HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

New Jerseys

Old
02-16-2013, 08:20 PM
echlfreak

vCash: 500
New Jerseys

The Canes have been rumored to be getting new jerseys. Here is your chance to create your own mock up

My thoughts. Go back to our roots in Hartford

Can someone create something that mixes this jersey and these colors? I don't have those skills

Last edited by echlfreak: 02-16-2013 at 08:49 PM.
echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 08:22 PM
echlfreak

I like the classic and timeless jerseys! The Hurricane flag stripe has to go!

Old
02-16-2013, 08:37 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

No. Pissing off a part of your fanbase is not a good idea.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
I can see that photo

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 08:50 PM
Beardy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
The Canes have been rumored to be getting new jerseys. Here is your chance to create your own mock up

My thoughts. Go back to our roots in Hartford

/Users/ellis30/Desktop/HartfordWhalers84-85jersey.jpg/Users/ellis30/Desktop/Carolina_hurricanes_logo1022504.jpg

Can someone create something that mixes this jersey and these colors? I don't have those skills
Did you seriously just try to link us to a file located on your computer?

You have to upload it online before we can see...

That said... Any return to Hartford roots will never happen... We don't own their look anymore. And we are not going away from the color scheme we have due to where we play. So don't get your hopes up if you want any of that.

Beardy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 08:57 PM
echlfreak

http://www.buytojerseys.com/pic/NHL-...2003-34298.jpg

That other link was a link I copy and pasted? I googled it...try x2

Old
02-16-2013, 08:58 PM
echlfreak

obviously with the the red, balck, silver and white colors though..not green and blue!!!!!

Old
02-16-2013, 09:03 PM
Roboturner913

I like things the way they are. If they redesign it should be subtle. I could even go with a touch of the old Whalers navy blue in place of the black, but keep the green out of it.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:07 PM
Beardy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
obviously with the the red, balck, silver and white colors though..not green and blue!!!!!
Cannot use that logo... The city of Hartford owns it and we'd be in a world of legal trouble if we tried...

If anything, you might see the home and road change up a bit... Knowing the alternates are not changing, I'm guessing the secondary logo will become the main going forward...

Beardy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:10 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

No. Just no. Let that nonfecund franchise slowly wither and die from memory on the dustbin of hockey history. Let such idiocies as Pucky, Brass Bonanza, and green cooperalls fade until they become an almost hallucination. The Whalers are dead and I'm glad - may the only memento of their existence be our goal horn - all the rest, playing in shopping malls included, can be consigned to never be brought up again.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:47 PM
TheBigKahuna

Solid black with black stripes, black logos and black numbers....the monochromatic look!

TheBigKahuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:57 AM
tattooedsean
Hockey Maniac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
No. Just no. Let that nonfecund franchise slowly wither and die from memory on the dustbin of hockey history. Let such idiocies as Pucky, Brass Bonanza, and green cooperalls fade until they become an almost hallucination. The Whalers are dead and I'm glad - may the only memento of their existence be our goal horn - all the rest, playing in shopping malls included, can be consigned to never be brought up again.

why all the anger?

tattooedsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:55 AM
TheBigKahuna

For the record, Rutherford has said that the Canes will never do anything associated with the Whalers name, logo, etc. It's all owned by someone else now anyhow.

TheBigKahuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Clark Gillies
HFBoards Sponsor

I am pretty sure we will only see some minor tweaks.
Things I wouldn't mind include:

1) Lose the piping around the shoulders - The only jersey I have bought since the reebok redo has been a black one because it does not have the ridiculous shoulder outline.

2) Get rid of the "metallic" silver trim on the arms and the bottom.

3) simplify the arm stripe with one consistent with band, not the tapered growing look, could be one or two colors - I wouldn't even mind the hurricane flags around the arms if they lose them around the waist.

Clark Gillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:07 AM
snakepliskin

like what we got if anything take the bottom band away and more red-and wear red on red on red like the old soviet army would be more intimidatin--red on red w/hurricanes in just basic plain block letters-simple numbers too--(i think i'm on to something here)

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:48 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
I wouldn't go this far.

It's really too bad that the Hartford-to-Raleigh (by way of Greensboro) move was so acrimonious and handled so badly.

There is no reason why the Whalers logo should be "owned by the city of Hartford". How the hell did that even happen? A franchise should own its own logo. When they move, they should be able to use a variation of that logo, or use it on throwbacks, or whatever. It should remain the property of the franchise, not the city they originated in.

I sure hope Karmanos (and every other NHL owner) has fixed this legal flub and going forward will control their own trademarks. Teams move. The Carolina Hurricanes (despite what GarnetPalmetto and many others seem to want) ARE the Hartford Whalers, for all intents and purposes. The team moved and changed their name, that's all.

I was a Whalers fan - now I'm a Canes fan. It's the same damn franchise. There shouldn't be this bizarre fan group allied with some politicians in Connecticut holding the previous name and logo hostage in some misguided hope that the Whalers reappear in New England.

Let it go, Hartford. Let the team go, let the logo go. If you want a new NHL team, pick a new logo and name.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:28 PM
loobarlow

Send a message via AIM to loobarlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
There is no reason why the Whalers logo should be "owned by the city of Hartford". How the hell did that even happen? A franchise should own its own logo. When they move, they should be able to use a variation of that logo, or use it on throwbacks, or whatever. It should remain the property of the franchise, not the city they originated in.

I sure hope Karmanos (and every other NHL owner) has fixed this legal flub and going forward will control their own trademarks. Teams move. The Carolina Hurricanes (despite what GarnetPalmetto and many others seem to want) ARE the Hartford Whalers, for all intents and purposes. The team moved and changed their name, that's all.
I don't know about that - if teams weren't heavily subsidized by their cities in almost every case, I would definitely agree.

I'm not sure how Hartford specifically handled it, but the idea of the brand being tied to the city makes sense to me when the city has invested heavily. It's extra incentive not to move the team and a potential ROI if the team is to return (ala Winnipeg).

loobarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

we will not get rid of the red

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:48 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

I'm going to hate any change to our sweaters unless we start rolling out minor league style promotional sets like these I saw in the main board's "worst sweaters ever" thread.

Edit: IIRC, it's the CHL Quad City Mallards (whom I've actually seen play) on the left, the Las Vegas Wranglers on the right.

Last edited by PaulProteus: 02-17-2013 at 03:11 PM.
PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:08 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loobarlow View Post
I don't know about that - if teams weren't heavily subsidized by their cities in almost every case, I would definitely agree.

I'm not sure how Hartford specifically handled it, but the idea of the brand being tied to the city makes sense to me when the city has invested heavily. It's extra incentive not to move the team and a potential ROI if the team is to return (ala Winnipeg).
Yes I know what you're saying, but an owner - before spending his cash - should get the trademarks in perpetuity in the deal. That's what I'd be asking for, if I were going to foot the bill for a new franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
we will not get rid of the red
Of course not.

I don't really think the jerseys need much of a change, but to shake things up a bit, why not go with the 3rd for a year or so? I'd love to see a red or white version of it, anyway. We have an awesome 3rd jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProteus View Post
I'm going to hate any change to our sweaters unless we start rolling out minor league style promotional sets like these I saw in the main board's "worst sweaters ever" thread.

MOTHER OF GOD

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Anton Antoff

Coordinate with NC State and let's go green.

Anton Antoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Roboturner913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Gillies View Post
I am pretty sure we will only see some minor tweaks.
Things I wouldn't mind include:

1) Lose the piping around the shoulders - The only jersey I have bought since the reebok redo has been a black one because it does not have the ridiculous shoulder outline.

2) Get rid of the "metallic" silver trim on the arms and the bottom.

3) simplify the arm stripe with one consistent with band, not the tapered growing look, could be one or two colors - I wouldn't even mind the hurricane flags around the arms if they lose them around the waist.
I would keep the piping on the shoulders, but instead of rounding it off at the shoulder, extend it all the way down the arm vertically, like the Capitals jersey. Get rid of the flags altogether, because it's not immediately obvious what they are. Go with some simpler striping there. And as I said before, seriously consider using navy blue in place of the black and take the metallic silver down a notch to a lighter gray. I maybe can draw something up later.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Clark Gillies
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
I would keep the piping on the shoulders, but instead of rounding it off at the shoulder, extend it all the way down the arm vertically, like the Capitals jersey. Get rid of the flags altogether, because it's not immediately obvious what they are. Go with some simpler striping there. And as I said before, seriously consider using navy blue in place of the black and take the metallic silver down a notch to a lighter gray. I maybe can draw something up later.
Good points, except I have no desire to see Navy blue in the Canes scheme.

Watching the Kings game - their piping extends downs the arms, I agree much better look than rounding it off. Another option is to make the shoulders a different color, that works as well - what we have doesn't.

I am fine with a silver/gray but not the sparkly metallic stuff we currently sport.

I am indifferent to the flags, I know some are sentimental about them which is why I suggested keeping them but if they lost them I would not miss them one bit.

Clark Gillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:52 PM
Roboturner913

My Paint skills are far from great and I refuse anymore to use Photoshop at home since I do it all day at work...but here's a quick mockup I cannibalized:

Old
02-18-2013, 01:18 AM
Mr America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post

I don't really think the jerseys need much of a change, but to shake things up a bit, why not go with the 3rd for a year or so? I'd love to see a red or white version of it, anyway. We have an awesome 3rd jersey.
The third jerseys are terrible. The fact that they use the tropical storm flag is seriously lame, and incorrect.

It'd be like the ducks putting a swan on their jerseys.

Mr America is offline   Reply With Quote