HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Blair Jones

Old
02-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langdon Alger View Post
I wouldn't mind it. Sign Arnott on the cheap, give him PP time to pump up his numbers some, and flip him for a pick at the deadline once we're out of it.
Arnott has to be put through waivers, so a team might claim him. He wasn't signed because he failed his phyiscal in New York.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:00 PM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

I think this is a poor move by Calgary. He is a very hard worker, high energy. Perfect bottom line player. Don't know if he gets picked up, but he should.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Langdon Alger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Arnott has to be put through waivers, so a team might claim him. He wasn't signed because he failed his phyiscal in New York.
Isn't the waivers thing only for players who've played overseas during the NHL season?

Langdon Alger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:04 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Sounds like the perfect fit for the Oilers. Which means Tambo does nothing.

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Puckgenius*

Of the 4th liners he has looked the BEST.
Yet he is on waivers? It should be Comeau, comeau isnt even an NHler, hes beyond terrible.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Under the old rules he would have had to clear waivers if he had played professional hockey after the season started. Under the new rules there are no re-entry waivers so that may be applicable to players who played professional during the season.

But Arnott has been injured and not playing professionally, so it wouldn't matter.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:46 PM
FrontenacSens

I could see Ottawa claiming him whether that's for Binghamton or Ottawa I don't know

FrontenacSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

He will clear, but I think someone should claim him, especially a team like us who need bodies.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
He will clear, but I think someone should claim him, especially a team like us who need bodies.
I think there is a deal in the works of he clears. This works well for a team that has a shorter term injury in their bottom 6 or want some depth in case they lose a center down the road. In both cases already clearing waivers would be an asset since they wouldn't have to waive him themselves for 30 days.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:02 PM
ikeane

Welome to Chicago Mr. Jones. Hawks can use him

ikeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

I've actually never heard of this guy.

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:25 PM
3rdEye
HF Official Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
I've actually never heard of this guy.
There's a reason for that.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:57 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Are the Flames keeping Steve Bégin because Hartley likes him or is he really useful?
He's not the worst, but he's basically a decent fourth liner. I'd take Jones over Begin any day, but in the grand scheme of things the difference probably isn't huge. Jones is better and younger, but we're still comparing fourth liners who play similar styles.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:11 PM
flameaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Buffalo's been one of the poorest teams at faceoffs. Without Ott we'd be losing every draw every night. We need to consider Jones. I'd be more comfortable with him on the fourth line than Hecht at this point. We need someone who can win draws consistently besides Ott. He's cheap, why not take a chance? We wouldn't have to play Scott/McCormick every night either.
Come to think of it, I could see a team like Buffalo claiming him. He's cheap, has good size (6'2" 215 lbs). A natural center, he's over 50% on draws. He can kill penalties and is also a high energy player. Just don't expect a lot of offence from him.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:48 PM
CorsiCounter

I hope someone picks him up.

CorsiCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:59 PM
Reign Nateo

There are teams icing worse 4th line centres. Could get claimed. Contract only issue, teams may not want to commit another year to him unless they've scouted him and think he's a fit.

Reign Nateo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 08:28 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Next years contract shouldn't really matter. Just buy him out with one of the two amnesty buyouts if he isn't in the plans for next year.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Well they can't take a chance without making a trade since the roster is full.

They only have two players they can freely move (Foligno and Hodgson, who are not worth dumping for a waiver pickup), waiver eligible Brennan, and timebomb that they already let explode on them Grigorenko (waiver exempt but has already burned an ELC year and once he's re-assigned, cannot be recalled).
Leave it to a dumbass like Regier to build a flawed team with little opportunity to improve.
Well, not that I think it will happen, but we could just waive Brennan or McCormick. I'd take Jones over McCormick that's for sure. Sure McCormick brings the toughness aspect but Jones brings more of what we need in faceoffs and PKing. I'd much rather have Jones centering the fourth line than either McCormick or Hecht.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:35 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

I hope Jones gets picked up. Good guy with decent skills and a fearless nature. The Flames are making a big mistake waiving Jones when they have Comeau and Jackman they could easily waive and who deserve to be in the minors. For a team that lacks character and consistent work ethic, Jones was one of the few who showed each every game.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:17 AM
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy

with the loss of Malhotra maybe it's someone the Canucks should take a look at if he last that long, too bad he's not a lefty

JayBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:13 AM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

why would you put a waiver claim on a 4th liner? he'll pass through, and teams would rather use their home grown talent anyways

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:35 AM
Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
I hope Jones gets picked up. Good guy with decent skills and a fearless nature. The Flames are making a big mistake waiving Jones when they have Comeau and Jackman they could easily waive and who deserve to be in the minors. For a team that lacks character and consistent work ethic, Jones was one of the few who showed each every game.
While I definitely agree with you on that, there is obviously a reason that Jones is the one being put on waivers. Perhaps he is the most likely 4th liner to be claimed? Seems to me like the Flames are making room for a move.

I definitely like Jones, but in reality he is what he is - and energy player on the 4th line. Better than this linemates, but that is probably the exact reason he is on waivers. Nobody is going to claim Comeau or Begin. I doubt Jackman gets claimed either. Smells like the Flames trying to get one of their contract spots open.

Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:02 AM
Remember2004

Now to get rid of Comeau... a 1st and Comeau for 7th... Anyone?? Thats the only way were going to be able to get rid of him. Its odd though especially when Backlund/Sven isn't ready yet.

Remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:40 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhart View Post
While I definitely agree with you on that, there is obviously a reason that Jones is the one being put on waivers. Perhaps he is the most likely 4th liner to be claimed? Seems to me like the Flames are making room for a move.

I definitely like Jones, but in reality he is what he is - and energy player on the 4th line. Better than this linemates, but that is probably the exact reason he is on waivers. Nobody is going to claim Comeau or Begin. I doubt Jackman gets claimed either. Smells like the Flames trying to get one of their contract spots open.
If this is the strategy I have to question the competence of management. Feasted has a terrible habit of leaving contract slots available, then filling them during the season with players with zero upside. In back-to-back seasons Feaster has wasted a contract on Kolanos and Taylor, two career minor leaguers. His decision making and vision for the future is down right awful. Add in the handling of the prospects on the farm and you have a team with no idea what they are doing. This is a team that should be building to the future but is stuck in trying to compete now with aging players at all professional levels leading the way. The future should be looking brighter but it is getting darker as management and coaches continue to focus on trying to win now and not invest in the future. This is a team with no plan and on the verge of being in complete disarray. Disarray will hit when Feaster sits in Iginla and Kiprusoff, rather than trading them, and Iginla signs elsewhere over the summer and Kipper retires, foregoing the final year of his contract. Can you feel it? It's coming. This team is garbage and the temperature is rising.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Jones cleared.

No one claimed the borderline NHL player, shocking!

Also Hartley was quoted saying they need more and that there were things he can't talk about. This tells me there was a behind the scene reason he was waived.