HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Karlsson Injured Part III [YT#1] Lacerated Achilles, Surgery Required, Out Indef.

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 12:32 PM
mojova

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Why use reasonable judgement?

It is so much more fun to bash Matt Cooke.
First, It's extremely unusual to be injured the way Karson was injured. Has there ever been a similar accident (I'm too lazy to search the threads if there indeed has been one). I'm aware that Selanne did hurt his achilles tendon, did it happen in a similar fashion?

Second, the previous record of Matt Cooke, and his reaction to the incident.

Picture yourself losing balance, and what happens when your leg meets an unexpected support. Do you kick through it, or move your weight just so that you gain your balance again?

Old
02-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Kush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudomonas View Post
You are aware this happened right? Or have you been living in a fallout shelter for a while? Heck, he was out for a lot of 2011 AND 2012, and Malkin was out for the rest of the 2011 season right after it happened.

I don't recall this much whining after that, and it was a better player and a brain injury on top of that.
I'm well aware, and that;s why I wrote this. His next concussion will be his last....

Old
02-16-2013, 12:38 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
How ****ing stupid is it to make such comparison? Bert is a great guy who stood up for Nazzy and the team. He made ONE mistake which caused a tragical outcome. End of story!!!!
To be fair, his one "mistake" was intentionally sucker punching someone from behind and driving him into the ice nearly one month after the Moore/Naslund incident. I'm pretty sure the two teams met again before Bertuzzi made his "mistake".

But that's neither here nor there I guess.

Last edited by Timmy: 02-16-2013 at 01:41 PM. Reason: qep
Old
02-16-2013, 12:39 PM
EDDIE20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCrosby View Post
The Pens are the bread and butter of the NHL.. We are the reason most NHL teams actually sell out their home games.. Pittsburgh has done more for hockey than any other American city. Even though football is King here in western PA hockey is a very close 2nd and there isnt a fan base thats more dedicated and knowledgeable than Pittsburgh fans.
Really huh? Oddly enough, before the Penguins were seemingly handed Sidney Crosby during that lottery, the team was practically in the toilet.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:41 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I dont understand all the fuss.. Cooke was off balance.. regained his balance and Karlsson's leg happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.. Cooke's past is the past.. His wife was sick (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl,wp11087) when he was running rampant and now he is a changed man..

The Pens are the bread and butter of the NHL.. We are the reason most NHL teams actually sell out their home games.. Pittsburgh has done more for hockey than any other American city. Even though football is King here in western PA hockey is a very close 2nd and there isnt a fan base thats more dedicated and knowledgeable than Pittsburgh fans.
Um... how do you account for sell outs that do no feature the Penguins?

Old
3rdLiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojova View Post
First, It's extremely unusual to be injured the way Karson was injured. Has there ever been a similar accident (I'm too lazy to search the threads if there indeed has been one). I'm aware that Selanne did hurt his achilles tendon, did it happen in a similar fashion?

Second, the previous record of Matt Cooke, and his reaction to the incident.

Picture yourself losing balance, and what happens when your leg meets an unexpected support. Do you kick through it, or move your weight just so that you gain your balance again?
Thats part of it I think. If this play is such a common occurrence then how come this isn't more common. Why aren't there more cuts to calf resulting from this type of thing?

It just seem strange that it had to happen between Karlsson and Cooke. Appears to be a freak accident but given Cooke's history and the lack of any other type of incident like this I will never really be sure that he wasnt trying to do something there. But I doubt he could have planned specifically to stomp the achilles.

Old
12345*

Eugene Melnyk is a complete embarrassment to the league and the Sens organization.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:43 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kush View Post
I'm well aware, and that;s why I wrote this. His next concussion will be his last....
Knowing how one more bad hit/unfortunate accident could end the career of either player, I wonder how comfortable pens fans would feel if Cooke were playing for a division rival.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:44 PM
3rdLiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE20 View Post
Really huh? Oddly enough, before the Penguins were seemingly handed Sidney Crosby during that lottery, the team was practically in the toilet.

I could have sworn that there were sell outs in the NHL before the Pens were added as a expansion team but I must have been wrong. The Pens giveth and pens taketh away.

Last edited by TMI: 02-16-2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: no
Old
02-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Mr Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
To be fair, his one "mistake" was intentionally sucker punching someone from behind and driving him into the ice nearly one month after the Moore/Naslund incident. I'm pretty sure the two teams met again before Bertuzzi made his "mistake".

But that's neither here nor there I guess.
He succerpunched Moore cause like Cooke he would'nt back up his sneaky fellon-act. Thats all. Please inform me of Berts previous "acts" before the Moore incident. You have my full attention

Old
02-16-2013, 01:20 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
He succerpunched Moore cause like Cooke he would'nt back up his sneaky fellon-act. Thats all. Please inform me of Berts previous "acts" before the Moore incident. You have my full attention
I never said anything about Bertuzzi having a record of violent acts before the hit. Re-read my post. I called into question the adjective you used to describe the incident itself, "mistake". Moore DID back up the hit. He fought in the very game in which he was attacked by Bertuzzi. He fought Matt Cooke.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=240308022

Oddly enough today marks the 9 year anniversary of the Naslund hit from which all of this sparked.

Last edited by TMI: 02-16-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old
02-16-2013, 01:20 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

And now that the Bertuzzi stuff is all settled, let's get back on topic.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:24 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
Eugene Melnyk is a complete embarrassment to the league and the Sens organization.
Agreed. it's one thing to be upset, but he's letting his emotions cloud his judgement. There was nothing in that play that showed intent

Old
02-16-2013, 01:28 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Agreed. it's one thing to be upset, but he's letting his emotions cloud his judgement. There was nothing in that play that showed intent
Other than his actions.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
Is it self-explanatory how you know all this? Are you his counselor or therapist? Speculating on such things really is pointless--and That is self-explanatory.
The self explanatory was in regards to the Osgood video and how it was relevant. Which I'm guessing you knew cause it was self explanatory.

Nope not his counselor. Just takes basic common sense and reasoning to figure out.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:36 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heh View Post
Thx for the explanation. Now. I have been teaching martial arts and self-defence for more than 10 years. In several practices people are fully aware where their limbs are and how they move.
The Cooke´s movement is something used in the street from both front and behind. Any person who practices something developing the movement and self-awareness of the body is fully aware where they move and how.
From my professional point of view, it was highly likely intentional. Maybe not to hurt that much, but to cause at least pain. I have seen the video in HD several times from several angles and I think, it might have been intentional.
If Cooke gets a revenge, he had it coming.

P.S. I am not from Sweden, I am not a Sens fan, I am not biased against the Pens.
So from your professional point of view, which can be called into question for obvious reasons, you think Cooke was capable of intentionally doing this on purpose while looking the opposite way? So you feel as though he spends his free time training for such occasions? Why would he do that? Is it reasonable to think he would spend his time training a technique that he would, in reality, only be able to use once without supplemental punishment? It seems to be that "it was an accident" is more reasonable a conclusion.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:42 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolley325 View Post
can this be closed now
Normally I would just delete this, but I want to reply since others likely feel the same way.

This is an on-going topic of considerable interest to hockey fans. It will not be closed at present time.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:43 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
He didn't say he was close to slicing his head off. He said people would still defend him if he had. It was a dangerous play where I'd he had made contact it could of been very ugly and it shows that Cooke us not above taking those risks. You can't really argue against that.
Actually, that is exactly what he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno Bench View Post
Yes, he might as well have slized Osgoods head off and people here would still call it "irrellevant, freak accident, it happens, skates are sharp ya now, his wife was sick so Osgood had it coming"..

Old
02-16-2013, 01:45 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
So from your professional point of view, which can be called into question for obvious reasons, you think Cooke was capable of intentionally doing this on purpose while looking the opposite way? So you feel as though he spends his free time training for such occasions? Why would he do that? Is it reasonable to think he would spend his time training a technique that he would, in reality, only be able to use once without supplemental punishment? It seems to be that "it was an accident" is more reasonable a conclusion.
Does he have to look at his feet to skate too or can he put them where he wants while looking at something else?

Old
02-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
No he didn't read the second sentence. You aren't getting it.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:48 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

Quote:
Lol what? Anyhow, Cookes reaction to the play shows me his intent. Someone who isn't guilty, does not react the way he did, when there's someone is screaming in pain like that. He knew damn well why he was screaming.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:48 PM
3rdLiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Does he have to look at his feet to skate too or can he put them where he wants while looking at something else?
Yeah, the "he wasn't looking" excuse is pretty lame. People realize these guys dangle through traffic, snipe corners and even deflect 90mph slap shots while not looking at there sticks right?

I dont think you have be physically looking at your foot to kick down on something.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:49 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
I'm glad you picked out that one part of my post. I was calling into question the likelihood of Matt Cooke actually training to do this since the poster to whom I was replying suggested that people who train can do this easily. Let's get back to the point of my post, shall we? Do you think Matt Cooke spends his spare time training to do moves like this, just waiting to unleash them on unsuspecting players? Keep in mind I'm not asking if you think it was intentional. I'm asking if you think he literally trains to do it.

Old
Lux Aurumque*

Just watched the video for the first time. I hate Matt Cooke, but theres absolutely ZERO chance that this was intentional, and don't understand how anybody could possibly think it was. Some people are way too biased.

Old
Uno Bench
Swedish citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Yep exactly what I said.

Closed Thread