HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Non-Ownership Thread: Who Cares Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyotes View Post
The NHL's suit against Moyes was transferred from NY (where the NHL filed) to Arizona recently. Nothing has been decided re: the Moyes personal guarantee.

The CoG did agree to void the AMULA when it threw its weight behind the NHL's bid. The NHL has blood all over its hands. The problem is no reporter has really done the digging or asked the hard questions to point out just how much the NHL has screwed the CoG. And, much like Atlanta, no one will. The NHL will ride off to another market and the Coyote saga may be discussed at some level locally, but it will not damage the NHL's reputation.

There simply is no one willing to call out the NHL and hold them accountable. And, the CoG trusted the NHL three years ago, and Judge Baum tried to warn the City that money on the table weighs more than money offered as a promise.
Regardless of Judge Balm's warnings, he could have ended this mess alot sooner with saying that Glendale's lease is held up and let the NHL and Moyes just deal with this mess out of court. He didn't so there is blood on this ******* judges hands as well.

As far as the reputation goes. The league has a bad rep with the fans despite still taking in on the NHL action(Gary Bettman, the lockout). All of the sports leagues will lose all creditibility with getting public funding for sports arenas and stadiums if the NHL moves the Coyotes out of Glendale. Of course the NHL doesn't care about that. Your right as well about the *******s in the media as well.

Old
02-16-2013, 12:20 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Regardless of Judge Balm's warnings, he could have ended this mess alot sooner with saying that Glendale's lease is held up and let the NHL and Moyes just deal with this mess out of court. He didn't so there is blood on this ******* judges hands as well.
It's fully within the jurisdiction of the bankruptcy court to void contracts. It happens all the time. The request to void was made in the proper form and the CoG for better or worse chose not to mount a heavy challenge.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
It's fully within the jurisdiction of the bankruptcy court to void contracts. It happens all the time. The request to void was made in the proper form and the CoG for better or worse chose not to mount a heavy challenge.
You're right about what the bankruptcy court can do and voiding contracts do happen quite often. However, as the years gone on much as been done in the legal system to see to it that not only does debt owed to the govenment get settled before that of the private sector but becomes much harder to discharge anything owed to the govenment(i.e. student loans) in order to not put the taxpayer at risk.

Plus, CoG didn't feel the need to mount a heavy challenge because they felt their lease was bulletproof itself and that the previous ruilings regarding the Pens and the Islanders should have worked in their favor.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:54 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

The thing is the CoG didn't even pursue that argument when the petition to void the lease was filed. The city essentially acquiesced to the voiding of the lease in court.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:50 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyotes View Post
The NHL's suit against Moyes was transferred from NY (where the NHL filed) to Arizona recently. Nothing has been decided re: the Moyes personal guarantee.
Until the team is sold, there can't be a decision - or at least not a decision with a concrete $$ attached to it.

Does the guarantee give the league full protection from any monetary losses?

Old
02-16-2013, 03:57 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
Does the guarantee give the league full protection from any monetary losses?
It's a $60 million guaranty, which is more like a security deposit that can be forfeited if you act improperly. I believe the NHL makes owners sign these personally (and not through shell corporations like Dewey Ranch) in order to hold them accountable should something go wrong. So for all you hoping Moyes gets reamed in court, his day may yet come. It could be argued that his actions forced the NHL to take control of the team and thus lose money in the process. For damages, it doesn't even have to be on paper. They can argue that they've lost brand value via his shenanigans. It is possible that they get the full amount and are reimbursed for their troubles, but it is in no way a sure thing.

Does anyone know where the case stands? If the proceedings involve a person (Moyes) rather than an LLC, is that information private? It could be possible that things are moving behind the scenes. $60 million lopped off the price of the team would probably be enough to keep it here...

Old
02-16-2013, 04:07 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Moyes personal guarantee with the league is $15m. It was originally $30m but the NHL agreed to reduce it to $15m as part of the bankruptcy settlement.

The league is seeking additional money from Moyes outside of the personal guarantee in their lawsuit.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:14 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post

The league is seeking additional money from Moyes outside of the personal guarantee in their lawsuit.
I assume this would not be a public proceeding, correct? And that all parties are almost assuredly under NDA.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:11 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I assume this would not be a public proceeding, correct? And that all parties are almost assuredly under NDA.
I don't know why it wouldn't be public. It's rare for courts to bar public attendance or records. Now if the NHL and Moyes reach a settlement outside of court then ya I doubt we'll ever get the full details.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:28 AM
Jamieh

Not sure where to put this but here goes. I have been a STH for 4 years and must say that the experience this year is the worst yet. Getting to and into Jobing.com has always been a pleasure until this season. Last night I was waiting in a line-up of cars to get into my STH parking lot and sat still for about 10 minutes until I finally just pulled into paid parking and shelled out the $10 so I wouldn't miss the game. Then walk up to entrance and stand in line for almost 20 minutes as I now have to do almost every night.

I have been to sporting events all over the world and have never seen a place take so long to get people in as I have seen at Coyotes games this year. For a team struggling with attendance they sure are doing a crappy job of making it a welcome experience for new fans. Can't understand why it takes me longer to get into building some nights than the 30 mile drive to get there???

Old
02-17-2013, 05:13 AM

Just from what I've seen I think it's created a longer ticket process with those new cards that they replaced the paper tickets with. It'd probably be okay if they didn't require you to wait for a little printout of the ticket, but every game I know sitting there waiting 1 minute for that little printout seems to slow down the line. I was initially in favor of the card, but I think it's a good idea that is executed wrong. There are tons of good ideas with poor execution.

A simple and maybe effective response might be to split the lines in each door, paper tickets to the left, card to the right. Then if one line or the other processes more quickly it's easy to move them over.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:47 AM
Jamieh

The cards have been around for last few years so that has not created the problem.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:42 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieh View Post
Not sure where to put this but here goes. I have been a STH for 4 years and must say that the experience this year is the worst yet. Getting to and into Jobing.com has always been a pleasure until this season. Last night I was waiting in a line-up of cars to get into my STH parking lot and sat still for about 10 minutes until I finally just pulled into paid parking and shelled out the $10 so I wouldn't miss the game. Then walk up to entrance and stand in line for almost 20 minutes as I now have to do almost every night.
I was in that same line of cars. They kept holding the east-bound line of cars and letting the west-bound people in. Eventually honking started and they let us in, but then at the door there was a HUGE line. One of the lines was paper tickets only, so there was much grumbling.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:29 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
The cards have been around for last few years so that has not created the problem.
Correct. I have not had a problem until this year and I get he card every year. My rep told me they've been having problems with their systems. I have wound up missing the puck drop a few times because I stay at the bar waiting for the lines to clear.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off

vCash: 100
I always go in through the southeast gate. Opening night there were three lines and I gathered that one of them was paper tickets only. It was extremely slow but that seemed more understandable. Most other games there have been two lines and it's been quick enough to get in. Last night was quite slow though, there were two lines at the southeast gate. Not sure if one of them was paper tickets only though.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:47 AM
ssmatik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
I always go in through the southeast gate. Opening night there were three lines and I gathered that one of them was paper tickets only. It was extremely slow but that seemed more understandable. Most other games there have been two lines and it's been quick enough to get in. Last night was quite slow though, there were two lines at the southeast gate. Not sure if one of them was paper tickets only though.
Opening night was bad because they had a problem with the scanners. The card readers are really slow this year compared to before. I have never had the reader read my card at the east entrance on the first swipe. When I mentioned to the guy that I should get a new card the guy told me not to bother, "It's the technology, not your card."

Oddly enough, the slow lines happen when the crowd is bigger.

I think I remember when the arena first opened that the SE door was STH only. I might be imagining that though.

I'm in Lot G and havent had a big problem getting in after the first night.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Jamieh

Of course it happens more with bigger crowds but that is my point. How do you expect of attract fans when you can't handle it when they show up? And there have been few games this year when you can just walk in to stadium without a wait. As an example I go to lots of Suns game and have never had to wait to enter. If someone was a passive hockey fan they would not go through hassle to attend games.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:57 PM
ssmatik

Quote:
Of course it happens more with bigger crowds but that is my point. How do you expect of attract fans when you can't handle it when they show up? And there have been few games this year when you can just walk in to stadium without a wait. As an example I go to lots of Suns game and have never had to wait to enter. If someone was a passive hockey fan they would not go through hassle to attend games.
Make no mistake. i agree with you. They know how many people are going to show up. Not sure why they dont plan for it.
While I'm thinking about it... what is the point in the metal detectors? It goes off every time I go through and nobody cares. Is there a level of going off that wil make them check?

Old
02-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Jamieh

Is Jobing.com the only local sports facility that has metal detectors?

Old
02-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:

I have been to sporting events all over the world and have never seen a place take so long to get people in as I have seen at Coyotes games this year. For a team struggling with attendance they sure are doing a crappy job of making it a welcome experience for new fans. Can't understand why it takes me longer to get into building some nights than the 30 mile drive to get there???
I think this actually started late last year when out of nowhere they started trying to "organize" traffic. Before you could just pull into the parking lot and go wherever, same with when you left but now it's ropes, cones and crap everywhere. Easily adds about 15 minutes of unnecessary time.

btw...I'm primarily talking about the parking in Cardinals stadium area that used to easy peezy!

Old
02-17-2013, 06:04 PM
pacerhimself

I dunno about it being painfully slow, I've been to concerts and sporting events in several other cities and my wait times have been nothing out of the ordinary for last night or other games. Maybe your experiences were different and much worse last night.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:12 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerhimself View Post
I dunno about it being painfully slow, I've been to concerts and sporting events in several other cities and my wait times have been nothing out of the ordinary for last night or other games. Maybe your experiences were different and much worse last night.
I notice when I try to time my arrival to arrive 10-15 minutes before game time, which has been MOST of the games this season, the lines are bad. But I just got so tired of arriving 45-55 minutes before the game time and seeing the arena so completely empty 45 minutes before game time. I think a lot of us are getting there at the same time now. I would appreciate if everyone else would start getting there 50-55 minutes before game time, so if I arrive 10-15 minutes before game time I would be able to waltz right in with no delays.

Thanks in advance to all who can oblige!

Old
02-17-2013, 07:20 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerhimself View Post
Blackhawks fans were complaining when I was standing in line to enter the game for Blackhawks/Coyotes. But the problem is, I don't know if most people know what to do when you enter the arena. It's pretty simple, have keys/phone/wallet out - and expect to have them look at your big purse if you are a female. I get through the detector and the scanner of tickets no problem, it's the people that show up and don't know what to expect when entering that are the problem IMO.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:05 PM
zz

Having 80 year old, deaf people checking you in doesn't help, either. Last time I went, the guy was just rambling at every single person coming in. Took easily 20 to 30 secs per person. Not friendly, either. Just an old grumpy ******* with zero urgency whatsoever.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:08 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
Having 80 year old, deaf people checking you in doesn't help, either. Last time I went, the guy was just rambling at every single person coming in. Took easily 20 to 30 secs per person. Not friendly, either. Just an old grumpy ******* with zero urgency whatsoever.
I can agree with this. If there is a line, I'd expect them to be outside yelling what to do when you enter, so it can move a bit faster. That wasn't the case when I was in line during the Blackhawks game(only game I've had to stand in line and wait a bit to enter).

Closed Thread