HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Karlsson Injured Part III [YT#1] Lacerated Achilles, Surgery Required, Out Indef.

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 01:50 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BourqueStevens View Post
Yeah, the "he wasn't looking" excuse is pretty lame. People realize these guys dangle through traffic, snipe corners and even deflect 90mph slap shots while not looking at there sticks right?

I dont think you have be physically looking at your foot to kick down on something.
Again, the point of my post is being ignored. No, it doesn't really matter that he wasn't looking. It was a line I included to portray what was going on. Maybe if you guys would actually read what I wrote instead of assuming since I disagree with your opinions that it was intentional I must be some Matt Cooke apologist you would realize I'm just calling out terrible arguments.

02-16-2013, 01:51 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

TBH, I am not even sure why the argument persists.

Virtually every hockey person (present company excluded, with apologies to the message board experts) at every level has gone on record and stated that this was an accident, a hockey play gone bad, a sad event that wasn't Cooke's intent, etc etc...

If people can't accept that from the leading hockey minds in the NHL, there is virtually no chance they will accept anything short of God himself posting and saying it is so.

If we went with the non-NHL people, here's what we learn: some players should just retire because it does not matter what they do today, only what they did in the past. That is the measure of guilt. And organizations are against Swedes and their logos suck.

That's enough for one day, I guess.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:52 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

To add, you don't have to be looking at the ice to try to plant your skate when you're out of position with one foot raised off of the ice either, though not looking can lead to accidents like this one. Are we all now satisfied that where he was looking doesn't matter for more than just setting the scene?

Old
02-16-2013, 01:53 PM
hadrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
Just watched the video for the first time. I hate Matt Cooke, but theres absolutely ZERO chance that this was intentional, and don't understand how anybody could possibly think it was. Some people are way too biased.
Seeing as how people have been referencing murder investigations and martial arts training to back up their belief that it was intentional, I would guess it's because they've never played hockey.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
TBH, I am not even sure why the argument persists.

Virtually every hockey person (present company excluded, with apologies to the message board experts) at every level has gone on record and stated that this was an accident, a hockey play gone bad, a sad event that wasn't Cooke's intent, etc etc...

If people can't accept that from the leading minds in the NHL, there is virtually no chance they will accpet anything short of God himself posting and saying it is so.

If we went with the non-NHL people, here's what we learn: some players should just retire because it does not matter what they do today, only what they did in the past. That is the measure of guilt. And organizations are racist against Swedes and their logos suck.

That's enough for one day, I guess.
It persists because expert opinions are not the be all end all of assessing anything. If they were most trials would be over on a day and there would be no need for juries and judges.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:54 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm glad you picked out that one part of my post. I was calling into question the likelihood of Matt Cooke actually training to do this since the poster to whom I was replying suggested that people who train can do this easily. Let's get back to the point of my post, shall we? Do you think Matt Cooke spends his spare time training to do moves like this, just waiting to unleash them on unsuspecting players? Keep in mind I'm not asking if you think it was intentional. I'm asking if you think he literally trains to do it.
He is well trained to know where his feet are without looking at em. He's also trained to know where his opponents feet will be when he's pinning em against the boards. A guy doesn't need practice to figure out how to step on an ankle.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:55 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
He is well trained to know where his feet are without looking at em. He's also trained to know where his opponents feet will be when he's pinning em against the boards. A guy doesn't need practice to figure out how to step on an ankle.
Really? Hockey players know exactly where another player's feet are when they aren't looking?

I'm done with this one.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
To add, you don't have to be looking at the ice to try to plant your skate when you're out of position with one foot raised off of the ice either, though not looking can lead to accidents like this one. Are we all now satisfied that where he was looking doesn't matter for more than just setting the scene?
where he was looking is inconsequential, Imo. The problem is with the way he was moving his foot he didn't seem to be attempting to set his skate. If he was it would of came down and back towards his body. Not down and out away from his body.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:00 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
where he was looking is inconsequential, Imo. The problem is with the way he was moving his foot he didn't seem to be attempting to set his skate. If he was it would of came down and back towards his body. Not down and out away from his body.
We will just have to agree to disagree. I'm done arguing about it. My patience is limited today, unfortunately.

Old
Syckle78

Quote:
Really? Hockey players know exactly where another player's feet are when he isn't looking?

I'm done with this one.
His knee was on the back of his thigh. If his intention was to kick he had a pretty iod idea where to direct his foot.

Old
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
It persists because expert opinions are not the be all end all of assessing anything. If they were most trials would be over on a day and there would be no need for juries and judges.
We also have video (which everyone with an expert opinion has seen) and the testimony of the accused. Even Bryan Murray has backed off of his earlier comments.

Still not enough.

HIS PAST!!!!

Old
02-16-2013, 02:01 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

No question Cooke knew why he was screaming like that. So what would a normal person who didn't do anything intentionally do, when they just realized they 'accidentally' sliced someone open like that? Definitely not pretend like they didn't notice. They'd stop and call for immediate help. Not skate off and not even look his way. Try telling me he didn't know why Karlsson screaming.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
We will just have to agree to disagree. I'm done arguing about it. My patience is limited today, unfortunately.
Fair enough. Have a good day.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:03 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
This is entirely inaccurate. Just wanted to point that out. The first point is correct. The second is not.

Old
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryedog View Post
No question Cooke knew why he was screaming like that. So what would a normal person who didn't do anything intentionally do, when they just realized they 'accidentally' sliced someone open like that? Definitely not pretend like they didn't notice. They'd stop and call for immediate help. Not skate off and not even look his way. Try telling me he didn't know why Karlsson screaming.
Opposing players stopping and calling for immediate help?

Yeah that is a common occurance.

I've seen Haley's Comet more often than I have seen this.

Last edited by fly4apuckguy: 02-16-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old
JMiller

Quote:
Really? Hockey players know exactly where another player's feet are when he isn't looking?

I'm done with this one.
When pinning them to the boards like Cooke was and has done thousands of times before?Absolutely.

Old
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Fair enough. Have a good day.
You as well.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Steckel didn't look back to see who he hit.

I change my previous assessment, David Steckel is a stone cold, misanthropic murderer!

Last edited by Zen Arcade: 02-16-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old
02-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
This is entirely inaccurate. Just wanted to point that out. The first point is correct. The second is not.
It is in the context of what I was referring to. And perhaps I exaggerated a bit, but my point was valid none the less.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:09 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
We also have video (which everyone with an expert opinion has seen) and the testimony of the accused. Even Bryan Murray has backed off of his earlier comments.

Still not enough.

HIS PAST!!!!
There's just no reasoning with some people. It's obvious to everyone besides some Sens fans that this was simply an accident

Old
02-16-2013, 02:10 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

Quote:
Opposing players stopping and calling for immediate help?

Yeah that is a common occurance.

I've seen Haley's Commet more often than I have seen this.
We're not talking about some average body check here, where someone may have tweaked something. You're trying to tell me Cooke had no idea why he was screaming like that, and that it was serious? Too many kids on these boards.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:11 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Steckel didn't look back to see who he hit.

I change my previous assessment, David Steckel is a stone cold, misanthropic murder!
Big difference between a hit and a skate blade. Apparently not to you though.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:14 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
We're not talking about some average body check here, where someone may have tweaked something. You're trying to tell me Cooke had no idea why he was screaming like that, and that it was serious? Too many kids on these boards.
I am 42 years old. But in a weird way I thank you.

Cooke probably wouldn't care why he was screaming. I know I wouldn't. I would assume he banged his knee or something. My first thought would not be..."Oh, no, a tendon just got cut. That is the scream of a tendon cut! I need to alert someone!"

You are giving Cooke way too much credit.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:16 PM
oilexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
There's just no reasoning with some people. It's obvious to everyone besides some Sens fans that this was simply an accident
I am not a Sens fan
I am not Swedish

I believe that Cooke was subtle in his kicking motion and did it on purpose as a dirty play

I will disagree with the experts (which i respect) that it was a normal hockey play

Old
02-16-2013, 02:16 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

1,000 posts

Closed Thread