HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jonathan Bernier

Old
02-16-2013, 09:12 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docgonzo View Post
If we are talking NHL proven Bernier has proved more than Nino
This just isn't true. In 55 games Nino has scored one goal. His job is to score goals in part and so he has yet to establish that part of his game on any credible level. Now I love Nino and would absolutely consider him in a deal for JB but your statement isn't correct at all in my opinion.

Where JB has played in fewer NHL games as a back up during his young career, he has posted respectable numbers.

GP 46
Wins 22
Losses 14 (discounting the four games that he came in as a replacement)
Ties 5
SO 5
GAA 2.12
SV% 909

The first dozen games of his career where spent playing for a team that had yet to develop its defence to the level that won it the cup or that it is today.

JB has not only proven that he can play at the NHL level but he has also proven that given the starts he can win. His numbers aren't great but they aren't terrible at all and given the circumstances I believe that they are actually very good.

Considering that JB as a back up is called in when the starter poops the bed (like his first game of this season and has happened in 4 of his other 14 losses) his numbers are actually very good.

I am not saying that JB is a red hot and ready to conquer the world young goalie today, only that he is truly ready to be a starter in the NHL and has shown that he gets better and better every time he is allowed to play as one.

Of course the entire thing is arguable and we are talking about two very good young prospects in Nino and JB but to say that JB has only proven as much as Nino as of today just isn't right to me.

Now as to value I think that they are close to the same in value or at least close enough to where claiming one is significantly more valuable than the other would be at best arguable.

Last edited by etherialone: 02-16-2013 at 09:21 PM.
etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:09 PM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
This just isn't true. In 55 games Nino has scored one goal. His job is to score goals in part and so he has yet to establish that part of his game on any credible level. Now I love Nino and would absolutely consider him in a deal for JB but your statement isn't correct at all in my opinion.

Where JB has played in fewer NHL games as a back up during his young career, he has posted respectable numbers.

GP 46
Wins 22
Losses 14 (discounting the four games that he came in as a replacement)
Ties 5
SO 5
GAA 2.12
SV% 909

The first dozen games of his career where spent playing for a team that had yet to develop its defence to the level that won it the cup or that it is today.

JB has not only proven that he can play at the NHL level but he has also proven that given the starts he can win. His numbers aren't great but they aren't terrible at all and given the circumstances I believe that they are actually very good.

Considering that JB as a back up is called in when the starter poops the bed (like his first game of this season and has happened in 4 of his other 14 losses) his numbers are actually very good.

I am not saying that JB is a red hot and ready to conquer the world young goalie today, only that he is truly ready to be a starter in the NHL and has shown that he gets better and better every time he is allowed to play as one.

Of course the entire thing is arguable and we are talking about two very good young prospects in Nino and JB but to say that JB has only proven as much as Nino as of today just isn't right to me.

Now as to value I think that they are close to the same in value or at least close enough to where claiming one is significantly more valuable than the other would be at best arguable.
Maybe I messed up on my wording, which could be since I hate my phone, but that's what I was saying. Everybody says
Bernier hasn't proved anything in the NHL but he's proved a lot more than Nino

Last edited by Docgonzo: 02-16-2013 at 11:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:38 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
I disagree with your assumeing that he can only put up back up numbers on a defensive team. He gets put in some of them games when Quick gets pulled and when he does get pulled its safe to assume the kings are losing, When a team is losing they open up there game and try to get goal this means there alot less defensive when they play Hence more opportunity to give up goals. This is something people dont think of when they look at berniers numbers. So in my mind bernier when he comes in isnt playing on the same defensive minded team. As ive been saying bernier will put up better number with the more games he gets in. Already being seen with the last couple games hes started hes only let in one goal in each. If your going to judge bernier fairly you need to watch him play. If i had a dollar for every time our announcer have said hes poised calm and has great rebound control i would be a rich man.
Isn't that true of every backup in hiatory, it's their job to get shoved in when things go bad. His starting .913 sv% is better than his non-starting but not exceptional given what Quick is doing on the same team.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:58 PM
funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Isn't that true of every backup in hiatory, it's their job to get shoved in when things go bad. His starting .913 sv% is better than his non-starting but not exceptional given what Quick is doing on the same team.
Remember that Quick also came close to a Vezina trophy and won the Conn Smythe setting many playoff records along the way. He was an exceptional goalie last year so I wouldn't try to compare the two. Saying that Bernier still proved to be very solid and I would love to see his stats if he got into a starting rythem.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:12 AM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Yes it is but to think that the team is still playing the same type of defensive game is rediculous You were stateing the the defensive game of the kings help him to better numbers.I was just pointing out that the team isn't the same when he goes into the game. Also as tg points out the kings we re not always the great defensive team they are today, When Bernier played in a few season back he was playing on a non playoff team Which also should be taken into consideration, Again watch the guy play and stop looking at the stats and u will see he need to play to gain both the confidense and stats you all seem to think he needs to show. The only reason Jb doesnt have the numbers is a sutter coached team goes with the hotter goalie and rides them as much as he can. With the magical season jq had you cant blame sutter for not playing him.

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:01 AM
gonnaneedsomewine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
While I agree with you in theory, Bernier is in the NHL and has been for sometime. He's proved far more than the others.
Yes he's proven he can stick around as a backup and have mild success when called upon to start. That's good for Kings fans.

But what does it do for the Isles? They have not seen him play/develop over the past 5 years, there is no proof that he can be a legitimate full time #1 goalie for the next 8 to 10 years, regardless of any projections or scouting reports.

There have been so many goalies considered the "next great thing" who have flopped. It's just extremely hard to tell and project how a guy will do without seeing him actually do it.

Remember the bouquets thrown Steven Mason's way after his rookie season? How does that look now? And he actually put together a full season's worth of solid stats.

It's just far too risky for the Isles to trade a potential top 6 power forward for a guy like Bernier or Schneider.

gonnaneedsomewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:42 AM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

The market for goalies is pretty low. Too many good goalies and not enough teams. You can always go to Europe and pick up really good talent for a bargain (look at Viktor Fasth)

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote