HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vladimir Tarasenko (NHL) Discussion Thread (IV)

Old
02-05-2013, 03:10 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I like "Mcsteenko" as a line name.
I don't know...I kind of like Frank
& Beans.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le BlueNote View Post
I disagree. Halak has almost the same GAA and %sv as Quick & Rinne. Hank was the best goalie last year, no doubt but I really consider Halak as a top 5 goalie in the NHL. If he's not elite, he's very close at least.
Can't base elite goalie status off of stats. Halak isn't anywhere near close to elite status.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:04 AM
Kardi

Since Vlady's rookie of the month he's been cold. Played under 11 minutes yesterday -2?

Kardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:28 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardi View Post
Since Vlady's rookie of the month he's been cold. Played under 11 minutes yesterday -2?
They are watching him a little more and running him a bit. He is just going to have to play above it.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

He was invisible against Anaheim. I was not happy. In that game if he didn't have the puck, or think he was gonna get it, he didn't skate at all. He looked sooooooo lazy

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:35 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

no points and minus 5 last week for one of my hfboards yahoo fantasy leauge RW. Oh boy....

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
He was invisible against Anaheim. I was not happy. In that game if he didn't have the puck, or think he was gonna get it, he didn't skate at all. He looked sooooooo lazy
I don't think he looks lazy, I think he looks tired.
He seems somewhat overwhelmed thy the physical play. Not overly so, but it looks like he is worried about keeping his head from being knocked off.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
I don't think he looks lazy, I think he looks tired.
He seems somewhat overwhelmed thy the physical play. Not overly so, but it looks like he is worried about keeping his head from being knocked off.
Well whatever it was, he looked awful. He was entirely too tentative and didn't move his feet at all.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Big Al 2

A big part of it is the guys are trying to set him up eventhough hhe's covered instead of putting the puck on the net. I know he needs to work harder to get open, but no one has don't anything to take the spotlight off of him for the opposing d. Hit the post last night on that deflection, that was unfortunate

Big Al 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:06 AM
Kshahdoo

He still has the second most points on the team amongst forwards. And leads all rookies (or 2nd, don't remember). Sure transition from one league to another, from one team to another can't be easy. But it doean't help, that the team wasn't great in those last games as well. I mean, it's hard to expect that a rookie can fix problems Blues have (or, I hope, had). If the team looked great and Tarasenko was bad, that would be a different story.

Last edited by Kshahdoo: 02-14-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:23 PM
Zine

Why is Tarasenko playing small minutes?

People were mad at SKA for this, but now it happens with St. Louis? Tarasenko leads the team in goals, 2nd in shots, and 2nd in points for forwards.

Is he being punished for playing in the KHL during the lockout?

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:41 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post

People were mad at SKA for this, but now it happens with St. Louis? Tarasenko leads the team in goals, 2nd in shots, and 2nd in points for forwards.

no not at all. he's just not a shutdown guy like backes and oshie etc. look at the time all the other rookies are playing.

I do wish we would get him up to the 16-17 minute mark per game but we just got to be patient and it will all come together. I trust hitch's decisions.

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:14 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:

He's not always playing in the system. On defense, he's not always in the right place. I think its just a learning process, and a bit of a communication issue. It just happens that the Blues have a lot of depth on the wing, and can afford to bring him along slowly.

He's good at creating plays and making dangerous opportunities. But he's not a PK guy (yet) and he's disappeared for stretches within games. I view it as a bit of fatigue. He's getting physically pounded in a way he never has before.

His minutes reflect good coaching and not putting too much responsibility on him too quickly. He's being put into situations to succeed. He's going to be a star in the league for a long time.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Alklha

Quote:

The decision over whether Tarasenko played in the AHL or the KHL during the lockout was in the hands of the Blues organization, not Tarasenko. He said he'd rather play in Russia, and the Blues were happy to allow him to do so.

The complaints over the ice time Tarasenko received were at SKA last season. Where he got 11-12 minutes a game and was by far their most dangerous player in the playoffs.

This season he averaged 14:47 a game for SKA and there weren't any real complaints. He has averaged 14:27 with the Blues, and considering the fact he is still adjusting to the NHL, that is pretty good.

You say he is leading the team in goals, with Berglund and Stewart. Stewart get's a whole 7 seconds more ice time a game and when you ignore Berglund's SH ice time, then he is only getting about 30 seconds more.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:42 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
He's not always playing in the system. On defense, he's not always in the right place. I think its just a learning process, and a bit of a communication issue. It just happens that the Blues have a lot of depth on the wing, and can afford to bring him along slowly.

He's good at creating plays and making dangerous opportunities. But he's not a PK guy (yet) and he's disappeared for stretches within games. I view it as a bit of fatigue. He's getting physically pounded in a way he never has before.

His minutes reflect good coaching and not putting too much responsibility on him too quickly. He's being put into situations to succeed. He's going to be a star in the league for a long time.
^ exactly

Old
02-16-2013, 12:18 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Read the latest Scott Burnside "Inside the Blues" article regarding why Tarasenko's minutes evaporate at times.

I'm not going to lie, I thought Tarasenko would be more of an impactful player when he's not contributing on the scoresheet.

I understand the kid has a lot to learn on the defensive side of the puck but I've been a little underwhelmed by his compete level.

Hitchcock calls him out in the article.

(Also slightly funny that he didn't understand what "cheating" meant)

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:59 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Read the latest Scott Burnside "Inside the Blues" article regarding why Tarasenko's minutes evaporate at times.

I'm not going to lie, I thought Tarasenko would be more of an impactful player when he's not contributing on the scoresheet.

I understand the kid has a lot to learn on the defensive side of the puck but I've been a little underwhelmed by his compete level.

Hitchcock calls him out in the article.

you have a link?

Old
02-16-2013, 01:07 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
you have a link?
Sure thing.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/89...n-first-period

Old
02-16-2013, 01:20 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

awesome. Just read both of them great reads. can't wait to see what he writes after last nights game. I really do hope we start allen in vancouver. See how he can do against one of the NHL's elite teams and see if he can handle the sedins. Sundays gonna be a hell of a battle.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Bluesman91

Need someone other than McDonald on a line with Tarasenko. I'm sorry but McDonald has easily been our worst forward in the top 9.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Alklha

He is looking tired, mentally more than physically. I'm not holding my breath on him being an impact player when he isn't on the scoresheet until he gets a few days off, away from hockey. Which probably won't happen anytime soon.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:02 PM
CarvinSigX

Yeah...This year is tough on players, especially rookies. I'm not worried though, considering all of the other young guns are struggling as well.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:52 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
He is looking tired, mentally more than physically. I'm not holding my breath on him being an impact player when he isn't on the scoresheet until he gets a few days off, away from hockey. Which probably won't happen anytime soon.
I agree but I'm not so sure about your last sentence. Clearly the coaching staff recognizes his play has dropped off and I wouldn't be surprised if he sits for a game or two if he remains hot and cold over the next week. But it wouldn't even be a disciplinary measure. There's clearly a reason why he doesn't have the same jump as he did the first give games and it's because he's played a ridiculous amount of hockey relative to his past. It would be, like you said, just to give him a mental break from the grind of the condensed schedule. I think if the staff wants to maximize the output of the younger guys they should be doing that anyway. Schwartz has been excellent since being scratched.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Slay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
I do hope they make sure they get their point across. I remember an article where Zherdev said he was asked to fight, while playing for the Flyers. He wasn't really asked to fight, but they used that term.

Last edited by Slay: 02-17-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Slay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:11 AM
Alklha

His father has given an interview about him on a Russian site.

He basically says that they talk after each game, and go over his performance and he feels that it is important he has that constant. There is still no formal diagnosis of his condition. He speaks of this as some kind of lesson for Volodya; the next time he has to see it coming, and after that he has to "feel" it coming as instinct.

"This is experience, you can not buy this in a shop, but learn out there on the ice. Everything comes with time, nobody has this immediately. I have not seen any young hockey player reach a high level in their career without stuggles, downs and all that. We have to learn to minimise injuries."

"We have to understand that St. Louis has the same team as last season. Vova is the only rookie. It is always difficult for the new player on a team, plus the fact there are no other Russians. Sergei Zubov helps as much as possible, but it is not the same as a teammate with whom he constantly communicates. Vladimir does not complain, everything has went well. The team has welcomed him; he expected it to be more difficult."

At the start of the season Vladimir scored in almost every game and has now cooled down. Is this also a matter of emotion?
"No. He was in St. Louis and trained with the team in the summer, also in North America for the draft combine. He was not surprised by things after these experiences. So we must say thanks to all the coaches and staff for helping Volodya adapt so quickly."

Also mentions Backes, as veteran and captain, helps him. He lives with Steen, and rooms with Shattenkirk on road trips etc etc.

Not in this interview, but in a Sibir press conference, he has said that Vladimir is feeing well.