HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Wang in preliminary talks to sell team!

Old
02-16-2013, 03:37 PM
lost35*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
First bold: You know that for fact? Would love to see where this is stated as fact.

Seconded bolded: Brooklyn and Queens are GEOGRAPHICALLY part of Long Island (See a map), although considered part of the NYC 5 boroughs. I've heard it and I am sure others have that Nassau was like a 6th unofficial borough to NYC.

Stop letting your hate for Brooklyn blind you from the facts.
Geographically, just like Geographically Alaska is a part of Canada

lost35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Out of curiosity, would you guys be happy if Prokhorov was the one that bought the team?

Also, from a personal note, regardless of what happens, I just hope that they don't change the team from the New York Islanders to the Brooklyn Islanders with new ownership. Same goes for keeping their current home and aways.
Yes I would be extremely happy.. Prokhorov seems willing to spend on his nets so I'm assuming he would open the wallet here.

That's actually something I never thought of.. I believe there were stipulations in the nets to Brooklyn deal with the nba that the new owner would be allowed to change the name to Brooklyn and be able to change the name away from nets if he chose. I too really hope if wang does end up selling that the new owner keeps everything (name/colors/logo) the same and jus focuses on the on ice product.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:46 PM
OlTimeHockey

Good news:

If he sells, we can rationalize giving up comfort and access on LI to a better team in Brooklyn and an end to Wang.

We hope.

But I still think this story is BS.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Yes I would be extremely happy.. Prokhorov seems willing to spend on his nets so I'm assuming he would open the wallet here.

That's actually something I never thought of.. I believe there were stipulations in the nets to Brooklyn deal with the nba that the new owner would be allowed to change the name to Brooklyn and be able to change the name away from nets if he chose. I too really hope if wang does end up selling that the new owner keeps everything (name/colors/logo) the same and jus focuses on the on ice product.
I want Prokhorov too. Value of the team has almost tripled since the move to Brooklyn.
He makes so much money and wants to wins, he has a big luxury tax bill in the NBA it's
nothing to him. We Islander fans would be treated right, not like (use your imagination for this word)
that Wang makes us go through.

Degeneration Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:05 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
What i have not read so far in these posts is the obvious. Wang did not want a hockey team he wanted the surrounding area with the hotel to build his lighthouse project and the hockey team was a afterthought. No surprise's here that once the move to Brooklyn was announced that he had no intention of holding onto the smallest piece of the pie (which is losing money). The day can't possibly come fast enough for me to have him haul his azz out of here. Kate and the TOH are probably most of the reason we moved to Brooklyn but with that being said maybe if we had a owner who was more worried about the team as opposed to his mega million dollar Light house project, i think a deal could have been worked out for the Islanders to stay on LI. Again though his top priority was anything but the Islanders. I do understand he is losing money and he is a business man and SMG has a stranglehold over the NVMC but as a good owner knows you have to spend to make money and even though again SMG controls concessions he still had ticket sales and all other merchandise outside the arena and by having a good team these sales would go up but by putting a cheap team out there and spending barely the cap floor what does he really expect???????

Last edited by MattMartin: 02-16-2013 at 05:08 PM.
MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:16 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
What i have not read so far in these posts is the obvious. Wang did not want a hockey team he wanted the surrounding area with the hotel to build his lighthouse project and the hockey team was a afterthought. No surprise's here that once the move to Brooklyn was announced that he had no intention of holding onto the smallest piece of the pie (which is losing money). The day can't possibly come fast enough for me to have him haul his azz out of here. Kate and the TOH are probably most of the reason we moved to Brooklyn but with that being said maybe if we had a owner who was more worried about the team as opposed to his mega million dollar Light house project, i think a deal could have been worked out for the Islanders to stay on LI. Again though his top priority was anything but the Islanders. I do understand he is losing money and he is a business man and SMG has a stranglehold over the NVMC but as a good owner knows you have to spend to make money and even though again SMG controls concessions he still had ticket sales and all other merchandise outside the arena and by having a good team these sales would go up but by putting a cheap team out there and spending barley the cap floor what does he really expect???????
For the last two ownerships, owning the Islanders was about a land grab first, hockey second.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:21 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Yes, I can actually. Politicians have bent over backwards to stick their heads up their butts for their friends to get deals done. For Wang, Murray basically didn't want to budge because she feels she's protecting some nostalgia of island past. You had a team owner willing to finance his own vision (very rare these days), and TOH gave him the finger. Wang wouldn't negotiate because Murray's vision wasn't feasible or economically viable as many stated.

Go for Wang finally being fed and taking his toys. How long was the Lighthouse BS going on for? 8-10 years? I wouldn't have even waited that long. I would have told Nassau and TOH screw you a lot sooner.

Listen, Wang's got a lot of faults. I'll give you that. I don't like all he's done. The fact of us working on a $15- budget pisses me off. But I give Wang credit for trying to keep the Isles in Nassau and when faced with no prospects there, keeping them somewhat local in Brooklyn. Because we easily could have been looking at the Kansas City Tornados or the Quebec _____________.

Yes, the politicians are idiots. The Isles even as crappy as they've been bring in $200+ million in tax revenues for the County. That alone should be incentive to have worked out some type of deal to keep the team. So now, what do you think is going to happen to the area around the NVMC? Businesses? Guess what, business will suffer, the area will suffer, the County's tax coffers will suffer. I agree the Lighthouse wasn't a total hockey venture, but Murray insulted Wang with her counter proposal to the Lighthouse.

Brooklyn will welcome anyone who wants to come. The team isn't shutting out Long Island. Long Island shut them out when they voted down the referendum and Murray said no to the Lighthouse.
Wang has a very dodgy professional past as head of CA - a LI company he pumped and dumped.

Wang leaves the company and takes the money with his jailbird buddy and buys the Isles - the sole purpose to be used as a pawn in a larger real estate transaction. Separately, Wang starts to move money into additional real estate acquisitions on a much quieter level. Donates a ton of money to SB to build the "Wang" center.

Hmmm... Gotta put that money somewhere...

You ever think that Wang's tactics and his CA legacy were not so welcomed by the government pols? After all, he did crap on the community with his CA move. He used the Isles to soften his image "like he cared" for something.

Rechler was on board with Wang for the lighthouse because Wang had momentum. Once the stink on Wang got worse, he bailed. He saw how Wang acted and how it would impact him to be associated with Wang. So what does he do? He opposes the referendum then his company puts in a no-Wang partnered venture into the proposal bin on the coliseum land. Doesn't that tell you something?

Wang floated major losses annually, which have never been substantied, and all used as a sympathy ploy for the lighthouse and the separate coliseum referendum. Has anyone seen these $20 million numbers in the press since the Barclays deal? They have all of sudden vanished and the Forbes and the Post put out much different (ie lower) numbers without dispute from Wang. Did he ever say, I'm losing. A boatload of Wang in Nassua, sustained heavy losses for years, and just can't sustain them anymore. I expect moving the team to Brooklyn to sure those ills. No, he did not. Jerry Moyes moved the team into bankruptcy. Has Wang ever even come close to that after allegedly sustaining years of major losses? Nope.

Wang either does not lose as much as he has floated over the years (thus he could sustain minor losses) or he doesn't give a crap about losing money because one can make an argument it was a "paper transaction" that got him the money in the first place... So, what is it?

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:26 PM
lorwood

The 300 mil asking price either kills the credibility of the story or the proposed deal. At some point actual value comes into play.

Wang taking on partners is the worst possible outcome as he is apparently a total control freak.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:30 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Is Bill Maher looking to own a hockey team for a few months?

If Wang is looking for investors for a short while keeping him afloat then the NHL needs to step in for the interest of the sport and force him to sell. All he is doing is going the cheapest route possible with other peoples cash until he moves to BK. He wont spend a dime in Brooklyn either until he goes into the black. Please god I hope he sells 100% and not just looking for guys to buy in.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSturat View Post
THE TEAM IS MOVING 20 MILES AWAY, you are bailing as a fan and you have a friend who is now "conveniently" a Rangers fan now. Let me guess. He was a Mets fan in the 80s too and is a Yankees fan now. Weather is always nice where he goes apparently.

I have lived OFF Long Island since 1989 and I still and will always bleed orange in blue. As long as the team remained in the metro NY area, I will be a fan.

Don't think I could have easily become a Penguins fan here in Cleveland? I could have, but I didn't. If I had I would have rooted for a champion already. As a Mets, Jets, and Isles fan, that would have been nice. I have driven 8 hours from Cleveland just to go to playoff games. 450 miles. Sorry the 20 miles is too much for you.

I am not happy with Wang. The cap circumvention and cheap **** since the last playoff run has been disgusting. I am pissed at politicians and the absolute debacle of how this team, once the pride of the Island, was handled.

In the end, this team could have been in KC or Seattle. But it is still in NY. End result, better days are ahead and I can't wait to see it come to fruition.
Thank you. I get that some Long Islanders are po'd about not having a team in their backyard. I really do. And I get that Brooklyn is a very different place culturally and politically from Nassau and Suffolk even though it's geographically on the Island. But enough with the "I'm not sure I'll still be a fan anymore" nonsense. 99% of you don't seem to have a problem going into the city to root for the Mets, Yanks, Knicks or Nets or going even further into Jersey for the Giants and Jets. You'll still be Islander fans unless you're just looking for a reason to jump ship.

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:48 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

The day he sells can't come fast enough. Wang must go.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 05:00 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Has anyone ever validated that the Isles were actually losing $20 million per year that was floated for years by the isles, local media, Botta, NHL media, etc.?

That number was ALWAYS suspect. It was always poor Wang he's bleeding money at $20 million per year, help the guy. BS
Especially with the 20+ million cable deal each year.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Isles Junkie

It sure would be great to get a competent owner in here. But I'm not going to get my hopes up just yet.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 05:04 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
https://twitter.com/BDGallof/status/302814164517285889

In speaking to people: if he gets price he'll sell but not below. When loan comes due perhaps Ratner a partner? Or someone else #isles

https://twitter.com/BDGallof/status/302815006372790272

Source sees more reality in having partner, not a sale #isles

https://twitter.com/BDGallof/status/302825120123203584

Was told belief is more like how Wilson's got capital for Mets.

https://twitter.com/BDGallof/status/302825576861937665

will add to fan notions of Wang out of picture but believe this not case. Wishful thinking & projections driving this instead of fact #isles

https://twitter.com/BDGallof/status/302866332125384707

Those around Charles doubt truly for sale. belief has always wanted to give team to son one day #isles

Some tweets earlier today for BD Gallof.
totally ****ed if this is the case. He may eat all the food at the concessions. FCW.

Old
02-16-2013, 05:20 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
they were never going to Quebec, that was all a scare tactic

It was Brooklyn as a worst case scenario

the threats of Quebec and Kansas City where they so you thought "Hey they are still in NY"

And Brooklyn is not on Long Island

Long Island is Suffolk and Nassau County
You say it was a scare tactic, yet after the Brooklyn deal was announced, it was widely reported that Barclays was last resort in New York. Neither of us can say for sure whether Kansas City or Quebec were real options, but it was perfectly clear that due to politics Nassau wasn't an option.

And Brooklyn is on Long Island. So is Queens for that matter. Ever hear of Long Island University? It's further west than the Barclays Center.

nyiguy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 05:42 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
I knew it

I knew as soon as this move to Brooklyn was announced, Wang was going to sell

That is why he moved to Brooklyn

Wang is a piece of crap

I was always a defender of him

but basically he was the guy who was responsible for moving the team from Long Island
Basically he was the guy who was responsible for preventing the team from leaving New York.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 05:45 PM
beach
Things are looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
This... so I can add him to my list with Kate Murray and the rest of the politicians. I ran into a friend on the train the other day who I hadn't seen in 20 years. He was a huge Islander fan in the day, said he will no longer root for them but become a Ranger fan since they will be the most convenient for him and can't root for an Islander team in Brooklyn since it will no longer be our Islanders.. two years ago this would have been blasphemy, now I don't think it will be so crazy.. me, i will most likely stop following pro hockey when they move.. I have bled blue and orange through the lean years, now I still go to every game(bought my season tix before the move was announced) but the feeling is not the same... ownership and the politicians have given us the middle finger for too long.
Bye-bye!

Old
02-16-2013, 05:48 PM
beach
Things are looking

Quote:
yea well, Wang could have tried to see if someone wanted to keep them here

There was still talks of other buyers and there were other plans on "Fixing" the Coliseum and the Area
OMG!!! Yeah, they were just clamoring to buy the team and fix the Coliseum.

Quote:
Wang wanted to move to Brooklyn because he knew they would be worth more money
And the problem with that is???

Old
02-16-2013, 05:53 PM
beach
Things are looking

Quote:
they were never going to Quebec, that was all a scare tactic

And Brooklyn is not on Long Island
Did you fail geography?

Old
02-16-2013, 05:54 PM
RichOnTheLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
Doesn't matter to me because increasingly I am feeling as though I will not follow this team to Brooklyn.
I feel the same way you do. Although, I'll still continue to watch them play on TV. I just refuse to have to ride the LIRR to Brooklyn on a worknight in the middle of the winter.

I also don't believe anything I read in the papers anymore, but if this is true, Wang won't be known for keeping the Islanders on LI like he was 10 years ago; he'll be known as the guy who moved the Islanders from LI.

RichOnTheLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 06:02 PM
RichOnTheLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiguy21 View Post
You are aware that Brooklyn is on Long Island and that staying in NVMC was never going to happen? I think I will take Brooklyn over the Quebec Nordiques.
This is kind of old news, but yes, Brooklyn is "technically" on Long Island. It's just that New Yorkers don't see it that way. Brooklyn is basically considered their "own" city. Trust me, I grew up there.

RichOnTheLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 06:09 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Either really bad sarcasm or really bad schooling....

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Atlanta and Winnipeg fans I doubt had the same "feel" for the team as Isles fans do, especially Atlanta Fans

and the thing that really bothers me is the Islanders made history with those 4 straight Cups, that is a source of pride for the Islanders

a move to Brooklyn will erase that

you will have the banners there (maybe? who knows with the configurations)

But it still wont be the same

Even if the Isles refurbished the Coliseum or get a New Arena on Long Island, it would be the Isles home, and those Cup Banners with all those retired Jerseys from those Legendary players would have the same feeling

Having those Banners waving in Brooklyn is not the same

And I still say the Isles will eventually change their logo to be more "Brooklyn" accommodating

and that will really put the nail in the coffin of the Islanders and their legacy

Winnipeg and Atlanta both lost their fans. There fans were affected by losing their franchise. There is no disputing that. The Cups don't get erased either. Are you trying to rewrite history? So if the Rangers moved from MSG to a new building in Suffolk and were still called the NY Rangers, they would lose their history? That's ludicrous!! Now if the Isles went to Brooklyn and changed their name, then yes you can make the case that there is no more history. All that's changing is the building.

The banners (I hope) will most certainly be hanging. Why wouldn't they be? We're still the NEW YORK ISLANDERS.

I'm done debating this with you cause its like talking to a brick wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Wang has a very dodgy professional past as head of CA - a LI company he pumped and dumped.

Wang leaves the company and takes the money with his jailbird buddy and buys the Isles - the sole purpose to be used as a pawn in a larger real estate transaction. Separately, Wang starts to move money into additional real estate acquisitions on a much quieter level. Donates a ton of money to SB to build the "Wang" center.

Hmmm... Gotta put that money somewhere...

You ever think that Wang's tactics and his CA legacy were not so welcomed by the government pols? After all, he did crap on the community with his CA move. He used the Isles to soften his image "like he cared" for something.

Rechler was on board with Wang for the lighthouse because Wang had momentum. Once the stink on Wang got worse, he bailed. He saw how Wang acted and how it would impact him to be associated with Wang. So what does he do? He opposes the referendum then his company puts in a no-Wang partnered venture into the proposal bin on the coliseum land. Doesn't that tell you something?

Wang floated major losses annually, which have never been substantied, and all used as a sympathy ploy for the lighthouse and the separate coliseum referendum. Has anyone seen these $20 million numbers in the press since the Barclays deal? They have all of sudden vanished and the Forbes and the Post put out much different (ie lower) numbers without dispute from Wang. Did he ever say, I'm losing. A boatload of Wang in Nassua, sustained heavy losses for years, and just can't sustain them anymore. I expect moving the team to Brooklyn to sure those ills. No, he did not. Jerry Moyes moved the team into bankruptcy. Has Wang ever even come close to that after allegedly sustaining years of major losses? Nope.

Wang either does not lose as much as he has floated over the years (thus he could sustain minor losses) or he doesn't give a crap about losing money because one can make an argument it was a "paper transaction" that got him the money in the first place... So, what is it?

You know good point of the CA stuff. I didn't take that into account. That could have been their way of screwing Wang. Well we have Forbes saying Wang is bleeding money. Although who honestly knows how much he's losing or what creative accounting he's using too.

02-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
That's really stretching it now. We're talking two different countries there.

Homeland Security is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 06:23 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichOnTheLI View Post
This is kind of old news, but yes, Brooklyn is "technically" on Long Island. It's just that New Yorkers don't see it that way. Brooklyn is basically considered their "own" city. Trust me, I grew up there.
I live in Queens and I never considered Brooklyn and Queens as being "Long Island" although geographically they are.

I guess the thing I don't like about the move is that I feel it changes the team's identity. It becomes the city's team instead of the Island's team.

Maybe those of you who had season tickets back in the 80s like I did for 24 years would feel this way. Maybe those of you who went to the Stanley Cup parades on Hempstead Turnpike would agree with me.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote