisMenace

May I remind everyone here, we haven't won anything in 20 years. Even if you total all our playoff series wins in that span you probably won't need two hands.
Someone please go back and analyze the successful teams that have won the cup the past 20 years. Would you say they are smallish with no heavyweight protection? Or not?

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphabs View Post
Oh, like trading McDonagh for Gomez? Timmins would be picked up in a picosecond if we were to fire him. Could you imagine our current D PLUS McDonagh?
... And + Fischer...

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:18 PM
SouthernHab
Summer Grilling

Quote:
Recipe for no cup? Glad you're god and know all the facts.

Do you think LA thought they had the recipe for the cup limping into the playoffs? Nope. There is no such thing as a recipe for the cup. Big players, small players, whatever. What matters is chemistry and performance at the right time. Nothing else.

I'm not anti-toughness.. but it's not exactly easy to find big players who are as skilled as their smaller counterparts. They are almost a myth.
I am not a god nor do I know it all.

No, I am just an observer and have seen nothing but futility from a team that has too many undersized players on it for too many years.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
I am not a god nor do I know it all.

No, I am just an observer and have seen nothing but futility from a team that has too many undersized players on it for too many years.
That's fair and an understandable argument, even if I don't agree.

However, in my original post, I didn't say ALL people who feel this way, I just said people. There are lots of people who jump on the bandwagon quickly. You may not fit into that category, but there are lots that do.

Look at how many people laughed at Desharnais, then loved him, now hate him again. Same for Price or Koivu or Plekanec. It's a circle that never stops spinning in Habs land.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:22 PM
icerocket

People say the Habs are small because the play like it (most anyway) and they are small.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:27 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

I know it is a heck of a lot easier to elbow another player's head into the glass/boards, when they are under 6 feet and you are not, while not getting called for it.

cphabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Lizard King*

Quote:
G-g-g-get r-r-rid of p-p-plekanec?
Oh lord please no if this happens I'm jumping onto the bandwagon of whatever team Plekanec is sent to.

Lizard King* is offline   Reply With Quote