HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa owner blasts Cooke

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 05:13 PM
Terrapin

vCash: 500
Ottawa owner blasts Cooke

What a lowlife POS this clown is. People (outside of Pgh) went on and on about Mario being a hypocrit after speaking out against the Isles a few years ago. That was a premeditated assault. This idiot throws a fit after an accident. I can see a player going off like this, but an owner?

Sid, Geno, and Letang better be scratched when we play them, and replaced with Mac, Sill, and Bortuzzo.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/89...cooke-goon-nhl

Quote:
"To have him taken out by a goon is unconscionable," Melnyk told TSN on Friday. "Whether it was accidental, or whether it was reckless, or whether it was intentional, to me it doesn't matter."It's something that never should have happened. This player should never be playing in this league. It's a league for elite players."

"You will forget about guys like him (Cooke) in a year or two because they won't be playing in the league," Melnyk told TSN. "He's done it to us; he's done it to others. If he thinks it's cool to be the tough goon, then that's his business, but people aren't going to put up with him. We're certainly not going to put up with him. ... He's on a watch list now. Everybody should know it.

"You certainly don't belong in this league, and the faster you're gone, the better."

Old
02-16-2013, 05:17 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I sort of hope Matt Cooke is still playing on Geno and Neal's line next time we play them and they just torch them when they try to put some goons out

Old
02-16-2013, 05:19 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Old
02-16-2013, 05:19 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Old
02-16-2013, 05:24 PM
JWells16

Meh,

I understand his frustration. I even understand his hatred of Cooke. But if he doesn't see Cooke's place in the league, then he doesn't understand hockey very well.

Then again, he is an owner, and this is his business, and he's catering to his target audience very well.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:25 PM
Omnomnomnom

The funny thing about Melnyk talking about the NHL being a 'league for elite players' is that Cooke is likely better than half the scrubs on the Sens.

I think Melnyk may be a drunk as well, but I'm not too sure about that, lol

Old
02-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Meh he's a passionate owner, i don't really blame him. He's mad and speaking emotionally rather than logically. Cooke has changed but with his past there's always going to be suspicion when he's involved in another player getting injured. When you've crossed the line so many times, you have to live with it even when you've reformed. It is what it is, an unfortunate injury to a young star.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:27 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

There's seriously a post on the main board about how this is worse than the Bertuzzi incident because that was accidental, while this was intentional.

Everyone has lost their ****ing mind.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:28 PM
jrolley325

vCash: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
There's seriously a post on the main board about how this is worse than the Bertuzzi incident because that was accidental, while this was intentional.

i especially laughed at the "bertuzzi didn't mean to injure moore, but cooke meant to injure karlsson"

Old
02-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I sort of hope Matt Cooke is still playing on Geno and Neal's line next time we play them and they just torch them when they try to put some goons out
I kind of hope the Sens sign some worthless plug who can't even fight and he just ends up making an ass out of himself.

Remember when Whitney speared Ovechkin and George McPhee's big response was signing Doug Doull? Doull promptly got beaten on by Cairns and was gone from the league a short while later.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:31 PM
clefty
What?

Get over it. He's not dead.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:32 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Cooke is so good, he's even agitating the front office.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:35 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:

Thats not as bad as the sens board trying to get fans together to go to NY and protest outside the NHL office.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:35 PM
madinsomniac

The worry here may be what Ottawa does on April 22nd. If they deside to call a few goons up right before the game the Penguins better have a better plan than the time the Isles did it to them....

Old
02-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Is renting a barn in Lake Placid for a fistfight out of the question?

Old
02-16-2013, 05:37 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Thats not as bad as the sens board trying to get fans together to go to NY and protest outside the NHL office.
Or calling the police to report a crime.

Cooke, you felon!

Old
02-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Yeah, scoring a few goals would be swell. I guess if Cooke, Geno, Sid, or Letang get 'Bertuzzi'd', it'll be worth it if we get 2 points.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:40 PM
pucky

Quote:

So, ONE poster said something preposterous so that means everyone has lost their mind?

Maybe you have.

I think too many fans are overreacting. I know Pitts. fans are smarter than this.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
Yeah, scoring a few goals would be swell. I guess if Cooke, Geno, Sid, or Letang get 'Bertuzzi'd', it'll be worth it if we get 2 points.
right. that's what I said. We should probably just bench all of our good players, sign some goons and waive whoever needs waived to make the space for them. Because god knows the Senators are a terrifying bunch. I mean, every time an incident like this happens, someone gets Bertuzzi'd. The only way to stop it is to have Steve MacIntyre sitting on the bench so he can beat up someone who didn't actually do anything because the guy who does it will be tossed before someone can hold his hand to help him make his way across the ice.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:43 PM
ObsessedCreative*
I hate the Penguins.

Just based on how butt-hurt this dumb owner is after a freak accident, I hope Shero re-signs cooke for another 3 year deal!

Old
02-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by madinsomniac View Post
The worry here may be what Ottawa does on April 22nd. If they deside to call a few goons up right before the game the Penguins better have a better plan than the time the Isles did it to them....
The Isles had Gillies, Konopka, Martin and Haley.

The Sens don't have any goons to call up.

The closest thing to a fighter they have in the AHL is Mark Borowiecki, and he's just a big, gritty defensman who will fight when necessary, similar to Bortuzzo.

There's really no one of note on Binghampton's roster. I've seen them play a bunch of times this year, they're a good team with terrific goaltending, but they're not very tough.

Under the unlikely circumstance that it came down to an arms race, the Pens have them beat in that area easily.

Engelland, MacIntyre, Glass, Sill and Bortuzzo

vs.

Neil, Smith, Borowiecki and I don't even know who the next guy in terms of toughness would be. David Dziurzynski?

Old
02-16-2013, 05:44 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
So, ONE poster said something preposterous so that means everyone has lost their mind?

Maybe you have.

I think too many fans are overreacting. I know Pitts. fans are smarter than this.
Totally. He's the only one that is overreacting. Good call.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Bennett Brauer

I posted this on the Sens board about this.

Quote:
The general opinion around the league was that it was an accident, yet not only does the owner speak out, but he also belittles a player for an accidental play.

And Cooke responded to the comments.

Quote:
“Obviously I’m sorry Mr. Melnyk feels that way and I understand the position he’s in and it’s not easy,” said Cooke. “I think this is different than it was in the past for me, I know where my head is and how I feel about the play and that’s most important.”
He also has tried to reach out to Karlsson, but his texts were not answered.

Matt Cooke's response shows respect and class, even after Melnyk "ripped" him.

I do feel sorry for Karlsson and Senators fans, but Sens management is not being very professional or mature.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:45 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Ottawa would probably sign Francis Lessard, he's a former Ottawa Senator. He's currently playing in the LNAH.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Beauner

vCash: 50
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1350137

Reading the comments here and the "organize a protest" thread are hilarious.

Edit:
Quote:
I have this weird feeling and so do a lot of my co-workers that napolean err... Crosby was upset that the limelight is slowly being shone uopn Karlsson and that he pushed Cooke into doing it.. As only an idiot would think that wasn't intentional (The achilles prolly not, but to hurt or mame him.. yes).

Closed Thread