HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Trade Rumor Thread III: "Trade 40 goal scorer for picks= Cup contenders" edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Lundsanity30

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Some of you guys are just SO HUNGRY to make a deal for the sake of making one. Just leave the team be and let them develop ... heck even if this year doesn't work out, it wouldn't be the worst thing to let the team come into a real camp next year, learn, gel, get conditioned, etc. Too much turn over on a team is a HORRIBLE thing.
It took the Heat a full year...

Old
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Let's do Colton Orr for Del Zotto! Seriously, have you had a post that wasn't saying how terrible Del Zotto or Staal are?
I know I tend to rag on both of them but I really believe in my heart that Del Zotto's lack of hockey smarts will hinder his growth especially defensively where he looks lost far too often.

Old
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFW View Post
Stepan is a proven forward.

The Avs aren't necessarily in the driver's seat, here. They can either sit on an unsigned ROR or they can move him for what they get.
I dont see how giving up Stepan for ROR does anything for this team. Then they are just as limited at center as they were before the trade.

Moving a 51 point guy for a 55 point guy isnt really much of an improvement.

They need ROR AND Stepan.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR21 View Post
When Corey Pronman over at Hockey Prospectus did his Top 50 under 23 rankings last fall, O'Reilly checked in at 17th. Del Zotto was 28th. Stepan was 34th.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1398
Pronman is a class A jack ass.

Old
Alphaphaget
Carpe dizzem

vCash: 400
Quote:
Some of you guys are just SO HUNGRY to make a deal for the sake of making one. Just leave the team be and let them develop ... heck even if this year doesn't work out, it wouldn't be the worst thing to let the team come into a real camp next year, learn, gel, get conditioned, etc. Too much turn over on a team is a HORRIBLE thing.
Agreed, but this is pretty much the year right now. Next year we're going to be in for a rocky ride with the cap going down.

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Do you really think they'd give us ROR and Johnson their only good defenseman?
I do. But he has a concussion right now. Not sure how severe etc.

They may just want a major shake-up. They have young dmen on the way.

Old
Alphaphaget
Carpe dizzem

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
I dont see how giving up Stepan for ROR does anything for this team. Then they are just as limited at center as they were before the trade.

Moving a 51 point guy for a 55 point guy isnt really much of an improvement.
Then you haven't watched ROR play.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:33 PM
GregSirico

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Johnson would be the perfect final piece for the Rangers top 4. Great skater. Positionally sound. Hard shot. Big guy. RD.
Thought he was hurt?

Old
SnowblindNYR

Say what you want about Del Zotto. He's still our best offensive defenseman. Stralman has a shot that gets on net, but he rarely scores or creates a goal with it. If Stralman is your best offensive D-man you have a problem.

Old
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Suggested it would take Del Zotto. I'd do that trade without hesitation. Del Zotto is going to command a ton on his next contract.

McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, Stralman is a fine top four. Its a lot easier to find cheap 3rd pair players as stop gaps until Skjei/McIlrath/Noreau are ready. McDonagh, Staal, and Girardi are far more important to this club then Del Zotto is, IMO.

O'Reilly would be a great addition. O'Reilly, Stepan, Miller, Lindberg is very good depth down the middle.
I feel exactly the same way as you do.

Old
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Stepan is a proven forward.

The Avs aren't necessarily in the driver's seat, here. They can either sit on an unsigned ROR or they can move him for what they get.
Proven forward most certainly means proven winger in the Avs case.

Old
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Agreed, but this is pretty much the year right now. Next year we're going to be in for a rocky ride with the cap going down.
the cap is going down very little next year, Rangers are not just built for this year and next year imo.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:34 PM
GregSirico

Quote:
The cap point is a very good one ... but you have a shortened season and the team already hasn't clicked on all cylinders and you guys want to make deals ... sheesh.

Old
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Boyle is a proven forward and would be a cheaper 3rd line center for them

Old
slipknottin

Quote:
Then you haven't watched ROR play.
No, thats not my point. ROR is a better player, yes. But that isnt helping the team overall that much. Because they are also losing all of Stepans production.

Richards + ROR is not that much better than Richards + Stepan. Especially when compared to Richards + ROR + Stepan.

I never understood why some are so eager to give away a 22 year old 50+ point player.

Old
GregSirico

Quote:
Say what you want about Del Zotto. He's still our best offensive defenseman. Stralman has a shot that gets on net, but he rarely scores or creates a goal with it. If Stralman is your best offensive D-man you have a problem.
BINGO! Which is why this trade makes NO SENSE.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:35 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
He is, but he isn't exactly lighting the world on fire. Where do you see him progressing to? Is his offensive output ceiling that much higher than Stralman or McDonagh? I don't think so.

Old
Lundsanity30

I guess it must be because ROR is younger (though it sounds like his cap hit is gonna be pretty big from what he wants), but I can bring up many pages from the Rick Nash trade thread where almost absolutely everyone was against trading Del Zotto for him, now we're ok trading him for ROR?

Old
GregSirico

Quote:
He is, but he isn't exactly lighting the world on fire. Where do you see him progressing to? Is his offensive output ceiling that much higher than Stralman or McDonagh? I don't think so.
I think it is.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:37 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
I know I tend to rag on both of them but I really believe in my heart that Del Zotto's lack of hockey smarts will hinder his growth especially defensively where he looks lost far too often.
MDZ is a flawed hockey player. He also is our only passable offensive defenseman. Ryan O'Reilly is a guy that scored 52 points total in his first 2 seasons. The guy you always rag on scored almost twice as many in his first 2 years (Stepan). How do we know 55 was not a fluke? I don't want another Brian Boyle if I'm giving up Del Zotto. Plus compare the way MDZ handled his contract issue and the way ROR did. How do you know ROR won't hold out at some point later if he has a good season? Considering he's doing it now after a 55 point season, he won't have to put up a point per game to hold out.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:37 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I think it is.
I see it sometimes but mentally I think he still has some pretty large strides to make. Consistency is not a strength of his.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:38 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
MDZ is a flawed hockey player. He also is our only passable offensive defenseman. Ryan O'Reilly is a guy that scored 52 points total in his first 2 seasons. The guy you always rag on scored almost twice as many in his first 2 years (Stepan). How do we know 55 was not a fluke? I don't want another Brian Boyle if I'm giving up Del Zotto. Plus compare the way MDZ handled his contract issue and the way ROR did. How do you know ROR won't hold out at some point later if he has a good season? Considering he's doing it now after a 55 point season, he won't have to put up a point per game to hold out.
You can't compare O'Reilly to Boyle.

Stepan scored those points at a much older age.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:39 PM
slipknottin

MDZ has 10 more points a season than Staal, or Girardi. 10.

And he is almost completely useless on the power play.

You dont think 10 points can be made up elsewhere?

Old
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
I see it sometimes but mentally I think he still has some pretty large strides to make. Consistency is not a strength of his.
I love McDonagh and like Stralman, but Del Zotto is in another league as a passer compared to those 2 guys. I also think you can't bank on potential 3 years down the road when you're trying to win a cup.

Old
Alphaphaget
Carpe dizzem

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
No, thats not my point. ROR is a better player, yes. But that isnt helping the team overall that much. Because they are also losing all of Stepans production.

Richards + ROR is not that much better than Richards + Stepan. Especially when compared to Richards + ROR + Stepan.

I never understood why some are so eager to give away a 22 year old 50+ point player.
ROR is a far more rounded player than Stepan. The only downside to ROR is that he isn't signed, which makes their values far more comparable in the context of a trade. Nobody is 'eager' to 'give away' Stepan. I'm just more willing to give up Stepan than create a major hole on defense by trading away MDZ.

Closed Thread