HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jonathan Bernier

Old
02-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
I think most flames fans would riot if that happened.
We'll have to go the safer route, Bernier plus one day rental of LAPD for Giordano.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Sterling31
YNWA - TML

vCash: 50
Bernier for 7th rounder?

The trades are trending that way.

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:14 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdoughty View Post
I feel like a lot of people don't realize how good he is. I know I'm a Kings fan, but honestly I've always liked this guy more than Quick even tho I know Quick is obviously our #1 guy

I would love to see Bernier go to Edmonton. Him and Dubnyk would be one of the best tandems in the league in my opinion
You are obviously on crack if you'd give a potentially real good goalie to a team in your division. Edmonton yeah right

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
For the next few months. He is an RFA at year end. If another team truly thinks he is a starter, they can give him a $2.5M offer or so. Can the Kings afford that for a backup? In a year in which the Cap will drop by $6M?

Probably not, or at least they probably shouldn't. Odds are the extra $1.25M could be better spent elsewhere. The compensation at that point would be a 2nd round pick.
And Lombardi will gladly match that,
thank you

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:13 AM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Surprised no one has suggested New Jersey yet. Both Brodeur and Hedberg are 40 and 39 respectively.

Something has to give there soon. I dont know their AHL goaltending depth, but with a 39 year old back up, you'd have to think it isnt strong.

You may get one more year out of Brodeur after this season, and do you really want to put all your eggs into that basket given his age? Would be wise to get a young tender who is almost ready or ready for #1 to share starts with the games best.
He's a better fit than Schneider to be fair. Brodeur is signed for another year and could split time with Bernier next year. He'll be cheaper to acquire than Schneider so it won't totally decimate the prospect pool. Very good fit for New Jersey.

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:25 AM
MJMazzarone
#AnyonebutNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
He's a better fit than Schneider to be fair. Brodeur is signed for another year and could split time with Bernier next year. He'll be cheaper to acquire than Schneider so it won't totally decimate the prospect pool. Very good fit for New Jersey.
The Devils have Scott Wedgewood in their system who I thought was supposed to grow into that number 1 role when Marty retires. He started for Canada in the WJC a few years back and from what I know both management and fans are very high on him. However a french Canadian website recenly said the Devils we really interested in Bernier. (I am on my phone my now so I'll find it/post it later. Name escapes me at the moment.

MJMazzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Spitsfan67*

ROR Straight up...

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:28 PM
KingCanadain1976

Looks like hes getting the start tonight against columbus first time in long time hes started inback to back games. I would hope alot of you fans that only look at the stats would stay up and watch it or dvd it. You will see what most kings fans see he is ready for a shot.

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:13 PM
SuperAlmeida

Bernier + for Niederreiter?

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:24 AM
funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
I like this, Bernier did great again tonight, only 1 goal allowed

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:31 AM
crt

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
I like this, Bernier did great again tonight, only 1 goal allowed
On 12 shots. What a stud.

crt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:41 AM
kingsofLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by crt View Post
On 12 shots. What a stud.
On a struggling team and 3 injured dmen

kingsofLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:30 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
The + is on the wrong side.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:42 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 855
Quote:
I'd rather not trade Nino.

I think he's immature, but I love his skillset and his chippy, physical play.

Isles have other big, physical forwards, but none with the offensive upside of Niederreiter.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:53 AM
gonnaneedsomewine

Quote:
I don't think the Isles would be interested in that. Their fans still have high hopes for Nino even after his disastrous 1 point in 55 games last year. He's been playing well in the AHL this season.

Add in the fact that they're locked into that DiPietro contract long term (owner loves him and is cheap = won't amnesty him), and that they have 3 young goalies down on the farm: 6'6" Koskinen (24), 6'6" Nilsson (22), and 6'2" Poulin (22).

At the age of 24, Bernier really hasn't proven himself to be a far superior option to any of those guys going forward.

So why give up your best forward prospect and someone you drafted/hoped would turn into a top 6 power forward for a young goalie when they already have three of them around the same age? There's really nothing Bernier has done to prove he's definitively better than any of those 3 Islander goalie prospects.

The Isles have designs of Nino playing alongside Tavares one day rather than these JAG's like Parenteau or Boyes or Okposo.

I thought the Kings should have settled on a guy like Viktor Stalberg from Chicago over the summer when Chicago was reportedly wary of Crawford. He brings some size and great speed, fits the Kings' mold well as a 2nd or 3rd line winger, can chip in offensively.

gonnaneedsomewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:23 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnaneedsomewine View Post
There's really nothing Bernier has done to prove he's definitively better than any of those 3 Islander goalie prospects.
The Isles must be really lucky to have three of those gems.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:45 PM
gonnaneedsomewine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
The Isles must be really lucky to have three of those gems.
I'm a Kings fan, but I think fans incessantly overrate Bernier and his value just because of what we've been force-fed about him over the years about how is going to be the next great goalie.

When did I call those three Isles gems? I just don't think it makes sense to give up one of your top young forward prospects for an unproven goalie. It's like the Cory Schneider situation, all we hear about from Canucks fans is how great he is and how he should fetch a good return if he ever hit the market. Well he's already 26 years old and will be 27 in March. He was given the opportunity to take the job and run with it this year and hasn't been able to hold off Luongo. Is the guy really ever going to be a number one goalie or is he more hype than substance?

Koskinen has kind of faded into darkness going back to Finland to play, but Nilsson and Poulin still have the potential to turn into something good. Both of them have better size than Bernier and both of them are younger.

Why give up your best prospect on the wing and probably your second best overall offensive prospect (behind Strome) to get a young unproven goalie with "potential" to be a #1 guy when you already have that in Nilsson and maybe Poulin?

It just doesn't make sense. I'd rather keep Nino and hope he grows into a great winger for Tavares and roll the dice on Nilsson.

gonnaneedsomewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnaneedsomewine View Post
I'm a Kings fan, but I think fans incessantly overrate Bernier and his value just because of what we've been force-fed about him over the years about how is going to be the next great goalie.

When did I call those three Isles gems? I just don't think it makes sense to give up one of your top young forward prospects for an unproven goalie. It's like the Cory Schneider situation, all we hear about from Canucks fans is how great he is and how he should fetch a good return if he ever hit the market. Well he's already 26 years old and will be 27 in March. He was given the opportunity to take the job and run with it this year and hasn't been able to hold off Luongo. Is the guy really ever going to be a number one goalie or is he more hype than substance?

Koskinen has kind of faded into darkness going back to Finland to play, but Nilsson and Poulin still have the potential to turn into something good. Both of them have better size than Bernier and both of them are younger.

Why give up your best prospect on the wing and probably your second best overall offensive prospect (behind Strome) to get a young unproven goalie with "potential" to be a #1 guy when you already have that in Nilsson and maybe Poulin?

It just doesn't make sense. I'd rather keep Nino and hope he grows into a great winger for Tavares and roll the dice on Nilsson.
While I agree with you in theory, Bernier is in the NHL and has been for sometime. He's proved far more than the others.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:48 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
While I agree with you in theory, Bernier is in the NHL and has been for sometime. He's proved far more than the others.
What has he proven? That he can put up backup numbers on a defensive team that helped Quick to Vezina range? It's a hard sell when you want a premium price but can't point to something that makes the premium seem worthwhile. 09-10 season was sensational but that's a long time ago.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Brooklanders*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
NYI will not trade Nino for Bernier and the Kings would be lucky to get a low 1st round draft pick for him. I do see a team offering a mid to late 1st easily. I just not sure what team he fits on. I do think he would be a good fit for the Isles though.
The best the NYI would offer are Okposo/ Bailey/Streit/Nabokov/Donovan/DeHaan/Nielsen

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:01 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
What has he proven? That he can put up backup numbers on a defensive team that helped Quick to Vezina range? It's a hard sell when you want a premium price but can't point to something that makes the premium seem worthwhile. 09-10 season was sensational but that's a long time ago.
I disagree with your assumeing that he can only put up back up numbers on a defensive team. He gets put in some of them games when Quick gets pulled and when he does get pulled its safe to assume the kings are losing, When a team is losing they open up there game and try to get goal this means there alot less defensive when they play Hence more opportunity to give up goals. This is something people dont think of when they look at berniers numbers. So in my mind bernier when he comes in isnt playing on the same defensive minded team. As ive been saying bernier will put up better number with the more games he gets in. Already being seen with the last couple games hes started hes only let in one goal in each. If your going to judge bernier fairly you need to watch him play. If i had a dollar for every time our announcer have said hes poised calm and has great rebound control i would be a rich man.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Puckgenius*

keith Jones said a while back that Bernier has Richter potential.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:35 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
I disagree with your assumeing that he can only put up back up numbers on a defensive team. He gets put in some of them games when Quick gets pulled and when he does get pulled its safe to assume the kings are losing, When a team is losing they open up there game and try to get goal this means there alot less defensive when they play Hence more opportunity to give up goals. This is something people dont think of when they look at berniers numbers. So in my mind bernier when he comes in isnt playing on the same defensive minded team. As ive been saying bernier will put up better number with the more games he gets in. Already being seen with the last couple games hes started hes only let in one goal in each. If your going to judge bernier fairly you need to watch him play. If i had a dollar for every time our announcer have said hes poised calm and has great rebound control i would be a rich man.
Excellent points KC

Whats funny is that people never look at in game records, just the overall stats.

Bernier went 11 and 0 during his last time as a starter for any length in the NHL. He started off like the talented young player he is by being up and down a bit but when he was given starts he came around and won 11 games with a ridiculous gaa all things considered.

Patrick Roy said he was the best young goalie to come along in over a decade. That was a couple of years ago but still it was said. The other thing is for those who claim JB is only worth a 2nd or a mid 1st yada yada I would ask this, what has he done to regress from his draft year?

THe answer is nothing. He is ready to be a full time starter in the NHL and every time he is given more than spot starts here and there he shows that he is a talented one. When people look at him playing for the Kings and claim that he benefited (or hasn't enough) from playing behind such a great defencive team I would remind you that JB was there when we weren't close to being the team that won the cup.

I am not saying that JB has proven that he is the next great goalie, just that he could be. He has done nothing to prove that he isn't the exact same highly touted young goalie that he was when he was drafted.

If DL wants a high end young player/prospect and a pick for him then that is what it will take to get him. If not we will keep him until the end of the season. He is an RFA and so we lose nothing by doing so.

That said, I see us getting what we want for JB before all too long.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:46 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Excellent points KC

Whats funny is that people never look at in game records, just the overall stats.

Bernier went 11 and 0 during his last time as a starter for any length in the NHL. He started off like the talented young player he is by being up and down a bit but when he was given starts he came around and won 11 games with a ridiculous gaa all things considered.

Patrick Roy said he was the best young goalie to come along in over a decade. That was a couple of years ago but still it was said. The other thing is for those who claim JB is only worth a 2nd or a mid 1st yada yada I would ask this, what has he done to regress from his draft year?

THe answer is nothing. He is ready to be a full time starter in the NHL and every time he is given more than spot starts here and there he shows that he is a talented one. When people look at him playing for the Kings and claim that he benefited (or hasn't enough) from playing behind such a great defencive team I would remind you that JB was there when we weren't close to being the team that won the cup.

I am not saying that JB has proven that he is the next great goalie, just that he could be. He has done nothing to prove that he isn't the exact same highly touted young goalie that he was when he was drafted.

If DL wants a high end young player/prospect and a pick for him then that is what it will take to get him. If not we will keep him until the end of the season. He is an RFA and so we lose nothing by doing so.

That said, I see us getting what we want for JB before all too long.
First off ty for the props tg always good to have you back what i say and this time add to it with excellent points to complimate what i was saying. I was unware of the 11 0 when he was a starter also forgot the whole we werent always a top defensive team angle. Lol maybe i was just trying to block out all them down years.

Last edited by KingCanadain1976: 02-16-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old
02-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

If we are talking NHL proven Bernier has proved more than Nino

Docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote