I thought about making this topic, but I missed the post button. Jets lose 3-1

Old
02-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Well if there is a good season to suck it is this one. Short and a good draft pool. I will continue to be entertained by individual games, knowing playoffs are not going to happen. Looking to October already. Sigh.
That is a very good perspective in my own view. I think those most disappointed around here are victims of their own unrealistic expectations. This team has holes all throughout the lineup and a threadbare prospect pool and is likely several years away yet from true contention.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:42 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

vCash: 500
A few things...

One of the Jets biggest weaknesses is the last 20 seconds of the penalty kill. They really need to work on this and conserve more energy.

Stop taking penalties in the last 7 minutes of the game. Stop.

Can't wait for Mittens return. I miss the line with Machacek.

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasontixholder View Post
Unfortunately I don't see the Jets making a big trade for Perry and Getzlaf (just an example). I would love to be proved wrong though.
The thing is, I think management has to see a reason to go after Getzlaf and Perry. If we were battling every night, and were in a playoff position, they might see Perry and Getzlaf as being the tonic to get us over the hump. If we continue to flounder sub 500 making a huge financial commitment to just be a playoff squeaker makes no sense. That is how you become the Calgary Flames.

02-16-2013, 01:52 PM
seasontixholder

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
To what end?..

Are these contracts preventing TN from picking up someone new?.. Are these contracts the reason the team is ****?... Are these contracts mandatory to be in the lineup every night and holding someone else back from playing?..

I don't see how or why this team will become instantly better once these guys' contracts expire. And forgive me from jumping to conclusions, but Chevy doesn't seem like a guy who will overpay for a bunch of guys in free agency.
Do we consider the fact that we have an AHL GM and an AHL coach. Chevy was an assistant in Chicago. Not bashing but just asking.

seasontixholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:53 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasontixholder View Post
Do we consider the fact that we have an AHL GM and an AHL coach. Chevy was an assistant in Chicago. Not bashing but just asking.
Coaches and GM's have to come from somewhere - its not as if they pop out the womb fully formed and ready to deal with the NHL, no?

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:59 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
That is a very good perspective in my own view. I think those most disappointed around here are victims of their own unrealistic expectations. This team has holes all throughout the lineup and a threadbare prospect pool and is likely several years away yet from true contention.
Exactly Gump.
People's expectations are too high

Yes, I think we all want to have a playoff team, but this team is mediocre and a bubble team at best.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Huffer

The Jets gave up a bad goal early, but then pretty much played the Pens to a draw (and from outside oberevers actually carried the play) for the rest of the game but then got scored on after a pretty questionable call to seal the game.

I think Gumps post pretty much nails it. The whining, complaining, and *****ing in the GDT would be comical if it wasn't so pathetic.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
The Jets gave up a bad goal early, but then pretty much played the Pens to a draw (and from outside oberevers actually carried the play) for the rest of the game but then got scored on after a pretty questionable call to seal the game.

I think Gumps post pretty much nails it. The whining, complaining, and *****ing in the GDT would be comical if it wasn't so pathetic.
I don't really think it's pathetic. When you love your team and are passionate about it, you hate losing. I don't think this loss would have felt so bad had we not already been 2-5 in our last 7.

I just think people are weary of losing.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:26 PM
seasontixholder

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Coaches and GM's have to come from somewhere - its not as if they pop out the womb fully formed and ready to deal with the NHL, no?
I understand that, but maybe its time to starting thinking like an NHL club and forgetting about how the Moose were run?

seasontixholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
I don't really think it's pathetic. When you love your team and are passionate about it, you hate losing. I don't think this loss would have felt so bad had we not already been 2-5 in our last 7.

Never said anything about hating losing. I don't like to see this team lose either.

Whining and complaining like the Jets should have gone 48-0, and every mistake either means either that the player should be run out of the NHL, or that our Coach and GM should find new work is pathetic IMO.

Constructive criticism and discussion = good.

Whining and complaining about everything? Reminds me discussions with a 4 year old.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Snot Rocket

vCash: 800
Quote:

Yep...

Snot Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Never said anything about hating losing. I don't like to see this team lose either.

Whining and complaining like the Jets should have gone 48-0, and every mistake either means either that the player should be run out of the NHL, or that our Coach and GM should find new work is pathetic IMO.

Whining and complaining about everything? Reminds me discussions with a 4 year old.
Unfortunately I find myself whining a lot when the Jets are losing. I am just too invested in this team I think.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Unfortunately I find myself whining a lot when the Jets are losing. I am just too invested in this team I think.
I know what you are saying. I am massively invested in this team as well. Always have been back to when Jets 1.0 existed.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:47 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Chevy also has had ton of success in every level he's been in...
I don't agree with every deal but he's yet to do anything terrible...
You can't blame the guy for stuff that hasn't happen since we don't know what he has and hasn't tried. Plus you can't really build from trades... It only helps for strengthening areas of weakness from areas of strength, and we don't exactly have an area of excess...

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Yep, I mentioned in another thread, that in the last decade the Bruins, Penguins, Hawks, and Kings were all teams that were sub-500, heck 25-30 wins a season even at some point. And they all went on to win the cup. I'm not in this for a year, or three. I'm in this for 20+...the rest of my life, I guess.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Andy6
Court Jetster

Quote:

I agree. You could complain if every game were like Tampa Bay. Not when you play the Flyers and Penguins evenly and happen not to have any bounces go your way (except for Ladd). Just be patient. The bounces will even out. I predict we'll go on a tear on the road trip.

Andy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Hansen Brother

A full blown rebuild has to take what, five years? In reality we are about three years in given that Waddell did year one. Probably about two or three years to go before we get there.

I would like to see Chevy do something too but the prospect cupboard was laid quite bare by the trades to bring in Buff and Ladd. Our only position of organizational strength is RD. Even that though, we can afford to trade Postma, that's about it. In a year or two when Trouba comes up we can spare another player (Buff for my money but we'll see).

Next year with Scheifele we will see the first trickle of players coming in from Winnipeg's drafting. In another year or two after that hopefully the stream will turn into a torrent and we'll have lots of assets to trade. The future still looks good.

With all that said it is hugely annoying to be able to hang with Pittsburgh and just not be able to put them away.

Hansen Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I agree. You could complain if every game were like Tampa Bay. Not when you play the Flyers and Penguins evenly and happen not to have any bounces go your way (except for Ladd). Just be patient. The bounces will even out. I predict we'll go on a tear on the road trip.
My thoughts exactly Andy6.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:55 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyhaze View Post
Little>Burmi, although I would like us to keep both guys, I see burmi as more of a bottom 6 guy, an energry line player/pker. The guy simply does not put up points, on any level.

Also just curious, but if we get rid of hainsey who is gonna step up to fill that role?
A quick glance at Burmi's draft mates

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2010e.html

Honestly he holds Up pretty well against this group. there has been more than one night this season where he has been our best forward. I know the points have to start coming and I believe they will. For now let's breath and enjoy the YOUNG mans 200 foot game.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:02 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
It only helps for strengthening areas of weakness from areas of strength, and we don't exactly have an area of excess...
Oh no?

- Lots of draft picks(Chicagos 2nd and 3rd, #59 in 2013, NJD 4th in 2014, 2013 7ths are a wash)
- Lots of centers (Little, Burmistrov, Antropov, Wellwood, Jokinen, Slater, Wright, Scheifele)
- Offensive RHD (Byfuglien, Bogosian, Postma, Trouba, and Redmond kinda/sorta)
- Cap space
- Owner with deep pockets

Sure we're not loaded with assets like other teams, but we do have chips in the race.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:17 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Those chips will be used to continue building. We do need to draft an allstar franchise player.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:50 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen Brother View Post
I would like to see Chevy do something too but the prospect cupboard was laid quite bare by the trades to bring in Buff and Ladd.
Really?

NJ's very late first and second picks? A second from two years ago? Jeremy morin? Ivan vishnevsky?

Not having these things really prevents him from doing anything?

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:59 PM
peg

Wow. I guess I am one of the few wearing rose coloured glasses. Sure there are lots of blemishes, but with all of our flaws we still outplayed a very talented Penguin team and had the puck bounced a little different would have ended up on top. We are playing with the second or third youngest team in the league. Without radical changes, our core group is only going to get better and better.

Chevy has corrected a major flaw on the team from last year, and that was a lack of size. We are now one of the biggest teams in the league. While I hate losing Enstrom for any length of time, his lack of size limited his ability to clear the front of the net, a big part of our weakness on the PK. With Enstrom out of the line up we are left with a core group of D that are all 6'2" or bigger, all with weight. We shouldn't get pushed around in our own end anymore. The return of Bogo is HUGE!

Bounces will start going our way. Only a matter of time until some of our talented forwards loosen the grip on their sticks and start lighting the lamp. Evander might even figure out that he doesn't have to get rid of the puck the instant it hits his stick. When that happens his upside will be ginormous! As hard as it may seem after last year, an extended road trip may be just what the doctor has ordered for the Jets, where they can settle down and come together without all the pressure that is coming from an impatient local fan base.

I'm still saving my pennies for those playoff tickets. This could turn around really quickly.

peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:59 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:

I think your expectations of this team are too high

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 05:02 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:

Yea this x 100 I hate losing but people need to grow up a bit....and it's not just the Jets boards it's all the boards.

I like the recaps like Lynk does where he calls it like he sees it but does so in a constructive and entertaining fashion.....or garret and truck where they give us the numbers. where it gets so mind numbing is when we become the 1290 drive home show and it's time to fire sale the team off.....and pretty much after every loss

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote