HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 02:20 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
Am I the only on that picks mackinnon over jones with #1 pick? I think he would be more useful with that pick
Either one for me thanks! But I give the edge to Jones because the idea of Travis and Seth owning other clubs from the blueline makes me pretty happy.

Think about what we would have:
Hamonic: 6' 1", 206 lbs, good in all situations. Physical leader.
Reinhart: 6' 4", 207 lbs, Shut down defenseman. Physical leader.
Jones, 6'3", 201 lbs, does everything better than most. Physical leader, PP QB, shut down defenseman, puck mover...

I used to watch Al MacInnis and Chris Pronger shut teams down all on their own. At times it wasn't even fair, like throwing flys at a glue trap unfair. They'd own the PP, the PK, 5 on 5 in your zone and theirs... It was a scary display of defensive prowess. Those three guys on the blueline if they hit even 70% of their full potential... Screw the offense, we would own games from the blue line.

The 70's Dynasty Habs did that as well with Savard, LaPointe and Robinson. They were known as The Big Three. If only...

Old
02-13-2013, 02:58 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Either one for me thanks! But I give the edge to Jones because the idea of Travis and Seth owning other clubs from the blueline makes me pretty happy.

Jones, 6'3", 201 lbs, does everything better than most. Physical leader, PP QB, shut down defenseman, puck mover...
Mayfield, Scott: 6' 4", 203 lbs, Loves the physical side of the game. Excellent skater for his size with good puck moving ability and improving offensive ability at the University of Denver. 2nd round pick, 34th overall in 2011 draft.

I used to watch Al MacInnis and Chris Pronger shut teams down all on their own. At times it wasn't even fair, like throwing flys at a glue trap unfair. They'd own the PP, the PK, 5 on 5 in your zone and theirs... It was a scary display of defensive prowess. Those three guys on the blueline if they hit even 70% of their full potential... Screw the offense, we would own games from the blue line.

The 70's Dynasty Habs did that as well with Savard, LaPointe and Robinson. They were known as The Big Three. If only...
Fixed with the bolded section.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:40 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
I don't thin we would get lucky enough to land Seth, but I'm with you on Zadarov. The kid is big, nasty and talented. He is as ready to step into an NHL role as Seth I believe. The other players (other than Seth) will take at least 3 years before they step in.
I think Garth is going to ensure that luck is essentially removed from the equation and replaced by odds. And since the odds of picking first are higher when finishing last, its a good time to mention that the Isles are now officially tied for the fewest points in the league.

And with Streit and Visnovsky and Nabokov very possibly traded by the deadline for picks/prospects (made possible by the Thomas cap hit acquisition), taking sole possession of last place is pretty much in Snow's control. Snow probably still has a bitter taste in his mouth after having to beg Columbus for their pick (by allegedly offering all of the Isles' picks, in an unsuccessful attempt to get Ryan Murray) in order to possess the most NHL ready d-man in the draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Seth Jones was meant to be a BROOKLYN Islander, as his father, Popeye Jones, is an assistant coach with the Brooklyn Nets. Popeye can keep a close eye on Seth at the Barclay's center.
Get ready to be re-united in Brooklyn, Jones family.

Also his would selection complete the 6'4 quartet, and make for perfectly aligned future pairings...

LD - RD
Reinhart '94 - Jones '94
Pedan '93 - Mayfield '92

Last edited by JawandaPuck: 02-13-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Old
02-13-2013, 06:50 AM
Degeneration Rex

Looking at the standings this morning, the Islanders are tied with 3 other teams in the Suck for Seth race.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:30 AM
Wanderson

vCash: 50
Do not forget about Pokka...

Old
02-13-2013, 09:18 AM
AJ68

Seth Jones WJC highlights

I found some really good highlights of Seth Jones at the WJC's

He really looks like the total package. Ridiculously skilled, great skater, big, physical, great breakout passes...fill in the blank.

I would definately take him first overall if we have the oppurtunity. Our defense could really be elite in 3 years if we get him(could still be very good without him, given our depth at D prospects).

Last edited by PWJunior: 02-13-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old
02-13-2013, 09:32 AM
frankieboy

Quote:

I hear you and agree with what you are saying, but I think for possibly a different reason. I actually think Seth Jones may be better from the admittedly limited information I have. One thing you are not mentioning about the 70s Canadiens teams is that they had some incredible forwards, too: Lafleur, Larouche, Lemaire, Cournoyer, Mahovlich, Shutt, Gainey...on and on. Oh, yeah...they also had a pretty good goalie in Dryden, too.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:39 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ68 View Post
I found some really good highlights of Seth Jones at the WJC's

He really looks like the total package. Ridiculously skilled, great skater, big, physical, great breakout passes...fill in the blank.

I would definately take him first overall if we have the oppurtunity. Our defense could really be elite in 3 years if we get him(could still be very good without him, given our depth at D prospects).
Man, his athleticism, vision, hockey sense are just through the roof. Excellent offensive instincts as well, loves to shoot, loves to pass, and an excellent skater. Best overall defensive prospect I've seen in years.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:49 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Man, his athleticism, vision, hockey sense are just through the roof. Excellent offensive instincts as well, loves to shoot, loves to pass, and an excellent skater. Best overall defensive prospect I've seen in years.
Agreed, I feel he is the best prospect since Tavares.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:17 AM
Wanderson

How does the draft lottery work this season?

Old
02-16-2013, 02:40 PM
Konk

As I said last year, Jones is a special player and will go 1st overall, but not to the Islanders. I would have loved to see them get a player like Jones, but they're slightly less terrible this season than they were last year. I'm expecting to see them in the 5-10 range and I would look at either Zadorov or Ristolainen, but I'd bet on Zadorov out of the two. Far more upside if you ask me. He's smarter, more mobile, and seems to have untapped ability whereas Ristolainen is limited in a few areas (IQ, puck skills), but still solid overall.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:50 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
As I said last year, Jones is a special player and will go 1st overall, but not to the Islanders. I would have loved to see them get a player like Jones, but they're slightly less terrible this season than they were last year. I'm expecting to see them in the 5-10 range and I would look at either Zadorov or Ristolainen, but I'd bet on Zadorov out of the two. Far more upside if you ask me. He's smarter, more mobile, and seems to have untapped ability whereas Ristolainen is limited in a few areas (IQ, puck skills), but still solid overall.
I've been very interested in Risto, but for some reason I thought his hockey IQ was one of his strengths. Maybe just I just assumed so because he's been logging so many minutes for his SM ligga team.

Zadorov is also very interesting, but do you think he could be a possible flight risk(even though he's playing in the CHL)?

Regardless, I agree that I prefer going D in the 5-10 range as I find the d-men projected to go in that range more appealing than the forwards projected in that range...maybe with the exception of Lindholm who seems to be getting projected anywhere from 4-6.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Darnel Nurse is flying up the board. Could end up as the second rated d man after Jones
in the draft.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Darnel Nurse is flying up the board. Could end up as the second rated d man after Jones
in the draft.
Could indeed. He is also in that range, but at this point I'm only commenting on players I've watched and I haven't had the chance to see Nurse yet.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
I've been very interested in Risto, but for some reason I thought his hockey IQ was one of his strengths. Maybe just I just assumed so because he's been logging so many minutes for his SM ligga team.
I haven't watched him in Finland, only international tourneys over the years. I do like Ristolainen, I should've elaborated -- he's solid defensively, but offensively his IQ leaves a lot to be desired.

Quote:
Zadorov is also very interesting, but do you think he could be a possible flight risk(even though he's playing in the CHL)?
Not at all.

Quote:
Regardless, I agree that I prefer going D in the 5-10 range as I find the d-men projected to go in that range more appealing than the forwards projected in that range...maybe with the exception of Lindholm who seems to be getting projected anywhere from 4-6.
I think Lindholm is a lock to go top 5, personally.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:41 PM
InformTheMasses

Nurse needs to fill out. He is so lanky and awkward looking. He's very strong but in fights he can get whipped around a bit by older players (19,20 year olds) with bigger frames.

He would be a longer term project, but could be a monster if he fills out and his coordination catches up with his body.

As for Zadorov, I just don't get it. I've seen him play a lot. Not that he's bad I just dont understand taking him in the top 10-15 picks.

I like Pulock and a lot of the Euro defenseman though (Risto, Hagg, Mueller) a couple of those guys seem to be off everyone s radar right now.

Also, there is a kid out of Putnam County, Steve Santini.... I have seen him play in person a lot. Kid is a hell of a player, great kid too.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Konk

Quote:
As for Zadorov, I just don't get it. I've seen him play a lot. Not that he's bad I just dont understand taking him in the top 10-15 picks.
You may not see it, not everyone is going to have the same opinion on the same players, but he's rated top 10 by a lot of scouts.
Quote:
I like Pulock and a lot of the Euro defenseman though (Risto, Hagg, Mueller) a couple of those guys seem to be off everyone s radar right now.
I get to see the WHL a lot and Pulock is solid His biggest asset is his shot and his IQ, but other than that it seems like some people look at the numbers and think of him as a puck-rushing offensive defenseman and he's not. He's opportunistic and has great skills, but he's by no means a Brian Leetch-type. I wonder how his game will translate to the pros, as he's not physical at all and is already physically mature.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:47 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
You may not see it, not everyone is going to have the same opinion on the same players, but he's rated top 10 by a lot of scouts.

I get to see the WHL a lot and Pulock is solid His biggest asset is his shot and his IQ, but other than that it seems like some people look at the numbers and think of him as a puck-rushing offensive defenseman and he's not. He's opportunistic and has great skills, but he's by no means a Brian Leetch-type. I wonder how his game will translate to the pros, as he's not physical at all and is already physically mature.
Pulock has a great shot, and a very heady player (in all zones). You are right, he isn't physical, and I'm actually okay with that, as long as that player doesn't get thrown around and appear soft when they have the puck. If you don't initiate contact fine, but if you're afraid of contact and/or can't handle contact then that is another story. Pulock doesn't appear to let the physical play bother him and it doesn't keep him from going into the corner or winning possession along the boards.

I love hits in hockey, they are so much fun to watch and sometimes play a big role in a victory (physical play). I still think it's overrated, and I say that because often times (and mainly young players like the prospects we're talking about) players take themselves out of position by trying to make a hit, simply for the sake of making a big hit. How many times does a defenceman over pursue an opposing attacker chasing a big hit, make contact and the puck ends up staying in your zone, 1 or two passes later, while the hitter is still trying to get back in position, the puck is in the back of the net. Whereas if the defender just made a smart play and denied passing/shooting options the desired turnover is created and problems are avoided.

It's a personal preference, and I like hits, but only when they are smart and executed properly. Like I said kids struggle with that (and some veterans too, ask our friend Dion P)

Old
02-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Pulock has a great shot, and a very heady player (in all zones). You are right, he isn't physical, and I'm actually okay with that, as long as that player doesn't get thrown around and appear soft when they have the puck. If you don't initiate contact fine, but if you're afraid of contact and/or can't handle contact then that is another story. Pulock doesn't appear to let the physical play bother him and it doesn't keep him from going into the corner or winning possession along the boards.

I love hits in hockey, they are so much fun to watch and sometimes play a big role in a victory (physical play). I still think it's overrated, and I say that because often times (and mainly young players like the prospects we're talking about) players take themselves out of position by trying to make a hit, simply for the sake of making a big hit. How many times does a defenceman over pursue an opposing attacker chasing a big hit, make contact and the puck ends up staying in your zone, 1 or two passes later, while the hitter is still trying to get back in position, the puck is in the back of the net. Whereas if the defender just made a smart play and denied passing/shooting options the desired turnover is created and problems are avoided.

It's a personal preference, and I like hits, but only when they are smart and executed properly. Like I said kids struggle with that (and some veterans too, ask our friend Dion P)
It isn't about hits. Pulock isn't a guy you can count on to clear the net or punish players in the corner. It isn't necessarily a weakness, but with his physical maturity and hesitation to do that at the junior level, I wonder if he'll back off even more in the pros whe he has entire teams that are bigger than him bearing down on him. I don't care if he goes out of his way to lay someone out, I would like to see him take the body more and clear the front of the net -- basic duties of a defenseman. This is something Zadorov and Ristolainen, for example, do with authority.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:09 PM
StrongIslanders90

Besides Fucale,Jarry,and Comrie are there any other goalies who have potential?

IMHO we will def be selecting a Goalie somtime in this draft

Old
02-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Besides Fucale,Jarry,and Comrie are there any other goalies who have potential?

IMHO we will def be selecting a Goalie somtime in this draft
Philippe Desrosiers from Rimouski and a pair of USHL goaltenders Cal Petersen and Eamon McAdam are all highly rated and could be available when the Isles pick in the 3rd round. I would also put Spencer Martin in the top group instead of Jarry and wouldn't be surprised to see Jarry available when the Isles pick in the third round.

There's also Brendan Burke available in later rounds, who is Sean Burke's son.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:09 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
It isn't about hits. Pulock isn't a guy you can count on to clear the net or punish players in the corner. It isn't necessarily a weakness, but with his physical maturity and hesitation to do that at the junior level, I wonder if he'll back off even more in the pros whe he has entire teams that are bigger than him bearing down on him. I don't care if he goes out of his way to lay someone out, I would like to see him take the body more and clear the front of the net -- basic duties of a defenseman. This is something Zadorov and Ristolainen, for example, do with authority.
Sounds like Rathje the pacifist man child. Good positionally, big, strong, but wouldn't hurt a fly if his life depended on it. No thanks to that.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:20 PM
Konk

Quote:
Sounds like Rathje the pacifist man child. Good positionally, big, strong, but wouldn't hurt a fly if his life depended on it. No thanks to that.
That's just my pet peeve, I like to see guys play physical. Despite that, he's solid positionally, has an active stick, and IQ on both sides of the puck. He's the type of defenseman who will move the puck up ice effectively, which would be hugely beneficial to the Islanders.

It's hard to come up with a comparison, but Cam Fowler plays a similar game, minus the shooting arsenal of Pulock and overall offensive prowess.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Bunk Moreland

The odds in the draft will not be changing.. Yet.

Quote:
According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, the league discussed making odds for the 14 non-playoff teams more balanced, but it won't happen this year.

The only difference in this year's draft lottery will remain that the team that wins the lottery will be awarded the first overall pick.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416279

Old
02-20-2013, 01:24 AM
StrongIslanders90

Seth Jones makes so much sense on so many levels for this team.He would be an absolute Star in Brooklyn...

Closed Thread