HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Who is you least favorite player for the franchise?

Old
02-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Cardiac_Canes

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by karparules View Post
Ryan Carter, Tom Kostopoulos, and Ian White. All three of these guys hated playing here and seemed to be pouting that they were banished to the Southeast Division. No pride in being NHLers at all. I'm glad they've all moved on.
Seriously, Kostopoulos? That guy gave his all for the canes, he just wasn't very good.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Beardy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Let's face it, they're hockey players, and they're mostly a good group of guys. Even at the lowest barometer, as a group they don't approach the lowly status of many other sports. I won't consider anyone who played here for less than a year, and I didn't start paying daily attention to Hurricanes/hockey until Jan 2000. So, with those disclaimers...

It's probably a tie between Marek Malik and Chad LaRose, for different reasons. Malik because he was the worst player and aggravated me the most of any player, but LaRose due to the length of time that he has taken a roster spot. However, I've somewhat come to terms with LaRose, because his numbers are difficult to argue with and the fact that his coaches have trusted him cannot be ignored. But even with all of that rationality in place in my brain, it certainly didn't pain me to see him get scratched on Thursday.

Sean Hill in his final days was difficult to stomach. Those 225 PIMs in his last two years here came 2 minutes at a time, and they weren't for roughing.
I never understood the hate that Malik took year after year here... He led the team in plus minus basically every year and was very good at helping to keep the puck out of and away from the net. People expected him to be the next Pronger, which was completely unfair.

Beardy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 08:32 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Eric Belanger absolutely. I try to separate players who didn't like it here from people who weren't very good here, and Belanger was both.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Roboturner913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardy View Post
I never understood the hate that Malik took year after year here... He led the team in plus minus basically every year and was very good at helping to keep the puck out of and away from the net. People expected him to be the next Pronger, which was completely unfair.
People disliked him because he was a little soft and never used his size, but I always thought he was a pretty solid guy. If he had been 5-10 instead of 6-6 and played the same way he wouldn't have caught nearly as much flak. this team has had much worse d-men than him since he left.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:15 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Harrison reminds me of Malik.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:54 PM
totalkev

Current least favorite: Gleason

Historical least favorite: John Garrett

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:19 AM
geehaad

What problems *didn't* Malik have? He was slow, very little skill, didn't have any defensive sense, and must've thought that icing the puck was a good idea.

I didn't know Pronger...I knew Malik. He was terrible and slow in the days before being terrible and slow were truly exposed (during the "new NHL" period). Once the ice opened up, he was gone.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:49 AM
Hockyluv21

For recent players, I'd say Eric Belanger. Basically a good 3rd line center everywhere else but here, clearly didn't want to play here, and it showed.

Hockyluv21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:51 AM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
What did Roberts do/say?
I forget his exact quote, and my lazy google search didn't find it (someone with more motivation than me, have at 'er )

But it was something along the lines that he publicly said (in the Hockey News IIRC) that he left Carolina for the Leafs cause he wanted a shot at a cup before he retired.

Then we proceded to curb stomp Toronto in the 02 ECF and won a cup a few years later while he wasted away into nothingness. Or something to that effect

Carolinas Identity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:12 AM
loobarlow

Send a message via AIM to loobarlow
How do you guys actually know that people like Belanger, Carter, Kostopoulos, etc. didn't like it here?

These posts should be sourced. I want to read if they've said things.

I know Belanger apparently (if I recall correctly) had some issue with French-language support in the area, but still.

loobarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:59 AM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
What problems *didn't* Malik have? He was slow, very little skill, didn't have any defensive sense, and must've thought that icing the puck was a good idea.

I didn't know Pronger...I knew Malik. He was terrible and slow in the days before being terrible and slow were truly exposed (during the "new NHL" period). Once the ice opened up, he was gone.

Malik was a BIG guy who refused to use his body or size to his advantage. And that alone rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. If you're big and slow, you should hopefully, at least, be physical. This guy was Charmin soft. The guy made a ton of boneheaded mistakes and took lazy penalties. He did eventually improve enough to be a decent 3rd pairing guy, and then there's that one penalty shot that hes best known for now. But otherwise, he was a huge disappointment to many people who watched the games.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:57 AM
snakepliskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by loobarlow View Post
How do you guys actually know that people like Belanger, Carter, Kostopoulos, etc. didn't like it here?

These posts should be sourced. I want to read if they've said things.

I know Belanger apparently (if I recall correctly) had some issue with French-language support in the area, but still.
belanger was a pouting puss from day 1 he was here--i wanted to write down larose but i really dont hate him i just hate the way he is used should be permanent bottom 6 -i didnt have any problem w/ grahame and kinda liked him how can you dislike a goalie who paints his mask like a nascar driver-belanger is it for me

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Guy speaks English just fine. What are you talking about?

Or is there a large French-speaking community in LA, Minnesota, Edmonton etc. that I'm not aware of?

Old
02-17-2013, 02:19 PM
loobarlow

Send a message via AIM to loobarlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Guy speaks English just fine. What are you talking about?

Or is there a large French-speaking community in LA, Minnesota, Edmonton etc. that I'm not aware of?
This was the rumor that was going around at the time. He didn't fit in and it had something to do with the lack of a French community in the area.

That's why it'd be nice to see things sourced. It's hard to separate the real from the rumor.

loobarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:23 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
This was the rumor that was going around at the time. He didn't fit in and it had something to do with the lack of a French community in the area.

That's why it'd be nice to see things sourced. It's hard to separate the real from the rumor.
And lack of a French community is absurd. I've met more French people here than any other place I've been outside of France. Hell, there's regularly French bakers coming over here to intern with Lionel Vatinet at La Farm.

Belanger is up there for me, as is Patrick Eaves. A perpetually pouty primadonna on skates who was largely useless.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Sens1Canes2

There's a French community in Raleigh? Do tell...

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Belanger is up there for me, as is Patrick Eaves. A perpetually pouty primadonna on skates who was largely useless.
Don't get me started on that friggin guy and his shoe collection. I had actually forgotten about him.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:32 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Don't get me started on that friggin guy and his shoe collection. I had actually forgotten about him.
Haha. I was just going to bring up his shoes. I always liked Eaves skill set but he could never put it together. He had good size and speed. Always wanted him to turn into that elite 3rd liner that was a beast on the PK but he was too busy buying pumps on amazon.

GIN ANTONIC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:45 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd forgotten about his shoe collection! What I didn't forget is that whenever he'd disappear into the dressing room for some injury or equipment issue my wife would comment "Hmm...looks like Patricia broke a nail again."

Old
02-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

I never really knew much about the Eaves shoe collection thing. Can somebody explain what the big deal was?

Head Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:08 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

I dug up an old (2007) "Patrick Eaves and his shoes" thread from the Sens board, and under "Currently active users" it was garnettpalmetto and myself.

PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:11 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
I never really knew much about the Eaves shoe collection thing. Can somebody explain what the big deal was?
Let the video tell the tale

Old
02-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Let the video tell the tale
And...I now understand everything.

Thanks for the video.

Also, thanks to you as well PaulProteus for your research.

Head Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:19 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
And...I now understand everything.

Thanks for the video.

Also, thanks to you as well PaulProteus for your research.
I hadn't thought about that video for ages, so I had only a vague memory of it. Glad to see the Interwebs still have it.

*shudders*

PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:23 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProteus View Post
I hadn't thought about that video for ages, so I had only a vague memory of it. Glad to see the Interwebs still have it.

*shudders*
Let's all pray that for the sake of Eaves' financial health he never gets traded to the Kings or Rangers.