HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Habs need a heavyweight enforcer?

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Matt Kassian on waivers from Minnesota?
Yes 86 74.78%
No 29 25.22%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 01:10 AM
Mynameismark*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Actually I want to change my vote. Fighting is a foul, right? The league has to treat it as such and not have refs stand aside so that a bare-knuckle boxing match can be folded into a hockey game. It's cheap and terrible marketing to have this in the game. The Habs should declare a strict rejection of this league policy and expect any opposition player who attacks with fists be assessed a 2 min instigator, a 5 for fighting, a game misconduct and a review for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Fighting is way up this season and that sucks. So yeah, I vote "No."
Oh man, more whining about how Hockey has always traditionally been played. Let's get that basketball man Buttman in so that he can cater to wishy washy "fans" some more and keep changing our game. Sorry, but after the home team scoring, nothing gets more fans out of their seats than a HW scrap. Or any scrap really.

This game used to be policed by men, not these sorry penalty and special teams fests we see every game now for ticky tack calls like hooking and invisible moments of interference and such. That's BS hockey.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:30 AM
TennisMenace

I don't understand why we can't have that one heavyweight who plays against the more physical teams. Anaheim does that with Staubitz. Others do it too.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:51 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameismark View Post
Oh man, more whining about how Hockey has always traditionally been played. Let's get that basketball man Buttman in so that he can cater to wishy washy "fans" some more and keep changing our game. Sorry, but after the home team scoring, nothing gets more fans out of their seats than a HW scrap. Or any scrap really.

This game used to be policed by men, not these sorry penalty and special teams fests we see every game now for ticky tack calls like hooking and invisible moments of interference and such. That's BS hockey.
so, change nothing, ever ?

Old
02-16-2013, 01:06 PM
Beendair Donedat

Another eCw leap in logic. That's not what Mark said at all...

Great post Mark, I agree 1000%.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:23 PM
No Team Needed

Nothing gets the fans out of the seats more than a heavyweight scrap.

Nothing gets the NHL in more trouble than Derek Boogaard dying in his 20s.

It's a new world.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:50 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post

It's a new world.
What were causes of his death?

Old
02-16-2013, 01:54 PM
bud12

supposed to be a accidental mixture of alcohol and oxycodone

Old
02-16-2013, 01:59 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
supposed to be a accidental mixture of alcohol and oxycodone
Was this related to his hockey fights?

Old
02-16-2013, 02:00 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:

It's a new world.
Sadly the change will probably only come after a fighter is KO'd on the ice, never regains consciousness, then dies. Only a matter of time, but the league lawyers will say they never saw it coming.

Last edited by JLP: 02-16-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old
02-16-2013, 02:07 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Concussions and chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Lshap

The biggest joke to me is the mystique around fighting. The "Code", "Answering the bell" -- give me a friggin' break. Fighting isn't hockey -- when a fight starts, hockey stops. I have no problem with the occasional fight when tempers flare or you're defending a teammate, but take a few shots and then end it ASAP so we can get back to the game. I know people find it entertaining. But so is watching cheerleaders in the stands. If you think fighting is an important tool for team morale, well, so are the cheerleaders.

So to be clear, no, I'm not suggesting we ban fighting. I just find them a sideshow to the actual game, and boring after about 15 seconds of wild swinging. Getting a player whose role is to accommodate this sideshow would be totally, head-shakingly bad management. Which is why we didn't do it.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:24 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Sadly the change will probably only come after a fighter is KO'd on the ice, never regains consciousness, then dies. Only a matter of time, but the league lawyers will say they never saw it coming.
Watching Bill Daly tip toe around the subject in Head Games was pathetic.

Wade Belak, Rick Rypien, Derek Boogaard, nope none of it has to do with their "job".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Belak
On nights you knew you had to fight, there were nerves, you never slept the night before. But you dealt with it or you didn't. You don't really get over it, you just go out and do your job.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:24 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Did anyone watch the Bruins Sabres game last night?

John Scott has taken away the intimidation game from the Bruins. Quite interesting to watch.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:28 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Watching Bill Daly tip toe around the subject in Head Games was pathetic.

Wade Belak, Rick Rypien, Derek Boogaard, nope none of it has to do with their "job".
You do realize that Crosby and Horton suffered more devastating head injuries than any of those players you mentioned.

And it wasn't from a fight.

What now?

Old
02-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Did anyone watch the Bruins Sabres game last night?

John Scott has taken away the intimidation game from the Bruins. Quite interesting to watch.
I think you're simplifying a bit. Boston played well through two periods and dominated Buffalo. Then the Sabres came alive in the third and totally outskated them. The difference appeared to be discipline and forechecking, not because Buffalo suddenly remembered not to be intimidated.

Also, 'intimidation' is a tricky word. I think Boston outmuscles more than intimidates. The difference to me is the games we play against them -- we're never mentally 'intimidated', but we might lose battles in front of the nets because they outmuscle our smaller guys. I don't see how a John Scott could change that dynamic.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:39 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
You do realize that Crosby and Horton suffered more devastating head injuries than any of those players you mentioned.

What now?
That's funny, I am pretty sure they are still playing hockey. Which league is Belak and Boogaard playing in again?

Old
02-16-2013, 02:43 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:

What now?
I think impact in the course of gameplay is another issue entirely. And don't you find it contradictory when the league says it wants to cut down on boarding and hits to the head, yet its officials stand aside and watch if two guys start throwing bare-knuckle haymakers at one another?

Old
02-16-2013, 02:51 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
sort of pain killer, it may be

Old
02-16-2013, 02:56 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I think you're simplifying a bit. Boston played well through two periods and dominated Buffalo. Then the Sabres came alive in the third and totally outskated them. The difference appeared to be discipline and forechecking, not because Buffalo suddenly remembered not to be intimidated.

Also, 'intimidation' is a tricky word. I think Boston outmuscles more than intimidates. The difference to me is the games we play against them -- we're never mentally 'intimidated', but we might lose battles in front of the nets because they outmuscle our smaller guys. I don't see how a John Scott could change that dynamic.
Scott had nothing to do with the final score. His presence did pretty much eliminate the Bruins defaulting to a goonish game. And that allows the Sabres talent to do what they get paid to do.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:58 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
That's funny, I am pretty sure they are still playing hockey. Which league is Belak and Boogaard playing in again?
Nice classy post.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:01 PM
bud12

Quote:
last time I watched, fighting wasn't the cause for their death. Boogard death was accidental. Ripper and Belak was because of their mental issues

Old
02-16-2013, 03:05 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

And for the record, there are hundreds of former NHL "tough guys" who did not resort to suicide to resolve their problems.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:10 PM
icerocket

Habs don't want a heavyweight enforcer because some enforcers committed suicide?

Old
02-16-2013, 03:33 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:

Two games in a row the Bruins look disinterested to fight or goon up Sabres skilled players. This is why John Scott is worth ten times what Armstrong makes. Scott's mere presence both protects little Sabres and allows for them to be frisky.
I'm sorry some Hab fans don't see this.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:03 PM
DAChampion

Quote:

Montreal is extremely intimidated by Boston.

Do you not watchbthe games?

They play a perimeter game againstBoston, rarely going anywhere near the net.

Closed Thread